In time, will SP be more or less appreciated?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Why some people can´t understand that JB and ESB are not even step brothers? It´s a bit annoying for me. :((
    The producers, directors and writers decided to confuse people. I think that's why some people don't get it. I suggest any annoyance be directed there:

ESB quote
    "I've really put you through a lot, haven't I? Well, that's brothers for you: they always know which buttons to press."
  • I think you miss the point.

I know full well they are not it is just easier to type 'step brother' than 'Bond was under the guardianship of Hannes Oberhauser so spent time with the family and thus encountered Franz Oberhauser'.

It's not the nature of the relationship that matters. They could be step brothers, cousins, next door neighbours, f**king gay lovers - it's irrelevant!

The point is having them know each other at all is a bollocks concept that shouldn't have made it past a brainstorming session let alone the final script.

Saying 'but they're not step brothers Bond just lived with the Oberhauser's for a bit ' is ignoring the fundamental issue.

Exactly

• bondjames wrote: »
    Why some people can´t understand that JB and ESB are not even step brothers? It´s a bit annoying for me. :((
    The producers, directors and writers decided to confuse people. I think that's why some people don't get it. I suggest any annoyance be directed there:

ESB quote
    "I've really put you through a lot, haven't I? Well, that's brothers for you: they always know which buttons to press."
    I understand it just as an evil provocation.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

ESB quote
    I understand it just as an evil provocation.
    Fair enough, and it is just that. However, it is also a 'doubling down' on the ridiculous notion that they knew each other in a previous life. Rubbing salt in the wounds as it were. Some may have gotten over this retro nonsense by the MI6 scene, but BANG, there it is again with emphasis to make us cringe.

It's likely even more confusing in foreign languages, where the subtleties are not picked up.
    I just watched the BD for the second time and frankly, can't wait to watch it again! It might become my most watched Bond film at this point. SP is just so much damn fun it's ridiculous. Flawed, sure, but incredibly entertaining.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What is BD?

Blu-Ray Disc.

What is BD?
    blu ray disc.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    I just watched the BD for the second time and frankly, can't wait to watch it again! It might become my most watched Bond film at this point. SP is just so much damn fun it's ridiculous. Flawed, sure, but incredibly entertaining.

My thoughts exactly, the most fun Bond in decades.

The_Reaper wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, the most fun Bond in decades.

Indeed it is. I think people got into a sort of lull because his first three were so different compared to SP and forgot how fun and grandiose they used to be back in the day. SP is the first "formula" style Bond since... hell, TWINE maybe? TND?
  • As much as I enjoyed it at the cinema I had reservations, mainly in relation to the execution of the Spectre/Blofeld aspects of the story.

Frankly the idea of Bond and Blofeld being almost brothers was too close to Austin Powers/Dr Evil territory for me at the time: "Who throws a cup-cake? Honestly!"

I also didn't think the ret-conning worked particularly well either. While the morphing of Quantum back into Spectre made sense considering the idea behind Quantum in the first place, the idea of Blofeld being the author of Bond's pain didn't sit right with me. I'd have preferred it if he had been introduced as a new foe who would continue to be there going into the next entries in the series.

However, having said that I found I enjoyed it much more when re-watching it on Blu-ray. I can only assume already knowing the above and just accepting it for what it was made it easier to just go along for the ride. And outside of the above it was already a great ride anyway. I think as I get more familiar with Spectre it could grow into a favourite.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,020
    That's difficult to say, probably the most unpredictable of all 4 movies.

Skyfall, undoubtably will suffer the most in the long run.
    CR will probably always be most people's favourite.
    QOS is the one to be rediscovered or discovered even in the future as being an underrated gem, even if it is a flawed gem.

I predict, that Spectre like GoldenEye will always be remembered fondly by most people and stand the test of time.
    Spectre has a timeless quality, maybe the most timeless Bond movie ever. This will be watchable in 2035 and in 2055, because it's neither boring or campy, it's evenly paced, visually beautiful and the plot doesn't take itself too seriously unlike Skyfall.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    SF shot up in my recent post-SP watch of it. I appreciated it much more than I have recently, but of course I had to just shut off the retcon in my mind.

I don't know how the rest of the world will feel about it in time, but I suspect it will remain for the masses, along with CR, as Craig's highlights if he signs off.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,077

QOS is the one to be rediscovered or discovered even in the future as being an underrated gem, even if it is a flawed gem.

