Sir Roger Moore's Fisticuffs

Comments

Moore's fight scenes were...on the whole...pretty bad. Of all the fight scenes in Bond, his were the ones that usually got me sniggering.
  • Well good to see that someone else knows what I'm saying about Beirut.

And I forgot, @ForYourEyesOnly, yes, that fight with Sandor really was awful... that jump-hug is probably the worst moment of TSWLM, but the fight in general is just very clunky and staged.

His fights overall are disappointing... You can't even put them down to old filmmaking given that there's none of that shoddy work in Connery's or Lazenby's day!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, Roger's way of fighting was very robotic.
    Know what Roger Moore fight I hate? Oh wait. Wrong thread.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Moore is a lover, not a fighter.

His punching technique was very poor, in comparison to DC, SC & GL.

I think his best fights were in TSWLM & TMWTGG, particularly the former, where he demonstrated more seriousness in his encounters with Sandor & Boris & Ivan (at the pyramids) and a new found high kick which lasted all of one film.

Unlike many, I don't mind his fights, because he was at least intelligent enough to inject some humour into them (Saida's changing room in TMWTGG & in the ambulance with Goodhead in MR) which made the lack of technique somewhat palatable.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    The thing I noticed about Moore's Bond more recently is that right from the get go with the snake in his room in LALD he was sort of sold as being someone who relied more on his wits and resourcefulness to get out of a scrape. You see this again in the fight against the thugs in Beirut in TMWTGG when he uses that (was it hairspray?) in the thugs eyes so he can gain the upper hand. And you see it again in the train fight with Jaws in TSWLM when he uses the lamp and electricity. Up until that moment Jaws had Bond. They knew they had to set this Bond up different than the previous two because Moore is much less of a physical threat. I thought those changes really added something though.
    josiah wrote: »
    The thing I noticed about Moore's Bond more recently is that right from the get go with the snake in his room in LALD he was sort of sold as being someone who relied more on his wits and resourcefulness to get out of a scrape. You see this again in the fight against the thugs in Beirut in TMWTGG when he uses that (was it hairspray?) in the thugs eyes so he can gain the upper hand. And you see it again in the train fight with Jaws in TSWLM when he uses the lamp and electricity. Up until that moment Jaws had Bond. They knew they had to set this Bond up different than the previous two because Moore is much less of a physical threat. I thought those changes really added something though.

Interesting. He might be the most cerebral Bond actually.
  • The fight with Chang in MR, and the quick dispatching of the goons in Octopussy's mansion come to mind.
    Yes, I saw MR the other day and Chang fight is a pretty good one imho. Perhaps my impression is biased because of all the screaming, which makes it feel more intense, but nevertheless, it's good, especially because Moore takes it to him rather than being defensive, which he normally is otherwise.
  • I love Chang he cracks me up
  • I can't believe I'm going to do this, but at least Moore has the car-kicking scene in FYEO. I always thought that was a nice moment.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, I saw MR the other day and Chang fight is a pretty good one imho. Perhaps my impression is biased because of all the screaming, which makes it feel more intense, but nevertheless, it's good, especially because Moore takes it to him rather than being defensive, which he normally is otherwise.

Really? He's normally defensive when he's protecting someone else. Against Sandor in TSWLM, Roger went fully on the offence, and he tries doing this against most thugs as well.
  • I just wonder how much more of an intimidating villain Jaws could have been had they decided to play him straight and not have him be a foil for 'ol Rog at times.
    bondjames wrote: »

Really? He's normally defensive when he's protecting someone else. Against Sandor in TSWLM, Roger went fully on the offence, and he tries doing this against most thugs as well.
    Yes, that's true, he was offensive against Sandor. In TSWLM & MR he was particularly so. It's just that he's seen chasing Chang without any accessory in MR, and I found that unusual for Moore (with Sandor he had his PPK with him initially).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Don't forget in LALD when he cut the wires in TeeHees metal arm. Roger didn't start this trend of fighting smarter rather than harder (that would be Sean electrocuting Odd Job) but he was definitely the peak. I always liked it moore than just brutally beating people into submission.
  • There's smart fighting and then there's not fighting well.
  • GBFGBF
    Sark wrote: »
    Don't forget in LALD when he cut the wires in TeeHees metal arm. Roger didn't start this trend of fighting smarter rather than harder (that would be Sean electrocuting Odd Job) but he was definitely the peak. I always liked it moore than just brutally beating people into submission.

