Sir Roger Moore's Fisticuffs

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Which Bond film do you think Sir Rog stood out in the fisticuffs department ?

Personally i think it's TSWLM when he took on Anya Amasova's Russian agents in the Pyramids and gave them a right pasting.
Honourable mention to TMWTGG though with the Beirut thugs.

What do you think overall of Sir Roger's punching power ?

Comments

As much as I love Sir Rog, I always thought he came off a bit little bit weak in fights. Take the scene when he's fighting the huge henchman in TSWLM or the warehouse fight between a group of old pensioners in AVTAK.

Moore was certainly suarve, cool and likeable but he just didn't have the physicality that ALL the others had. He couldn't run, jump and throw himself around in quite the same manner.

That said, his charms made up for that.
    I think someone made a point he was given better fight scenes in The Saint than in Bond. Personally I didn't mind them, I thought his best was with Tee Hee in LALD. Plus I like his little 'owww' sound he would make when receiving a jab to the ribs or being thrown across a room.
    blockquote>Quoting Runaway: I think someone made a point he was given better fight scenes in The Saint than
    in Bond
    That was me ...
    Well you are correct sir!
    haha ta very much.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think maybe Moore's best is the fight in Stacey's house in A View To A Kill, so different but I love it - even though Moore should have been long gone by this time.
    Quoting Samuel001: I think maybe Moore's best is the fight in Stacey's house in A View To A
    Kill
    It wasn't "Moore's best", it was his stuntman's ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    @BAIN123 Ha, so true! Yet another reason he shouldn't have been around.
    LALD: the fight with Tee Hee on the train
    TMWTGG: the fight in Saida's dressing room
    TSWLM: the fight at the pyramids with Ivan and Boris, or the fight with Sandor
    MR: the fight with Chang
    FYEO: the fight with Kriegler
    OP: the fight with Gobinda on the top of the train
    AVTAK: fight with Max Zorin on the Golden Gate Bridge
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Which fight scenes actually had Moore fighting and not his double? Then I'll choose.
    Which fight scenes actually had Moore fighting and not his double? Then I'll choose.

TMWTGG in Saida's dressing room and the fight with Tee Hee in LALD. As far as I remember, neither of those had Moore's stunt-man. His later ones like OP and AVTAK did, and maybe FYEO, but his earlier ones were him I'm pretty sure.
    The Train Scene in LALD is the only Moore era fist Fight that comes to mind
    Moore fought less and less as he grew older in his later films his fisticuffs were to the minimum. Credibility I suppose.
    I rank his fight with Tee Hee on the train in LALD as his best. the violence, the ingenuity of Moore was tip top.
    2nd I would rate the fight at the Pyramids with the KGB thugs.
  • If you watch his fights in Gold he can scrap well when he wants but chose to make Bond look a clod
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    barryt007 wrote:
    Which Bond film do you think Sir Rog stood out in the fisticuffs department ?

Personally i think it's TSWLM when he took on Anya Amasova's Russian agents in the Pyramids and gave them a right pasting.
    Honourable mention to TMWTGG though with the Beirut thugs.

What do you think overall of Sir Roger's punching power ?
    The scene at the valley of the kings one of moores best moments as bond for sure. i remember reading a quote from lee marvin that he said that roger punched him in the face, and said moore was tough. or something to that effect. will try and find the quote... was during the filming of shout at the devil, directed by peter hunt.
  • I think the quote you're referring to was from Moore's book- Marvin said Moore was 'built like granite'
    I think the quote you're referring to was from Moore's book- Marvin said Moore was 'built like granite'

That's the one mate, cheers.
  • Any of the TSWLM figths against jaws, the fight against tee-hee on the train, and the fight with the bald guy on the roof in egypt.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I love the fight on top of the building with the fat guy in TSWLM... The sound made when Moore pounds on his arse is priceless.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    My favourite moment is probably when he smashes a guys face into a fishtank in OP. The snap of the arm behind the back and then the crash of face meeting glass is wonderful!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have have never been convinced by him that he could put up any resistance in a fight, even against a wet paper bag. It doesn't help that he moved like the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz.
    I think he get's a rough deal on this subject, I can spot Bob Simmons a mile off in a lot of Connerys fight scenes and also the same with Craig and his stunt man, Moore did plenty only in the last couple did it become more apparent.
    My favourite moment is probably when he smashes a guys face into a fishtank in OP. The snap of the arm behind the back and then the crash of face meeting glass is wonderful!

