"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

vzok wrote: »
    Congratulations to Republic of Ireland they fought hard for this win, well deserved victory well done to the home nations. <:-P

Turn the light off on your way out Zlatters old son.

Well he is going to Man Utd if that is any help.

Won't help his CL record, that's for sure :)
    jobo wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Congratulations to Republic of Ireland they fought hard for this win, well deserved victory well done to the home nations. <:-P

Turn the light off on your way out Zlatters old son.

Well he is going to Man Utd if that is any help.

Won't help his CL record, that's for sure :)

He's always got next year.
  • RC7RC7
    He's decent at scoring against shit teams and we were crap at that last season. Masterstroke. Rashford against the top four, Ibra against the relegation candidates.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    England are awful X_X

Edited: England 1 - 2 Iceland at half time it's embarrassing, England are so predictable and pedestrian. Reality check England are not very good, even if we some how win this France will tear us apart.
    Why am i not surprised!
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    England doing things the hard way is as inevitable as death and taxes. [-(
    One of the worst England performances I have ever seen, clueless insipid heartless uninspired the manager and players should be ashamed.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I remeber experts touting England as some sort of favourite for this tournament?
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University

Anyway got to head off to Nice now to watch English supremacy continue its inexorable march across the continent. Well at least Iceland (probably).

Have fun on here chaps. Try to keep it friendly.

Oooops!
    I remeber experts touting England as some sort of favourite for this tournament?

Coming into tournament I was not sure how good England were, now it's painfully clear.

Woy has wesigned also his backroom staff, now the F.A. need to follow suit. =D>
    Now we know what English football looks like without the foreign talent, really poor.

That said, the Dutch could have told you that the boys from Iceland are a very tough bunch to play.

Finaly a Brexit I do enjoy.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Now we know what English football looks like without the foreign talent, really poor.

That said, the Dutch could have told you that the boys from Iceland are a very tough bunch to play.

Is it not just Exit?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RC7 wrote: »

Is it not just Exit?

As Wales is in the quarter finals, it's not a complete Brexit, but a 2/3 exit.
    RC7 wrote: »

Is it not just Exit?

True, Wales are still in they are the one British team I enjoyed most.

Reminds me of the Faroe Islands beating Austria in the EURO 92 qualifiers.
    Harts post match interview, he does not care that's the problem with England.
    I honestly thought that the match was over with the penalty scored by Rooney and expected the England squad starting a bloody massacre,
    The came that equalizer which was a bloody great goal and that second one that was well done but poorly defended by Hart.

The whole game you were waiting for England to wake up and just go bananas with putting some serious scoring ability on the pitch and it never came.

Iceland did play like a team something that the English team cannot be accused of. Iceland worked and what the heck England was up to will be anybody his guess.

I think that they severely underestimated Iceland and did not do their homework as the first goal was a duplicate of the Iceland goal against Austria.

Iceland had nothing to lose and England did rightly so on the basis of their game today.
    Well, being great at football is not easy when you are a small, cold and secluded island in the Atlantic. But in fairness that is a problem for Iceland as well...

But don't worry England! We'll start our own non European tournament with you, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. There you are guaranteed a spot in the semi finals! :D

Want any more of these? ;)
  • If the England team were in a horse race I'd have thought they'd been doped, I've never seen such a lack luster performance from a side of so called professionals, I've seen more passion & pace from my grand kids in a game on the beach. X_X
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,512
    x17ya9v.jpg

Do love Danny Dyer.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Is it due to big bucks in the Premier League?
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Congratulations to England for another fine display!

roy-hodgson-ponders.jpg

:-j
    TripAces wrote: »

Very much so though the apathy seems a lot worse now.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Then might the answer to be to pick up the players in the Championship League, those who are hungry to prove themselves?

Then might the answer to be to pick up the players in the Championship League, those who are hungry to prove themselves?
    It will never happen though I guarantee they will be more motivated, this is the lowest I have felt with the national team and that's saying something.
  • GBFGBF
    It is just amazing how lazy England played yesterday. Even though I am really happy for the fans from Iceland I am a bit sad for not having a great match between England and France.
  • RC7RC7
    GBF wrote: »
    It is just amazing how lazy England played yesterday. Even though I am really happy for the fans from Iceland I am a bit sad for not having a great match between England and France.

I wouldn't use the word lazy. Shambolic, appalling, woeful... But lazy implies they could've played better, whereas sadly I'm not sure the could. Whether it was physical, mental, or a bit of both, nearly everybody looked dead. It was almost as if the equaliser killed what energy they did have.

Kane looked like he'd been playing non-stop since the start of the tournament, lack-lustre delivery, misplaced passes, piss-poor shooting and, most telling of all was the haunted look on his face. I mean he's gormless at the best of times, but he looked like he just wanted to get off the pitch last night.

Then there was Rooney, who has been decent to be fair to him, but he looked liked he'd gone too. Anyone who plays football will know that feeling when your legs go, you struggle to make the simplest passes. Bizarrely this seemed to to kick in early in the second half for Wazza. I could see his knees going every time he was pressured.

Why did Barclay not come on for Rooney when he was clearly flagging? Why did Rashford not come on when it was clear Rose was struggling to run the channel alone?

As per, it was a case of managerial ineptitude and psychological meltdown. The FA need to think carefully post Hodgson. This is the youngest team at the tournament and there is genuine talent in there. There's always been genuine talent, we're just experts at bottling it.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 389
    The FA need to appoint a top coach who can take control of the team tactically, but alas one of the richest associations in the world will employ another sycophantic clueless dullard on the cheap.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    The FA appears to be a bit corrupt. Every couple of years they hire some fairly useless new manager - be he British or foreign - to 'manage' our national team. He is paid millions per year, there is NEVER any mention of his pay being linked to performance, he rakes in a vast amount, England get knocked out in the first or second round, the manager still keeps his money, he may or may not get the sack and the cycle continues two years later at the next tournament!

It's insane. Time to introduce performance related pay for future England managers. And the execs/board members at the FA should have their own wages cut but I can't imagine that's possible in our wonderful :P 'free market' economy. In our society failure - consistent failure - is rewarded. The FA/the Premier League pay out vast salaries to failed managers. It does have the stench of corruption. And heck, there's FIFA - which is corrupt!

Introduce performance related pay for managers and top players playing for England. At least that makes it a bit fairer.