Steve Cole's New Young Bond Novels Series - Reviews and Discussion

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Title of new “Young Bond” novel revealed

“Heads you die” is the title of the second YOUNG BOND novel penned by Steve Cole.  It will be published in paperback by Red Fox in the UK on 5th May 2016.

heads-you-die-196x300.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SYNOPSIS
    James's Cuban holiday has become a nightmare mission to save an old friend from a villain who has perfected 1,000 ways to kill. With corrupt cops and hired assassins hot on his heels, James must travel through Havana and brave Caribbean waters to stop a countdown to mass murder. Fates will be decided with the flip of a coin. Heads or tails. Live or die.
    I'm still yet to read 'Shoot To Kill". Looking forward to it. "Heads You Die", hmmm. Yet another title with "die" or "kill" in it. Boring. At least the adult Bond books aren't currently suffering from this.

No the adult novels are just suffering from being terrible books altogether.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    No the adult novels are just suffering from being terrible books altogether.

Well, yeah. Having a cliched title is nothing compared to a bad story. I take it you mean the Benson and celebrity written books with the exception of Trigger Mortis.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote: »
    SYNOPSIS
    James's Cuban holiday has become a nightmare mission to save an old friend from a villain who has perfected 1,000 ways to kill. With corrupt cops and hired assassins hot on his heels, James must travel through Havana and brave Caribbean waters to stop a countdown to mass murder. Fates will be decided with the flip of a coin. Heads or tails. Live or die.

Wow, James Bond versus Two-Face?! I didn't know Cole had the green light from DC and Warner to do a Batman crossover with Bond!
    ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bounine wrote: »
    I'm still yet to read 'Shoot To Kill". Looking forward to it. "Heads You Die", hmmm. Yet another title with "die" or "kill" in it. Boring. At least the adult Bond books aren't currently suffering from this.

True but I can be a little more forgiving since this is the Young Bond series.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well... Trigger Mortis... Mortis = Death.
    I need to pick up heads you die. So glad tge 3rd book is only 4 to 5 months away.
    Cole's third book title will be revealed tomorrow.
    http://www.thebookbond.com/2016/05/next-young-bond-title-revealed-tomorrow.html
    'Heads You Die' arrived yesterday in the U.S. from Amazon U.K. Hard copy and found Steve Cole's signature on an inside page. Don't know if it's legit or not. Possibly others here will let me know if theirs has the same. I'd also go easy on judging books by just the name.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,622
    I am very pleased to say I got my new hardcover of Heads You Die in mail today.
    And boy am I happy. Ordered it from an Amazon re-seller, who had it airmailed from UK.
    Got it in less than two weeks, and as bonus, it's the limited edition with autograph.
    I didn't even know that's what I ordered. My first autographed Bond HC.
    I had simply ordered a new HC.
    The Cole Young Bonds do not seem to publish in Canada for some reason, even though the Higson books were all available in bookstores here.
    I jumped on this release quick, because I stupidly waited for a Canadian publishing of Shoot to Kill, which never happened, and when I realized I was suddenly two books behind, which is unthinkable for me, I got on Amazon and ordered a "good" used copy HC of STK, which shipped from UK and actually was in decent condition, and arrived real quick.
    And the book read real well. Cole pens a good Bond yarn. I quite enjoyed it. Bond is getting a little nastier in these new Cole books. Still its maddening that he won't kill anyone, even though he's up against killers and the baddest of the bad. Actually, he did sort of indirectly take out the villain on the airship at the end, so he's getting there, and he did engage some good girl-smooching in Shoot To Kill, so he may yet get to 2nd base, one of these books.
    I think he's almost 16 now. He's becoming aware of his destiny. He knows he's a danger man (teen). And the British Secret Service is keeping tabs on him, so the plot is thickening.
    I am very happy with the new HYD order. Got a reasonable price including the shipping.
    To any other Canadian or North American bound Bond lit fans, I'd get on the Amazon now and get this shipped. You might still luck into an autographed copy.
    I will be commencing the turning of pages tomorrow, when I am less bushed.
    Like to be fresh for a new Bond read. Savour every page.
    Okay, for those who read the book, I've been spoiled by IFP (grrrr) and I would know if this revalation happen early or tardily in the book ? :
    Jagua : daugther of Scolo
    You know Young James could have an unconfirmed kill. Takes two confirmed kills.
    I've only read By Royal Command once, but didn't Bond kill someone in that book?
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,622
    I've only read By Royal Command once, but didn't Bond kill someone in that book?
    I can't remember. The bad guys do die, but both authors seem to contrive that Bond not kill anyone directly. He is rather young. Even though he seems much more grown up in the Cole books and more self aware of his destiny, I don't believe he is even 16 yet, rather still 15, so they may be biding their time out of deference to his age.
    The bad guys seem to buy it, as a result of Bond's actions or get offed by others.
    Cole needs to advance him to age 16 quick. We need him grown up. A 16 year old male can be formidable. Top 16-year old hockey players do play against older teens and overage 20-21 year olds, in top junior leagues, so a formidable 16-year old Bond killing in self defence, when he had to, would not be an overreach.

