"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    vzok wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    DAD is at least memorable, amusing and entertaining, even if in a comedic way. I've always believed that the film was intended as a caricature. The lines in themselves suggest this. They were written for maximum cringe effect. Wit was not the goal here. It succeeded at what it wanted to be. Strangely, that was an amalgam of two films: a more serious low key earlier half which harkened back to the past, followed by a terribly OTT contemporary last half.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of its predecessor, which I found insipid, tedious and forgettable.

You mean they aimed for really bad dialogue and one-liners? Why would they aim to be bad?
    Well because such rubbish couldn't have been accidental. Unless of course they believed one of the classic lines in their own product:

"I am so good."
    "Especially when you`re bad."

• edited August 2016 Posts: 4,025
    vzok wrote: »
    DAD is at least memorable, amusing and entertaining, even if in a comedic way. I've always believed that the film was intended as a caricature. The lines in themselves suggest this. They were written for maximum cringe effect. Wit was not the goal here. It succeeded at what it wanted to be. Strangely, that was an amalgam of two films: a more serious low key earlier half which harkened back to the past, followed by a terribly OTT contemporary last half.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of its predecessor, which I found insipid, tedious and forgettable.

You mean they aimed for really bad dialogue and one-liners? Why would they aim to be bad?
    Well because such rubbish couldn't have been accidental. Unless of course they believed one of the classic lines in their own product:

"I am so good."
    "Especially when you`re bad."

I can see that lines like that are horrible. I can see that they put the line in the script (it didn't go through by accident).

If they thought it was rubbish why put it in there? That wouldn't do anyone any good.

Actually the line you quote is far from the worst. Ornathologist....there's a mouthful (looks at crotch). The line is awful and the delivery is worse.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think it is a matter of condecension. They thought the stupid audience would love it.
    I think it is a matter of condecension. They thought the stupid audience would love it.

Well I think they thought the audience would love it. I also think they thought these were the sort of one-liners Bond movies had always done.

• vzok wrote: »

Well I think they thought the audience would love it. I also think they thought these were the sort of one-liners Bond movies had always done.

I agree. The Brosnan films before DAD were already littered with these kind of one liners. DAD just turned up the dial. I always say the Brosnan films subverted the character of Bond to being a 12 year old's idea of the ultimate 'cool guy.'
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    And Brosnan could never deliver the lines as well as Connery or Moore, who were more 'natural' performing them.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117

I always say the Brosnan films subverted the character of Bond to being a 12 year old's idea of the ultimate 'cool guy.'

An excellent summary.

Straightening the tie underwater a particularly low point. Like something out of a Bond video game.
    Ha ha ha. That was Brosnan's idea on set!!!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Is that any more "juvenile" than straightening cuffs after leaping off of a piece of construction equipment on to a train. The others, including Connery, had these little moments. I don't have a problem with it.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    talos7 wrote: »
    Is that any more "juvenile" than straightening cuffs after leaping off of a piece of construction equipment on to a train. The others, including Connery, had these little moments. I don't have a problem with it.

When he did it in GE it was class, same as when Dan did the cuffs.

When he did it in TWINE it just came across as forced and desperate - someone trying too hard to come up with an iconic moment. Of course Arnold doesn't help matters by drawing attention to it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well, thankfully we can all have an opinion ;)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 15,818
    suavejmf wrote: »
    And Brosnan could never deliver the lines as well as Connery or Moore, who were more 'natural' performing them.

The Bond/Fatima version of that scene in NSNA is played so much better and more natural. I can attest in the cinema the audience loved the "but my Martini's still dry".
    Connery is THE MAN. Pierce, in DAD with Jinx just comes off unfortunately as sleazy.
    Even the "Christmas comes once a year" line makes Pierce come off as sleazy/creepy whereas had the 57 year old Moore said something like that in AVTAK, he could make the delivery funny, and himself still be likable.
    The tie-straightening under water is cheesy but it doesn't bother me like it does some.

