'I'll Never Get Those Two Hours Back!' - Films you regret buying a ticket for.

124»

Comments

Bad Moms
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Any film that M Night Shamalan did after the Sixth Sense
    The Village
    Signs
    Lady of the Lake
    to name a few...

No love for Unbreakable? It was his best movie.
  • The Matrix Revolutions
    Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Spider-man 3
    The Matrix Revolutions
    Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Spider-man 3

All the Matrix sequels sucked, the car chase was the redeeming thing in the second one but the third one: big time thumbs down.

I liked Kill Bill Vol. 2 it was witty and the funnier of the saga.

• Kill Bill Vol. 2 was a HUGE crushing disappointment for me after the brilliantly colorful, über-stylish, action-packed, blood-soaked, streamlined revenge extravaganza of Vol. 1, which culminated in one insane sword fight after another in the House of the Blue Leaves. I remember knowing going into Vol. 2 that it was going to be more spaghetti western themed than samurai/kung fu like the first volume, but still I was wondering just how Tarantino was going to top the brilliance of the first. And the answer was: he didn't at all (IMO of course). David Carradine's performance at the end was a delight, but one scene does not a good film make. The rest of Vol. 2 had me banging my head against the seat in front of me in bored-out-of-mind, what-on-earth-is-going-on-with-this-movie, how-the-hell-can-this-be-the-end-of-the-saga drudgery. I've even rewatched it since to see if maybe I just needed to approach the film with tempered expectations. Nope. Still an unbearable snoozefest to me. If Vol. 1 had cut right after the Bride's fight with O-Ren to her flying to Bill and getting that Superman speech and having their final showdown there (just another 15 minutes or so, writing Madsen out of the story, and I guess disposing of Hannah somewhere along the way), that would have been a perfect way to end it. As it is, I'm forced to look at Vol. 1 as just a great, weirdly unfinished standalone work of pulp art.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Natural Born Killers (1994)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh I really hate NBK. Terrible film.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Cowley wrote: »
    I was laughing at the end of Titanic I looked around the audience as I thought surely I should not be laughing.

Titanic was certainly the oddest cinema experience I'd ever been part of. As it drew to an end I scanned the audience and saw so many tearful people with tissues to their faces to dry the tears and then all waking out red eyed and emotionally drained.

I guess Titanic did its job but just took so long to get there!
    Likewise the girls we were with were in floods of tears at the end, surreal experience to a tonely insulting film toward its subject matter.

The first 30 minutes of The Matrix Reloaded had me dumb founded I loved the first movie, I could not believe how terrible the opening was. The action to follow redeemed the experience, Revolutions on the other hand was appalling I genuinely felt cheated by that film.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Double post.
  • Cowley wrote: »
    I was laughing at the end of Titanic I looked around the audience as I thought surely I should not be laughing.

Titanic was certainly the oddest cinema experience I'd ever been part of. As it drew to an end I scanned the audience and saw so many tearful people with tissues to their faces to dry the tears and then all waking out red eyed and emotionally drained.

Likewise the girls we were with were in floods of tears at the end, surreal experience to a tonely insulting film toward its subject matter.

The first 30 minutes of The Matrix Reloaded had me dumb founded I loved the first movie, I could not believe how terrible the opening was. The action to follow redeemed the experience, Revolutions on the other hand was appalling I genuinely felt cheated by that film.

Same here. Reloaded more than redeems itself with its quality action, but I have never felt so criminally cheated by a sequel as I have by Revolutions (Kill Bill Vol. 2 excepting).

Cowley wrote: »

Same here. Reloaded more than redeems itself with its quality action, but I have never felt so criminally cheated by a sequel as I have by Revolutions (Kill Bill Vol. 2 excepting).
    There was clearly only enough story for one sequel, it was the beginning of the two part finales to get double the money from audiences for a watered down product.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Many years ago now: Quill.
    I should have walked out. I hated it that much.

I like Titanic. :)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I really liked titanic as well when I was a (straight male) teenager.

As an adult though the romance just feels too sickly. i agree that the best part of the film is undoubtably when the ship starts sinking.

Also, Gloria Stuart who plays Old Rose is great.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Released around the same time as Titanic, I found The Wedding Singer more romantic :D
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    "I'm think the Smurfahontas boat has sailed, why would you want a pretender to the throne when the real thing is now back, Star Wars has well and truly taken the wind out of the sails of his saga."

So JJ Abrams remake of A New Hope is the 'real' thing is it, @Shardlake..?

ok...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    "I'm think the Smurfahontas boat has sailed, why would you want a pretender to the throne when the real thing is now back, Star Wars has well and truly taken the wind out of the sails of his saga."

ok...

It's the real thing in terms of people actually being desperate to see it.

Are there really billions of die hard Avatar fans out there who will camp out on the pavement for weeks so that they can get into the first midnight screening of Avatar 2 and 3 and 4?

Yes it made a shitload at the box office because it was marketed as an incredible visual spectacle you had to see (not that I did - the trailers were more than enough) but it's not even close to Star Wars however much Cameron might think it is. I really can't see how there will be anything but diminishing returns from here unless the guy can come up with a new trick to wow people each time because we all know most of the work will be put into CGI of blue aliens not a script. Just saying 'more impressive CGI in 3D' won't get people returning time and again.

Mind you the public are morons and each one will probably take a billion as their thirst for seeing tediously long sequences of stuff being blown up in CGI seems insatiable, but box office is no indicator of quality. Good luck to the studio and Cameron though if they can milk the public by pedalling this dreck.
  • Mind you the public are morons and each one will probably take a billion as their thirst for seeing tediously long sequences of stuff being blown up in CGI seems insatiable, but box office is no indicator of quality. Good luck to the studio and Cameron though if they can milk the public by pedalling this dreck.

