The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    People with different opinions that are on the loosing side, keep being slammed.

And you kept slamming the Brexit side for a good 40 pages of this discussion, before the vote took place. You and the Remain side did a perfect job at dividing the UK and Europe as a whole. Now you are unhappy with the result? You have only yourself to blame. All this shit-storm of negativity did nothing good. And you dare want solutions? Why didn't the Pro EU side offer any kind of solution of proof of EU benefits, instead focusing 100% on being negative on the Brexit arguments? The solutions should have come months ago.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too have nothing but love for @Gustav_Graves he is well capable of holding his
    Own in any argument, and fighting his corner. Sadly Boris and the leave camp
    Didn't win on " Renegotiation" they won on "Leave".
    Once more politicians are shown to be corrupt, lying, twisting arseholes.
    In many ways we were all fools for believing that, they'd be honest with us.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425
    I think there are legitimate reasons to call for a second referendum as the UK electorate were systematically lied to by the Leave campaign.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think there are legitimate reasons to call for a second referendum as the UK electorate were systematically lied to by the Leave campaign.

In fairness I think that they were lied to by both sides so the one camp rather cancels out the other. There will be no second referendum. The peoples of the UK have already spoken and matters will move forward on that basis and that basis alone. There should be no back-rowing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A second referendum? The toys are really coming out of the pram now. If the results had gone the other way, there wouldn't be any chance of another referendum. I for one will vote LEAVE again.
    The crazy thing is that now, on news programmes. We are getting the
    Sensible debate, with viewers questions getting reasoned answers. True
    Figures are being shown etc.
    Maybe if the Remain had dropped project fear and made these sensible
    Reasoned arguments, we'd all have been better informed.
    Although I do agree "lies" were coming from all sides, but a vote is a vote.
    I hate the idea of a second one. Why would a second vote be any more
    Legitimate than the first ? Or why not have a third, until you get the result
    You're happy with.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    People with different opinions that are on the loosing side, keep being slammed.

And you kept slamming the Brexit side for a good 40 pages of this discussion, before the vote took place. You and the Remain side did a perfect job at dividing the UK and Europe as a whole. Now you are unhappy with the result? You have only yourself to blame. All this shit-storm of negativity did nothing good. And you dare want solutions? Why didn't the Pro EU side offer any kind of solution of proof of EU benefits, instead focusing 100% on being negative on the Brexit arguments? The solutions should have come months ago.

Ooowh ff-ing yes I did! And I had my reasons for it. And I still have! But you forget to mention that I swallowed my loss some 5/6 pages back shortly after the referendum result. It is what it is. I still think it's a foolish thing. But we need to move on. WE NEED TO MOVE ON. The real fact however is, that no one in here seems to move on! You included!

The Brexit vote is over, now fff-ing let's execute that Brexit! And that's not happening, because David Cameron and Boris Johnson want to......WAIT until October. So I am NOT allowed to say that? I am not allowed to be agitated about the lack of real leadership after Brexit in the UK??? I am not allowed to say that I now support a swift Brexit for the sake of more financial and economic certainty and stability??

I am NOT allowed to say that a working group needs to be created within three weeks from now that A) actually deals with reserve budgets to counteract any losses during upcoming exit negotiations (Like Norway and Switzerland, there needs to be paid for new trade treaties), to counteract pension fund depreciations, and to subsidize any future raise in tariffs for British small- and medium sized companies who heavily trade with the EU and B ) that wants to take the current cultural vacuum in Northern-Ireland and Scotland serious, by immediately organizing a summit about the future of the UK???

, you're calling the kettle black! X(

Mod edit: profanity removed.
    Given the magnitude of the decision, and the long term damage this is now clearly going to do to the country, it would be absurd not to have the option to reconsider.

The referendum was advisory, not binding on parliament. If parliamentary sovereignty is so important to the Brexit campaigners, then they should respect it.

