Steve Cole's New Young Bond Novels Series - Reviews and Discussion

Comments

• It may be somewhat telling that at the time of writing, Coles tomb is yet to get one single review on Amazon UK!
    Perhaps IFP have well and truly cooked the YB goose?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Goodreads has a review ...favorable one at that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    It may be somewhat telling that at the time of writing, Coles tomb is yet to get one single review on Amazon UK!

Ah yes, that must be it! At this point, I honestly don't think IFP could do a single thing with the Bond trademark that would impress/satisfy/appease you. Always quick to jump at their throats, before they even get a word in.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    A photo gallery of a recent Steve Cole YOUNG BOND event held in London to promote SHOOT TO KILL....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.866698476693836.1073741842.407779922585696&type=1
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,598
    Another review. Sounds pretty promising:

"Nov 10, 2014 Martyn Perry rated it 4 of 5 stars
    Shelves: my-book-collection
    So, a full six years after Charlie Higson last wrote a Young Bond novel, and the story finally gets to continue at the hands of Steve Cole.

Cole is an author I've never read before - and nor should I have to be honest, thanks to his previous specialty being pre-teen fiction. But considering his limited experience writing in this genre and for this Young-Adult age range, I was really surprised at how eloquently written parts of this book were. Sure it's simple with a nice fast pace and elementary Bond story, but there's plenty of nice phrasing, descriptions and dialogue in here to offer much more than just tributes to Fleming and Higson as you'd expect. LA gets a lavish description, from the burning neon of the lights to the smoky, dimly lit backstreets. It's nice to read about Bond being somewhere different to the usual European locales that monopolise his adventures.

The book does have the Fleming references however, the Hoagy Carmichael inclusion was a good touch and the general style was very Fleming-esque at times (Dammit Bond thought, etc. etc.)

If you're a fan of Bond, there's much to enjoy here, and if you liked the previous Higson entries, this is definitely on a par with those books. Whilst it's not the best Young Bond book on offer, it certainly is a great return for the character and nice to continue his adventures towards adulthood.

Fast paced, engaging and simple. A great quick read."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22363629-shoot-to-kill
    You can read the first chapter here:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/ng-interactive/2014/nov/12/first-chapter-shoot-to-kill-steve-coles-new-young-bond-thriller

Most enjoyable! Looking good. My only two very minor gripes are when Bond says "how's this for showing off?" and when "he gave a cheery wave". In terms of the former, I think he should have just said this to himself and not out loud. As for the other, I think it would have been cooler if he'd merely smiled at his pursuers but they may have been too far away to notice.

As I'm currently living in Shanghai, I don't know whether I should order a hard copy of this book. Then again, it might be ages before the paperback version comes out. I was informed of one English book shop in this town. I'll have to check out the price of this book including postage at Amazon UK.
    Saw the french translation today at the store (the Montparnasse station FNAC) where I bought the extended edition of "The Desolation of Smaug". Didn't see the original version at the Paris WH Smith, though. Funny, that.
    Shoot To Kill doesn't seem to be available in Canada yet. Amazon only has French paperback version listed for sale as of Jan7, 2015.
    I'm sure the English version will be up at some point though.
    I think I'll wait until May when the paperback is released.

An interview with Mr. Cole:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2014/nov/12/steve-cole-young-james-bond-interview
    Good read @bounine. I am looking forward to reading this book!
    I'm looking forward to reading it. I will wait until May though. Cox's review was the first proper one I have read.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Here is a review of Shoot to Kill by Edward Biddulph of the James Bond Memes blog:

http://jamesbondmemes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/young-bond-in-shoot-to-kill-review.html
  • Villiers53 wrote: »
    It may be somewhat telling that at the time of writing, Coles tomb is yet to get one single review on Amazon UK!

Ah yes, that must be it! At this point, I honestly don't think IFP could do a single thing with the Bond trademark that would impress/satisfy/appease you. Always quick to jump at their throats, before they even get a word in.

Not true my friend. Much praise has been heaped on IFP by Villiers53 and others for Higson's 'Young Bond', 'The Money Diaries' and their wisdom in appointing taking the majority of the thinking literary fans advice by appointing Horowitz for the next adult Bond.
    And of course, they are always most welcome to respond.
    That said, you should continue to think what you like and make sure you keep that old tax avoider's throne warm!

• Villiers53 wrote: »

Not true my friend. Much praise has been heaped on IFP by Villiers53 and others for Higson's 'Young Bond', 'The Money Penny Diaries' and their wisdom in taking the majority of the thinking literary fans advice by appointing Horowitz for the next adult Bond.
    And of course, they are always most welcome to respond.
    That said, you should continue to think what you like and make sure you keep that old tax avoider's throne warm!

Can we all please agree to behave like adults and call an end to all this needless quarrelling as it does get tiresome and takes the substantive topic of this thread of mine nowhere.
  • Couldn't agree more @ Dragonpol. It was high time you put that old tax avoider's promoter in his place!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Couldn't agree more @ Dragonpol. It was high time you put that old tax avoider's promoter in his place!

Hmm, perhaps IFP should adapt your life to a series of young adult literature novels. You certainly seem to possess the immaturity of an obnoxious thirteen year old.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 40,512
    Please keep it on topic and cool it on the back and forth banter that will inevitably lead to the derailment of a perfectly good thread.

