Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

I assumed Quantum was a division of Spectre - a tentacle, so to speak. It could have still been mostly indepedent; maybe as simple as funded by Spectre? Who knows.
    Quantum was a tentacle of Spectre, a very obvious theme in the movie.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I assumed Quantum was a division of Spectre - a tentacle, so to speak. It could have still been mostly indepedent; maybe as simple as funded by Spectre? Who knows.

Here's an interesting notion. The Quantum logo could easily pass for an octopus with one tentacle. Put some more tentacles on the little Quantum lapel badge and hey presto you've got the SPECTRE logo.

Perhaps this retconning stuff is not quite as bad as we thought?
  • RC7RC7

Here's an interesting notion. The Quantum logo could easily pass for an octopus with one tentacle. Put some more tentacles on the little Quantum lapel badge and hey presto you've got the SPECTRE logo.

I also like the fact Greene was found with two bullets in the back of his head and Hinx has a double-barrel pistol.
    RC7 wrote: »

I also like the fact Greene was found with two bullets in the back of his head and Hinx has a double-barrel pistol.

It makes so much sense - they should have had a line about Quantum being a tentacle of Spectre.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Brilliant, sir!

I am sure it is completely involuntary but.... Oh that would be great if it was Hinz who killed Greene. Although then Greene would have had no head left.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    But not until the Rome meeting had Hinx had any connections with SPECTRE. That meeting was his first real brush with the organization from what we know from some logical analysis.

EON could've connected SP with the past three in a lot of cool ways, but they decided instead to spend a minute (literally) showing us that Quantum was somehow involved with SPECTRE and that was the end of that. I'm not a fan of how it was done, but it's too late to do anything about it now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I killed Greene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I killed Greene.

So what you're saying is that the grass is much redder on your side?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I killed Greene.

So that's why they call you Thunderfinger. You squeeze the trigger and the sound of thunder erupts.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I made him OD on grass. It was cannabis oil that MI6 found in him, not Castor.

The mods here have spun it the wrong way.
    But not until the Rome meeting had Hinx had any connections with SPECTRE. That meeting was his first real brush with the organization from what we know from some logical analysis.

EON could've connected SP with the past three in a lot of cool ways, but they decided instead to spend a minute (literally) showing us that Quantum was somehow involved with SPECTRE and that was the end of that. I'm not a fan of how it was done, but it's too late to do anything about it now.

What makes you think that? He postulated and won a specific position in the organization but it might have been a promotion, not a hiring. In fact that he was in such meeting seems to indicate that he was at least trustable enough not to be a mere newcomer. I'd say Hinx must have done some contracts for them either as a freelance or a recruit.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ludovico wrote: »

What makes you think that? He postulated and won a specific position in the organization but it might have been a promotion, not a hiring. In fact that he was in such meeting seems to indicate that he was at least trustable enough not to be a mere newcomer. I'd say Hinx must have done some contracts for them either as a freelance or a recruit.

This was my take, too. Also, it seems that his appearance was encouraged by Blofeld. What I have not been able to figure out, though, is why Hinx tried to kill Bond and Madeleine on the train when Blofeld wanted them at the crater lair. My guess is that Hinx's job was to kill Madeleine. Period. This may explain Blofeld's sarcastic line, "I'm glad you could join us, too, dear Madeleine." On the other hand, Blofeld had her room set up as though he couldn't wait to get into her head, too.

Oh what a mess SP is in some spots.
    It seemed to me going by the body language of everyone in the meeting that Hinx was not an affiliate of the organization in any capacity and his presence was not wanted.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    It seemed to me going by the body language of everyone in the meeting that Hinx was not an affiliate of the organization in any capacity and his presence was not wanted.

So what? He just used a nicked ring and used the Mickey Mouse line to get in like Bond?

If he just walks in out of the blue and starts killing people from nowhere Blofeld would scarper just like the moment it kicks off with Bond so Blofeld at least is aware Hinx is outside.

But it's far from clear. Is Hinx sanctioned by Blofeld to come in and kill Senor whatever his name is? Has Senor thingy been on the rob and this is a standard SPECTRE execution? Seems a bit harsh if Hinx just kills a loyal SPECTRE member to show he can do the job.