There is no precedent in British history for parliament's views being by-passed in this way. What's happening basically represents the trashing of our unwritten constitution. The majority of MPs (whose job it is to have an informed opinion on these issues) believed we should stay. Brexit won a small majority in an advisory referendum during which the quality of debate was abysmal.

A couple considering a divorce would be encouraged to have counselling and also be given opportunities to work things out and (unlikely) to take a step back from the edge. That is reasonable and appropriate.

The EU also has a history of making countries have a second referendum, when
    The vote doesn't go the way they like. It sounds a very democratic organisation. :D
    Also there's nothing more democratic that making someone vote, with a gun to their
    Head. :))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @Gustav Graves Calm Down and mind your mouth please younger members read this as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Getafix what would the Remain camp say if it had won by a similarly very small margin? Would you accept a 2nd referendum if the Brexit side would contest the results? You have to be brutally honest here - the Remain side would claim a 'formidable victory and a perfect example of democracy' and disregard the Outers. So, no 2nd vote.

And if we want facts in this discussion: The Remain campaign was factually piss-poor and woeful. Did it deserve to lose for being such a catastrophic? No, of course not. But in no way does it deserve a 2nd chance after this joke of a campaign. You should have thought about the eventually of losing before doing an atrocious campaign. You wanted solutions? The Pro EU side should have given them months ago.
    As for Referendums, I say best way to sort it out is
    " Best of Three !" :D
    That should keep everyone happy.
    @Getafix what would the Remain camp say if it had won by a similarly very small margin? Would you accept a 2nd referendum if the Brexit side would contest the results? You have to be brutally honest here - the Remain side would claim a 'formidable victory and a perfect example of democracy' and disregard the Outers. So, no 2nd vote.

And if we want facts in this discussion: The Remain campaign was factually piss-poor and woeful. Did it deserve to lose for being such a catastrophic? No, of course not. But in no way does it deserve a 2nd chance after this joke of a campaign. You should have thought about the eventually of losing before doing an atrocious campaign. You wanted solutions? The Pro EU side should have given them months ago.

I never wanted a referendum. There was no public clamour for a referendum either. Outside of the Tory Party, the EU was actually a very low priority on most peoples list concerns.

Although people on here write as if the EU was seen as a massive problem, actually most British people didn't see it that way before the campaign. Even now, all the referendum showed was that about 39% of the electorate were in favour of leave.

The referendum was only ever about managing internal Tory Party tensions.

Boris Johnson didn't expect or want Brexit to win - he was just positioning himself to win the party leadership. Gove is probably the only 'senior' politician in the country who actually wanted this to happen. And Gove's driven by a belief in 'creative destruction' - he thinks you have to constantly disrupt in order to move forward.

Agree though that the Remain campaign was pretty dire.

Mrcoggins wrote: »
    @Gustav Graves Calm Down and mind your mouth please younger members read this as well.

I need to calm down. And we all need to calm down. Let's positively focus on how our future's should look like, instead of continuously blaming our campaigns when the vote is already over.

I hope for a prosperous, positive, happy UK. And I similarly hope the same for the remaining 27 EU-members.

• GBFGBF
    edited June 2016 Posts: 3,195
    SaintMark wrote: »
    GBF wrote: »
    The Brexit will come. The British people voted and now we have a clear result. I was extremely against the Brexit and think it is not good for both, the EU and Britain but it would be much worse if the democratic result would not be acknowledged. At least the EU should not put any pressure on Britain and let them decide what they are going to do next. Britains voted for leaving the EU so it is up to the British government to declare their ambition respectively. The uncertainty right now is painfull for both, the EU and Britain but the EU should not intervene.

What a rubbish argument, the BREXIT involves the EU immediately so they should have a say as it is not some one sided proces. Promises made by UK politicians like the same acces to the common market and no more EU involvement in UK matters are ridiculous claims that will not happen. The EU rightly states that the UK does not get a free lunch and will have to work and pay for their further involvement with the European mainland. While Norway & Switzerland are not part of the EU their membership in a common market is paid for with money and sticking to European laws.

The really stupid part is that the UK will want to remain part of the common market but wants to have no say at all and no vote. Which at the end of the day is the popular vote in the UK.