I predict, that Spectre like GoldenEye will always be remembered fondly by most people and stand the test of time.
    Spectre has a timeless quality, maybe the most timeless Bond movie ever. This will be watchable in 2035 and in 2055, because it's neither boring or campy, it's evenly paced, visually beautiful and the plot doesn't take itself too seriously unlike Skyfall.

I agree with everything you say here. Very good analysis. :-bd
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I agree with everything you say here. Very good analysis. :-bd
    +1.
    CR has aged well, QOS of has aged a bit.

SF has aged well amongst the general public but the consensus among fans is its great but not the best Bond ever.

SP is interesting because it was polarizing but I think it will age well beacuse it almolst feels as if its Craigs first true bond film.
  • Skyfall is easily the better picture, and will stand the test of time. Spectre's better qualities will be enjoyed for its better qualities among bond fans.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SPECTRE might age better than Skyfall among a group here but the general consensus outside the rabid SPECTRE lovers is that it was definitely a drop down after SF.

Personally I'd watch SF over SP any day of the week, I've still not bought the Blu ray and will wait for it to drop considerably in price before parting with any cash for it.

I seriously can't see how such a devisive and flawed film is going to age better than a film regarded as Craig's answer to GF. I actually prefer QOS, for me it's Craig's worst entry.

• CR and SF will both be remembered fondly by both the "general movie going public" and most Bond fans, and QoS and SP are going to be known as "minor Craig Bonds." This isn't to say there won't be people who disagree. The former has a huge following on this forum.

I'm just saying the majority will probably lean that way.
    CR and SF will both be remembered fondly by both the "general movie going public" and most Bond fans, and QoS and SP are going to be known as "minor Craig Bonds." This isn't to say there won't be people who disagree. The former has a huge following on this forum.

I'm just saying the majority will probably lean that way.

I'm sorry, but SP was way, way too successful at the BO to be remembered by a majority as a minor Craig Bond. QOS, yes, but certainly not SP.

SF was a phenomenon, especially because of the 50th Anniversary and the huge success it had. Therefore it will always be remembered fondly and be glorified by most.

SP almost repeated SF's success. Don't be fooled, the BO doesn't tell the whole truth, in many markets SP broke ticket sales records and is now standing near the top of lists, together with SF of course. Something no other Bond movie has accomplished since TB (and SF). And the currency exchange situation hurt the BO of SP considerably, that's a fact.

Skyfall could be viewed as Craig's GF.
    SP could be viewed as Craig's TB. And it probably will, that's my guess.

GF and TB still have huge followings, where GF is generally viewed as "the Bond movie" which to no small part has to do with glorification.

• I actually think QoS has a more consistent overall tone than SP, without falling into the camp that seeps its way into SP.
    Regardless of box office (which basically can be attributed to SKYFALL), the general public never absorbed SPECTRE. Non-Bond fans were constantly telling me how much they loved SF, I'm honestly just not getting any of that with this one.

You're in the US. We all know they didn't get Spectre. Pretty much the rest of the important markets were quite enthusiastic about Spectre with various ticket sales records showing it nicely.

Why would Spectre outdo movies like Jurassic World and Avengers with almost double the ticket sales in European markets but not be "absorbed" by the audience.

Sorry, don't buy it.

The most hilarious thing is though, now saying Spectre's BO success is owed to Skyfall.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The general public likes easy to understand stuff. They'll see a movie based upon their hazy positive memory of the previous film in the series.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Regardless of box office (which basically can be attributed to SKYFALL), the general public never absorbed SPECTRE. Non-Bond fans were constantly telling me how much they loved SF, I'm honestly just not getting any of that with this one.

This is very true. With SF there was a buzz with people discussing it at work, on the tube etc.

With SP people at work just said:
    'Have you seen the new Bond?'
    'Yeah. It was alright wasn't it?'
    'Yeah.'

And then back to work.

And as you say the opening week draw of SP in this country was based on people's anticipation after SF.

The fact that SP beat SF in the opening week yet didn't manage to beat it's overall box office (I'm talking UK only here) suggests less repeat viewings and not as good word of mouth as SF.
    While I realize this is not the box office thread, I have said there before that a key metric to analyze if one is interested in box office is the 'multiplier'. I.e. the overall gross to the opening weekend gross. The higher that multiplier, the more 'legs' the film had. I am curious to see what that is in the UK and in other markets where SP performed 'well'. We already know the multiplier was not so impressive in the US.
    You can calculate as long as you want.
    Fact remains Spectre is inflation adjusted the 3rd most successful Bond movie after SF and TB together with GF.

If a majority of people really would have found Spectre to be so-so it would never had that kind of success.

