The Irish General Elections 2016/2020

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    It's not only Ireland that has the problem of the youth seeing no alternative than to leave the country.
    It happens in Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece.

Funny that those are the so-called PIIGS countries.
    Merkel (and yes it was her single-handedly) has enforced her Austerity politics upon those countries.
    These politics have failed big time long ago, and even if everybody knows it, they still hang on to it, which is slowly destroying several social structures in various European countries.

The problem is, voters don't have a real choice anymore. In most countries the political parties on the left and the right belong to an establishment that is long ruled by the big companies, respectively financial system.

The EURO has to die and fast or quite a number of countries have to be "thrown" out of it or there has to be a EURO light for those countries.
    But sadly, the same ole leaders hang on to the dream of a functional monetary union even if it is crystal clear that it has failed already.
    The result will be disastrous.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A benolevant dictator ? ;)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    What, the Irish elect people into government..??
    I though you fella's just had a whip-'round? :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,034
    AceHole wrote: »
    What, the Irish elect people into government..??
    I though you fella's just had a whip-'round? :D

Hard to believe, right? You'd swear we were a real country or something. ;)
    I really think just like the American president, politicians should only be allowed two
    terms, then move on to let some new blood in. It might help to keep them in the
    Real world of ordinary people.
    They should do that for all federal politicians...and set fundraising caps... It appears to me that while countries are all a bit different, the politics are just the same.
    Over the years I've become a complete cynic, I regard all politicians as crooks and
    Liars. :(
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Over the years I've become a complete cynic, I regard all politicians as crooks and
    There's nothing cynical about that. They are. Especially as these days there are only career politicians, not idealistic ones. It's people with the skill to manipulate but aren't good enough for commercial companies.

There's nothing cynical about that. They are. Especially as these days there are only career politicians, not idealistic ones. It's people with the skill to manipulate but aren't good enough for commercial companies.

Indeed. The overlapping traits of a successful politician with the common criminal are very disturbing.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 14,824
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I did not follow it, maybe I should have had. After all, I love Ireland, I have some Irish blood (from far away) and they are our neighbours. AND they are a republic.

Yes, you certainly should follow it as it is fascinating and I guess we all have Irish blood somewhere... ;)

The fact that they are a republic does not impress me as a unionist of course.

Staying in the UK wouldn't have worked. Different people, different cultures, etc. For the record I think Ireland is far from perfect. The Catholic Church is still too influential (they have very strict abortion laws as I understand). However they've got the right sort of political system for a democracy.

Oh no, they have abortion in Ireland. It's just that there's a twelve month waiting list.

I agree that the Catholic Church is still too influential there but that too is changing with all of the child abuse scandals and paedophile priests.

I know they do, but I understand abortion is very restricted in Ireland. I have a friend of mine who lives there, she said that her son being unbaptized poses a real struggle at school.
    I really think just like the American president, politicians should only be allowed two

There's no such thing as a perfect political system, it seems.

And there should not be. You need to go for what's best, not what's perfect.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I did not follow it, maybe I should have had. After all, I love Ireland, I have some Irish blood (from far away) and they are our neighbours. AND they are a republic.

Yes, you certainly should follow it as it is fascinating and I guess we all have Irish blood somewhere... ;)

Staying in the UK wouldn't have worked. Different people, different cultures, etc. For the record I think Ireland is far from perfect. The Catholic Church is still too influential (they have very strict abortion laws as I understand). However they've got the right sort of political system for a democracy.

Oh no, they have abortion in Ireland. It's just that there's a twelve month waiting list.

I agree that the Catholic Church is still too influential there but that too is changing with all of the child abuse scandals and paedophile priests.

I know they do, but I understand abortion is very restricted in Ireland. I have a friend of mine who lives there, she said that her son being unbaptized poses a real struggle at school.

Yes, and abortion is very restricted in Northern Ireland too, something I happen to support.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,034

And when there's no best option? >:D<

Yes, and abortion is very restricted in Northern Ireland too, something I happen to support.

One of the big things being promoted in my consituency by the various parties is the idea of being able to vote on the 8th Amendment. There's quite a lot of support for it. I do think there should be certain alterations made.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Come on that's not entirely true.

Some of them are collosal perverts too.
    :)) A man's got to have a hobby. ;)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

Come on that's not entirely true.

Some of them are collosal perverts too.

