DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Agent007391, at least we have the DC Animated Universe with Batman, Superman and Justice League. I find myself returning to those as my interest in the DCEU decreases. Dini needs to be canonized so that we can have a saint's day for him.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The DCAU is the reason I love superheroes. It's what introduced me to them, and it'll always be the standard to which I hold anything superhero related. Kevin Conroy is Batman, Mark Hamill is the Joker, Clancy Brown is Lex Luthor and Tim Daly is Superman. These are icons who will never be replaced, and when I see the DCEU doing what it's doing, it always hurts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The DCAU is the reason I love superheroes. It's what introduced me to them, and it'll always be the standard to which I hold anything superhero related. Kevin Conroy is Batman, Mark Hamill is the Joker, Clancy Brown is Lex Luthor and Tim Daly is Superman. These are icons who will never be replaced, and when I see the DCEU doing what it's doing, it always hurts.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I know which Justice League I prefer.

tumblr_mzxgfyJa4p1rrkahjo10_400.gif
    tumblr_n52uzn5PRz1rei3gfo4_250.gif
    Passing through...

The third and fourth seasons of Justice League (Unlimted) were very good.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 5,821
    Guess who's the president is in Supergirl ?

comicbookresources.com/article/look-first-photo-of-lynda-carter-on-supergirl

carter-benoist-d82f7.jpg

She hasn't changed a bit !
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd still hit it.
    I was curious how Suicide Squad would look to me, since I read a lot about how the film characters are accurate or not to the comic books, and I don´t care for comic books. I just want to see a good film.
    I didn´t. David Ayer sure knows how to direct actors. But I must fully agree to those who said this film cannot be what Ayer intended. It seems obvious that something went wrong big time with the editing of this film. I can´t remember when I last watched a film that featured such bad storytelling and where I found pretty much all performances very good, yet nevertheless didn´t care for any of the characters or for the story. What a waste of good acting. Especially Smith, Davis and Kinnaman immediately controlled the screen, and Jay Courtney really was as present and amusing as the trailer promised. As for Leto, as cool as his performance was, he somehow felt totally in the wrong place, he didn´t do anything for me.
    This is a very interesting review, a bit off the usual track:

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/features/759217-the-horror-of-suicide-squad#/slide/1
    boldfinger wrote: »

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/features/759217-the-horror-of-suicide-squad#/slide/1

Another Kubrick comparison. Christ almighty, these people deserve a thousand lashes for such a ludicrous remark...

The thing I find amusing is that some actually think this film is dark. No, it could have been dark and twisted and thought-provoking. It just decided not to be, in the face of the BvS critic brigade. The darkness would've reached 11 if the characters we saw were who they are on the comics page.

In the comics, Deadshot has a messed up background, and accidentally killed his brother while attempting to stop the boy from killing his bad father. When Lawton got the Deadshot persona, he sought out the Suicide Squad because he had nothing to live for and wanted a chance to die in a spectacular fashion, like a warrior. His quasi-suicidal goal went on and on, as he tempted death. Later on, his son was killed by a pedophile, and his life continued to spin out of control. His sense of trust is non-existent, and he's very much on his own in life, aside from his little girl, who is his only outlet for humanity.

Harley is a pseudo-intellectual who sleeps her way to a psychology degree and has a hard on for the crazies, who she wants to use to give her fame, which draws her to Joker, who gains her sympathy and over time, manipulates her to his side. No matter how much cursing he throws at her, no matter how much he beats her, she always comes back to Joker because her love for him is so great, and she thinks one day he will actually return that adoration to her. She's still waiting...

Croc has a disease that has gradually sapped away his humanity. Day by day more animal replaces the human, driving him further into the beast mode of a predator. Society shuns him because they don't care to understand his situation, driving him from the world and into the sewers below Gotham with the only kind he relates to: the animals. At times it's hard to tell if he's acting out of vengeance, or if his animal side has fully taken over. And of course there's his thirst for human flesh...

I could go on and on, but the point I'm making is, the person that wrote that article didn't know all this, or how truly dark and twisted Suicide Squad could have been. Instead, we got a one-liner slinging, comedy relief Deadshot, a sexpot clown hooker Harley sapped of any interesting qualities (and nothing like her Mad Love portrayal), and a Croc whose sole existence on screen is to stand in for very badly written black stereotypes, giving us only an ounce of a hint towards his troubling situation at the service of a weak joke.

This movie could have been so much better, so much more interesting, but for some reason they went with a villain too overpowered for a bunch of mere mortals to face instead of a more human threat that would have allowed the filmmakers more time to naturally develop all of the characters over the course of the film. What we have here is a narrative mess, and at some points watching it is like trying to create a story out of a diorama that's made up of nothing but disparate images shoddily glued to a cardboard backing, with no sense of order or pacing or structure beyond chaos.

