Roger Moore CAN act

12346»

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sir Roger can act. He just makes it look effortless.
    Roger was brilliant in a little shown movie The Naked Face. :)
    ( apologies if it's already been mentioned )

Read the book, was curious to see the film (couldn't picture Roger as the protagonist), but again it never played in my area. Was the movie itself any good?
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Never saw it in release here. I was a kid after all. But I have the DVD. What's a bit frustrating about a lot of his films is that they are kinda hard to get around here. Crossplot was tough to find, Shout at the Devil only recently came out on BD, same with Wild Geese. Freaking Americans... :D :))

1) I seem to remember R.M. saying (facetiously, perhaps) in the LALD diary that after seeing CROSSPLOT United Artists wasn't too enthusiastic about having him play Bond!

2) Hadn't thought about Peter Hunt's SHOUT AT THE DEVIL for a while. Good adaptation of a Wilbur Smith novel I enjoyed. Saw it at a Sat. or Sun. matinee (1976?). A little long, as I recall, but it held my attention throughout, and the Moore-Marvin byplay and interplay worked nicely. B. Parkins ok but a bit of a cipher.

3) Hadn't known until recently that Hunt directed WILD GEESE 2! As a director, Hunt had a far-too-short filmography, and sadly unworthy of his gifts, in my opinion.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    suavejmf wrote: »

Sums it up. It's ridiculous to assume that someone who couldn't act would be Bond for 7 movies - still the longest tenure as Bond in history.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 79
    I haven't heard many accusations that Moore couldn't act. Just that he was the wrong choice for Bond, and more importantly his sensibilities led to the series taking a wrong turn for a decade.

Now I don't know to what extent they had already decided the direction the series was to take, but they at least had the support of Moore in what they were doing.

Also it was wrong to cast a 45 year old. Yes he looked younger in his first two but time waits for no man and his last 3 efforts he was clearly over the hill.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

Indeed. Especially the humour part. When Brosnan does it you can see he just emphasises it too much.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Not every actor has to be on James Stewart, Anthony Hopkins or Denzel level.
    Certainly not an actor that wants to play James Bond.

James Bond is about action, thriller, fun, humour, excitement (I'm talking cinematic Bond).

All 6 actors were absolutely fine in the role.
    And except for Sean Connery no one was on a higher acting skill level.

Roger Moore is one of those actors who simply can be himself and that was perfect for the roles he played.
    Simon Templar, Lord Brett Sinclair, James Bond, Shawn Fynn, Ffolkes, Gavin Stewart or Lord Edgar Dobbs.
    The only time I have seen a slightly "different" Roger Moore was his role as Major Otto Hecht.

The title says "Roger Moore CAN act", of course he can.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think the hardest thing to do in front of a camera, is to appear
    Relaxed and natural. There are some great actors around but
    You are very aware they have one eye on an Oscar nomination. ;)
    While Roger is simply giving a great relaxed, professional performance,
    To entertain an audience. He makes it all look so easy.

This. It's one reason I now prefer Moore to the likes of Dalton and Broz. I got the impression both men were often quite self conscious. Dalton is well praised (rightly) but I sometimes got the feeling he was pulling out all his dramatic acting chops. Same with Broz.
    Brosnan does at times come off as self-conscious, particular in Die Another Day. But with the horrendous dialogue he was given who could blame him?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Brosnan does at times come off as self-conscious, particular in Die Another Day. But with the horrendous dialogue he was given who could blame him?

I'm not sure Rog could even sell some of those lines.

I do chuckle at the Mr Kil line because of its awfulness though.
  • DAD was his best performance imo. It took him four films to work out how to play Bond. But yeah the schoolboy sleazy jokes throughout his tenure were horrendous
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »

This. It's one reason I now prefer Moore to the likes of Dalton and Broz. I got the impression both men were often quite self conscious. Dalton is well praised (rightly) but I sometimes got the feeling he was pulling out all his dramatic acting chops. Same with Broz.
    Precisely. Well put. The key with Bond is to underplay it, and Moore understood that, to his credit. Some of the others mentioned here clearly did not. Subtlety is a key element of a good dramatic James Bond performance ironically, imho.
    DAD was his best performance imo. It took him four films to work out how to play Bond. But yeah the schoolboy sleazy jokes throughout his tenure were horrendous

Worst in his four films, but not necessarily his fault.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Not every actor has to be on James Stewart, Anthony Hopkins or Denzel level.
    Certainly not an actor that wants to play James Bond.