Just accept reality people.
    SP was successful all the way. Just look at current sales of DVD/Blu-ray/Downloads. That would never happen if the mass audience wouldn't have loved Spectre at the cinema.

Spectre's success is even more astonishing because SF clearly profited highly from the 50th Anniversary and hype around that which created all that positive buzz, even before anyone had seen SF. Spectre had nothing of that at its disposal.

SP beat first week BO's over SF because it was opened on record amount of screens around the world. It's only logical to have a faster decrease in attendance after that.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It would be nice to see some specific results on the multiplier in markets where this film supposedly broke records rather than general statements. Of course, this is not the thread for it. This is more for discussion about whether this film will be appreciated (critically) in time, and we are way too early for that.

I certainly appreciate it more on blu ray than I did in my 3 viewings in the theatre, but time will tell what the general story on this film is.

In fact, if we get a soft reboot for B25 with a standalone story and perhaps a new actor, then that is as telling as anything (similar to how Quantum was brushed under the proverbial rug for SF). If on other other hand, we get a straight continuation story in B25 (with or without Craig) and mention of Blofeld, then I think it's safe to say that EON believes fully that SP met their goals.
    Personally, I don't care about box office what so ever. I'd probably prefer this be a moderately successful franchise, smaller budget and closer to reality. Where financial expectations were much lower. One that almost flew under the radar, and made on a much smaller scale. That EON didn't have the need to fight on the largest stage against Marvel, Star Wars and all, competing for the prime demographics. I'd prefer they were made for a more mature, eclectic audience. But that's not happening anytime soon.

I just put those stats up there to illustrate that when EON goes for a sequel the audience drops off.

I agree on that. I also would prefer the franchise had stayed away from that billion dollar BO success. Damn 50th Anniversary :))

Star Trek and Mission Impossible are good examples for franchises which never were able to get past a certain BO.
    Nobody would ever demand a billion dollars BO from a Star Trek movie or a MI movie. And look how those franchises have flourished lately.
    Both Star Trek movies are regarded as successful with BO's of 385, respectively 465 million USD. And a third one will be released this year and there are two! more in the pre-works already!

Sadly the "damage" has been done with SF. From now on, as various posts on this site illustrate, Bond movies will be judged by many people by SF's billion dollar BO and anything less is regarded as a failure or a mediocre result.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    It would be nice to see some specific results on the multiplier in markets where this film supposedly broke records rather than general statements. Of course, this is not the thread for it. This is more for discussion about whether this film will be appreciated (critically) in time, and we are way too early for that.

I certainly appreciate it more on blu ray than I did in my 3 viewings in the theatre, but time will tell what the general story on this film is.

In fact, if we get a soft reboot for B25 with a standalone story and perhaps a new actor, then that is as telling as anything (similar to how Quantum was brushed under the proverbial rug for SF). If on other other hand, we get a straight continuation story in B25 (with or without Craig) and mention of Blofeld, then I think it's safe to say that EON believes fully that SP met their goals.

SP did exceptionally well in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands, Scandinavia in general and other, smaller markets. Many records were broken, which doesn't mean SF was beaten necessarily. SF still holds many ticket sales records throughout Europe, also outside the franchise!
    It's a bit of work to collect all that info and statistics but the info is out there.

SP did exceptionally well in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands, Scandinavia in general and other, smaller markets. Many records were broken, which doesn't mean SF was beaten necessarily. SF still holds many ticket sales records throughout Europe, also outside the franchise!
    It's a bit of work to collect all that info and statistics but the info is out there.
    That's what I thought. SF still holds the record in many markets outside the US, including in the UK. I don't have access to this data readily, but that was my perception.

I stand by my view - if we see B25 as a follow on from SP, then EON likely feels the film met their internal expectations. If we see some major changes in approach and story (or cast for that matter) then it's quite likely that either EON, or the new studio, or both, feel that a new direction is required, which in a way answers the question of how they feel at least.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    They shifted after MOONRAKER and DIE ANOTHER DAY, despite the financial success of both films. In the face of the huge amounts of money, it was clear to EON and the public that things had gone sour.
    Yes, I agree. I was not talking about box office in my comments about EON so much as critical perception. EON watches these things.

Notice how they tied the retcon to SF of all things (even though that film could have easily remained as a standalone). I believe that was because they understood that SF was a highly respected and reviewed entry, and they wanted SP to bask in that halo glow.

Conversely, they made no mention of Quantum in SF, although they could have continued that story or at least alluded to it. QoS was a polarizing entry, and they knew it.

So, time will tell, based on how they approach B25, how they really feel about the public's view on SP.