Always a pleasure to read your particular brand of toxicity, @Wiz. That said: most of us wait until after a film is actually made before we start trashing it. Dull and pedestrian practice, I'm sure, but still...

ok...

Are there really billions of die hard Avatar fans out there who will camp out on the pavement for weeks so that they can get into the first midnight screening of Avatar 2 and 3 and 4?

Yes it made a shitload at the box office because it was marketed as an incredible visual spectacle you had to see (not that I did - the trailers were more than enough) but it's not even close to Star Wars however much Cameron might think it is. I really can't see how there will be anything but diminishing returns from here unless the guy can come up with a new trick to wow people each time because we all know most of the work will be put into CGI of blue aliens not a script. Just saying 'more impressive CGI in 3D' won't get people returning time and again.

Mind you the public are morons and each one will probably take a billion as their thirst for seeing tediously long sequences of stuff being blown up in CGI seems insatiable, but box office is no indicator of quality. Good luck to the studio and Cameron though if they can milk the public by pedalling this dreck.

Try actually watching Avatar, @TheWizardOfIce, you might be surprised how much soul and passion is in this 'dreck'
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

ok...

Try actually watching Avatar, @TheWizardOfIce, you might be surprised how much soul and passion is in this 'dreck'

Then again you might just think 'what a pile of poo!', a big disappointment and thank God I don't have to sit through the extended version.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117

most of us wait until after a film is actually made before we start trashing it.

Strange. I'd have thought you might be better off actually seeing it than merely waiting for it to be in the can? But if Avatars 2,3 & 4 turn out to be dramatic and intriguing character studies I will admit I was hasty in prejudging them.

If you look at the last 10 years of movies frequently hitting the billion dollar mark there are very few that would rank as all time greats and fewer still that don't have relentlessly tedious CGI sequences of stuff getting smashed up and fights between various aliens/creatures/superheroes.

There's only really TDK and our very own SF that could be accused of putting character and drama (not to mention some actual stunts done for real) to the fore ahead of just trying to be a son et lumiere show for people with attention deficit disorder.

What happened to films with characters, story, drama like Jaws cleaning up at the box office? These days unless you have a 30 minute scene where numerous skyscrapers are knocked down or the camera follows some flying creature/vehicle as it ludicrously defies the laws of physics to avoid every single obstacle in its path whilst travelling at Mach 3 your film is dead in the water.

But as I said. There's no sign of people getting tired of this so if I was the studio I would also be making CGI hay while the sun shines.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Not seen Avatar and have no reason to see it, the trailer was enough and Cameron hasn't excited me since The Abyss, he was much better when he had a limited budget and had to make do, the original Terminator still stands up as his best work for me.

That film has certainly aged better than any of it's sequel, the menace of that film and Brad Fiedel's much more basic score really power it along, brilliantly paced and well acted by all, Arnie has never been better.

When both JC & Fiedel hit the epic button despite T2 being a very entertainingbut flawed popcorn flick the film was sapped of all it's tension and like many blockbusters today relied on SFX too much plus the script to T1 is probably still JC's best.

His command of SFX might not be touched but as far as being a great director I'll take Nolan over him everytime.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Not seen Avatar and have no reason to see it, the trailer was enough and Cameron hasn't excited me since The Abyss, he was much better when he had a limited budget and had to make do, the original Terminator still stands up as his best work for me.

That film has certainly aged better than any of it's sequel, the menace of that film and Brad Fiedel's much more basic score really power it along, brilliantly paced and well acted by all, Arnie has never been better.

When both JC & Fiedel hit the epic button despite T2 being a very entertainingbut flawed popcorn flick the film was sapped of all it's tension and like many blockbusters today relied on SFX too much plus the script to T1 is probably still JC's best.

His command of SFX might not be touched but as far as being a great director I'll take Nolan over him everytime.

Agree with every word you say but given the lack of Nolan love in the 'Fassbender/Nolan for Bond' thread brace yourself.

But even if Nolan did disappear up his own arse with Interstellar, Cameron has never even come close to the narrative brilliance of Memento and The Prestige.
    T1, Aliens are faultless. Abyss is 90% brilliant film making but for the fatally flawed ending, regardless of which version you watch. T2 and True Lies have great 1st and 3rd acts but sag badly in the middle. After that he lost the plot, literally. Personally i'm all for a Nolan Bond film i think he'd do a great job. Fassbender not so sure about though
    edited August 2016 Posts: 3,985

ok...

Then again you might just think 'what a pile of poo!', a big disappointment and thank God I don't have to sit through the extended version.

Mabey so @Lancaster007 but we all have different opinions and he won't know until he's actually seen it, will he?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 3,985
    "Not seen Avatar and have no reason to see it, the trailer was enough"

Avatar is 2 hrs and 41 mins long. You're judging it on a 3 minute trailer.

But hey, each to their own @Shardlake....
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Agree with every word you say but given the lack of Nolan love in the 'Fassbender/Nolan for Bond' thread brace yourself.

But even if Nolan did disappear up his own arse with Interstellar, Cameron has never even come close to the narrative brilliance of Memento and The Prestige.

My favourite 2 Nolan films, I hope he can approach that level again but if he doesn't at least we have those films.

On the subject of Fassbender I think he's the only established actor that could do Bond justice, outside of that they need to look for relative unknowns.

I certainly wouldn't boycott a Fass/Nolan team up like some so vehmently do.

Hardy is just a ridiculous thought, he's tremendously talented but playing a suave refined Bond no chance, Craig pushed what Bond could be but Hardy is just even more of a thug and no I don't think he could do refined it's just not in his make up.