No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2016 Posts: 7,980
    I'm not for or against a Disney/Bond union; but I don't think it would be the disaster many feel. Disney has really broadened in all areas. I think they want the greatest quality out of anything they put out. In Bond they would be getting a known commodity. On a positive note, involvement with Disney might be the kick in the pants EON needs to produce fresher films with more frequency.
    A little question for discussions sake, regarding Bond and Disney: Spin off talk not included; could some directors/cinematographers/writers be easier to get with Disney behind the wheels, and are there some that would be more difficult to get with Disney as a distributor?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Its such a sadness.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited July 2016 Posts: 3,277
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "She is currently in London shooting Film Stars Don’t Die with JAMIE BELL, and a source said: “Barbara is not going to be rushed into a Bond and wants to work on two other film projects next year."

That seems to be that for 2018 then. Is that it for Dan as well? He'll be over 50 by then and wont have played Bond for almost as long as Dalton hadnt when he quit.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Double post.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Wait, is this confirmation for a 2018 release?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @marketoo007, that Twitter account is an affiliate of the British magazine, I take it? I'm curious why they've posted their speculation on Bond 25 now as opposed to sooner, and why they seem to be in Dan's corner, when most of the world has turned their backs.

Does Empire magazine usually get good Bond scoops?
    Thanks guys.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I believe they have a strong association with EON. If I had to guess, this is EON's way of confirming a 2018 release through a third party, much like the BBC denying claims that Craig had turned down the offer to return based on "Bond sources."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @jake24, after all this maddening and aimless speculation lately, I don't know what to think anymore. A confirmation about Dan's involvement in Bond 25 would go a long way towards relaxing my nerves, however, as I've been waiting forever to hear it. I just want all these pompous and irritating casting rumors to end, for the sake of all our sanities. The sooner, the better.
    Sas wrote: »
    Cairead wrote: »
    Sas wrote: »
    Cairead wrote: »
    Sas said:
    Or maybe it is because he was offered the James Bond role 2 months ago
    B-) Like very strong rumours say, which some people choose to ignore.

And many of those rumours can be traced back to "sources close to Tom Hiddleston". His people have been briefing left, right & centre for months that he's the next Bond - or, at the very least, that the role is his if he wants it. It's a bit strange: if Hiddleston has been cast, why doesn't he just sit back, relax, and wait for the announcement instead of jumping the gun?

Is he trying to bounce EON into something?

First post. Apologies if I made an arse of it.

"Sources close to Tom Hiddleston" are the fan fiction writers of gossip magazines/websites. They just want the clicks. I mean the rumours from industry sources at Reddit and AJB, and Graham Rye. Combined they make a pretty strong case that Tom Hiddleston might indeed be the next Bond.

So, you'll believe rumours that Hiddleston is going to be Bond as long as they're not attributed to sources close to Tom Hiddleston. You know that doesn't make sense, right?

I know it's hard to accept that someone as shy and publicity-averse as TH would be playing the PR game in this way, but it does appear to be happening.

I blame that Taylor Swift woman.

I have not seen any reliable news outlet report information from the "sources close to Tom Hiddleston". Imo it is a bit rich to believe these completely unreliable gossip websites and then blame Tom's girlfriend for their stories.

Based on the industry sources on the social media, I do think that Tom Hiddleston might be the next Bond, but I am (of course) not 100% sure.

I don't blame Taylor Swift - that was a joke. Hiddleston is entirely responsible for his own bizarre behaviour :) As for Bond, I know a lot of people here think he's been cast and I have no reason to doubt that - you people know more about it than I would. We'll have to agree to disagree about the "sources close to the actor" bit.

And Reddit is not a "reliable news outlet"....
    I think Craig will be back. Skyfall & Spectre which took from 2009-2015 took a lot out of them IMO. They just need a break.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I admit I would like Craig to end on an higher note than SP. But if his heart isn't into it or if he pushes another personal angle then no.

I miss the game changing edge he had in CR and QoS and somewhat in SF.
    To be fair Disney have Indiana Jones and they seem to be taking their time with that rather than churning out films and spin offs like Marvel and Star Wars.

I think if they had Bond it'd be the same, they'd pace it, a film every two years at most. They don't need to turn it into Marvel because they already have Marvel and a Bond spinoff doesn't have the box office potential of a Star Wars spinoff anyway. People watch Bond to see Bond, clue's in the name, and I think they're smart enough to realise that. Having said that the idea of a well done Bond spinoff has always sort of interested me. I read on here that the Jinx script was actually meant to be quite good and there was speculation that some of it may have been incorporated into CR.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    2018 ... yes that's in two years from now. I can understand a total 3 yr gap, but not longer.
    I'm still not entirely sure about whether Empire's tweet is factual or pure speculation on their part.
    The thing about Disney is that they're a bloody efficient operation, for both better and worse. It means that their long-term planning is second to none; look at the Marvel and Star Wars calendars and you'll see that everything is planned out years in advance, including the production team. That means the series has a clear and consistent direction, there's no Spectre-esque retcons, and the future of the brand is never in doubt. On the other hand, EON never seems to have any clue what to do with the franchise after each installment, leading us to the shambles that we're seeing right now.

