'I'll Never Get Those Two Hours Back!' - Films you regret buying a ticket for.

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Interstellar is one film I wished I saw in theaters
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Interstellar is one film I wished I saw in theaters

I wished you had then and I didn't have to, it's certainly nearly 3 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

After what I would call a pretty brilliant run of films right up to Inception but then came the overlong mess that was TDKR and that all changed.

Though I have and will watch that film again as it's part of the DK trilogy, it's easily the worse of the 3 and disappointing after such a powerhouse as The Dark Kinight but is impressive as part of the overall story.

Whereas Interstellar was over long, self indulgent, meandering and downright mind numbingly boring. Also the performances aren't even anything to write about, I'd had my fill of Michael Caine crying in TDKR but more in Interstellar was insufferable.

I certainly hope he can redeem himself with Dunkirk, I certainly hope it's not going to be his Pearl Harbour. This subject deserves a truly great film and thankfully the pedigree involved indicate that is a distint possibilty, here's hoping.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote: »

I certainly hope he can redeem himself with Dunkirk, I certainly hope it's not going to be his Pearl Harbour. This subject deserves a truly great film and thankfully the pedigree involved indicate that is a distint possibilty, here's hoping.

Harry Styles would certainly also be my choice to do justice to such subject matter.
    Never mind two hours i will never get back, how about the three hours plus i had to endure Avatar. After more than a decade of inactivity the best that James Cameron could come up with was a lame sci-fi remake of Dances With Wolves with ten foot tall blue aliens.Think of all the films he could have made in those ten years. To make things worse Cameron now says he's Avatar til he dies. What a waste of talent. Aliens and Terminator seem like a long time ago now
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Harry Styles would certainly also be my choice to do justice to such subject matter.

@TheWizardOfIce, with everything surrounding Dunkirk being so secretive, are we even sure this is a drama we're getting? We could well be getting a pop World War II musical express from Nolan, featuring Styles in the main role, singing his heart away to the sounds of booming explosions and whizzing bullets, whose impacts act as the bass to his tunes. :-O
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Never mind two hours i will never get back, how about the three hours plus i had to endure Avatar. After more than a decade of inactivity the best that James Cameron could come up with was a lame sci-fi remake of Dances With Wolves with ten foot tall blue aliens.Think of all the films he could have made in those ten years. To make things worse Cameron now says he's Avatar til he dies. What a waste of talent. Aliens and Terminator seem like a long time ago now

I loved Avatar. I thought it was an incredible experience at the cinema. But screenwriting has never been Cameron's strong point.

I thought he was wasted doing Titanic. But the thought of him just making Avatar sequels from now on is a big disappointment. Do we really need a sequel to it in the first place?

Always wanted to see James Cameron's take on Batman...
    At points during Cameron's 10 year hiatus he was rumoured to be involved in the development of both Spiderman and Planet of the Apes. Although Raimi did a good job of Spidey i would loved to have seen Camerons take on it. And given what an almighty balls up Tim Burton made of POTA it's sad we never got to see what Cameron would have done with that. Burton's ape movie was another occasion i wished i could get my time and money back
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    At points during Cameron's 10 year hiatus he was rumoured to be involved in the development of both Spiderman and Planet of the Apes. Although Raimi did a good job of Spidey i would loved to have seen Camerons take on it. And given what an almighty balls up Tim Burton made of POTA it's sad we never got to see what Cameron would have done with that. Burton's ape movie was another occasion i wished i could get my time and money back

Thankfully I avoided Tim Burton's Ape remake at the cinema!

Cameron's version would have certainly been worth a look.

I still think he's probably the best action director in cinema.
    Cameron has lost the plot now. Content to just let his career peter out with endless Avatar sequels absolutely no one is clamouring for.

T1 and T2 pushed the limit technically but still had an involving story at their core. As he's been given more money to play with over time he has cared less about the story and more about covering new ground technically to the point where the script for Avatar is probably written in a day and the rest of the months and months of pre production figuring out how to do different effects. He's less a writer and director now and more an FX guy with a massive budget. Tragic really.
    Cameron has lost the plot now. Content to just let his career peter out with endless Avatar sequels absolutely no one is clamouring for.

T1 and T2 pushed the limit technically but still had an involving story at their core. As he's been given more money to play with over time he has cared less about the story and more about covering new ground technically to the point where the script for Avatar is probably written in a day and the rest of the months and months of pre production figuring out how to do different effects. He's less a writer and director now and more an FX guy with a massive budget. Tragic really.

I'd still rather watch Avatar sequels than the next offerings from Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich though....

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

True Lies was Cameron's last film that was actually marketed as a film as opposed to "an event" like Titanic and Avatar were. A highly entertaining film with a lap-falling Jamie Lee Curtis.

I'd still rather watch Avatar sequels than the next offerings from Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich though....

Why not just watch none of them?

Why not just watch none of them?

Cameron's films are always worth seeing. And it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with for the Avatar sequels.

Even Titanic (which I detested) was worth seeing for the technically incredible ship sinking scenes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Cameron's movies till T2 belonged in theatres.
    Cameron's True Lies belongs in a lazy Friday night television programming.
    Cameron's movies from Titanic onwards belong in a theme park.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited August 2016 Posts: 7,854
    True Lies was entertaining, something I can't say for Titanic or Avatar (especially Avatar).