The UK wants a lot from the EU but why should the EU want what the UK wants?- They have now learned what the common man feels about the EU through the glasses of nationalism and it ain't a pretty sight. In this globalist world we'd netter work together or the likes of the USA with their TTIP treaty wants to lay down US laws in our part of the world. And nobody really wants to accept pizza as a vegetable.

Where did I write that the EU should just follow the Britain's will? I just said that it is now up to the Britains to make up their mind what they really want. It would not be a good meassure to directly intervene in this process since it would even increase anti-EU tendencies in Britain but also in other countries. As long as the UK has not officially announced their will to leave the EU, the EU cannot do anything. After that there should be tough but fair negotiations. But the ball is now in the British court and I see no feasible way for the UK to not follow the referendum. That is all I meant to say.
    I'm beautifully calm at the moment. Serene infact, just reading through my
    N.Korean world history book, fasinating stuff.
    Did you know Kim Jung-um set up the EU, just before winning the nobel
    Peace prize. You see Knowledge is power ! ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm beautifully calm at the moment. Serene infact, just reading through my
    N.Korean world history book, fasinating stuff.
    Did you know Kim Jung-um set up the EU, just before winning the nobel
    Peace prize. You see Knowledge is power ! ;)

That was just before he drove the devil into Georgia... eh.. i mean the USA to contain him, right?
    It is amazing what the glorious leader has done.

I want back in    I miss having  croissants  at breakfast, I can spread chocolate 
    on them. With no feelings of guilt, saying it's the french way. Same with kissing. 
    I'll miss the French kissing, My post man probably won't, but I like to make him
    feel special. No going up a high tower with a riffle  for him !
       French Toast, that will be taken off us too.  Oh this is terrible, and how will I 
    survive without my daily portion of German sausage ! ...... it's all Terrible.
    I won't have any double entendres either, just dirty meanings

• I'm over in America from the great state of Louisiana. How much did the influx of third world Muslim migrants affect the outcome of the vote?
    Peoples religion is not an issue, and only British citizens could vote. ;)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,600
    "She is six to one at the moment as next PM, tremendous value IMHO, invest!"

I posted that on the 16th June and she is now the clear favourite at 2.3!! Boris slipping away quickly
    I can't see May getting it, although an obvious "out" she decided to stay "In" for
    her career. So not true to her principles other than gaining power. I think she
    could have as many enemies as Boris.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,973
    Peoples religion is not an issue, and only British citizens could vote. ;)

They could still block the entrances to the polling stations though..

But if you ask me the answer is mentioned by the Great Leader too in his book..
    Did they ? I've seen nothing on the news about it.
    Did they ? I've seen nothing on the news about it.

Well you can't always recognise them, they go undercover too.... They are sort of third world muslim James Bond kind of people...

patb wrote: »
    "She is six to one at the moment as next PM, tremendous value IMHO, invest!"

I posted that on the 16th June and she is now the clear favourite at 2.3!! Boris slipping away quickly

I very much hope May wins - a serious and hard working politician who will put the country's and not her own interests first.

Would be very happy for Boris to be given department for agriculture or something.
    A female PM ? It'll never happen ! :D
    Any politician is perfect for agriculture, with the bullsh*t they peddle
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Until Article 50 is invoked this won't go anywhere. Blair was on MSNBC this morning and suggested a delay for a while before starting the formal exit process.

I believe the process won't begin until everyone thinks through the implications of what has happened and prepares a way forward.

The US will play a part in this behind the scenes as well (as it always does) and there is uncertainty there too, until November at least.

Interesting times.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I really don't want Theresa May to be our next Prime Minister. She didn't openly come out and support Brexit so why should she benefit from the power vacuum caused by the LEAVE vote winning the EU referendum? Some people have very short memories indeed.
    Yes, I said something similar, she hadn't the nerve to stand for what she
    Believes ( she is an out supporter) but thought it better to be part of the
    In camp.
This discussion has been closed.