Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    So many gross girly men on this page lol. I have no suggestions for Bond right now,

That s the Brosnan legacy.
    Brosnan's more of a man than anyone suggested on this thread.

Brosnan IS the man!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Will there be a sequel to The November Man, or is that DOA?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames Just this morning I was checking for news on 'November Man 2' and 'Expendables 4', but no updates on either films in months.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 10,588
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think it is, unfortunately. I'm not sure Pierce would want to do it after his Irish DreamTime producing partner Beau St. Clair passed away earlier this year.
    I never thought Brosnan had a virile, manly voice. Not exactly a metrosexual voice, but not the baritone voice Bond should have IMO. Which I only discovered when I watched Bond movies in the original English. French dubbing gave him a more masculine name as far as I remember. It is completely the other way around with Roger Moore: his French dubbed voice was not as manly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think it is, unfortunately. I'm not sure Pierce would want to do it after his Irish DreamTime producing partner Beau St. Clair passed away earlier this year.
    That's what I figure it's happened. However, Brosnan will appear in a future Expendables movie. He agreed with Avi Lerner to appear in one.
    RC7 wrote: »

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Hiddleston is light years ahead of Huston.

Compelling counter. Now I'm convinced; Team Tiddles all the way!

$32 million worldwide box office - Signs point to...no.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    So many gross girly men on this page lol. I have no suggestions for Bond right now,

That s the Brosnan legacy.
    Brosnan's more of a man than anyone suggested on this thread.

Agreed. I'm not his biggest fan, but I've seen him live three years ago and he looks like a real badass.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    dinovelvet wrote: »

The original 'Transporter' with Jason Statham made $43 million world wide. They made 3 sequels.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Coldfinger wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet against "Mr." Swift. He's a big name now (for the right and the wrong reasons), but I still think he has an edge.

He doesn't do it for me. He looks more like the kind of nerdy guy that Bond could slap around. Maybe he would be better suited as Q's assistant or something. Huston I can see though.

You're absolutely right, he exudes no alpha male vibes whatsoever. Bond is a character who can walk into any room and be in total control of it. Piddles looks like he'd walk in and start apologizing for causing a fuss.

I ask everyone to seriously think about this - Piddles' most notable cinematic moment is where he's picked up by the Hulk and hurled around like a ragdoll; his most notable offscreen moment is wearing an I heart TS t-shirt. Are these not incredibly wrong associations for James Bond? Bond is, whether anyone likes it or not, a 24/7 gig, the actor is seen as James Bond wherever he goes and whatever he does. This kind of thing is a terrible emasculation of the brand.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I was interested to read in that article that Babs produced a play with Jack Huston, so she has seen him work a set and knows what he's all about. I'm sure she mentally filed that away for future reference, and now here we are with Ben-Hur about to open. God, if its between these two, then I'm team Huston, to put it mildly.

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Hiddleston is light years ahead of Huston.

Correct RC7. Both The Night Manager & High Rise are examples of this. Not some Marvel crap that he did for the fee and to break into Hollywood.

The original 'Transporter' with Jason Statham made $43 million world wide. They made 3 sequels.

And comparing Transporter and November Man the latter did better when comparing budgets to BO.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    MrKidd wrote: »
    I really like Charlie Hunnam after seeing him in Pacific Rim. He fits well with the Bond universe.

Funnily enough, with his background it wouldn't be too hard to imagine beeing Bond. I think he looks the part to, and is English. Seeing the trailer to King Arthur I'd say yes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    MrKidd wrote: »
    I really like Charlie Hunnam after seeing him in Pacific Rim. He fits well with the Bond universe.

Funnily enough, with his background it wouldn't be too hard to imagine beeing Bond. I think he looks the part to, and is English. Seeing the trailer to King Arthur I'd say yes.

It's funny how different people view thinks; I think he's one of the dullest actors working today. I see no charisma.
    Are we talking about Ed Skrein?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,400
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Coldfinger wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet against "Mr." Swift. He's a big name now (for the right and the wrong reasons), but I still think he has an edge.

He doesn't do it for me. He looks more like the kind of nerdy guy that Bond could slap around. Maybe he would be better suited as Q's assistant or something. Huston I can see though.

You're absolutely right, he exudes no alpha male vibes whatsoever. Bond is a character who can walk into any room and be in total control of it. Piddles looks like he'd walk in and start apologizing for causing a fuss.

