The Irish General Elections 2016/2020

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited February 2020 in General Discussion Posts: 17,727
Is anyone following this news since the Irish (i.e. the Republic of Ireland) General Election took place on Friday 26 February 2016?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35680750

Prime Minister Enda Kenny has conceded that his Fine Gael coalition with Labour will not return and there looks to be a hung parliament in the Dail in Dublin.

I live in Northern Ireland (thankfully still part of the United Kingdom) but I still find politics down South to be very interesting. Personally I'd have liked to see Enda Kenny returned with a Fine Gael majority as I think he was doing a good job (considering what he inherited) and is politically conservative (like myself).

This is the place to discuss the Irish General Election 2016 and I hereby open the floor to anyone who is interested and wants to leave a comment on this subject. :)

As a bit of an aside I've always thought that Enda Kenny bears a bit of a resemblance to Ian Fleming:

ireland-begins-its-eu-presidency-310x415.jpg

EDIT: Thread updated to discuss the Irish General Election held on Saturday 8 February 2020.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Getting a little bit esoteric here aren't we Draggers?

Best of err British getting a debate going on this one!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So... he's the new Irish general?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited February 2016 Posts: 13,384
    I'm not following it, but I did get a big laugh out of it, as at the start of the campaign
    Enda Kenny said he wanted no three party coalitions , with something about a wonky
    third leg on a milking stool. Which I found funny as it's odd to see politicians paint themselves into
    a corner like that, as given the state of Irish politics, a three ( maybe 4 ) party coalition, was on the
    cards. Then just the other day out canvassing he called voters " whingers !", I can't see that going
    down well with any voter. That's up there with G Brown's " That bigoted woman " statement. :))
    It didn't go down well calling some of the electorate "whingers". He tried to deflate the issue by saying he meant some members in opposition....but no one believed him! I live in the South, and it was on the cards that the minor coalition partners were going to get a drubbing, but the main party, kennys crowd, Fine Gale getting a hammering was a surprise, especially by themselves! The facts are that they inherited a bust country from the last lot, and austerity cuts were heaped on the people, finances have stabled, but unfortunately for them their campaign slogan "Lets keep the recovery going!" angered the electorate as a lot of people are not feeling that recovery! And in my opinion, they heaped most of the pain on those who could LEAST afford the cuts. Polls have shown that the highest earners in the country, actually INCREASED their wealth during austerity!
    But things are gonna get messy over the next few weeks, as no one has a clear mandate to form a Government. We could actually be facing another election soon! This was a party political broadcast on behalf of Mathis!!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,727

Well, it is esoteric to those on the UK mainland no doubt but I find it interesting at least. Some others on here might too, so let's not ring the death knell on this thread just yet! ;)
    So... he's the new Irish general?

You're assuming there that the Irish have an Armed Forces! :))
    The "We're all in it together " line used by many politicians is total BS,
    The top 5% of the wealthiest in all countries have seen their wealth increase !
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,727
    The "We're all in it together " line used by many politicians is total BS,
    The top 5% of the wealthiest in all countries have seen their wealth increase !

Yes, that phrase came back to haunt Cameron and Osborne but at least they did get a mandate at the 2015 British General Election whereas Enda Kenny has been punished at the polls for making the ROI the fastest growing economy in Europe! Evidently, he didn't run a great election campaign either!
    I do believe in the old saying that " The opposition don't win elections,
    Governments lose them" , I also think a lot of independents were elected,
    which I think adds to the over all thinking that people want a change from professional politicians. One of the things helping Trump in the Republican
    race in the US.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well, it is esoteric to those on the UK mainland no doubt but I find it interesting at least. Some others on here might too, so let's not ring the death knell on this thread just yet! ;)

I certainly wish you luck with it old chap.

It's surprising given the intertwined history that I would say there's barely anyone this side of the water who has a clue about Irish politics.

I myself know far more about French and German politics than Irish. Not to mention obviously being force fed the US circus.

Do Sinn Fein have some sort of presence in the south? After all their whole schtick is unifying all of Ireland so you'd think they'd want to force the hand of the Irish government to be more vociferous about the issue towards Westminster. Or now that they've got a bit of power in the north are they only obsessed like all politicians with hanging onto it?
    edited February 2020 Posts: 17,727

I certainly wish you luck with it old chap.

It's surprising given the intertwined history that I would say there's barely anyone this side of the water who has a clue about Irish politics.

I myself know far more about French and German politics than Irish. Not to mention obviously being force fed the US circus.

Do Sinn Fein have some sort of presence in the south?
    After all their whole schtick is unifying all of Ireland so you'd think they'd want to force the hand of the Irish government to be more vociferous about the issue towards Westminster. Or now that they've got a bit of power in the north are they only obsessed like all politicians with hanging onto it?

Yes, Sinn Fein certainly do have a presence in the South and in fact their leader Gerry Adams gave up his West Belfast Westminster seat in order to contest the 2011 Irish General Election and he won a seat in Co. Louth. Sinn Fein have a strategy to have political representatives in both parts of the island of Ireland and although they made gains in this election it was still not enough as some had predicted.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Well, I guess the Irish General election is as important to the rest of the world as is the Swiss General election.

