The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Awesome display. The lads did little old England proud.

The reason Iceland beat us is that they're outside the EU and therefore have an unfair advantage.

Once we're free from the EU, which has been holding us back in footballing terms for decades, we will be firing on all cylinders!

Roll on Euros 2020!
    A Brexit most European football fans hoped for and it will be savored.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited June 2016 Posts: 13,384
    :)) very funny @Getafix :))
    Getafix wrote: »
    Awesome display. The lads did little old England proud.

The reason Iceland beat us is that they're outside the EU and therefore have an unfair advantage.

Once we're free from the EU, which has been holding us back in footballing terms for decades, we will be firing on all cylinders!

Roll on Euros 2020!

Do you....eh....mean it :-P?
    Is the result binding?
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »

Perhaps that's why we left - the irrational bitterness towards us.
    RC7 wrote: »

Nothing irrational about it Iceland has got less than 100 professional football players, and too be honest they did play like a team, with each other and for each other. England did absolutely not look like a team.

And lets face it the Dutch got thrown out the EC qualifications by this same team, which had quite a few snickering. They know now, teamplay trumps soloist attempts.

Sadly the England team, is too rich and pampered. The appear not to be
    Hungry enough, who knows with all the hardships coming our way ;)
    We might play better after Brexit. :))
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Nothing irrational about it Iceland has got less than 100 professional football players, and too be honest they did play like a team, with each other and for each other. England did absolutely not look like a team.

And lets face it the Dutch got thrown out the EC qualifications by this same team, which had quite a few snickering. They know now, teamplay trumps soloist attempts.

Irrational 'bitterness'. No one would deny the result, ask any England fan. It's the assumption we wouldn't see it like that.
  • Just got back from the Pub, I really thought that nothing could be as insipid as our parliament, but then I saw England v Iceland, well done Iceland you played with passion & commitment, deserved to win. =D>

We all know the clip, Hitler's not happy about the Brexit. ;)
    He's never happy about anything. I'm sure he wouldn't have been happy about a Remain vote either.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,469
    I have a simple way of explaining the effects of the Brexit to my other American friends--it would be a lot like when David Lee Roth first left Van Halen. The EU will keep rockin', but none of the other members really want to have to do Dave's split-eagle leaps off the drum riser. And if the EU ever runs short of members, they could start including countries beyond Europe--like Panama.

Being an American, I support "independence", Britain's in this case, and respect the Leave concerns. I think all countries will still find a way to deal with each other on the really important issues--we're smart and adult enough that we don't have to be weighed down with some unnecessary rules in my opinion--we can still work together, especially when we really have to.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I have a simple way of explaining the effects of the Brexit to my other American friends--it would be a lot like when David Lee Roth first left Van Halen. The EU will keep rockin', but none of the other members really want to have to do Dave's split-eagle leaps off the drum riser. And if the EU ever runs short of members, they could start including countries beyond Europe--like Panama.

Being an American, I support "independence", Britain's in this case, and respect the Leave concerns. I think all countries will still find a way to deal with each other on the really important issues--we're smart and adult enough that we don't have to be weighed down with some unnecessary rules in my opinion--we can still work together, especially when we really have to.

I think that Brexit shows the UK has always been independent. People nowadays play with words like sovereignty, as if it's football. The USA was truly oppressed by Britain. And although people say that the EU is some sort of hybrid dictatorship, it's a straightforward lie.

The UK has always been independent, before and after Brexit. Those are the facts. And the UK should especially now show some humility towards the EU, especially of they want to get the same advantages as Switzerland and Norway.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The Brexit will never happen.
    The Media and the repressive forces in the EU parliament together will see to it that there will be another vote, naturally after scaring the wits out of voters and threatening endlessly.
    If the Brexit will get prevented the EU will fall apart quickly.
    The EU is destroying itself.
    The Media and the repressive forces in the EU parliament together will see to it that there will be another vote, naturally after scaring the wits out of voters and threatening endlessly.

Dammit, are the lovers not supposed to have any voice? You know, I accept the new 'now'. It's time to move forward. But if even after Brexit people like you can not show some humility and empathy towards those who have lost.....and especially towards the EU, then don't be surprised for more anger back and forth.

I swallow my loss. Now time for Leave-ers to reach out a hand. Otherwise the real exit between the UK and the EU will become a bitter fight. And there's already bitter cultural fight going on within the Kingdom. So tone down your voice.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,020

Dammit, are the lovers not supposed to have any voice? You know, I accept the new 'now'. It's time to move forward. But if even after Brexit people like you can not show some humility and empathy towards those who have lost.....and especially towards the EU, then don't be surprised for more anger back and forth.

I swallow my loss. Now time for Leave-ers to reach out a hand. Otherwise the real exit between the UK and the EU will become a bitter fight. And there's already bitter cultural fight going on within the Kingdom. So tone down your voice.

Maybe it would do you good to read up on some EU parliamentary members comments on how to handle the Brexit.

Furthermore the voice of the Remain people was heard on the vote. They lost.

But now they are trying to justify their reasoning why another vote should be made.
    Voting until the result fits their views. Sounds a bit like....
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119

Maybe it would do you good to read up on some EU parliamentary members comments on how to handle the Brexit.

Furthermore the voice of the Remain people was heard on the vote. They lost.

But now they are trying to justify their reasoning why another vote should be made.
    Voting until the result fits their views. Sounds a bit like....

Maybe you should utter a more friendly tone instead then. You know, I despise thee lack of leadership right now in the UK. But at least on one thing Boris Johnson is doing well: He is reaching out to those who didn't vote for Brexit, he is at least...more friendly now towards the remaining EU members.