On the subject of Avatars, The Last Airbender was a movie I shouldn't have seen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I thought True Lies was a great film with superb action scenes and Schwarznegger at his best. Titanic was half a good film. Avatar was barely a film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Michael Bay's latest film, 13 Hours, blows out of the water Cameron's Titanic and Avatar.
    True Lies was entertaining, something I can't say for Titanic or Avatar (especially Avatar).

On the subject of Avatars, The Last Airbender was a movie I shouldn't have seen.

Did you not read the reviews beforehand regarding The Last Airbender?

I wouldn't have gone to see that on a freebie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Michael Bay's latest film, 13 Hours, blows out of the water Cameron's Titanic and Avatar.
    Agreed. I loved that movie.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Cameron's movies till T2 belonged in theatres.
    Cameron's True Lies belongs in a lazy Friday night television programming.
    Cameron's movies from Titanic onwards belong in a theme park.

Pretty much bang on the money.

No doubt the Avatar sequels will be in VR which technically might well be impressive but if cinema was only about technical achievement SP would be a masterpiece for the opening tracking shot. But it's actually all about the script which is why SP is very far from being a masterpiece and doubtless why Avatar 2 won't be either.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I thought True Lies was a great film with superb action scenes and Schwarznegger at his best. Titanic was half a good film. Avatar was barely a film.
    I agree. True Lies needs to be released on blu ray asap (I doubt it ever will be though). I realize it hits too close to home with the Islamic terror angle and all, but it's just too good of a film to be wasted on dvd output (it's still being pseudo cribbed from today, with the likes of the upcoming Keeping Up With The Joneses and Mr & Mrs Smith etc.)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @OHMSS69, thankfully I didn't pay for it, but 'The Witch' was one awful movie.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I love True Lies.

The battery running out as the terrorists film their "be afraid" video should be played more often.

It should certainly be re-released on Blu Ray as the existing dvd made some really poor cuts (particularly during the toilet gunfight).
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I love True Lies.

The battery running out as the terrorists film their "be afraid" video should be played more often.

It should certainly be re-released on Blu Ray as the existing dvd made some really poor cuts (particularly during the toilet gunfight).

I saw the film in HD when it was on Film4 and it looked great. So no Bluray is a disappointment.

Features one of my favourite stunts of all time when Jamie Lee is pulled to safety by Arnie as the car runs off the bridge!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Harrier jumpjet sequence is brilliant too.

I love Art Malik (superb kill sequence at the end) and wish he could reappear in a Bond film soon. He was great in Homeland.
    bondjames wrote: »

I love Art Malik (superb kill sequence at the end) and wish he could reappear in a Bond film soon. He was great in Homeland.

No other action director comes close to Cameron at his best!

He is quite bad when it comes to hiding stunt doubles though.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Never really got all the True Lies love to be honest.

The first half bores me rigid and it's only from the moment Jamie does her strip that it takes off into being a very solid, if extremely derivative of Bond, action film. But nothing amazing and the finale, decent enough though it is, is mostly CGI so straight away loses any argument about being brilliant.

Cameron peaked with T2 and Aliens. The Abyss has some excellent stuff in it but is let down by the crappy alien denouement. The final hour of Titanic is very good but the first two hours of Mills & Boon love story drag on.

And given the guy makes less films than Terence Malick (just 3 since T2 in 1991) can he be regarded as an all time great? For his technical firsts perhaps but the likes of Hitchcock and Welles had a lot of technical tricks up their sleeve but they also has so much more in their locker.

The truck chase in Raiders still better than anything in Cameron's oeuvre. Spielberg at his peak no match for Jimbo.
    Any film that M Night Shamalan did after the Sixth Sense
    The Village
    Signs
    Lady of the Lake
    to name a few...

I agree that James Cameron is overrated and IMO LA Confidential should have won the Best Picture instead of Titanic

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043

To be honest I'd forgotten about Styles, I was thinking more Rylance, Hardy, Murphy and Kenneth Branagh.

I'm far from a 1D fan infact I despise them but Nolan must have seen something in his audition to cast him, I don't see him doing it just to add to the box office.

Nolan is more likely looking at a proper shout at the Oscar and of all the films he's done this is the one that is likely to get him the closest he has ever been to one.

I'm hoping this is a real epic, something like A Bridge Too Far, stunning battle scenes and cinematography littered with great performances from a great pedigree of some of Britain and Irelands best actors.

I'm hoping he spares us of another Michael Caine performance, don't get me wrong from Begins up to Inception fine but Rises and Interstellar no thank you.

Cameron's never made anything as thrilling as Raiders, every action sequence in that film is better than anything Cameron's ever done.

People call Nolan overrated but at least he's got a body of work, Cameron's barely done anything in the last 20 years apart champion technology and flog the dead horse that is Titanic.

I serioulsy hope he's for a rude awakening with his 4 Avatar sequels, it's hugely presumptious to think the world wants one let alone 4 more.

I'm think the Smurfahontas boat has sailed, why would you want a pretender to the throne when the real thing is now back, Star Wars has well and truly taken the wind out of the sails of his saga.