By the way, isn't Ireland ruled by Brussels, since Ireland belongs (belonged) to the PIIGS states.
    Empress Merkel did impose her Austerity politics on Ireland, didn't she?
    :)) everyone of us in the EU is run by Germany !
    :)) everyone of us in the EU is run by Germany !

Vote OUT everyone!!!

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm glad, we (the Swiss) never joined the EU. We officially made the request for EU membership a long time ago, but it is clear since the 90's that the Swiss people NEVER would vote for actually joining that club.
    I did not follow it, maybe I should have had. After all, I love Ireland, I have some Irish blood (from far away) and they are our neighbours. AND they are a republic.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I did not follow it, maybe I should have had. After all, I love Ireland, I have some Irish blood (from far away) and they are our neighbours. AND they are a republic.

Yes, you certainly should follow it as it is fascinating and I guess we all have Irish blood somewhere... ;)

The fact that they are a republic does not impress me as a unionist of course.
    If anything I think the Republic of Ireland has copied America for its set up. It seems
    you have to pay for everthing from prescriptions to a Doctors appointment. Yet you still
    pay high taxes.
    If anything I think the Republic of Ireland has copied America for its set up. It seems
    you have to pay for everthing from prescriptions to a Doctors appointment. Yet you still
    pay high taxes.

No improvement over the United Kingdom there then.
    Well, we do have the NHS, and now you don't pat tax until you earn £11,000.
    Also if low paid you get your prescriptions free. So I think The UK has a good
    balance between social responsibility and wealth creation.
    Well, we do have the NHS, and now you don't pat tax until you earn £11,000.
    Also if low paid you get your prescriptions free. So I think The UK has a good
    balance between social responsibility and wealth creation.

Yes, perhaps the Irish will rejoin us in the UK? They're certainly very welcome. :D
    I have made the same comment several times myself :))
    I have made the same comment several times myself :))

Well it seems that we're in very esteemed company:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35645822

Best not to tell Gerry Adams though! :D
    History can be a funny thing, if Britain had given in on a few consessions, Ireland may
    never have left and today be like Scotland. With its own parliament, tax rasing powers
    in fact as independent as you can get without leaving.
    Same with America, if a few consessions had have been given, I'd say Britain could have
    held onto America for another 100 years or so.
    One big mistake I think Ireland did was to leave the Commonwealth, I think cutting all
    links with the UK was a mistake. As most of Irelands exports goes to Britain, hence the
    thinking that if the UK leaves the EU, Ireland may also have to leave as the UK is its main
    export market.
    All history but fun to think about what might have been.
    History can be a funny thing, if Britain had given in on a few consessions, Ireland may
    never have left and today be like Scotland. With its own parliament, tax rasing powers
    in fact as independent as you can get without leaving.
    Same with America, if a few consessions had have been given, I'd say Britain could have
    held onto America for another 100 years or so.
    One big mistake I think Ireland did was to leave the Commonwealth, I think cutting all
    links with the UK was a mistake. As most of Irelands exports goes to Britain, hence the
    thinking that if the UK leaves the EU, Ireland may also have to leave as the UK is its main
    export market.
    All history but fun to think about what might have been.

Yes, good points there. It's fascinating to think "What if?..." in history if things had been done even just a little bit different!

Yes, you certainly should follow it as it is fascinating and I guess we all have Irish blood somewhere... ;)

Staying in the UK wouldn't have worked. Different people, different cultures, etc. For the record I think Ireland is far from perfect. The Catholic Church is still too influential (they have very strict abortion laws as I understand). However they've got the right sort of political system for a democracy.

Staying in the UK wouldn't have worked. Different people, different cultures, etc. For the record I think Ireland is far from perfect. The Catholic Church is still too influential (they have very strict abortion laws as I understand). However they've got the right sort of political system for a democracy.

Oh no, they have abortion in Ireland. It's just that there's a twelve month waiting list.

I agree that the Catholic Church is still too influential there but that too is changing with all of the child abuse scandals and paedophile priests.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As an Irishman who still resides in Ireland, it is a very disheartening place to be.

We have re-elected our hopeless Tanaíste despite the fact that it was herself and her comrades that were responsible for taking health benefits away from people with disabilities.

We have given a huge amount of seats back to the former governing party that put the country into a state of economic decline and also given support to the other majority party which wanted to privatise a massive public utility.

I am quite young (in my mid 20's) and every friend I ever had growing up has left the country to find work. I imagine I won't be too far behind them.

It's very irritating that despite all the complaining the people of the country have dished out in the last five years, they still voted for the old cronies.

Despite that, there are rumours that quite a significant number of the population were inexplicably removed from the Live Register and when they turned up to vote they were told they couldn't.
    I really think just like the American president, politicians should only be allowed two
    terms, then move on to let some new blood in. It might help to keep them in the
    Real world of ordinary people.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really think just like the American president, politicians should only be allowed two
    terms, then move on to let some new blood in. It might help to keep them in the
    Real world of ordinary people.

There's no such thing as a perfect political system, it seems.
This discussion has been closed.