It's sloppily written - but this is SP remember. Which scenes aren't?

That's a bit thin. I didn't read this from body language and I doubt one can read that much from everyone present (that Hinx did not ever work for SPECTRE and was an intruder). If his presence was not wanted Blofeld would have had him executed on the spot. Because at least Blofeld showed neither surprise nor concern when Hinx showed up.

@TheWizardofIce- It's obvious Hinx action was at least sanctioned: he was allowed to carry on. As for the reason why I think we've had here a Kronsteen moment: a member bragging too much and suffering from hubris. In a normal company meeting he would have just gotten his candidacy turned down. But this is not an uber criminal organization we're talking about. And Hinx is not exactly a subtle man.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Quantum of Solace >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SPECTRE
    @Ludovico, I think it's also a "bit thin" to create an entire unfounded mythology for a character EON didn't even have in mind over half a decade ago when QoS was made, but that's just me.

I wouldn't call the man that Hinx kills arrogant, either. He says he can do the job, but he's not shouting about it with passion or really lathering on his confidence. It's more like he's going to a job interview than anything.

I also don't agree that Blofeld would've had Hinx killed if he was an intruder. He didn't know how things were going to play when Hinx stepped in, but liked the way in which the man took command and made things interesting. He was ruthless, he was capable and proved his villainy when he used those eye scrappers to dispatch his agent. He was a clear choice for eliminating anyone, especially frail old Mr. White. At that point, he was in with SPECTRE, but not before, in my view.

All of this would make for great fodder for a commentary track, wouldn't it? :-\"

I also don't agree that Blofeld would've had Hinx killed if he was an intruder. He didn't know how things were going to play whe Hinx stepped in, but liked the way in which the man took command and made things interesting. He was ruthless, he was capable and proved his villainy when he used those eye scrappers to dispatch his agent. He was a clear choice for eliminating anyone, especially frail old Mr. White. At that point, he was in with SPECTRE, but not before, in my view.

All of this would make for great fodder for a commentary track, wouldn't it? :-\"

Blofeld's not Simon Cowell. I find the notion that SPECTRE hold open auditions where you can just walk in off the street the thinnest hypothesis yet.

It's inconceivable to me that Blofeld is not aware of Hinx's presence before he comes in. It strikes me that Blofeld has already tapped Hinx up to take over and for whatever reason and the gobby bloke deserves to be executed for some breach of protocol so he lets Hinx make his entrance in such a way pour encourager les autres to toe the corporate line.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,554
    @Ludovico, I think it's also a "bit thin" to create an entire unfounded mythology for a character EON didn't even have in mind over half a decade ago when QoS was made, but that's just me.

I wouldn't call the man that Hinx kills arrogant, either. He says he can do the job, but he's not shouting about it with passion or really lathering on his confidence. It's more like he's going to a job interview than anything.

I also don't agree that Blofeld would've had Hinx killed if he was an intruder. He didn't know how things were going to play when Hinx stepped in, but liked the way in which the man took command and made things interesting. He was ruthless, he was capable and proved his villainy when he used those eye scrappers to dispatch his agent. He was a clear choice for eliminating anyone, especially frail old Mr. White. At that point, he was in with SPECTRE, but not before, in my view.

It's certainly ambiguous. But...

I just re-watched the scene. After Guerra offers his services, Blofeld calls over one of his men and whispers instructions. Then, Moreau is waved over--he looks baffled by this sudden development. Again, Blofeld whispers something (more instructions). At that point, Moreau asks if anyone wants to challenge Guerra for the position. And then, here comes Hinx. Moreau's bafflement suggests to me that this "challenge" was a change in procedure.

This is why I believe Hinx was handpicked by Blofeld and his appearance at the meeting (and subsequent challenge to Guerra) was coordinated. What's unclear is the extent to which Hinx had been employed by Spectre previously. I have assumed he was a low-level hitman, maybe a contracted one, and that Blofeld liked his work.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 201
    I will always defend QOS. Sure, the script is hardly thrill-a-minute (the big plan is the global domination of...H20! Really?) and the plane sequence is dull, but...the fight scenes, the opening car chase, thhat great David Arnold score and Daniel Craig just oozes class. Oh, and the opera scene. Most single most favourite moment in all of Bond. Love it.