:D ker-CHING
    Thinking about it, I might be qualified myself, to be a politician. :D
    Hung parliaments seem to be the in thing!
    I don't think there are any politicians ( in any country) with any big ideas, by
    which to lead. So without any one to follow, people are voting all over the
    place. :(

I don't. And I understand it might be the least of their problems, but still, in the most tribal part of the UK, it might serve them well if they were a little bit more liberal. One can dream.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,804

I don't. And I understand it might be the least of their problems, but still, in the most tribal part of the UK, it might serve them well if they were a little bit more liberal. One can dream.

Each to their own and all that jazz. Would you have supported your own termination as a foetus I wonder? Something to think about there. And I'm not trying to be snide or hurtful; it's merely an exercise in thought. I believe that human (and animal) life is precious and that nobody has the right to terminate a life just because they feel like it, medical life threatening grounds excepted of course.
    Well, it would depend of the circumstances that lead, the degree of my development after conception, etc. I don't like abortion and I don't think it should be used lightly, I know that like all right it can be abused, but I think it is a necessity. I come from a society where historically unwanted pregnancies, whether through poor use (or no use) of contraceptives, rape or sexual abuse has hurt generations of women, shamed them, let them in a state of poverty, etc. And there are ways to diminish the number of abortions dramatically without going through prohibition: namely, good, comprehensive sexual education and easy access to contraceptives. Something I often find the Pro-Life camp doesn't seem to care much about.

I know it is far from the Irish election thread.
    Well, it would depend of the circumstances that lead, the degree of my development after conception, etc. I don't like abortion and I don't think it should be used lightly, I know that like all right it can be abused, but I think it is a necessity. I come from a society where historically unwanted pregnancies, whether through poor use (or no use) of contraceptives, rape or sexual abuse has hurt generations of women, shamed them, let them in a state of poverty, etc. And there are ways to diminish the number of abortions dramatically without going through prohibition: namely, good, comprehensive sexual education and easy access to contraceptives. Something I often find the Pro-Life camp doesn't seem to care much about.

I know it is far from the Irish election thread.

Well it's one of the big discussions in Irish society at the moment so irrelevancy ain't an issue here.

It looks like we may be looking at a second election, here.
    On Water Charges in the Republic of Ireland, a related topic, here is the Fine Gael Water Charges Prank on You Tube:

Very funny! :))
    They were very Brave ;) given how hated the water charges are, I surprised
    they did simply get punched in the face. :D
    They were very Brave ;) given how hated the water charges are, I surprised
    they did simply get punched in the face. :D

I know, you need a lot of balls to do something like that! :))
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,804
    Well after a mere 70 days since the Irish General Election of 2016 I'm pleased to report that Enda Kenny TD has finally been appointed in the Dail as Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of another coalition government:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0506/786503-dail-taoiseach-politics/
    Well after a mere 70 days since the Irish General Election of 2016 I'm pleased to report that Enda Kenny TD has finally been appointed in the Dail as Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of another coalition government:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0506/786503-dail-taoiseach-politics/

News that has been greeted with an outpouring of disgust and vitriol.
    Politicians ? :D
    I give it 6 months!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Aren't those the people that are always drunk and fighting?

To some, though others have called Ireland "the land of saints and scholars." Take your pick. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Each to their own and all that jazz. Would you have supported your own termination as a foetus I wonder? Something to think about there. And I'm not trying to be snide or hurtful; it's merely an exercise in thought. I believe that human (and animal) life is precious and that nobody has the right to terminate a life just because they feel like it, medical life threatening grounds excepted of course.

As someone who's then girlfriend has had an abortion I do resent the lightness of your tone and the ease with which you seem to condemn choises that are in themselves extremely hard to take. I've always wanted a child, so to decide to stop the pregnancy (copper spiral failed it's function) was very hard. But my ex wasn't ready, having enough personal problems. Our relationship was already under a lot of strain after many setbacks. And to put a child through life where the mother would resent it and the parents would struggle to give it a normal upbringing was for me reason enough to not go through with it, even though the joy I felt when we first found out was overwhealming, and even though it's been a heartfelt wish for me for so long.

But to answer your question: yes I would be happy if my parents had gone through such an ordeal to have my life terminated.

And another thing. I'd be more then interested in the way you care about human and animal life. Do you eat meat, for instance? Did you ver support any form of warfare? And be honest. How many snails, ants, mice, spiders have you killed in your lifetime?

This discussion has been closed.