But it also means that Bond would likely be sucked dry for every dollar they can get their hands on. Spin off films and TV series could become a very real possibility. Depending on your perspective, that could either be great or dilute the brand entirely.

I don't really know if Disney would be right for Bond, but I doubt it'll happen anyway.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure about whether Empire's tweet is factual or pure speculation on their part.

@jake24, it's definitely interesting how confident their post reads.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 10,588
    jake24 wrote: »

@jake24, it's definitely interesting how confident their post reads.
    Indeed. It would be the most concrete news we've yet to receive, and it would be nice to have some solid facts in place in times of such uncertainty.

Screw it, I'm updating the thread unless I'm told otherwise.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    If this is true, it's nice to know that a firm date is in place, whether or not Barbara can convince Craig of returning.
    It's Empire Cinemas, which is a chain of cinema screens, not the magazine.
  • It's Empire Cinemas, which is a chain of cinema screens, not the magazine.

Good point. Really doesn't make sense that a cinema chain would be in the know this far out. Despite their confidence, sounds like baseless speculation to me.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I admit I would like Craig to end on an higher note than SP. But if his heart isn't into it or if he pushes another personal angle then no.

I miss the game changing edge he had in CR and QoS and somewhat in SF.

Is that what it was in QOS? Hard to tell. I know I missed a DP who knew how to use the focus on the camera and could steady the picture occasionally. QOS had more shaky cam than Earthquake (1975).
    But agreed on CR. If Craig can come back with something on par with CR, that would be wonderful. (As you can tell, I see QOS as the polar opposite.)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Wow, this topic really is techy when it comes to names for the roles. Absolutely won't be Hiddleston, he's A list, like her father before her Barbs likes to find a gem who is on the cusp of success and make them a star, you get your actor for a lower fee and it's easier to make that actor Bond rather than shrug off prior characters the actor is associated too. For the same reason Henry Cavill will not be Bond. I don't feel I am speaking out of turn, this is a matter of history repeating from how the Cubby then Barbara have cast their Bonds before.

Mendes nailed it when he said this http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/sam-mendes-james-bond-not-idris-elba-tom-hiddleston-tom-hardy

“It’s not a democracy,” Mendes said according to The Telegraph. “It’s not The X Factor, it’s not the EU referendum, it’s not a public vote. Barbara Broccoli chooses who’s going to be the next Bond: end of story. I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. That’s what she’s been brilliant at, and that’s how it’ll survive.”

Barbara has now said she doesn't want to think about making another Bond film without Daniel at present, and that production will take time out to get the right story and director. Now that could mean, she wants to take more time over picking her next Bond, or she is prepared to wait for Daniel.

The speculation over the next Bond is a good thing for the EON and for Bond as it keeps everyone talking about Bond even when there is not a film out, so you will never see barbs, Mike of their Kids dismiss any actor from the role, as I am sure they are quite happy about people speaking about Bond and keeping it at the forefront of the worlds media in the years between pictures.

Everyone but Daniel has come out and said he is done. I think that says a lot. If Dan was truly done, I think he is the type to just come out and say it "was wonderfully, I love the EON family, and good luck to the next guy" but he hasn't.

You then go back to the comments he made about how "he doesn't want to think about it right now", "I love doing these films, but after your finished one it is like Bond overdose, I want to take some time to spend with my family, I am doing some theatre, I love doing theatre"

Everything points to Daniel being allowed time to go and do the other stuff he wants to do, and that EON are prepared to wait as he is the only man guaranteed the job. If the script is good, the budget is good and the Director is right then I believe Dan will be back. If not I am sure Barbs will have her desired next in mind by that point. But regardless it will be around 15 months before we know.
    I'm inclined to agree. I just keep thinking back to 2004-5 and the slew of ridiculous rumors, and all the times Clive Owen (lol) was "in negotiations" and "about to sign on" etc.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,087
    If my calculations are correct that means that James Bond and Han Solo will be fighting it out. There can only be one winner.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    If my calculations are correct that means that James Bond and Han Solo will be fighting it out. There can only be one winner.

Bond like Star Wars have their franchise pull of fans, I don't think it will matter if both films came out at the same time, for fans of both they will pay to see both. Most people these days seem to pay monthly for an unlimited cinema pass, a lot of die hard's go and see these films 3 or 4 times. Both will be hyped up to max with anticipation and both will do well.
    If calculations are correct that means that James Bond and Han Solo will be fighting it out. There can only be one winner.

Bond like Star Wars have their franchise pull of fans, I don't think it will matter if both films came out at the same time, for fans of both they will pay to see both. Most people these days seem to pay monthly for an unlimited cinema pass, a lot of die hard's go and see these films 3 or 4 times. Both will be hyped up to max with anticipation and both will do well.

That's good news, I'd hate to have to pick one. I have a morbib curiosity to see how young Han turns out. Hopefully better than young indie.