"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

How the hell did Portugal end up winning the Euro's I will never know?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Brilliant video. What a sporting little chap. Could teach some adult fans a thing or two.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal

This makes me so proud!! This is what football and sports should be all about. Thanks for the congrats. All the best from Lisbon!
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    How the hell did Portugal end up winning the Euro's I will never know?
    Tremendous will, extreme concentration, lessons studied and of course a .. great.. bit of luck! But we won, so we deserve! all the best
    I am not a great fan of Ronaldo, will be last to deny his tremendous skill and training discipline, but I felt sorry for him hurting his knee. And I admire his passion as a player and member of the team. Portugal winning was a surprising moment but to be honest I quite enjoyed that they did win.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought Ronaldo showed great team spirit. Constantly encouraging the players =D>
    Big Sam as next England manager seems to be gathering pace, Mirror stating Sam is willing to follow F.A. blue print. There is so much wrong with this its unreal, F.A. will never learn and England won't progress if this appointment goes through as a England fan it's depressing.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The England football team will never amount to anything if they keep following this "FA Blueprint". That needs ripping to shreds and there is a need to start afresh with the next England manager doing what the hell he wants with the team. They will struggle to have any success ass things stand at the moment.

As for Big Sam, I read that he would, obviously, be interested in the post but would want a younger manager as his assistant to mentor him. Personally, I think that is a great idea and the idea of continuity sounds promising, rather than replace all who held any position on the coaching staff before.

If it's Sam, then so be it. I'm more a Northern Ireland supporter myself, being born there, however, I do have an English side to my family so really want to see the England team do very well. Is Sam the answer to the coaching problems? Maybe, maybe not but, from what I've seen of him as a manager/head coach, he does get the best out of players.

The players - well, they have to take their fair share of the blame. They seemed to play with no heart, no passion and no desire to go out and win a game. Big Sam would not allow that to happen I don't think so, again, could be a good move by the FA.

However, big changes need to be made all over the place before they begin to have any sort of success.

This is all my own humble opinion of course.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Whatever blueprint there is should be torn up, as it Clearly ain't working !
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm quite happy with Big Sam.

England are currently a relegation bound team with no game plan, no tactics, no heart, too much Hart, no bottle, no clue.

Who do you call to save you from relegation? Big Sam the first name on everyone's list. He gets poor teams organised, tactically astute and gets them to overachieve. With him at the helm a top half of the table finish (QFs) seems guaranteed and that's the best we can hope for these days.

The FA blueprint is beyond a joke given the FA cretins are the ones who thought keeping hapless Roy on after a cataclysmic World Cup was a good decision. Why are these people not being sacked?

Nothing ever changes. The FA have always held England back and that doesn't look like changing. I just hope Big Sam is not so desperate for the job he is promising he will toe their bullshit corporate line rather than be his own man.
    Their is no plan with the FA as they know FA!!! :))
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36850753

At least we won't we mugged off by teams like Iceland any more.

I see the FA really took the time and trouble to delve into the core reasons why we are shit year after year. Still I'm sure they'll do it next time.

Anyway 4-4-f**king-2, get it up to the big man and Lee Cattermole stopping any of those sneaky foreigners with their 'one touch passing' and 'technique'.

Let's be honest things can't be worse than they were under Roy so optimistic that we'll be a solid QF team once again.

'Ave it!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yep I'll concur in the appointment of Big Sam as the newly crowned England manager.
    Hopefully he'll steer the ship in the right direction, and we can rebuild a team that can play football with heart and passion.
    Instead of the woeful bunch I've seen playing (and I use that term loosely) recently.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,575
    Give 'Arry the job. Everyone loves 'im.
    Stev Bruce has resigned. No takeover, stuck with idiotic Allams, injuries aplenty, no signings - back down the football league we go.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This just in:

A teenager kicked a football through his folks cellar window. Glass everywhere.
    Hyped for the new season?

I think we should maybe do our own league for Fantasy Premier League
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    36D87F5000000578-3722599-image-m-26_1470266100083.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3722599/Jeremy-Menez-endures-debut-hell-Bordeaux-ear-ripped-against-Lorient.html

That's going to sting Menez lost part of his ear during a game playing for Bordeaux.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Good game today was quite a competitive Community Shield, early signs are good and Baily this kid is class just needs to control aggression. Pogba close to signing, I love what Rooney has done over the years though his position is seriously under threat.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    That's what you get when you have a manager who refuses to train tactically. Furthermore,
    Well, being a Liverpool supporter I'm ever hopeful of what the new season will bring. With a summer to get the players he wants and have the pre-season he wants, I'm hoping the Klopp can make Liverpool more of a force again. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm hopeful there may be a piece of silverware somewhere this season. Fingers crossed as always.
    Well, being a Liverpool supporter I'm ever hopeful of what the new season will bring. With a summer to get the players he wants and have the pre-season he wants, I'm hoping the Klopp can make Liverpool more of a force again. I'm not expecting miracles but I'm hopeful there may be a piece of silverware somewhere this season. Fingers crossed as always.

How are you feeling about left back?
    vzok wrote: »

I used to play left back for my local team, I'd fancy myself there still rather than Moreno. Could be a problem position this season if no one is brought in.

I used to play left back for my local team, I'd fancy myself there still rather than Moreno. Could be a problem position this season if no one is brought in.

Hes the biggest weak link in the team now, and the trouble is all the other teams are aware of it.

The keeper getting injured could mean our season is still born as we now have to go into that shocking run of early fixtures (Arse, Spurs, Leics, Chelsea and the scum all in the first 8 matches) with Minger still throwing them in. Need to be getting about 8 points from those 5 if we are to be in amongst it for the top 4, but in all honesty I can see us getting about 3.

Hes the biggest weak link in the team now, and the trouble is all the other teams are aware of it.

The keeper getting injured could mean our season is still born as we now have to go into that shocking run of early fixtures (Arse, Spurs, Leics, Chelsea and the scum all in the first 8 matches) with Minger still throwing them in. Need to be getting about 8 points from those 5 if we are to be in amongst it for the top 4, but in all honesty I can see us getting about 3.

I'd be happy with 8 points. It's a tough start, especially with the first 3 being away due to the new stand not being finished. I'm ever hopeful as always at this time of the year.

Yeah, Mignolet is a liability too, shame that Karius is injured, despite the fact he nearly gave one away in the friendly I went to a Wigan. He looks like a decent stopper. And yes, everyone knows about the dodgy left back spot. A shame really as we've had time to get someone in of quality.

Guess we will see where we are on Sunday....
    Also when Sturridge gets injured where does that leave us? Ings and Origi simply arent going to get you into the top 4.
    True, but u think we'll see a lot of Origi. Seems to be the sort of player that Klopp likes, as does Ings. Plus, having Mane, Firmino and Coutinho, there should be goals aplentry. Maybe I'm clutching bit I'm fairly confident Liverpool will do fine, providing they sort left back out.
    Also when Sturridge gets injured where does that leave us? Ings and Origi simply arent going to get you into the top 4.

Sturridge is already injured. Mane and Firmino will be liked up front by Klopp too.

There is a fair bit of chat that Milner is his first choice for LB. Of course he is now injured.

If he can offload Benteke and Mario, he might take the plunge for a LB.
    13872803_10154137611604279_69598631782770929_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=a6db123de2a57161d4972533c6fae80c&oe=585E53AD

So far so good!