Yeah, I love that part! One similar to this in brutality is in TMWTGG when Bond rams that thug's head into the wall three times. That's some brutality from Roger Moore right there!
  • How did I miss this?

Only one or two moments of Moore fighting it out seems credible, I would have to include the Beirut 'I've lost my charm' room bit, and even that is pushing it, struggling with anything else, the Tee hee train fight was OK, but seems strange in hindsight that Tee Hee should of taken care of Moore in seconds and Moore still came out on top, the A View To A Kill 'fight' at the Sutton mansion was indeed embarrassing, more so for Moore himself, it was more cringeworthy humor than actual combat. Somebody mentioned the Octopussy bit with the three intruders, Yes that was some fine Moore fighting but was all over a bit too soon, don't remember much fighting in Moonraker apart from the Chang bit in Venice and Drax spacestation and that wasn't up to much, I suppose you could classify Moore as the Frank Bruno of Bond pugilists, i.e Craig could be Tyson and Dalton, Henry Cooper, they should all have rounds together
    My favourite fight scene with Sir Roger Moore was his fight scene with Sandor in TSWLM.
    Roger's style of fighting certainly weakened towards the end of his era, but his early fights were particularly brutal and hard-edged, especially those from LALD, TMWTGG, and TSWLM. In MR, it weakens a bit, but the tussels with Chang and the random paramedic thug in the ambulence are pretty great. In FYEO, though he wasn't given much of a chance to show his strength, I did really love the battle with Columbo and 007 against Kreigler and his thugs at the monestary. That was a highlight of Roger's skills! Sadly, with OP and AVTAK, his fights were pretty lame, except for the one in Octopussy's palace with the Mufti thugs; that one has some style from Roger!
    The fight against a band of thugs in TMWTGG with honorable mention going to his rooftop fight with Sandor in TSWLM.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The strength of Roger's action scenes was in the chase scenes, not the fight scenes, because in those, he'd have incredible stuntman doubling as him to perform some of the most outrageous stunts in film.

He did have a nice fight scene in TSWLM when he beat up Anya's agents at the pyramid, although I think that was actually Bob Simmons for the whole fight. I also liked the fight scene in OP where Bond and Octopussy beat up Kamal's thugs. The fight with the thugs in TMWTGG is also quite brutal (for Moore).

The one against Sandor is unintentionally hilarious, particularly when Bond jump-hugs Sandor and then tries to choke him, and also when Bond literally kicks Sandor's ass. The ending with the tie-slap was very good, though.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Guys! You've forgotten why all the Roger Moore fights are CLASSIC!

Roger Moore: OoooooWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHHH!

Sound familiar?

Seriously though, his best and most thrilling fight was probably the yoyo fight in OP. Really exciting and more convincing than the others. The fight with Chang is an underappreciated part of MR.

Hower, his fights against Kananga, Jaws, and the thugs in AVTAK were unconvincing.

Against popular opinion, I don't find that fight against the Beirut thugs to be much good either.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Guys! You've forgotten why all the Roger Moore fights are CLASSIC!

Roger Moore: OoooooWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHHH!

Sound familiar?

Seriously though, his best and most thrilling fight was probably the yoyo fight in OP. Really exciting and more convincing than the others. The fight with Chang is an underappreciated part of MR.

Hower, his fights against Kananga, Jaws, and the thugs in AVTAK were unconvincing.

Against popular opinion, I don't find that fight against the Beirut thugs to be much good either.

That noise is more when he nearly gets the Transamerica Pyramid in the nads isn't it?

Agree with your points on the OP and Chang fight though - probably his best and certainly most entertaining and inventive.

The rest are very stagey and choreographed and the warehouse fight in AVTAK is just excruciating.

Everyone goes on about the Beruit one as if it's something special but there are a few awful moments in that like where the goon looks away as he's about to hit Bond with the chair so he doesn't notice he's about to hit his own man.