The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    This is not a topic for this thread the poor woman was murdered by a nutter
    Out of respect for her and her husband and young family not to mention friends and loved ones
    Leave this and move on Thankyou .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    This is not a topic for this thread the poor woman was murdered by a nutter
    Out of respect for her and her husband and young family not to mention friends and loved ones
    Leave this and move on Thankyou .

Fair enough Mr C.

I was just about to wade in there but your voice of sound reason is the best course of action here.

@Gustav you need to wind it in a bit mate. First 9/11 and now this. You really aren't doing yourself or your 'cause' any favours at all.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,602
    I posted something last week saying that it was far more complex than the economy and there were deeper issues about cultural identity and what type of country we want to be. There was a very touching and insightful quote from an elderly lady in a Northern chip shop on the news: "We want to try to be England again".
    While trendy Londoners are setting up craft pubs, converting barges and sipping their skinny organic capacinos, there are vast areas of England that have been forgotten. This vote was an opportunity for these forgotten communities to say "Hey, we are still here and we want something better." Its not in our nature to have a revolution and we can only wonder what would have happened if this vote had not taken place. But you can clearly see parallels with the USA where Trump has struck a chord with a section of society that perceives it has been ignored by the political elite. This should be a wake up call but I fear that it could just be a very convenient way for Boris to replace DC and we get more of the same.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Congratulations to the UK in getting its Independence!

Glad people still have a voice in today's world.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, more of the same sadly :( interesting interview with Peter Hitchens
    Saying how in the referendum the voters ignored their political party's instructions
    and voted to hurt the establishment. Pointing out how both parties are now basically
    Dead of ideas and it's time for some new alliances, perhaps along the lines of the two
    Referendum groups ?
  • patb wrote: »
    I posted something last week saying that it was far more complex than the economy and there were deeper issues about cultural identity and what type of country we want to be. There was a very touching and insightful quote from an elderly lady in a Northern chip shop on the news: "We want to try to be England again".
    While trendy Londoners are setting up craft pubs, converting barges and sipping their skinny organic capacinos, there are vast areas of England that have been forgotten. This vote was an opportunity for these forgotten communities to say "Hey, we are still here and we want something better." Its not in our nature to have a revolution and we can only wonder what would have happened if this vote had not taken place. But you can clearly see parallels with the USA where Trump has struck a chord with a section of society that perceives it has been ignored by the political elite. This should be a wake up call but I fear that it could just be a very convenient way for Boris to replace DC and we get more of the same.

I agree with all you say but about Boris, this is a guy who went to Eton & Oxford on a scolarship, not through a privileged family like DC & one thing you must concede about Boris is his positivity, he enthuses people like no other political figure does, remember the Olympics in 2012.

Lets not fool ourselves that Boris is anything but upper class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not happy.

One thing is for sure something this important should never have been put to the British public I know that without a doubt.

With Scotland likely to leave and Northern Ireland considering not going to much left of so called Great Britain.

Then again seeing the amount of insults about other parts of the country and Europe I'm reading I doubt some of you really give that much of a shit about it anyway.

Little old insular England and Wales of course.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Not happy.

One thing is for sure something this important should never have been put to the British public I know that without a doubt.

Who should decide then?
    Agreed, more of the same sadly :( interesting interview with Peter Hitchens
    Saying how in the referendum the voters ignored their political party's instructions
    and voted to hurt the establishment. Pointing out how both parties are now basically
    Dead of ideas and it's time for some new alliances, perhaps along the lines of the two
    Referendum groups ?

Yes , ideas inspire nations and communities and get things moving forward. For a long time now, Lab and Con have struggled to fill their manifestos with anything new. Remember DC's "big society" -just nothing but a strap line. We are a long way from Thatcher's ideas of selling council houses or privitesing many public services. Plus we are lacking "conviction politicians" (Thatcher was the last) and now we get policy created by focus groups. I was never a fan of Thatch but you cannot deny that had support across classes and communities and there was never any doubt about what she stood for.
  • Shardlake wrote: »
    Not happy.

With Scotland likely to leave and Northern Ireland considering not going to much left of so called Great Britain.

Then again seeing the amount of insults about other parts of the country and Europe I'm reading I doubt some of you really give that much of a shit about it anyway.

Little old insular England and Wales of course.

What your saying is that you don't support democracy or the will of the people?
    N.Ireland will be staying. You'd have to be crazy to want to join the Republic
    Of Ireland, and with no oil like Scotland, independence is not an option.
    As far as Scotland goes, during their own referendum. The EU told them
    After a break, they would have to reapply for membership ! This time having
    To take the euro as well.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,043
    kultschar wrote: »
    Not happy.

Who should decide then?