I also don't agree that Blofeld would've had Hinx killed if he was an intruder. He didn't know how things were going to play whe Hinx stepped in, but liked the way in which the man took command and made things interesting. He was ruthless, he was capable and proved his villainy when he used those eye scrappers to dispatch his agent. He was a clear choice for eliminating anyone, especially frail old Mr. White. At that point, he was in with SPECTRE, but not before, in my view.

Blofeld's not Simon Cowell. I find the notion that SPECTRE hold open auditions where you can just walk in off the street the thinnest hypothesis yet.

It's inconceivable to me that Blofeld is not aware of Hinx's presence before he comes in. It strikes me that Blofeld has already tapped Hinx up to take over and for whatever reason and the gobby bloke deserves to be executed for some breach of protocol so he lets Hinx make his entrance in such a way pour encourager les autres to toe the corporate line.

Well of course, come on now. Obviously it's not a common occurrence. Thinking otherwise is just daft to be frank.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm surprised this has garnered as much discussion as it has, if I'm honest. Hinx, like everyone else at the meeting, was a Spectre operative (this isn't some music gig where Blofeld demands an audience) who simply steps forward when the opportunity arises - his credentials being that he's a ruthless mother f*****. Blofeld likes what he sees. That's it. Simple.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Well, when the character's mute 99.9% of the time, a lot of discussion about who and what they are is quite natural.

And if I am remembering the scene correctly, Hinx pulls the ring off the dead man's finger and puts it on his own. If he was already affiliated with SPECTRE to such a level that he knew about the Rome meeting and was let inside without issue, why didn't he already have a ring of his own?
  • RC7RC7
    Well, when the character's mute 99.9% of the time, a lot of discussion about who and what they are is quite natural.

I absolutely understand a lot of the negativity surrounding SP, I really do, but if we're now into the territory of nitpicking about one the best scenes in the film (and series for me) I feel like we're approaching peak pedantry. It's perfectly directed and the fact there is no dialogue only enhances its impact. It's not a difficult scene to grasp IMO.

I absolutely understand a lot of the negativity surrounding SP, I really do, but if we're now into the territory of nitpicking about one the best scenes in the film (and series for me) I feel like we're approaching peak pedantry. It's perfectly directed and the fact there is no dialogue only enhances its impact. It's not a difficult scene to grasp IMO.

A few things....

1) I love SP and have never been an uber-negative party about it.

2) I'm not nitpicking, I'm trying to engage in an analysis of a scene that genuinely interests me with others.

3) I wasn't reprimanding the choice to make Hinx mute. I think it works for him more than it doesn't. All I was saying is that objectively it makes the scene a bit more puzzling to read. That's not a criticism on the creative decision and execution.

4) I think the scene has many layers, and as I've said, I don't know if we should automatically presume that Hinx was already a SPECTRE agent if he had to take the man's ring to use as his own during the Rome meeting.

If my text came off as the opposite of any of this, it wasn't my intention.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 14,888

Well, I am not create an entire mythology for Hinx and obviously I am doing a bit of retcon when I said I liked the hypothesis that he killed Dominic Greene. That said, it is obvious to me that at least Blofeld knew of (and approved of) Hinx's presence. Regarding the man he kills in SP, I would need to watch the scene again but I do remember some veiled criticism towards the other members and something akin to bragging (not so much about his skills than about his loyalty and discipline).

And by the way, mythologies are developed exactly like this: by adding elements and extrapolating on a sometimes very thin basis.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think you guys are overanalyzing this film (SP I mean). I don't think it's all that complicated really. They had an unfinished script and just filmed it. So it can be interpreted any way one wants. I don't think they really thought this through, although thematically there appears to be more heft to the concept (Dead are alive etc., mouse etc.)
    Lucia's near-execution probably would have been two bullets in the head from two different guns. Could have been similar with Greene. But I always felt that Mr. White took care of him, much as he took care of LeChiffre