I ask everyone to seriously think about this - Piddles' most notable cinematic moment is where he's picked up by the Hulk and hurled around like a ragdoll; his most notable offscreen moment is wearing an I heart TS t-shirt. Are these not incredibly wrong associations for James Bond? Bond is, whether anyone likes it or not, a 24/7 gig, the actor is seen as James Bond wherever he goes and whatever he does. This kind of thing is a terrible emasculation of the brand.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I was interested to read in that article that Babs produced a play with Jack Huston, so she has seen him work a set and knows what he's all about. I'm sure she mentally filed that away for future reference, and now here we are with Ben-Hur about to open. God, if its between these two, then I'm team Huston, to put it mildly.

Correct RC7. Both The Night Manager & High Rise are examples of this. Not some Marvel crap that he did for the fee and to break into Hollywood.

Hiddleston is at an interesting point in his career. He has a huge amount of clout on UK TV screens, thanks to The Night Manager, and he's a hugely respected theatre actor over here.

He's broken into Hollywood with his role in the Marvel films. However, he's far from a 'movie star', instead he often appears in small-budgeted independent fair (See High-Rise, I Saw the Light and Only Lovers Left Alive). Despite this he has legions of dedicated fans.

The most public thing he's done is date Taylor Swift.

If he got the Bond gig, he'd certainly be the most accomplished actor of the bunch. Jack Huston in comparison is only at the beginning of his career. (Also does anyone else find Huston's lack of jaw confusing - it's all jowl)

I wasn't overly keen on Hiddles getting the part at first. The Night Manager didn't impress me. The show was pedestrianly executed and overly cliched. It felt very much like a cheap BBC Sunday evening knockoff of a Bond film with shoddy production values. Hiddleston just didn't cut it for me. He was too lanky and pointy-looking. The show seemed desperate to sell his charisma and 'sexiness' put it felt pointed and forced.

However, High-Rise won me over. His elegance and charm felt natural. He also had a cool detched aloofness that suggested something a little darker and mercurial.

Personally, I think if Craig is out. Tommy H has it in the bag.

Check out this video to get a taste of his Bond:

The way he says 'gentleman' at 0.49 suggests the return of the English gentleman spy, but with a hint of menace. Though he needs to bulk up if he wants the gig.

Capture6-e1406049197721.jpg

He would be a move away from the alpha-male and thuggish energy of Craig. However, tastes are changing in Hollywood and gritty isn't cutting it anymore. People want their light entertainment to be as frothy as possible. No one would be more endearing and accessible internationally than the twee and exceedingly British Hiddleston. Folks love his schtick.

I'm not wholly convinced yet. Does anyone know any others films to check him out in?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    You might have a look at the imitation game .
    I'd rather we have an alpha male gentleman as Bond. Not thuggish. Rugged alpha male but who's also a gentleman. That'd be the Bond of my preference.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Thanks for that vote @ClarkeDevlin :D
    Have it your way, @Thunderpussy. :))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I'd rather we have an alpha male gentleman as Bond. Not thuggish. Rugged alpha male but who's also a gentleman. That'd be the Bond of my preference.

I agree with this 100%

Mrcoggins wrote: »

? Hiddleston wasn't in it.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

? Hiddleston wasn't in it.

Yes sorry about that I got my actors mixed up (happens at my age ! ) .
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Hiddleston does show promise. I recently saw him in the Kong trailer and he looks good, once again a tad scrawny and slight. But convincing nonetheless.

medium_92b74c5e0852b23176a6fb983b8ca0e6.jpeg

I do believe that Hiddles is Barbara's top choice. I feel part of the reason he has risen to the top of pack is how different he is from Craig.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is a name I'm surprised no one is talking about.

chiwetel-ejiofor-435.jpg
    chiwetel-ejiofor
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ejiofor would make a good M. Doesn't really hit me as Scottish or Swiss, but a great actor.

Hiddleston looks buff enough to me plus a fine actor.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Ejiofor will most likely be a poster boy for the media once Elba becomes too old for Bond (almost there). He's a good actor, but I just can't see him as Bond.

I think they'll either go with Hiddles, or someone entirely new who's off the radar.

Hunnam (mentioned earlier) doesn't have the chops. When I saw his name mentioned here a few months back I purchased a few of his films and took a look. He's not a bad actor, but he's missing that something extra that a solid Bond actor must have imho. A special presence.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Say what you will about Hiddles and Taylor (I think it's a publicity stunt), but Hiddleston looks like Bond from what I can see in the Kong trailer.
    Agreed. Ejiofor will most likely be a poster boy for the media once Elba becomes too old for Bond (almost there). He's a good actor, but I just can't see him as Bond, because Bond is a white character.
    Ejiofor is a very good actor (Children of Men, 12 Years A Slave, Inside Man, American Gangster), but Idris Elba blows him out of the water in terms of charisma.
    I'll agree with that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    A little off topic, but Ejiofor would have made a much better C than Andrew Scott.