We could save the assassin type activity until he is actually employed. Consistency with Fleming could be achieved via sanctioned confirmed kills in line of duty.

timmer wrote: »
    I can't remember. The bad guys do die, but both authors seem to contrive that Bond not kill anyone directly. He is rather young. Even though he seems much more grown up in the Cole books and more self aware of his destiny, I don't believe he is even 16 yet, rather still 15, so they may be biding their time out of deference to his age.
    The bad guys seem to buy it, as a result of Bond's actions or get offed by others.
    Cole needs to advance him to age 16 quick. We need him grown up. A 16 year old male can be formidable. Top 16-year old hockey players do play against older teens and overage 20-21 year olds, in top junior leagues, so a formidable 16-year old Bond killing in self defence, when he had to, would not be an overreach.

We could save the assassin type activity until he is actually employed. Consistency with Fleming could be achieved via sanctioned confirmed kills in line of duty.

That's what I was thinking. At this rate I'm surprised young Bond survived to make 21.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Heads You Die I think is the best Young Bond yet!
    I am almost half way through, and I hate having to put it down. Actually I don't. I don't mind reading Bond at a lesiurely pace. Better to savour, as it's always a bit of a wait till the next one.
    What I like about this story is that Bond is really starting to evolve as the danger man he is destined to be and it feels quite natural.

Bond lit fans! Order this book quick. Will make for great discussion.
    If you don't live in England, its easy to get online. I got it online. Only cost me $25.00 Cdn for hardcover, and that includes shipping via Amazon re-seller. Re-seller had book airmailed from UK.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Well, this train is very intriguing ! the cover is cool.
    James Bond #9 (comic book) that comes out later this year also has a train on the cover art.
    James Bond #9 (comic book) that comes out later this year also has a train on the cover art.

That was my first thought, too.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,729
    Nice to see the full cover art after the teaser poster just showing the title and the lightning strike.
    I've liked Cole's books fine, but I really wish they'd been able to get Higson back. I still think that Bloodfever was one of the best non-Fleming Bond books since Fleming.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perhaps Higson will return to the literary Bond at some point.
    Found this on Amazon :

https://amazon.co.uk/Young-Bond-Nemesis-Steve-Cole/dp/1782952438/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485621922&sr=8-1&keywords=red+nemesis

51XqeKPV9BL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"BEFORE THE MAN BECAME THE LEGEND.
    BEFORE THE BOY BECAME THE MAN.

James is back in Steve Cole's fourth and final blistering Young Bond adventure . . .

James is on home soil when he receives a package with a message from beyond the grave. The package’s mysterious contents put James at the heart of a long-running plot that, if it runs its course, will paint London’s streets red with blood. Not only will James have to fight to stay alive and save the country he loves, but to clear the Bond family name, which he holds so dear. The stakes couldn’t be higher, and James doesn’t know who he can trust . . . "

Out on Star Wars day (May the Fourth) 2017.
    Wow! Cole is really cranking them out.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Wow! Cole is really cranking them out.

PussyNoMore is afraid that 'cranking' is the operative word.
    PussyNoMore does not approve. He read the first part of 'Shoot To Kill' and had to put it down. Nothing against Cole. Doubtless he's a wonderful man and his mother loves him but a worthy successor to Charlie he is not..
    Higson did an absolutely masterful job with the 'Young Bond' legend and IFP should have left it at that. It is now tainted by work of a vastly inferior quality.