Best/Worst Bond Score

1235»

Comments

• eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Best: TB (although OHMSS is a close 2nd)
    Worst: GE. Boring answer, I know, what can I say. I'm in the majority camp.

As for rankings/classifications, I'd go:

Gold standard:
    TB
    OHMSS
    CR
    TLD
    LALD
    YOLT

Very good:
    FRWL
    GF
    TND
    TMWTGG
    DAF

Decent:
    AVTAK
    OP
    LTK
    SK
    SP
    QOS
    SF

Not a big fan:
    DAD
    FYO (there are a couple of cues I like. Not a bad score, just one that doesn't grab me that much)
    DN (as music per say, it's actually good. As a Bond score, it's iffy)
    TWINE (similar to TND, but somehow a lot more generic)
    TSWLM (sure, it has some charm, but overall it's just not for me)

No thanks:
    GE
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This possibly belongs in the James Bond Questions thread but I thought here was a better place to ask something that just struck me watching FRWL:

I think we'd mostly agree that Bond theme apart, the score for DN isnt that great. In FRWL the score is by John Barry and its pretty good throughout right?

So why on earth at the end during the boat chase do they use that god awful track from DN that sounds like its from a 50's B movie?

You surely cant be telling me that John Barry couldnt knock out a better piece of music than this in his lunch break?

The only logical conclusion I can draw is that initially they decided they didnt want any music with that scene, Barry scored the film and went off on holiday or something and then at the 11th hour someone decided that the scene really needed some music so they just did a quick copy and paste. Given the acrimony between Barry and Norman I can t envisage why John would use a (poor) track from the previous soundtrack of his own volition.

Maybe it was a decision by Cubby & Harry to have some sort of continuity?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 489
    Worse- NSNA and GE

Best- OHMSS, TLD, TB and YOLT
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This possibly belongs in the James Bond Questions thread but I thought here was a better place to ask something that just struck me watching FRWL:

I think we'd mostly agree that Bond theme apart, the score for DN isnt that great. In FRWL the score is by John Barry and its pretty good throughout right?

So why on earth at the end during the boat chase do they use that god awful track from DN that sounds like its from a 50's B movie?

You surely cant be telling me that John Barry couldnt knock out a better piece of music than this in his lunch break?

The only logical conclusion I can draw is that initially they decided they didnt want any music with that scene, Barry scored the film and went off on holiday or something and then at the 11th hour someone decided that the scene really needed some music so they just did a quick copy and paste. Given the acrimony between Barry and Norman I can t envisage why John would use a (poor) track from the previous soundtrack of his own volition.

Maybe it was a decision by Cubby & Harry to have some sort of continuity?

I'd probably leave it up to time constraints. If you recall, there are a couple versions of Thunderball in distribution where the last scene has 2 different versions. The ultimate/blu-ray version has the unfinished score using the DN Bond theme where as the VHS/Special edition have the completed score with a heavier Bombastic version of the Bond theme. That was of course because John Barry didn't have enough time to finish the score before the film's competition but had most of the score complete. So I'd probably the same reasons applied to FRWL's boat finale.

Finished Soundtrack Version - http://picosong.com/hCme/
    Original Unfinished / Blu-Ray version. http://picosong.com/hCmL/
  • GE good film, score too low key for me, or rather there is way too much of the low key.