Best/Worst Bond Score

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) That I can understand, but I'm a bit OCD about Bond, have to have them all
    even the terrible CR67. both it and NSNA, are never watched but I need to have them. :))
    Never Say Never Again score:

Goldeneye score:

Goldeneye still wins for me. NSNA's score sounds like songs you'd hear on a cheap package holiday video.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    All this talk of NSNA - it was never official, so never considered this as an option. But yeah - it's the worst score (probably by some margin).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It's funny. I was wondering what was the weakest Bond score to my ears and couldn't pin down on that. I was thinking it had to be one of the David Arnold scores, as they're the scores I revisit the least. Then I saw someone mentioned Monty Norman's score for DN, and yeah, that's easily the worst. So bad, that it didn't even enter into the equation for me because that's how much of a nonentity it is. I always think of FRWL being the first real score, or at least first proper one. Monty Norman may have provided the basis for the Bond theme, but John Barry is the one who gave it longevity.

As for best score. It has to be somewhere between YOLT and OHMSS. Those really feel like Barry was at the top of his game as far as Bond goes.
    DN without shadow of a doubt, sounds like it should be in an Andy Hardy Goes to Jamaica film or something.
    I like a detail in a commentary for DN where Terence Young remarks about his frustration with Monty Norman. Norman proposed that "Underneath the Mango Tree" should serve as the theme for the James Bond films (which is why it appears so much), and Young said something like "that's stupid, there won't be any mango trees in other Bond films".
    One can only imagine if the Dr. No theme from the Norman soundtrack accompanied Wiseman's entrance. Would've killed the picture stone dead.

I'm always perplexed by the re-emergence of the Norman score for the helicopter sequence from FRWL.
    I'm guessing Barry didn't have the time to properly score those sequences. It did have a troubled production, so I'm thinking that was just a part of it. Arguably, those cues were the "best" of what Norman delivered.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    This is tough.

Best for me might be The Living Daylights or On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It'd be nice if people mentioned specific tracks that were catalysts for their rulings on what were the best and worst scores.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    For those that havent seen SP yet I'll hide this
    Simply awful score. Before the film I thought Sam Smith's song was mediocre but it turns out to be the highlight. I dont know if it was Mendes directing him or just laziness by Newman but the score is just a complete copy/paste of SF. I can understand the little musical character motifs and I didnt have a problem with those but in the action sequences we just get identical tracks pilfered wholesale from SF without one memorable action cue.

Where was the stunning doom laden OHMSS rendition from the trailer? At the finale chasing Blofeld down the Thames I kept waiting for this to kick in but it never did.

Extremely poor. This guy has had his chance (I actually thought his score for SF wasnt bad) but Arnold has to come back after this.
  • @TheWizardOfIce

Of course the terrific setting of the theme from OHMSS from the Spectre trailer was never going to feature in Newman's score for the film. Trailers are nowadays usually scored by specialized composers - not by film score composers, whose work often begins after the trailers been released.

But I agree with you that it's a shame that the OHMSS theme - and Barry's killer action cues in general - are not re-used by his successors. What a joy it would be to hear his '007' theme again. Or his thrilling action theme for A View to a Kill. They would really spice up the score - especially Newman's, whose action material for Skyfall I find plain bland and generic and workmanlike.
  • It'd be nice if people mentioned specific tracks that were catalysts for their rulings on what were the best and worst scores.

Good point.

As for my favourite score, Diamonds Are Forever:

1. The title song: one of the best in the series, and Shirley Bassey belts out Don Black's deliciously filthy lyrics with great gusto.

2. The two instrumental lounge settings of the title song and the theme for Tiffany Case: Barry in his smoothest lounge-mode.

3. The big band and show tunes which spice up Barry's score mostly as as source music, such as 'Circus Circus', 'Q's Trick', the airport source music (my favourite), and the unused material in the 'Additional and Alternate Cues' on the 2003-CD.

4. The reprise of the 'Capsule in Space' theme from YOLT in '007 and Counting'

5. The overblown choral material for Bond's near-incineration at 'Slumber, Inc'

@TheWizardOfIce

Of course the terrific setting of the theme from OHMSS from the Spectre trailer was never going to feature in Newman's score for the film. Trailers are nowadays usually scored by specialized composers - not by film score composers, whose work often begins after the trailers been released.

Well why cant we get that guy to score the film FFS?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @TheWizardOfIce

Well why cant we get that guy to score the film FFS?

