Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dalton wrote: »
    Not everything is an audition for Bond. All this tells us, I think, is that both actors are playing a part in their respective productions.

And yet people see Bond vibes in TNM. The mind boggles.
    That Loki role earned him the reputation he has. Those Thor films were mostly watched by woman to enjoy Hemsworth/Hiddleston.

I think you're reaching considerably here. First, the Thor films were mostly watched by the Marvel fans and the portion of the general public that is inclined to watch superhero films. As for earning him the reputation that he has, I do agree. That reputation seems to be that of someone who a great number of people (myself not included, for full disclosure) want to see play Bond. The claim that women were watching mostly for him (and Hemsworth) would further bolster his Bond credentials. That gives him half of the "every man wants to be him, and every woman wants to be with him" criteria we always hear about.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    I only ever saw one episode of TNM and was not impressed. That vicar started causing a scene and Hiddles stepped in to apologise to the other diners. Oh, yes, very Bondian. Hiddleston has too much of that "if I washed it, would you touch it" Hugh Grant vibe about him. He's what Americans think of when they think of a typical Englishman. He would be box office gold in the USA, which is doubtless why EON is considering him.

Ah, so you're basing your entire opinion on one episode. That explains a lot.

Yeah, sorry, I probably just caught the one where he gets all the Mooreisms out of the way.

Which 'Mooreisms' were those?

Well, tripping over himself with platitudes for those diners for a start. Turner never cared for others in ATTWN, he had the "If he fires me, I'll thank him for it" attitude down to a tee.

He's undercover. See, this is the problem when people make sweeping statements without actually investing the time to soak up the ability of the actors in question. If you actually watched the show in its entirety you would see the duality of his performance. It's disingenuous to wax lyrical about one actor and dismiss another when you haven't given both an equal showing. Hiddleston would bring something different to the table, whereas I feel Turner is 'Diet Dalton'.
    I only ever saw one episode of TNM and was not impressed. That vicar started causing a scene and Hiddles stepped in to apologise to the other diners. Oh, yes, very Bondian. Hiddleston has too much of that "if I washed it, would you touch it" Hugh Grant vibe about him. He's what Americans think of when they think of a typical Englishman. He would be box office gold in the USA, which is doubtless why EON is considering him.

Yeah, sorry, I probably just caught the one where he gets all the Mooreisms out of the way.

Well, tripping over himself with platitudes for those diners for a start. Turner never cared for others in ATTWN, he had the "If he fires me, I'll thank him for it" attitude down to a tee.

He's undercover. See, this is the problem when people make sweeping statements without actually investing the time to soak up the ability of the actors in question. If you actually watched the show in its entirety you would see the duality of his performance. It's disingenuous to wax lyrical about one actor and dismiss another when you haven't given both an equal showing. Hiddleston would bring something different to the table, whereas I feel Turner is 'Diet Dalton'.

Diet Dalton is fine by me.
    When I went to see Spectre, over half the audience was middle aged women. Which is actually pretty awesome; it shows how the Craig era has expanded the Bond audience. I feel like hiring an actor like Hiddleston, whose female fanbase seems like teenagers and young 20-somethings, would be a step in the opposite direction. That's not necessary a bad thing, but I personally don't like it.

Ideally, I think the next Bond actor shouldn't be well known, especially from movies. The main thing about the Bond role is you need to BECOME Bond. It's a new identity, not just a role. If the actor is already really famous, I think it diminishes some of that magic.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it'll be someone I've never even heard of.
  • RC7RC7

The vaulting ambition of the fan.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
  • RC7RC7

You want Craig to stay then? Interesting.

Well, anything is preferable to the 'vaulting ambition' of Hiddleston.
  • RC7RC7

Like I say, watch more of his work and then I can take your critique more seriously.

Like I say, watch more of his work and then I can take your critique more seriously.

Indeed. When does the 'vaulting ambition' appear? Episode 4?
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,512

Episode 3, when he stumbles across a pommel horse in the Alps.

Episode 3, when he stumbles across a pommel horse in the Alps.

Well, everybody needs a hobby.
    The bookies have suspended betting on Hiddleston.
    The bookmakers suspended betting on Bond back in early 2005 as well, with their two favorites to land the role at the time being Dougray Scott (6-9 odds) and Clive Owen (5-2).

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The bookmakers suspended betting on Bond back in early 2005 as well, with their two favorites to land the role at the time being Dougray Scott (6-9 odds) and Clive Owen (5-2).

I am dying to know: Which of them was eventually cast?
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631

I am dying to know: Which of them was eventually cast?

That's going to be the big reveal after Bond 25. It's going to turn out that it was Dougray Scott all along wearing one of his Mission: Impossible - 2 masks making him look like the blonde chap from Tomb Raider. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That would be a bit controversial, but if it works within the story...
    That would be a bit controversial, but if it works within the story...

It's all about the retcon.

• DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    edited May 2016 Posts: 21
    Myself and a new work Colleague were discussing our hobbies the other day, and discovered much to my delight that he is a massive Bond fan as well.
    We fell upon the topic of who should be the next Bond, and again was surprised to learn that he supports Hiddleston, as do I.
    If I had been asked a year ago, I would have supported Fassbender, but seeing as he's attached to other franchises I find it unlikely that he would ever be Bond.
    For me Hiddleston would provide the opportunity to take Bond back to the more stripped back movies of Connery like FRWL; less action movie, more of an actual espionage thriller, the villain and their plot being less obvious and a hightened sense of threat. Hiddleston would obviously not be as physical a Bond as Craig, which in my opinion is a good thing. Instead of relying on numerous action set pieces, a Hiddleston Bond would be more like the book Bond; relying on his brain rather than brute strength to outwit adversaries.
    As to Turner, I just can't see what others do. Sure, he looks like Bond in photo stills, but he can't act to save his life. 'And there there were none' is usually sounded out as his Bond like performance, but I watched it on its first run at Christmas and it wasn't until I came on this forum that I saw any link (a dubious one at best). He has that look of a killer, but otherwise he seriously lacks charm. His performance felt more emotionally/ mentally detached rather than a Bond like coldness. In the Hobbit, his charm felt forced, borderline annoying. Hiddleston needs work I agree, but it's less than the overhaul that Turner would need. Brosnan looked like Bond and look how that turned out.
    Having said all that I would take Turner over a night club bouncer Bond ala Elba and Hardy
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    As to Turner, I just can't see what others do. Sure, he looks like Bond in photo stills, but he can't act to save his life. 'And there there were none' is usually sounded out as his Bond like performance, but I watched it on its first run at Christmas and it wasn't until I came on this forum that I saw any link (a dubious one at best).
    It's interesting you say that, because my sister watched the show when it was broadcast here a few months back. She mentioned it to me in passing at lunch one day and asked me to watch it (it had already done its run by this time so it was too late).

Curious, I asked her why, assuming it was because she had set sights on Bond potential (knowing I'm always on the look out for it). Surprisingly, her answer was because she knows I'm an Agatha Christie fan.

So I asked her what she thought of Turner, and that he has been mentioned as Bond material. I even described him to her. She just stared at me blankly and shrugged. So he made no impact on her as a potential Bond contender, even though she liked the show, and is a bit of a Bond fan (on account of me of course).
    Ok I will confess I am the next James Bond 007 I had meetings with the producers and I am currently with an accent coach to work on my British accent

And then I woke up ;)
    bondjames wrote: »
    As to Turner, I just can't see what others do. Sure, he looks like Bond in photo stills, but he can't act to save his life. 'And there there were none' is usually sounded out as his Bond like performance, but I watched it on its first run at Christmas and it wasn't until I came on this forum that I saw any link (a dubious one at best).
    It's interesting you say that, because my sister watched the show when it was broadcast here a few months back. She mentioned it to me in passing at lunch one day and asked me to watch it (it had already done its run by this time so it was too late).

Curious, I asked her why, assuming it was because she had set sights on Bond potential (knowing I'm always on the look out for it). Surprisingly, her answer was because she knows I'm an Agatha Christie fan.

So I asked her what she thought of Turner, and that he has been mentioned as Bond material. I even described him to her. She just stared at me blankly and shrugged. So he made no impact on her as a potential Bond contender, even though she liked the show, and is a bit of a Bond fan (on account of me of course).

I feel pretty much the same way about Turner. He's made little to no impression on me as a potential Bond candidate. Now, I've made it no secret that I feel somewhat similarly about Hiddleston as well, but I can at the very least see what it is that gets his supporters to arrive at their decision that he's the guy. I feel like Turner gets some of his support (note that I'm not saying all) because he supposedly looks good wearing a tuxedo.

That's not to say that my choice for the next Bond is better. Well, in my mind he's better anyway because that's what makes my choice for the part my choice ;) , but at the end of the day, we've all got that one guy we'd like to see take over for Craig and only one group of fans is going to be truly happy with the choice and the others are going to need to be won over by whoever it is that EON chooses.

A dance off to see who gets the role?
    5185.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=2440b8f5726465d5123f784c32182eb5
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) great photo.
    So Elba's still in the running, it appears? ;)

A dance-off for the part of Bond between Roland the Gunslinger and Loki. Strangely enough, there's probably some money to be made off of this on some kind of reality competition. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Actually, now that I look more carefully, I think they were potentially trying to punch each other, parodying their rivalry. Here's another one.

Mr. Bond, I presume?
    5787.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=2e8d6ac14ae37e605835eecd59190055

It's all just a big lovefest at the end of the day
    4566.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=e060837dea53f6e43ba6b69226301a54

Elba looks so old now. He's aged overnight, like a pear. Hiddleston looks older too. I know he's only 35, but he looks closer to 40 IMO. Maybe its just his haircut.
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    bondjames wrote: »

It is rather strange. I personally haven't found anyone who's an avid Bond fan that advocates for Turner to be Bond. However, I have found that a lot of casual Bond fans i.e those who see a Bond film occasionally or when its fashionable, such as 'Skyfall', tend to support Elba for the role. Make of that what you will....