We elect a government to make these decisions, that is my opinion if you don't like it then I'm sorry but too many people didn't realise the implications of what they were voting in, some didn't even vote and said I didn't think it would affect me as I found out this morning at work.

Of course I'm sure many will be happy with the below, immigration isn't an issue for me but many people voted on it, well it looks like the problem will a lot closer to home now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36626553
    Perhaps it's time for the UK, to start making things a little awkward for France. :D
    The argument for the vote is that it involves sovereignty. Governments should not make decisions re this issue as effectively they are allocating power to themselves. When power is redistributed, it is up to the people to decide.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 389
    We elect a government to make these decisions, that is my opinion if you don't like it then I'm sorry but too many people didn't realise the implications of what they were voting in, some didn't even vote and said I didn't think it would affect me as I found out this morning at work.

I think most people knew exactly what the implications were, you sir are terribly condescending of your fellow citizens & seem to me to be like a lot of the so called intelligentsia who have been peppering our screens all day with their spurious opinions, acting like a bunch of spoilt brats throwing teddy out the cot because they didn't get their own way, pathetic sir just pathetic!.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 389
    Perhaps it's time for the UK, to start making things a little awkward for France. :D

What, knock them out of the Euro's at the QF stage. :D
    =))
    kultschar wrote: »
    Not happy.

Who should decide then?

Of course I'm sure many will be happy with the below, immigration isn't an issue for me but many people voted on it, well it looks like the problem will a lot closer to home now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36626553

Yes but the general public are not happy with the government decisions or lack of action that they promise. I think it's got to a point where a lot of people are just fed up with the government.

Cameron pledged he would reduce annual immigration to a "trickle of tens of thousands" It's still hundreds of thousands!! It's got worse since he said that!!!

As for the link and the calais Mayor throwing a tantrum, the French Foreign Minister has already debunked that. Another scare / project fear reporting by the press

http://www.dw.com/en/french-foreign-minister-slams-talk-of-moving-calais-jungle-to-uk/a-19356081

I was on the fence if I'm honest but respect democracy
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425

That's the attitude we want to see! Screw the frogs and all the rest of them.

Roll on the new Europe.

Christ this is so pathetic and depressing.

The level of debate during the referendum would have embarrassed a sixth form debating society.

People have voted to leave on the basis of false promises, flat out lies and largely just out of a desire to make a mid-term protest vote against Cameron.

The comments I've been hearing all day on the TV from the Brexit camp sum up how toxic and misguided this decision is. Farage claiming its a victory for 'decent' people. Sad people in Birmingham who apparently think this now frees us to trade with China - we could already and we have more trade with Belgium than India and China combined.

The British people have been lied to, misled and conned. The Brexit camp has also unleashed the forces of racism and nationalism in a desperate attempt to maximise their vote.

The fall out long term for the UK is going to be bad economically, socially and culturally,

Those gloating on here or who think it's a big joke or not really very important are going to be in for a lot of disappointment and a few shocks over the next few years.

Such a pointless waste.

My biggest worry is now what happens when all those angry about the economy, austerity, sovereignty and immigration realise that Brexit has not magically addressed all their concerns. Power remains concentrated in Westminster. The economy is likely to struggle and austerity get worse.

Where do the disenfranchised and angry turn then and who do they take their frustrations out on next?

Can't believe this mess is partly about the personal ambition of Boris Johnson when practically everyone who knows him says he's pro EU. Judging from the downbeat press conference he gave today I suspect he's a shocked and disappointed as everyone. He was hoping for a Remain vote and to use his posturing to win the Tory leadership
    in a year or two. Brexit wasn't supposed to happen.

Feels like a bad dream that you expect to wake up from but then don't.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 13,894

Brick up the Chunnel?

henry_5.jpg

;)
  • Getafix wrote: »

Roll on the new Europe.

The level of debate during the referendum would have embarrassed a sixth form debating society.

People have voted to leave on the basis of false promises, flat out lies and largely just out of a desire to make a mid-term protest vote against Cameron.

The comments I've been hearing all day on the TV from the Brexit camp sum up how toxic and misguided this decision is. Farage claiming its a victory for 'decent' people. Sad people in Birmingham who apparently think this now frees us to trade with China - we could already and we have more trade with Belgium than India and China combined.

The British people have been lied to, misled and conned. The Brexit camp has also unleashed the forces of racism and nationalism in a desperate attempt to maximise their vote.

The fall out long term for the UK is going to be bad economically, socially and culturally,

Those gloating on here or who think it's a big joke or not really very important are going to be in for a lot of disappointment and a few shocks over the next few years.

Such a pointless waste.

