"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Christ this is turgid dross.

I hope all those who were getting optimistic at the youthful attacking squad have been brought back down to earth. This Roy Hodgson remember a man whose default position at the start of a game is 'I've got 0-0 Jim. I've had a wonderful time and don't want to risk it by going for the caravan.'

Jesus we're against 10 men in a friendly and still he won't have a real go at the opposition.

Classic Woy.
    I am dozing off, England too slow with there movement and passing.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

I hope all those who were getting optimistic at the youthful attacking squad have been brought back down to earth. This Roy Hodgson remember a man whose default position at the start of a game is 'I've got 0-0 Jim. I've had a wonderful time and don't want to risk it by going for the caravan.'

Jesus we're against 10 men in a friendly and still he won't have a real go at the opposition.

Classic Woy.

He's the weakest link in the squad for me.

It's a very tough call who's got less charisma: Woy or Wowy Kinnear.
  • RC7RC7

Classic Woy.

Would love to see Woy do Hamlet. I'd pay very good money.

Classic Woy.

To be honest Woy playing Tanner couldn't be any worse than what we've got.
  • RC7RC7

Classic Woy.

To be honest Woy playing Tanner couldn't be any worse than what we've got.

Ha ha. As an aside, I'm secretly hoping Ian Wright goes hipster. All he needs is a tash and he'd look like a black Alf Garnett.
    a black Alf Garnett.

Surely a contradiction in terms?
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,512
    a black Alf Garnett.

Surely a contradiction in terms?

Yeah. Maybe he'd just implode, or continue to exist solely on a molecular level.
    Woy thought we played well. Quelle surprise.

Good job they only had 10 men for an hour and no Ronaldo or we'd have been in trouble.

I doubt many Russians, Welsh or even Slovakians are losing much sleep after watching that.
    Not long now to wait for the Euro's!! <:-P
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Not long now to wait for the Euro's!! <:-P
    Time for me to remember who the Champions are...
    :D :D :D

Spain-Euro-2012.jpg
    ITV have Slaven Bilic as a pundit??

Be interested to see what this cheating c**t has to say when someone dives for a pen.
    Billic needs a refund from his Barber.

My prediction France 2 - 0
    Billic needs a refund from his Barber.

Too right. I can't really see many people going in and asking for a chemo cut.

Great goal from Payet!
    Missed last ten minutes had to go to work [-(
    Come on England... show your metal, Wales have set there stall out cant afford any slip ups.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2016 Posts: 6,805
    Missed yesterday, but today it has been abismal. I hope England and Russia can make up for it, and I don't mean they should kill one another. My goodness, disgraceful display today in the streets of Marseille.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    My goodness, disgraceful display today in the streets of Marseille.

Really? I've just spent the last hour walking the streets of Marseile and haven't seen a sniff of trouble.

Anyway enough of these countries like Albania and Wales hogging the limelight. As Colonel Stewart says in Die Hard 2 'It's time for the main event.'

See you on the other side gentlemen.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    F...ing useless how the hell did England draw that game, they need to sort out how they mentally approach games same old story. Should have been out of site, need better composure in final third.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I know I am just a dumb Yank, but I still have no idea why the UK is broken up for international football, though not for the Olympics. It seems to me that better results would come from that unity. Yes/no?
    TripAces wrote: »
    I know I am just a dumb Yank, but I still have no idea why the UK is broken up for international football, though not for the Olympics. It seems to me that better results would come from that unity. Yes/no?
    Its not so much a case of broken up, separate countries have always competed in most sports and battles. As some one who is England supporting, I have less enthusiasm toward amalgamated GBR teams.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    For me, the England result has come about from bad management by Hodgson. Russia were there for the taking in the first half and, at 0-0 at half time, Woy should have been brave and made changes. Sterling was poor all game and, in my opinion, should have come off at half time for someone like Vardy to really have a got at that Russian defence. Even in the second half England were much better but still no changes. Kane looked shattered, there are 2 perfect fit strikers on the bench. Not one of them got on. Ok, so they went one nil up through the excellent Dier who, along with Rooney, were arguable Englands best players; but then he seemed to want to sit on that 1-0 lead. Why? On top, go for the jugular and get a couple more. Strange deciib to bring Wilshire on, to hold the ball, againsitting on a 1-0 lead. And at the end they got the shock of their lives when Russia equalised. Poor day for them and Wales day got that much better

Anyway, my country of birth,Northern Ireland start tomorrow versus Poland. Thankfully, there is no expectation like on England and, therefore, no pressure. Looking forward to it. If the Euro tournaments from 1992 onwards are anything to go by, then this is an undergo year. 1992, Denmark (after filling a space left by Yugoslavia leaving the competition), 12 years later in 2004, extremely unfancied Greece won it, 12 years later in 2016, Northern Ireland??? I can dream....
    Woy Fwoze! Rashford and Vardy on bench a no brainer to put Russia on back foot, Woy went safe and paid price.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Just saw a press conference with Joachim Low, the Germany coach...the guy is Thomas Newman's doppleganger!

5383a30511a05_low.jpg

Thomas_Newman.jpg
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just saw a press conference with Joachim Low, the Germany coach...the guy is Thomas Newman's doppleganger!

5383a30511a05_low.jpg

Thomas_Newman.jpg

Separated at birth, wonder if they have ever been seen in the same room together.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @chrisisall is such a busy and multitalented guy. Scoring Bond movies, coaching other countries in football while also posting here and being a ninja.
    For me, the England result has come about from bad management by Hodgson. Russia were there for the taking in the first half and, at 0-0 at half time, Woy should have been brave and made changes. Sterling was poor all game and, in my opinion, should have come off at half time for someone like Vardy to really have a got at that Russian defence. Even in the second half England were much better but still no changes. Kane looked shattered, there are 2 perfect fit strikers on the bench. Not one of them got on. Ok, so they went one nil up through the excellent Dier who, along with Rooney, were arguable Englands best players; but then he seemed to want to sit on that 1-0 lead. Why? On top, go for the jugular and get a couple more. Strange deciib to bring Wilshire on, to hold the ball, againsitting on a 1-0 lead. And at the end they got the shock of their lives when Russia equalised. Poor day for them and Wales day got that much better

Anyway, my country of birth,Northern Ireland start tomorrow versus Poland. Thankfully, there is no expectation like on England and, therefore, no pressure. Looking forward to it. If the Euro tournaments from 1992 onwards are anything to go by, then this is an undergo year. 1992, Denmark (after filling a space left by Yugoslavia leaving the competition), 12 years later in 2004, extremely unfancied Greece won it, 12 years later in 2016, Northern Ireland??? I can dream....

A perfect summary of the game Sir and why I've been saying for years Woy is our weakest link. Russia were extremely limited and there for the taking. Once the first goal went in the only possible move was Vardy on for Sterling to destroy them on the break as they pushed forwards. Sterling was f**king appalling all night (hardly a novelty) but the only c**t in the stadium who couldn't see it was the blind prick in charge.

If getting knocked out in the group stage again is what it takes for the FA mugs to sack this clueless sack of shit then so be it.

Any other serious footballing nation would sack their manager after the showing at the last World Cup but not us. Then again since when have we been a serious footballing nation?

The very best of British to the lads from the North tomorrow.
    If Woy learns the meaning of the word Bold with the fire power at his disposal England should go far. Woy does not have killer instinct, it's a major worry going forward.
    Dearie me, Woy too scared to put the premiership player of the year on the pitch and instead settles for a 1-0. Suicide, you kinda knew the Russia goal was coming in those last few secs