In time, will SP be more or less appreciated?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm exactly the same. I hated it at first but over years of viewings, I came to really
    appreciate it, and I really like it now. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of people out there, Bond fans included, who haven't give it that chance.
    What about Birdelson who's given the movie 17 chances and still rates it dead last-???

I completely respect that. I love when people that didn't like it are willing to watch it again to see over time if their view changes. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but that effort means a lot to me.
    The great thing about forums is that you're not isolated, you can absorb others opinions.
    which can on future viewings, perhaps see the film through other eyes. With QOS I had
    A few things pointed out to me which I had missed.
    Also After all I'm a Bond fan, I want to like all these films. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There are certain elements in a film which can really impact a viewer's perception negatively. They may be only small key aspects, but one's entire perception can be clouded.

As an example, with me, it's the overacting and melodrama in TWINE. I will never be able to get over it, and it is something that will always make me uncomfortable about that film.

For QoS, I've seen many not able to get beyond the quick edits. It was also a major departure from CR in many ways, and so impacted expectations. That didn't help, especially since the plots were connected.

I think the same applies, to a lesser extent, with SP for many. It was just not what many expected post-SF. Further rewatches probably won't help for some, again because of the tonal changes and because the plot is once more connected. That's why I would have preferred if they had just left SF alone - I'm certain more who dislike SP could have come around if it was a standalone without the connection angle.

So I'm sure we all have at least one film that just won't work for us, no matter how many times we try to watch it, for whatever reason. Until TWINE, I was proud that I didn't have one like that.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MR was and is mine.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185

I completely respect that. I love when people that didn't like it are willing to watch it again to see over time if their view changes. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but that effort means a lot to me.

I try almost every year... I really REALLY want to like that film, i love the cast, the locations, and the fact that craigs movies are all connected now. But every time i watch that movie i find new things to hate about it (and some i love) i want to like all bond movies and i am generally not that critical, but quantum is like a failed movie experiment to me and i can't look past that no matter how hard i try
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    DAD is mine, and i every time i watch it, i think i dislike it more and more... there are a couple good scenes - but not enough to redeem the entire picture...

the only thing about it that i have softened to over the years has been Arnold's score... i despised it at first.. but after really giving it some good hard listens, there is some great stuff in there.. "Hovercraft Chase" - "Some Kind Of Hero" - "Welcome To Cuba" - "Jinx and James" - "Icarus" - "Whiteout" - "Iced Inc" - "Antonov" .... the score really outshines the film itself.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    speaking of which - Some Kind Of Hero actually wouldn't be that bad of a Bond movie title.... just now thought of that..
    HASEROT wrote: »
    DAD is mine, and i every time i watch it, i think i dislike it more and more... there are a couple good scenes - but not enough to redeem the entire picture...

the only thing about it that i have softened to over the years has been Arnold's score... i despised it at first.. but after really giving it some good hard listens, there is some great stuff in there.. "Hovercraft Chase" - "Some Kind Of Hero" - "Welcome To Cuba" - "Jinx and James" - "Icarus" - "Whiteout" - "Iced Inc" - "Antonov" .... the score really outshines the film itself.
    There was a time I hated DAD, but last couple of years I can really have a good time with it as long as I skip the awful Moneypenny VR scene.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've always enjoyed DAD. I'm ashamed of it, as a Bond film, but I still enjoy it.
  • Saw SP only once in the theater. Didn't care for it much but knew I'd give it another chance on DVD. Wow...this movie sucks. Trying to decide what is the worst Bond film of all time. This, or QOS. The dialogue is cringe-worthy action movie dribble. "Where is she?" "You're bluffing." Etc. The battle with Hinx on the train is the ONLY redeeming moment. And what is it with using the same musical score from SF?? Bond films have always been more creative than that. And there should never be any scene again in ANY movie where the hero holds a gun to the villain's head and then decides not to do it. SPECTRE is a 250 million dollar piece of s$%t!!!
    And there should never be any scene again in ANY movie where the hero holds a gun to the villain's head and then decides not to do it. SPECTRE is a 250 million dollar piece of s$%t!!!

i do believe he was legitimately out of bullets, he wasn't just saying it.
    I guess it's meant to symbolise how Blofeld allowed revenge to fill his life, while Bond
    Had decided to let, revenge go and live for love. Or simply put. ......
    .. He didn't join the Dark side. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A Licence to Kill is also a Licence Not to Kill. Mallory said it best.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I am just now watching SPECTRE for the fourth time, and I suddenly became aware of something that I had missed until now, and it's something that many people also seem to have missed.

Blofeld mentions 'a nice pattern developed, you interfered in my plans, I destroyed yours.'