James Bond is about action, thriller, fun, humour, excitement (I'm talking cinematic Bond).

All 6 actors were absolutely fine in the role.
    And except for Sean Connery no one was on a higher acting skill level.

Roger Moore is one of those actors who simply can be himself and that was perfect for the roles he played.
    Simon Templar, Lord Brett Sinclair, James Bond, Shawn Fynn, Ffolkes, Gavin Stewart or Lord Edgar Dobbs.
    The only time I have seen a slightly "different" Roger Moore was his role as Major Otto Hecht.

The title says "Roger Moore CAN act", of course he can.

So agree with you but id say the exception of being a great actor apart from being a great movie Bond was Timothy Dalton and Maybe Daniel Craig.

Sean Connery even with his oscar was more like Brad Pitt of his hay Day than a similar to Marlon Brando or Daniel Day Lewis.
    its not an offense or flaw. like you said not everyone has to be a great thespian/ chameleon to make a successful career or being beloved on the big screen.

Actually there is a huge merit on being a great movie star actor like Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan or Roger Moore to name a few since its all about certain qualities that you have them or don't like charisma, screen presence, a pleasant voice and yes attractive looks.

Many actors can go method their whole careers and impress while working hard to give their best performances but if people watch them trying to do something like Sean Connery they would fail miserably.

I have respect for sides of the coin : the great thespians and the ones who always play variations of themselves but have that charisma which allows them to do so.

Here my favorite actors of each spectrum

My Favorite Chameleons, Thespian or Method actors

Daniel Day Lewis
    Ralph Fiennes
    Al Pacino
    Leonardo Dicaprio

My favorite Females in the thespians team

Meryl Streep
    Glenn Close
    Judi Dench
    Hellen Mirren
    Susan Sarandon
    Kate Winslet

My Favorite Movie Star actors or actors who always play themselves and don't even care to try an accent.

Male
    Pierce Brosnan
    Sean Connery
    Liam Neeson
    Brad Pitt
    Tom Cruise

Females :

Catherine Zeta Jones
    Julia Roberts
    Margot Robbie
    Nicole Kidman

Yes, there is a big difference between actor and movie star. My favorite stars are Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford. Favorite actors Al Pacino and Gene Hackman. The former two were also movie stars to a certain extent but not like Ford or Cruise.
    Hey gents,

Given Sir Rog's unfortunate passing I thought I'd resurrect this thread so we can all post our favorite acting moments of Roger Moore. I'll start.

First there's the scene from TSWLM where Bond confesses to killing Anya's lover. Unfortunately it's not on youtube but you all now what I'm talking about. Moore's plays it serious as a heart attack and his no nonsense and non regretful delivery really makes the scene a standout in an already excellent Bond film.

I also want to mention this scene from The Wild Geese. Whoever claimed Moore lacked gravitas and couldn't be taken seriously probably never saw this. Damn. Don't make Sir Rog mad. Who knows what he'll make you eat.

I don´t care wether he could act or not, he was a fantastic performer, and I loved seeing him onscreen.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Roger was a good actor. He was never going to challenge the greats of acting but he could act. No one could enjoy a film career that long without having some talent. I think Roger's self-deprecation was the problem. He down played himself enough that the media and critics started to believe it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He could definitely act. The Man Who Haunted Himself clearly shows that. He also demonstrated it many times throughout his long Bond tenure.

I think only Connery and he (among the actors who have done more than one film) nailed the tone perfectly for each Bond film they did.

I agree that his self deprecating stance is something that the media played with.
    thedove wrote: »
    Roger was a good actor. He was never going to challenge the greats of acting but he could act. No one could enjoy a film career that long without having some talent. I think Roger's self-deprecation was the problem. He down played himself enough that the media and critics started to believe it.

Very true. Sometimes I think he took it alittle too far in making fun of himself and should've defending his work a bit more instead of playing into the hands of his detractors. Either way I don't think it bothered him much. I get the impression that he died with few regrets.
    thedove wrote: »
    That is very true.

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    I think that Sir Roger Moore is an outstanding actor. Always highly entertaining!
    He is just pure class and I love him to bits! Love seeing his work more than ever just to hear that distinctive voice!