If you're not here to review or discuss the book, you needn't stick around and cause trouble.
  • Quite right @ Creasy47. You tell him!
    OK then. I received my copy in the USA from Amazon UK yesterday. Had to start reading it immediately. Went thru 1st 40 pages quickly and liked it so far. Never read Steve Cole before and was excited about that too.

The narrative has development of Bond turning from a child into a young man, by dropping numerous hints of his previous encounters. And I think that will continue on subsequent pages. I'm pleased so far and would encourage anyone waiting to buy it to do so.
    Any thoughts as to why no US publisher or release date?

I'm anxious to read too ..or listen on audio. I'm kinda late coming to the Young Bond books.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,834
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Any thoughts as to why no US publisher or release date?

I'm anxious to read too ..or listen on audio. I'm kinda late coming to the Young Bond books.

You should probably order it from Amazon UK if you can as @FLeiter did above. I bought my copy from Waterstones after they eventually put it out on display. There was £2 off the cover price too. ;)
    mcdonbb wrote: »

You'll get it quicker that way. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Villiers53 - look in the mirror.

Re this book: It sounds professionally done, well written, and with care about the original series (which I have not read yet). I will order it. And I will also get some of the Higson books, too.

If anyone could give me their suggestions, maybe the best 3 or 4 from the Young Bong series, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    You know you're not wrong. IFP may have truly cooked the YB goose. I honestly don't know as its too early to tell, without sales figures, however it's a reasonable concern.
    If the target market was indeed adolescents, teenagers etc, well, they've grown up. The original run of YB was 2005-2008. There's been a 6 year gap. It seems to me, you might have to pitch your target demo all over again.
    The keen fans might stick around but many may have moved on.
    I think, with even the broader Bond literary community, YB is still an aquired taste. Not all of the adult-Bond book readers embraced YB, nor MP Diaries for that matter.
    YB v2 may catch on, but it could bomb too.
    I'll read it when I get around to it. I am not going to order it from UK, and pay all that extra cash.
    A new adult Bond, I will pick up first week though.
    Just sayin, IFP may find they have cooked the YB goose. I honestly don't know. I do think its a bit of a gamble.
    Also complicating matters, is that I get the impression, there is a group of readers, me included, that would like to see these books fail, if only so they would stop making them, and thus move Bond into his older years, that much faster.

@foreverbonded. I recommend Hurricane Gold as my favourite YB, although I think of the 5 volumes, they are all fairly equal. HG is the 4th entry. Its way wild. 007 Bond in his prime, would have had trouble with the bad guys in this book, never mind 14-year old Bond.
    Might though, be just as easy to start with the first one, Silverfin, and work forward.
    We meet Bonds school friends, and there is a bit of continuity build, from book to book as the series moves forward.
    This way you can enjoy the youngster's world-saving adventures and innocent flirtations, in chronological order. :)

• KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    I'll admit that I didn't really care for Shoot to Kill, read it a week ago. The YoungBond novels should be, except for good youth literature, a development of the James Bond character towards his adult years. That was one of Higsons strenghts for me, while this is more of a decent straight-forward entertainment. The story didn't feel necessary in the bigger spectrum, Bonds Eton and Fettes years, just a middle stop towards the interesting stuff. But I did actually enjoy Coles version of the Bond character, I think that's one aspect of the book he really nailed.

Now I didn't warm to Higsons Bond until the second book, so I'm really looking forward to experience Cole more times and hoping he gets comfortable. It's the only chance for us nowadays to get a continuing arch in the litterature, so it'll be nice.

Just hoping for more character development and a more interesting plot, and I'll be perfectly satisfied :)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,598
    Villiers53 - look in the mirror.

Re this book: It sounds professionally done, well written, and with care about the original series (which I have not read yet). I will order it. And I will also get some of the Higson books, too.

If anyone could give me their suggestions, maybe the best 3 or 4 from the Young Bong series, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Since only 5 were written and you're interested in the best 3 or 4, then you may as well read them all in order.

I enjoyed all of them but my two favourites are 'Silverfin' (a good origin story) and 'By Royal Command', which I have read twice. 'Hurricane Gold' is an entertaining read but my least favourite of the 5 as it has too much action in it. 'Blood Fever' is my second favourite. 'Double or Die' if I recall, was popular with the fans and I enjoyed it, but I don't rate it as high as others do.

We'll be finding out the name of the new Bond film soon. Let's hope it's not called 'Double or Die', the worst of the Young Bond titles. :) A pity this book wasn't called 'The Deadlock Cypher'. That's what you get though when you get kids to vote for the title.

OK..I finished 'Shoot to Kill' last night and in all honesty, what started off pretty good, turned south and went over the cliff. My first Steve Cole read and I don't think he nailed it. The Higson books are much more engaging. Cole uses the phrase "he hissed" a lot. I thought I was reading 'Rikki Tikki Tavi' again. He goes off into the weeds with the Hollywood scenes and I found myself going back and re-reading pages to see whether I had lost Bond somewhere. The main plot is OK, but Cole seems more intent on sub-plots which I did not care about.

Kinda disappointed, but realizing its older eyes and knowledge reading it and not the intended teenage audience. Younger readers may be enlightened. It just makes the wait for 'Spectre' to seem further away.