In other words, Blofeld wasn't targeting Bond. Bond came across Blofeld's prior plans entirely by accident. Now if you think back to 'From Russia With Love', it was part of Kronsteen's plan to DELIBERATELY target Bond as revenge for killing Dr No. SPECTRE successfully manage to use Bond like a puppet for their own deeds. Compare that with SPECTRE, where it is explained (perhaps poorly) that Bond Just happened to bump into SPECTRE at different intervals during his career as a secret agent. I know which one I find easier to believe.

When Blofeld says he is the author of all Bonds pain, he is telling the truth. But I think that this may have given people the false impression that Blofeld had been toying with Bond for his own satisfaction, when in actual fact he had been punishing him for interfering with his plans.
    Wow...this movie sucks.
    SPECTRE is a 250 million dollar piece of s$%t!!!

Clearly you are an American, eh mate? Everything in black & white then? No gradations? :))
    I already appreciate it. Bond movies change tone frequently.
    IMO it's the best overall Bond in this Century. Some might say CR... and personally I like QOS a teensy bit better...
    But SPECTRE delivered the Bond goods. Highest possible re-watch value as well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I am just now watching SPECTRE for the fourth time, and I suddenly became aware of something that I had missed until now, and it's something that many people also seem to have missed.

Blofeld mentions 'a nice pattern developed, you interfered in my plans, I destroyed yours.'

In other words, Blofeld wasn't targeting Bond. Bond came across Blofeld's prior plans entirely by accident. Now if you think back to 'From Russia With Love', it was part of Kronsteen's plan to DELIBERATELY target Bond as revenge for killing Dr No. SPECTRE successfully manage to use Bond like a puppet for their own deeds. Compare that with SPECTRE, where it is explained (perhaps poorly) that Bond Just happened to bump into SPECTRE at different intervals during his career as a secret agent. I know which one I find easier to believe.

When Blofeld says he is the author of all Bonds pain, he is telling the truth. But I think that this may have given people the false impression that Blofeld had been toying with Bond for his own satisfaction, when in actual fact he had been punishing him for interfering with his plans.

Many of us caught this upon first viewing of the film.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Agreed. This isn't a new revelation about the plot. It was evident upon first viewing.

The thing is, this plot point could have worked had the arc actually been thought out in advance. If we'd seen Blofeld before Spectre, or even just had his presence referred to or implied in some way, it could have worked. But, to go through three films with three different main villains, only for the fourth movie to feature a villain who basically says: "You know what, those last three guys you killed. It wasn't really them. It was me." doesn't work. At all.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    dalton wrote: »

Agreed. This isn't a new revelation about the plot. It was evident upon first viewing.

The thing is, this plot point could have worked had the arc actually been thought out in advance. If we'd seen Blofeld before Spectre, or even just had his presence referred to or implied in some way, it could have worked. But, to go through three films with three different main villains, only for the fourth movie to feature a villain who basically says: "You know what, those last three guys you killed. It wasn't really them. It was me." doesn't work. At all.

This.

If it was done better (not the half arsed retcon job we got) I could've lived with that as an explanation but the fact that by chance the super villain whose plans Bond keeps inadvertently bungling into also happens to be his 'foster' brother is a footlong bollocks sandwich with bullshit sauce that I'm just not swallowing.
  • The thing is, SP really could have worked as a follow-up to CR.
    The story would make more sense (since Quantum is not mentioned outright until QOS). The 'our organisation' stuff said by White is purposely left ambiguous.

Foster brother stuff doesn't work for anyone it seems. And rightly so.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It worked for me. It didn't bother me at all. It was a fresh new take on the character.
    If spectres perception worsens over time then in my opinion it will be an underrated film
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    i'm sure if they could go back and redo certain things, knowing what they know now - i think they would have..

when they did CR and QOS, the rights to Spectre and Blofeld were still in the death grip of McClory (or his estate, cant remember when he died)... so in CR we get the setup to this evil shadowy organization... then in QOS we start learning a little bit more... for me, where the first misstep occurred is when they decided to name the organization 'Quantum' - they didn't have to directly name the organization in the film... it's like it was forced in as some half assed connection to the title of the movie - which, even in that context, makes absolutely no sense... Greene could've easily have said "I told you everything there is to know about our organization." .. and i believe there is a bit at the opera scene when one of the guys over the mic says "is this really the best use of Quantum's time?" - again, changing Quantum to "our", and then that bit at the end with Greene could've saved a world of confusion and headaches later (since they were actively pursuing those Blofeld rights)..