Obviously the director thought it was funny enough to include in the film.

edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883

I always say the Brosnan films subverted the character of Bond to being a 12 year old's idea of the ultimate 'cool guy.'

An excellent summary.

Straightening the tie underwater a particularly low point. Like something out of a Bond video game.
    I agree. Well said, both of you.

When he did it in TWINE it just came across as forced and desperate - someone trying too hard to come up with an iconic moment. Of course Arnold doesn't help matters by drawing attention to it.
    Agreed again. I didn't have a problem with GE or SF, although I would have preferred if it was not done in both cases as well.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

The Bond/Fatima version of that scene in NSNA is played so much better and more natural. I can attest in the cinema the audience loved the "but my Martini's still dry".
    Connery is THE MAN. Pierce, in DAD with Jinx just comes off unfortunately as sleazy.
    Even the "Christmas comes once a year" line makes Pierce come off as sleazy/creepy whereas had the 57 year old Moore said something like that in AVTAK, he could make the delivery funny, and himself still be likable.
    Once again, I'm in agreement. This is a record.
    DAD is dead
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    I have the whole workprint. This is just an excerpt.

Exactly.
    Not sure about Dan doing the cuffs, it's kinda like, aren't we meant to be moving away from the Brosnan type Bond film?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Not sure about Dan doing the cuffs, it's kinda like, aren't we meant to be moving away from the Brosnan type Bond film?

Parts of Spectre especially did feel quite Brosnan-esque (escaping from Blofeld's base, landing on the sofa, landing by the river with parachute, the New York, New York blast during the car chase...heck the whole car chase was almost out of a Brosnan era PS2 game).

That "cheesy" aspect seemed to creep back.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    And this is a perfect word to describe it. It actually started to creep back in SF (with the aforementioned cuff situation and Circle of Life etc.) but was nicely balanced in that prior film by superb dialogue and wit in other scenes (including the psyche evaluation, Q meet etc. etc.). This was not the case in the latest effort, and so these moments stood out more.

The problem for me is that EON poked fun at themselves earlier in the Craig era. Almost pissed on their own legacy. Once one has done that, I think it's difficult to credibly go back to embracing what you lambasted previously. As an example, in the SF Q meet, we are told that they don't go in for exploding pens. Perhaps not, but an exploding watch is just fine only one film later, apparently.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,325
    And this is a perfect word to describe it. It actually started to creep back in SF (with the aforementioned cuff situation and Circle of Life etc.) but was nicely balanced in that prior film by superb dialogue and wit in other scenes (including the psyche evaluation, Q meet etc. etc.). This was not the case in the latest effort, and so these moments stood out more.

The problem for me is that EON poked fun at themselves earlier in the Craig era. Almost pissed on their own legacy. Once one has done that, I think it's difficult to credibly go back to embracing what you lambasted previously. As an example, in the SF Q meet, we are told that they don't go in for exploding pens. Perhaps not, but an exploding watch is just fine only one film later, apparently.

It seems that with CR they felt they couldn't do cheesy Bond because of Austin Powers and have tried to work their way back there. They should have kept with the tone and style of CR. Spectre SHOULD have led into a perfect adaptation of YOLT. But that possibility is now littered with issues cos of what they did in Spectre.

Which leads me to think that Bond 25 is on the backburner because now they don't know which direction to go in.
    I'd put SP several notches above DAD because of some excellent scenes (Craig's encounter with MB, the train fight, the Spectre meeting). However, after watching a fair chunk of it the other night, it did feel a bit...meh

Even some of the more drama-based scenes felt clichéd (Bond looking at the "Vesper interrogation" tape before being called away by Madeline).