And again, I fucking Know the Remain-ers lost. Grow up, and reach out. And stop your populist banter.
  • GBFGBF
    The Brexit will come. The British people voted and now we have a clear result. I was extremely against the Brexit and think it is not good for both, the EU and Britain but it would be much worse if the democratic result would not be acknowledged. At least the EU should not put any pressure on Britain and let them decide what they are going to do next. Britains voted for leaving the EU so it is up to the British government to declare their ambition respectively. The uncertainty right now is painfull for both, the EU and Britain but the EU should not intervene.
  • Heard this on the Michael Savage show today and just went and looked it up and it's true. Apparently this was the plan all along to dissolve the borders of the EU States. The part about Merkel being the leader came from Savage since she's been the ringleader behind all this and he said she would be partially accomplishing what Hitler wanted to do forming a superstate. Basically you could say it was the Battle of Britain all over again but the British won at the ballot box instead of using Spitfires against the Luftwaffe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

GBF wrote: »
    The Brexit will come. The British people voted and now we have a clear result. I was extremely against the Brexit and think it is not good for both, the EU and Britain but it would be much worse if the democratic result would not be acknowledged. At least the EU should not put any pressure on Britain and let them decide what they are going to do next. Britains voted for leaving the EU so it is up to the British government to declare their ambition respectively. The uncertainty right now is painfull for both, the EU and Britain but the EU should not intervene.

What a rubbish argument, the BREXIT involves the EU immediately so they should have a say as it is not some one sided proces. Promises made by UK politicians like the same acces to the common market and no more EU involvement in UK matters are ridiculous claims that will not happen. The EU rightly states that the UK does not get a free lunch and will have to work and pay for their further involvement with the European mainland. While Norway & Switzerland are not part of the EU their membership in a common market is paid for with money and sticking to European laws.

The really stupid part is that the UK will want to remain part of the common market but wants to have no say at all and no vote. Which at the end of the day is the popular vote in the UK.

The UK wants a lot from the EU but why should the EU want what the UK wants?- They have now learned what the common man feels about the EU through the glasses of nationalism and it ain't a pretty sight. In this globalist world we'd netter work together or the likes of the USA with their TTIP treaty wants to lay down US laws in our part of the world. And nobody really wants to accept pizza as a vegetable.

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Maybe you should utter a more friendly tone instead then. You know, I despise thee lack of leadership right now in the UK. But at least on one thing Boris Johnson is doing well: He is reaching out to those who didn't vote for Brexit, he is at least...more friendly now towards the remaining EU members.

And again, I fucking now the Remain-ers lost. Grow up, and reach out. And stop your populist banter.

Are you kidding? Like you're tone is so friendly. Probably the most unfriendly of all the contributors to this thread.

Heard this on the Michael Savage show today and just went and looked it up and it's true. Apparently this was the plan all along to dissolve the borders of the EU States. The part about Merkel being the leader came from Savage since she's been the ringleader behind all this and he said she would be partially accomplishing what Hitler wanted to do forming a superstate. Basically you could say it was the Battle of Britain all over again but the British won at the ballot box instead of using Spitfires against the Luftwaffe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

And this is part of our current-day society too. We keep trashing good journalism based on facts. And as a replacement we turn to cheap tabloids and self-made conspiracy blogs. That's a danger to democracy too, and is only helping demagogues and populists.

Not to mention the cheap, finger-pointing comparisons you made and the vulgar, populist wordings you use. If you really want to draw comparisons with Nazi-Germany and Hitler, then use it in the context of today's populism, not people like Angela Merkel (By the way, a person who herself got oppressed by the German DDR).
    You constantly bring up Nazi comparisons, about people who supported the
    Leave campaign. So sauce for the goose, I'd say. ;)
    Jeffrey wrote: »

And again, I fucking now the Remain-ers lost. Grow up, and reach out. And stop your populist banter.

Are you kidding? Like you're tone is so friendly. Probably the most unfriendly of all the contributors to this thread.

What do you expect Jeffrey. Again, I accept defeat. It is what it is. But I also see the sheer realism of things and a want a good and quick exit of the UK from the EU. Call me unfriendly or negative, but I don't want more uncertainty. I want good prospects for both the UK and the EU. But then we really must have respect about the differences in opinions that exist now between the UK and the EU.

Or do you think it helps slamming the EU continuously even after Brexit?? It doesn't do the UK good. Similarly, I think the EU politicians need to tone down their negativity as well, which they are already doing.

Call me an unfriendly jack-ass, but at least I want a solutions for the remaining EU-members and I hope the UK eventually comes out stronger as well. That's good for both our causes.
    A solution for the EU members is their problem, Britain isn't part of it
    Any more. :))
    You constantly bring up Nazi comparisons, about people who supported the
    Leave campaign. So sauce for the goose, I'd say. ;)

Yeah, and I get slammed for it, because I am a Remain-er. But if a Brexit-er is using it or a (shitty) tabloid like Express then it's okay. It's what's happening right now: People with different opinions that are on the loosing side, keep being slammed. At least Boris Johnson is reaching out a hand.
    So you now Trust Boris ? :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited June 2016 Posts: 308
    Just to be clear, I have nothing against you Gustav. I also did not call you an unfriendly jack-ass. Thing is you ask someone to use a more friendly tone while you constantly use words like 'fuck', 'WTF', 'dammit', etc.. That comes about quite aggressive if you ask me.

I'm actually happy with how the Dutch government wants to handle things regarding Brexit. Not doing thinks too quickly, but rather in a responsible tempo. That's best for the UK and for The Netherlands and for the economy in general I believe.

So you now Trust Boris ? :D

No. But at least this clown is smart enough he now needs to tone down any further populist ranting for the greater good of unity within the Kingdom. And it's necessary, because some fierce negotiations are on hand the upcoming 2 years.
This discussion has been closed.