This is a film you don't like the more you think about it, in case you haven't guessed from my side of things.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bvs isn t bright enough, SS isn t dark enough.

DC, pull yourselves together.

Another Kubrick comparison. Christ almighty, these people deserve a thousand lashes for such a ludicrous remark...
    Good lord, had I suspected to unleash a bout of paranoia I wouldn´t have posted that link.

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Bvs isn t bright enough, SS isn t dark enough.

DC, pull yourselves together.

I guess I may be one of the few people on the planet who liked the darker and heavier tones of MOS and BvS. That's why it kills me to see what they did with Suicide Squad. There's no edginess, weight, or drama in the film. It's just poorly executed superficial "fun" for a few hours.
    14064127_1103925469689898_7317562044605909327_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=6ddbee9631b411f1395e412568d25fb2&oe=58537E30
    So now there might be 8 cuts of SS, the one released, the dossier cut, is a mix of the the director's cut and the trailer trash cut. and the more i read and discover about the commercial deals and deadlines put on the film the more disdain I have for WB and DC.

They put the script, the art of story telling way down on the list on making this film. it was just a vehicle to sell merch, co-opt sponsorship deals in different markets to create money for the JL and the other DC movies going fwd.

I'll wait for someone to lend me a copy of all DC movies in the future - I'd rather see the characters where DC have got them right and that's in novels.

Tom Hardy dropping out should have told us something.

Good lord, had I suspected to unleash a bout of paranoia I wouldn´t have posted that link.

It's got nothing to do with paranoia. I just get a kick out of people actually trying to argue that anything Snyder or Ayer have done is to the auteur level of Kubrick. I mean, let's get real. Seriously.

Awesome...
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 533
    All I have been reading is how DC Comics has dropped the ball or has failed in its comic universe. And for me, this message has become redundant. I sometimes get the feeling that Marvel and Disney has either brainwashed the moviegoers of the world through its media or that many are afraid of the possibility that the DC Comics movieverse might be moving up.

I've seen nearly all of the comic book movies this year. Despite the box office returns, I came away feeling more impressed by the DC Comics output than Marvel. I'm certain that Marvel has some very good movies in its future. But I believe the same can be said about DC Comics.

And I'll be damned if I get dragged into what I believe is this ridiculous Marvel v. DC Comics feud. It's ridiculous . . . at least to me. I refuse to believe I have to choose one over the other. I refuse to believe that one company, whether it be Marvel/Disney or DC Comics/Warner Bros. is better. Yet, I've been more impressed by the DC movies this year. But 2016 is not over. "Doctor Strange" has yet to be released. Who knows how I will feel about that movie. Nevertheless, I have NO INTENTION of choosing one over the other. I plan to watch the movies from both comic book series over the next few years.

It's got nothing to do with paranoia. I just get a kick out of people actually trying to argue that anything Snyder or Ayer have done is to the auteur level of Kubrick. I mean, let's get real. Seriously.

Have you ever considered the possibility that there are moviegoers who prefer Snyder and Ayer's works over Kubrick's? Or that's this is all subjective?

This is a film you don't like the more you think about it, in case you haven't guessed from my side of things.

Who do you think you are . . . telling us what we're not going to like or what we're going to like? What makes you think that everyone who reads this forum is going to share your opinion?
    @DRush76, spare me the headaches. On your second point, no, I don't expect people to think what I do, obviously. #-o I know what members here will have what reaction to these films, because that's all down to preference, nothing more, and that's fine, as we like what we like. Can you not tell that all that I am saying it true for me and me alone, or would you be happier if I instead placed "in my opinion" after every sentence I write just to be sure?

As for the Kubrick point (can't believe we're arguing this one), it's not about liking Kubrick over Ayer or Snyder, as some prefer rather "turn off the brain" fare over nuanced and layered filmmaking, though I think that's pretty sad in and of itself. What I'm saying is that it is objectively imbecilic and just plain erroneous from a perspective of cinematic analysis on all counts to compare the filmmaking of Snyder to a great extent and Ayer to a slightly lesser (as I think he's more of a talent) with the meticulous, obsessive direction of the nuanced Kubrick who was drowning in his own films, he was so involved with it all.

Why people are so keen to throw around statements like, "XXX's work is Kubrickian" and "XXX's auteur filmmaking recalls Kubrick's oeuvre" these days is puzzling to me. Let Stanley rest in peace with his legacy, and quit comparing him to lesser filmmakers who at this point don't deserve that comparison in the slightest. At this point Snyder is barely better than Michael Bay, his emphasis for storytelling has gone so far down the drain, and he's more of a glorified cinematographer than the creative force he could have been if he paid more attention to meaning and narrative.