...and why in films do they keep using the Chess-cunning-schemer-metaphor with the villains?
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It seems that with CR they felt they couldn't do cheesy Bond because of Austin Powers and have tried to work their way back there. They should have kept with the tone and style of CR. Spectre SHOULD have led into a perfect adaptation of YOLT. But that possibility is now littered with issues cos of what they did in Spectre.

Which leads me to think that Bond 25 is on the backburner because now they don't know which direction to go in.
    I agree that they should have kept the more serious tone and relied on wit and dialogue for humour rather than tropes and slapstick.

However, I think they knew what they were doing with SP. The plot issues were discussed by execs during the production process. So I believe they wanted to keep it somewhat open ended, but also intended to close off the Craig era with this film, giving him a more light hearted last chapter (perhaps even at his request). Time will tell if this is in fact the case.
    I'd put SP several notches above DAD because of several excellent scenes (Craig's encounter with MB, the train fight, the Spectre meeting). However, as a whole, after watching a fair chunk of it the other night it did feel a bit...meh
    I know people will disagree with me on this, but on a pure 'enjoyment' scale, I'll put DAD several notches above SP. DAD is colourful, has spark and is much more entertaining to me. It's unabashedly OTT.
    SP and DAD both left me feeling disappointed after leaving the cinema, but SP is one of the least re-watchable Bond films I have seen so far, hasn't got any better from repeat viewings. So you can bet "yo mama" which I would rather watch right now.
    ]I know people will disagree with me on this, but on a pure 'enjoyment' scale, I'll put DAD several notches above SP. DAD is colourful, has spark and is much more entertaining to me.

Count me in as one of those 'people'. Difficult to enjoy something when you're cringing into your seat with embarrassment. SP has its flaws for sure but not enough to challenge the DAD supremacy.

I genuinely think after coming out of DAD if someone had asked me if I was a Bond fan I'd have done a St Peter and said 'Not I' thrice until the cock crowed. (Perhaps Jesus got the same company that did the tsunami CGI in DAD to do his walking on water stunt and Peter was so embarrassed he didn't want to admit to have anything to do with him?)
    SP and DAD both left me feeling disappointed after leaving the cinema, but SP is one of the least re-watchable Bond films I have seen so far, hasn't got any better from repeat viewings. So you can bet "yo mama" which I would rather watch right now.

My god there's DAD apologists springing up everywhere. It's like Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

SP left me feeling disappointed to be sure. DAD left me feeling depressed. There's a subtle difference.
    ]I know people will disagree with me on this, but on a pure 'enjoyment' scale, I'll put DAD several notches above SP. DAD is colourful, has spark and is much more entertaining to me.

Count me in as one of those 'people'. Difficult to enjoy something when you're cringing into your seat with embarrassment. SP has its flaws for sure but not enough to challenge the DAD supremacy.

I genuinely think after coming out of DAD if someone had asked me if I was a Bond fan I'd have done a St Peter and said 'Not I' thrice until the cock crowed. (Perhaps Jesus got the same company that did the tsunami CGI in DAD to do his walking on water stunt and Peter was so embarrassed he didn't want to admit to have anything to do with him?)

My god there's DAD apologists springing up everywhere. It's like Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

SP left me feeling disappointed to be sure. DAD left me feeling depressed. There's a subtle difference.

DAD left me angry and perplexed.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,425

I was not a fan of any of these moments. Always hated the tank chase and the PTS in SF is from the same playbook IMO - lame OTT 'comedy' action sequences that end up just being utterly dire.

There are others of course - like the fire engine in AVTAK. But the sartorial adjustments were just the icing on the lame cake
    The fire truck chase is the worst of the lot as it lasts a whole damn scene.
    In my case, such previously unimaginable denial of fandom occurred after TWINE's release. I was beyond embarrassed by that debacle, and the performances therein, especially of the lead actor.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,425
    For me it was after GE.

For a long time I felt Bond was iredeemibly mired in the straight to DVD bin of history.

CR and QOS changed that, although Mendes has squandered much of the good work that had been to create a new fresh direction