There are several composers who can do a superb job on B25. We've mentioned a few on the music in SPECTRE thread.

I agree that Newman probably isn't the best for this sort of work (although I actually like some of the cues I've heard on SP.....I've not seen the film yet). If one looks for Barry type sounds, Newman will always disappoint. It's just not what he does.

I disagree on bringing Arnold back though. I think he's had his 6.....or was that 5.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Feeling lucky, eh ? ;)
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,025
    I hope Newman returns, just to upset you cranks. ;)
  • Somehow I don't think so. Alliance to Mendes - and vice versa . But he is not for Bond - and if he put his hand on his heart he would admit that he is not comfortable with action movies. And I am a fan of Newman - have several of his cores - had my Scent of a Woman cd for 20 odd years - and it is brilliant - it flows with the film, it adds to it. His Spectre score, for me, doesn't. Hope I'm not being too cranky!

Newbie - but favourite score "Diamonds are Forever" Least favourite - sorry Spectre
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2015 Posts: 16,331
    I love Newman's work for Wall-E that's my favorite Newman score. This piece of music is so wonderful.

Sadly he's just not suited for Bond and his style doesn't mesh well with Bond.
    I thought his score was well suited to SF. Doesn't need to ape Barry to be a "proper" Bond score, just needs to suit the story and tone. Then again, that's my opinion.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 16,331
    No he doesn't need to ape Barry. It just needs to be more memorable on all fronts. Martin Conti and Kamen didn't ape Barry yet they have very memorable scores.
    Newman's is memorable, unless you mean memorable as in "hummable"
    I thought his score was well suited to SF. Doesn't need to ape Barry to be a "proper" Bond score, just needs to suit the story and tone. Then again, that's my opinion.

I agree. His score for SF wasnt too bad. But that doesnt mean I liked it so much I want to hear it again for SP. Its not that its bad per se (much better than GE say) its just the lazy repetition thats pissing me off.
    Newman's is memorable, unless you mean memorable as in "hummable"

Different strokes. Nothing about his work for Bond is memorable to me. It should be hummable. A hummable Bond score is a perfect Bond score.
    As I've said before, I don't have a problem with people criticizing Newman for SF/SP. His scores do lack that hummability and melody that Barry brought so effortlessly.

However, when the same folks hold up Arnold as the replacement, then I'm puzzled. His action scores were not melodic to my ears, save for a few exceptions. Nobody has created more unmemorable scores imho than Arnold for DAD/TWINE. Not even Newman or Serra (no one can accuse Serra of not being memorable).

I think we all agree, someone new is required for B25 onwards. There are several great contenders out there and EON should really get its act together on this front. It's one of the few areas that they have not put right after they cleaned house for the DC era.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I really dislike NSNA never watch it, as I find the music to be really intrusive
    and annoying. Although like a Fan, I still bought it on VHS, DVD and Bluray. :))

I agree.........NSNA had a terrible music score. Michel Legrand's music for the film was totally inappropriate.......and had an adverse effect on the film.

In fact........i have read articles where the producer of NSNA had wanted to have the film re-scored, and then re-released a few years after its initial release.

What makes this story even worse.........is that it was apparently Connery who had wanted Legrand to do the music.........the producer wanted James Horner, but Legrand somehow got the job.

James Horner, would of been an excellent composer for NSNA. Horner had composed some fabulous sountracks for some of Hollywood's blockbusters........eg Aliens.

These are my top 5 Arnold tracks that are very memorable and better than anything Newman produced for the series.

I'd rather have someone new as well. Joe Kraemer, Michael Giacchino, Sean Callery have all proven themeselves worthy in my book.
  • What is a proper Bond score? Because the action cues for Act 2 and 3 of Spectre didn't sound like a "proper Bond film score" - it could have been from any action flick. Repetitive and lacking clear melody.
    The DAD OST & TWINE Caviar Factory that you posted above prove my point @Murdock. I rest my case. Saying it's awful is actually a compliment. Techno infused garbage, just imho.

QoS/CR - much better no doubt and you have posted what are easily his best tracks on those two scores and in his entire 5 film repetoire.

Again, holding Arnold up as the alternative shows a lack of imagination, as did EON by using him for those 5 films. It's time for someone new to show us how it can/should be done. We don't have to settle for this any more.
    @bondjames I think you're confusing Techno with Drum and Bass. Those tracks from DAD and TWINE feature a heavy use of drums yes but the main theme itself is all traditional orchestra. I don't mind drum and bass but nothing in those tracks was remotely techno.