What filmmaking comparisons can we expect next, if people really think Snyder's approach to filmmaking compares to how Stanley did it?

"M. Night Shyamalan's films display twists so strong they recall the genius of Hitchcock circa 'Rear Window.'"

"Brett Ratner's attention to both story and character in his engrossing works brings to mind the films of John Huston, and the works of both would be difficult to separate from one another if the late Huston had used color more prominently."

"Roland Emmerich's film epics are modern day representations of William Wyler's own epics, in ambition, scale and craftsmanship."

"Tyler Perry's knack for characterization and placing those characters in zany situations that net massive laughter for the audience is akin to the best of Billy Wilder at his peak."

"Uwe Boll's focus on camera positioning and innovative visuals in his cinematic work irrefutably make him today's Orson Welles, and we know his Citizen Kane is soon on the way."

8-|
    for anyone interested in the studio process of making films found the youtube channel - midnight's edge - good non-biased reporting and plenty of DC content - defo for cinema lovers.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Sanchairs, thanks for the recommendation. The channel looks to have some great content. For others similarly intrigued:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvrd6VtgWF7CwaZH1S0N-Qg

For the sake of getting seriously real, the author of that article mentions A Clockwork Orange, not Kubrick or auteur. And the context IMO makes it clear that he has in mind a comparison of the contents of those two films, and that is neither extremely far-fetched nor does it refer foremost to Kubrick or his auteur level. Furthermore, the way the review is written it doesn´t take side for how much the film succeeds in being A Clockwork Orange for kids.

That could be interesting. Deadman has so much potential.
    I'm happy to hear this. This opens the door to tons of great characters.
    Interesting. I'd love to see Constantine on the big screen, but after Suicide Squad failed to make an impactful team film, I have my worries that WB are going to get too many cooks in that kitchen again.

With this being announced and Man of Steel 2 rumored in a big way, I'm curious just how much the DC release schedule has changed. I think that at the very least Cyborg's solo has been axed in favor of a new film (Dark, Batman or MoS 2?), and he'll instead feature side by side Flash in that solo film. Even then, the movie release schedule will be going way over the "two films in one year" plan they've got going somewhere along the line.

The releases as we know it (so far):
    Wonder Woman (2017)
    Justice League (2017)
    The Flash (2018)
    Aquaman (2018)
    Unknown film (2018)
    Shazam (2019)
    Justice League sequel (2019)
    Unknown film (2019)
    Cyborg (2020)
    Green Lantern Corps (2020)

Movies rumored to also be coming:
    A Lobo film
    A Justice League Dark film
    A Batman solo movie
    Man of Steel 2
    Suicide Squad 2 (Ayer directing with R-rating)
    A Booster Gold film
    A Harley Quinn spin-off movie with other DC femmes

Good god, what a crazy mess. They should axe the Booster Gold and Lobo projects immediately, as they'll both bomb, making room for a less packed release schedule for the Batman and Superman solo, a Harley spin-off and Suicide Squad 2 to slide into the release schedule.

I think 2018 may be too soon for the Batman solo, making it at least 2019 that it'll come out. 2018 is also too early for Man of Steel 2, making me think that the Cyborg solo will be squashed to make room for that film instead. Other than that, I'm clueless as to how all this will fit in cleanly to the movie release schedule. There'll be numerous times where three DC films will hit in a year, if they even make it that far in their plans financially. Over-saturation will be on high, and if they can only repeat the results they've got so far, it's not a viable plan going ahead.
    Lobo and Booster Gold definitely wont happen.

I doubt Cyborg will happen too unless they make it into a Titans film or something. If not, it'll likely be pushed back several times until it eventually falls off the lineup.

WB execs are probably really anxious to get things moving on MOS2 and solo Batman.

As of now, I would almost prefer to have the JLD take the place of JL2.

And I have my fingers crossed they're actually serious about a Harley spinoff thing.
    Never heard of Booster Gold, but Lobo is indeed a terrible idea. A really shitty character.
    Never heard of Booster Gold, but Lobo is indeed a terrible idea. A really shitty character.

comicvine.gamespot.com/booster-gold/4005-1786/

That was an interesting concept. However, the series lasted only two years.

Thanks. Looks pretty horrible.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    For now we only have a mediocre MOS, a very disappointing BvS and the SS who looks like actually earn Warner/DC some money, if it doesn't collapse in the next week.

Wonder Woman will be the deciding factor. If it bombs, JL will be the last hope.
    If it just does so-so like BvS they might go on with their plans and hope for a huge hit in 2017.
    If it is a huge hit, they will probably think everything's swell and plan another 20 DC comic movies up to 2020.