but, be that as it may - it isn't until after SF comes out that EON acquire the rights to Blofeld.... but instead of taking time to properly ease them both back into the fold - perhaps using a 1 film buffer, and then saving the reveal and confrontation for Bond 25 - they try to cram it all into 1 film, retconning and all.... this is where they really shot themselves in the foot, thus being their second misstep... i dont mind that they didn't go Marvel on us - and have everything planned out over the course of 4 films - because Bond movies have never been that way... but as other here stated, and i agree with - all the retconning to try and make the forced connections work is one of the problems with the movie itself........ again, i still liked it... but this was an area where they could've done a better job than what they did....

thats the one thing about MGW and BB that i dont get - as soon as they obtain the rights to a property, they are so flippin' quick to use it (maybe it's part of a legal agreement or something, so the rights dont revert back - who knows)... but they literally had just gotten Blofeld and Spectre back, and like a few months later he's being written into the next movie..
    IMO it's the best overall Bond in this Century. Some might say CR... and personally I like QOS a teensy bit better...

Yeah, that's what I'm getting from it most. I have watched it 4X already and can't wait to see it again. Just so much fun.

And for the record, I'm American. :))
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i'm sure if they could go back and redo certain things, knowing what they know now - i think they would have..

when they did CR and QOS, the rights to Spectre and Blofeld were still in the death grip of McClory (or his estate, cant remember when he died)... so in CR we get the setup to this evil shadowy organization... then in QOS we start learning a little bit more... for me, where the first misstep occurred is when they decided to name the organization 'Quantum' - they didn't have to directly name the organization in the film... it's like it was forced in as some half assed connection to the title of the movie - which, even in that context, makes absolutely no sense... Greene could've easily have said "I told you everything there is to know about our organization." .. and i believe there is a bit at the opera scene when one of the guys over the mic says "is this really the best use of Quantum's time?" - again, changing Quantum to "our", and then that bit at the end with Greene could've saved a world of confusion and headaches later (since they were actively pursuing those Blofeld rights)..

but, be that as it may - it isn't until after SF comes out that EON acquire the rights to Blofeld.... but instead of taking time to properly ease them both back into the fold - perhaps using a 1 film buffer, and then saving the reveal and confrontation for Bond 25 - they try to cram it all into 1 film, retconning and all.... this is where they really shot themselves in the foot, thus being their second misstep... i dont mind that they didn't go Marvel on us - and have everything planned out over the course of 4 films - because Bond movies have never been that way... but as other here stated, and i agree with - all the retconning to try and make the forced connections work is one of the problems with the movie itself........ again, i still liked it... but this was an area where they could've done a better job than what they did....

thats the one thing about MGW and BB that i dont get - as soon as they obtain the rights to a property, they are so flippin' quick to use it (maybe it's part of a legal agreement or something, so the rights dont revert back - who knows)... but they literally had just gotten Blofeld and Spectre back, and like a few months later he's being written into the next movie..

I understand your misgivings but this is Hollywood. You gotta act fast sometimes. They had Dan, they were rolling along with the success of SF... why not pull the trigger on the Big Baddies from Bond's past? If they had waited and Dan bowed out after Bond 24 (whatever it would have been if not SP) and then had to cast a new Bond and had him go after Spectre, I would have felt cheated to not have it had been Craig's Bond who battled them.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I think what really stings me about SP us tgat it had so much going for it in every aspect but conceptually it was flawed and the execution of it all was even worse. It had so much potential going into the preproduction stage, financial backing, great cast and crew, Mendes returning, awesome locations but it was all wasted and pretty much forgettable. SP's a decent movie at the extreme best but there's just no sparks and fireworks with the movie. It's a passing footnote that I for one can't see getting a significant positive reappraisal.

You count that as having so much going for it!?

Joking aside though I think you're right - the reason it gets hammered so much is not because it is plain bad but that it could've been truly great but it only ends up merely decent.

And on that point I do agree with you. Well almost ..wasn't quite decent in my eyes.

There is no excuse with the talent involved to give us such an undeveloped film. My heart sank back in 2012 when Logan's involvement was announced then ripped apart when Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb were brought back to save the script.

When ya have to bring back P&W to save a script umm ....well you get the point.
    Funny last time I watched Spectre I was deliberating whether it was better than CR. For me its too early to decide, like yourself QoS I rate highly also. As great as CR is it does have a few weaknesses, right now one thing is for sure Spectre is the classiest DC bond film.
    For me CR had a certain urgency and while you knew where we were going if you had read the book they managed to keep it fresh and without any pretense.

SF/SP both have awefull scripts and while SF still makes it look good SP has no such qualities and manages to f%$#@ up all the action scenes after the PTS. Who gives crap about the biggest real time explosion ever, flipping the Aston Martin was more exciting to see. To much pretentiousness and not enough decent thriller aspects which I have to admit are galore with CR & QoB.

Anybody worth knowing me on this site knows how I dislike QoB, but SP/SF make that little movie like a masterpiece in comparison.