Agree on that completely. That's why I really like these old fights more than the newer ones. Bond also wins the fight in FRWL because of his gadget. Some of the DG fights and chases are however only about who is stronger and/or faster. It's not a bad thing but I liked the smart fighting more, especially if it had some humour in it and did not take itself too seriously. Therefore I also liked the ending of the fight between Bond and Mr Hinx in Spectre since Bond "kills?" him by being smart instead of just strong.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    GBF wrote: »

Agree on that completely. That's why I really like these old fights more than the newer ones. Bond also wins the fight in FRWL because of his gadget. Some of the DG fights and chases are however only about who is stronger and/or faster. It's not a bad thing but I liked the smart fighting more, especially if it had some humour in it and did not take itself too seriously. Therefore I also liked the ending of the fight between Bond and Mr Hinx in Spectre since Bond "kills?" him by being smart instead of just strong.

Absolutely. The best Bond fights are where he is up against a man mountain who has him on the ropes and it is Bond's wits rather than brute force that saves him. Thats why the Hinx fight is right up there - because its the first time we've seen Craig's Bond down and out.

That said I do still love Bond v Che Che, Bond v Franks, Bond v Obanno and Bond v Slate which are just out and out slugfests.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,189
    GBF wrote: »

Absolutely. The best Bond fights are where he is up against a man mountain who has him on the ropes and it is Bond's wits rather than brute force that saves him. Thats why the Hinx fight is right up there - because its the first time we've seen Craig's Bond down and out.

I remember the audience I was with on the first viewing clapped after that fight sequence. So far, its the scene I've watched the most on my Blu Ray copy. Brilliant.

Truthfully, it makes a lot of Roger's fights look VERY poor in comparison.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Watched LALD at the weekend - the fight v TeeHee was pretty decent. Loved the way he disposed of him, every bit as callous as kicking the car over the cliff in FYEO.
  • Bond v CheChe might be the best Bond fight. Just brutal.
    I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like Bond vs Tee-Hee in LALD. The ladder sequence was nice and the pun that followed was as well, but for some reason the actors just couldn't sell the tension that could've been there - not saying it had no tension, but there could've been a lot more.
  • There was little tension in the fight really... Probably in part due to the fact that it occurred after the climax. Although the henchman comes back to have a last go at Bond in the whole OHMSS, DAF, LALD and TMWTGG string of films.

It wasn't a very good fight either...
    I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like Bond vs Tee-Hee in LALD. The ladder sequence was nice and the pun that followed was as well, but for some reason the actors just couldn't sell the tension that could've been there - not saying it had no tension, but there could've been a lot more.

I liked the fight itself, but I get the impression Kananga's death in the film is somewhat rushed to get to it. Kananga blows up and 30 seconds later they are shown getting on the train.
    The thing I noticed about Moore's Bond more recently is that right from the get go with the snake in his room in LALD he was sort of sold as being someone who relied more on his wits and resourcefulness to get out of a scrape. You see this again in the fight against the thugs in Beirut in TMWTGG when he uses that (was it hairspray?) in the thugs eyes so he can gain the upper hand. And you see it again in the train fight with Jaws in TSWLM when he uses the lamp and electricity. Up until that moment Jaws had Bond dead to rights. They knew they had to set this Bond up different than the previous two because Moore is much less of a physical threat. I thought those changes really added something though.
    The thing I noticed about Moore's Bond more recently is that right from the get go with the snake in his room in LALD he was sort of sold as being someone who relied more on his wits and resourcefulness to get out of a scrape. You see this again in the fight against the thugs in Beirut in TMWTGG when he uses that (was it hairspray?) in the thugs eyes so he can gain the upper hand. And you see it again in the train fight with Jaws in TSWLM when he uses the lamp and electricity. Up until that moment Jaws had Bond dead to rights. They knew they had to set this Bond up different than the previous two because Moore is much less of a physical threat. I thought those changes really added something though.

G
    Yes! Thank you! No Roger definitely wasn't the only one to use his wits. The scene with Brosnan & Dr. Kaufman in TND is another one where Bond uses his brains to turn the tables.
  • They were clever about getting around his lacking in fighting ability, that's for sure.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Oops. Wrong thread.

Even the Wizard is fallible it seems!
    Personally,re the AVTAK fights,i like Stacey's mansion fight,as it has a fantastic score by John Barry,as does the Golden Gate Bridge fight with Zorin.

The warehouse one is not good at all though,but you forgive them as its Roger and Patrick.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 6,682
    I think the mansion fight is decent but the attackers don't look intimidating enough. Also, they come across as a bit clumsy, though that is concealed a bit with everybody moving around so much. The business with the vase seems like a gimmick to make up for the lack of intensity of the fight. On the plus side, there are a couple of nice moves (Bond throws a good punch at one of them) and I like how they use the chain. The sound design adds a lot to the scene, especially with the sound of the wooden floor. The score is terrific. I think the earlier part of the scene, with the shotgun, is much better, though.

---

The Octopussy fight with the three thugs has really grown on me. Easy to follow and exciting. Must be one of Roger Moore's best.
    Roger shows some good aggression in the fight with Kamal's thugs. I'd be annoyed too if I were laying next to Maud and suddenly the moment gets spoiled by a descending yo-yo buzz saw.