My biggest worry is now what happens when all those angry about the economy, austerity, sovereignty and immigration realise that Brexit has not magically addressed all their concerns. Power remains concentrated in Westminster. The economy is likely to struggle and austerity get worse.

Where do the disenfranchised and angry turn then and who do they take their frustrations out on next?

Can't believe this mess is partly about the personal ambition of Boris Johnson when practically everyone who knows him says he's pro EU. Judging from the downbeat press conference he gave today I suspect he's a shocked and disappointed as everyone. He was hoping for a Remain vote and to use his posturing to win the Tory leadership

You sir are terribly condescending & seem to me to be like a lot of the so called intelligentsia who have been peppering our screens all day with their spurious opinions, acting like a bunch of spoilt brats throwing teddy out the cot because they didn't get their own way, pathetic sir just pathetic!. Ah but I repeat myself........

Sir, if your so bl**dy concerned, believe England can not prevail or grow stronger, I would suggest this, stop your whining, pack up your bags, move to the continent you think is so much better.... go on, please, just go, you and all the other doom sayers, before our final exit is ratified, go on, you've got 2 years at least to do it.....
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited June 2016 Posts: 299
    What this movement really needs now is a proper handle, some catchy slogan or claim the Kippers can trademark for their great victory. How about "Britain Erwache!" Or would that be too foreign for you Bratzis?

More like Remainzis ;) they're the ones doing all the complaining.
    Getafix wrote: »

Roll on the new Europe.

Such a pointless waste.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Outside of it not effecting you and we'll just carry on ethic that many are saying here, I will admit my Wife and I haven't been happy with the results of the last 2 elections but if I'm honest apart from prices going up we've lived a pretty good life.

Granted I've been made redundant once since we moved to Leeds due to working for a Brewer who's industry is one the downturn due to the pub trade eroding but I've bounced back. I now work for a company that is growing and is extremely successful. We've moved again about 2 years ago and are in a much better house. So yes I could very well just bury my head in the sand and get on with it but I don't vote for myself I consider the big picture, sue me for caring.

Also lets look at this from what I'm hearing the working class Britain took us out the EU if the maps and reports are to be believed.

One of the things that is going to come from this is that we are going to have an even more right wing government in power.

Now fair enough if you are true blue tory, I'm certainly not, I was born in 1972 and most of the first half of my life was under the Tories primarily Maggie and I'll tell you now it was no picnic.

So exactly how is a more right wing tory party who subtely keeping changing the borders now than to make it more difficult for another party to have any chance of ousting them going to help working class Britian?

If history teaches us anything it's Conservatives we'll screw the poor, they've always done and they'll continue to do it and now they won't have to worry about the EU stranglehold to stop them.

Workers rights will get eroded and the right to strike we'll not be there, instead they'll be able to make as difficult as possible for working class Britian to express democratic right.

Now some probably think that is great because lets face we are becoming more selfish as time goes on as long as we've got our X-Factor I Phone or Steel Book Blu ray collection why should we give a shit? But those who it will affect have effectively done it to themselves they just don't realise it yet.

As my friend said above this was not intention of the Leave campaign bar that odious creature Farage, they most likely wanted to put the dissatisfaction with the EU on the table so that they could go to Brussells and work out a better deal.

Even before Thursday the EU were saying due to the situation during the campaigning and the ugliness that has come about perpertrated on both sides that something needed to be addressed.

We would have negotiated something more ideal and continued in the EU instead the Leave campaign banged on about immigration that big fat lie about £350 million and the around 50% of the British people who voted fell for it.

Like @Getafix said it feels like a nightmare we aren't going to wake up from.

@SpectreNumberTwo where do you get off your as nasty and condescending yourself, it wasn't an overwhelming victory, almost half of the voting public is getting dragged out of the EU against their wishes.
    Sour grapes ? ;)
    Sour grapes ? ;)

Just look at the bloody news, sour grapes you make me sick!

Typical remain voter, full of bile and hatred :)) hey lighten up dude. You can always
    Emigrate, to the EU or The Magical Kingdom, as you guys seem to think of it. ;)
    Interesting paper from the Toronto Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/06/24/eu-cant-go-on-forever-without-earning-consent-of-the-governed-paul-wells.html

I'm an immigrant in the UK (albeit not from the EU) and I don't like Nigel Farrage one bit, neither do I like most of the more conservative representatives of the Leave campaign, but the EU had serious issues that it failed to address and in fact refused to address. I also did not like the name calling of many of the Remain campaign voters. This is why after a very long and difficult reflection I voted Leave. I am still not sure of my choice to be honest, if I made the right one or not, but I think I owe far more to my country of adoption than to the European Union, which in fact with its rules and heavy bureaucracy had sometimes made my life very difficult here.
This discussion has been closed.