Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    One thing that just occurred to me about why there is all this incessant banter about a first black Bond in the media. It could very well be because the Bond scenario is rather distinct within the Hollywood machine.

It's British first and foremost, and also has EON in charge of casting (with studio approval). This could be seen as unique and out of the mainstream. They have a history of pushing the envelope as well (from time to time). Sure, Brosnan was as expected as they come, but Connery? Lazenby? Dalton? Craig? Who in Hollywood would have recommended this? Even Affleck was a movie star before Batman.

So perhaps Hollywood and its media pick on Bond to push the envelope more than most because he's British firstly, and because of EON's track record as it were. Maybe people actually look to them for leadership due to their sort of pseudo independence within the studio system.

I don't think EON is going to be the one to do it; someone else, like, say, a Spider-man or Iron man is going to have to do it first. They have a tendency to follow and react to whatever's going on in cinema, not blaze a trail themselves.

I read an article that of course I can't find now that noted that the audience for Bond was older and more conservative than the average Marvel/Fast & furious type of movie. This is not an audience that, for the most part, is going to be open and welcoming to a change like that. Bond kind of represents the last non-PC character out there, albeit softened a little bit since the 60s. So going in a PC direction with casting is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.
    And one of the reasons I don't personally want Elba in the part is that for the entire 2 year production, a Bond film is going to be a hot button controversial issue. They might say oh its not about race, we hired the best actor for the role, but of course its going to be about race. Every article, interview, and blog piece about the new Bond movie is going to have a racial/political component to it. I just want two (and a half) hours of light entertainment :)
    Its gonna be the opposite now everywhere. Next years Oscars will shower every possible black man or woman just to.prove, they have learned their lesson. Wether or not its deserved wont be an issue. So in the end, something that might have been unfair will just switch sides. Its good though, the topic gets attention. The result I doubt. And giving a black man a white mans part proves exactly what? What would the black population say, if whites would be cast in iconic black roles?
    No amusement there, I bet. There are enough roles, where it doesnt matter.
  • Well moving on, Dan Stevens signs on to a superhero tv show. Does this mean anything? I don't know.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/legion-dan-stevens-fx-marvel-x-men-pilot-aubrey-plaza-jean-smart-1201696486/

• 1. Fassbender - well he's German/Irish and I know he could do the accent,he has the classic Bond look, acting talent, and assuming Craig steps down, I think 38 is a good age to be cast. After all Craig was around 37 I think?
    2. Hardy - one of my favourite actors at the moment, his short stature wouldn't really be that much of a problem, again, I think 38 is a good age, and he would bring a different modern look/interpretation to the character.
    3. Elba - originally I thought Bond should be white, but after binge watching Luther, I've changed my mind on this. This has nothing to do with race, or filling a diversity quota, again it's that fact that he's a really great actor, who also has the look to pull off Bond. Personally in a modern context, I would take no issue with 007 being black. Race is completely irrelevant. The only problem I see with this is that he's already 43.
  • Black Bond is mainly a product of American liberal media and the reason they target Bond is because he's arguably the most famous, successful, long lasting white character ever. As such he's always going to be in the sights of race politics. Leadership? Well that depends on one's politics. I see much of the media's talk about black bond as hijacking the franchise for political reasons and that's not leadership as far as I'm concerned, that's an agenda.

What the US media needs to consider is that black people are a relatively small proportion of the UK population. (3% according to the last census). In fact there are more Asian people in the UK than black and yet for some reason Asian Bond is rarely talked about. This means good black British candidates for Bond are always going to be heavily outnumbered by white ones. Even if race is ignored, the odds are heavily stacked against a black Bond and yet to read some media the absence of a black Bond is proof of white racism.

EON is first and foremost a business out to make money and is under no obligation whatsoever to pander to politics and it will not succumb to pressure to do so. I can understand the black Bond argument if an impressive candidate like Elba surfaces, but I'm very anti changing Bond's race to make a statement. Leave race politics and politics generally out of Bond.
    Showed the wife the night manager trailer and she seems intrigued so roll on April where I can properly judge Hiddleston as a potential 007
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    My top 3 choices would be Fassbender, Hardy or Elba

All three are way too established in terms of fame (and asking price). They're all getting leads in studio movies and are identifiable with various comic book/pop culture roles. EON has never hired anyone who is a recognizable movie star.

Not saying it will happen, but these three are my personal favorites. Any ideas on less established stars?

All three are way too established in terms of fame (and asking price). They're all getting leads in studio movies and are identifiable with various comic book/pop culture roles. EON has never hired anyone who is a recognizable movie star.

Not saying it will happen, but these three are my personal favorites. Any ideas on less established stars?

Well, some names that have been thrown around on here are Dan Stevens and Aidan Turner
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    while Ralph was very handsome he was never James Bond material.

We need someone like Pierce Brosnan in his prime

That's a very interesting perspective.

Well thank you i guess. I thought the first answer to my post would be killing me but im glad you found it interesting.

I think Bond requires a much more classic look, a little buffed but with a very classic good looking face and great sex appeal.

dinovelvet wrote: »

Well, some names that have been thrown around on here are Dan Stevens and Aidan Turner

I was just thinking, what about Charlie Hunnam?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Its gonna be the opposite now everywhere. Next years Oscars will shower every possible black man or woman just to.prove, they have learned their lesson. Wether or not its deserved wont be an issue. So in the end, something that might have been unfair will just switch sides. Its good though, the topic gets attention. The result I doubt. And giving a black man a white mans part proves exactly what? What would the black population say, if whites would be cast in iconic black roles?

Don't be so ridiculous.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Which part is so ridiculous for you? Makes a lot of sense to me actually. Time will tell how next years Oscars will turn out.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727

Don't be so ridiculous.

Not really ridiculous, if you are referring to the 'backlash'. I agree that it will probably change the way the Oscar panel votes and perhaps even who stays/gets on it.

But i think we all know that the Oscars are little more than a gala event to fuel the ego's of the big studios and their affiliates anyway, most film fans give more credence to the winners of smaller cinematic festivals, eg. Venice, Sundance, Cannes. It's there that you will see the real quality awarded with recognition.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Well moving on, Dan Stevens signs on to a superhero tv show. Does this mean anything? I don't know.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/legion-dan-stevens-fx-marvel-x-men-pilot-aubrey-plaza-jean-smart-1201696486/

Well two big 'ifs'...

If this Legion tv show is a hit and runs for several seasons

and if Craig doesn't return for Bond 25...

it seems unlikely Stevens would be available. Shows like Smallville (the adventures of Clark Kent) ran for 10 seasons!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AceHole wrote: »
    But i think we all know that the Oscars are little more than a gala event to fuel the ego's of the big studios and their affiliates anyway, most film fans give more credence to the winners of smaller cinematic festivals, eg. Venice, Sundance, Cannes. It's there that you will see the real quality awarded with recognition.
    Definitely true. I'm ashamed to admit that I've hardly seen many of the films that have won personally.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Which part is so ridiculous for you? Makes a lot of sense to me actually. Time will tell how next years Oscars will turn out.

Your suggestion that next year the oscars, "will shower every possible black man or woman just to.prove, they have learned their lesson. Wether or not its deserved wont be an issue." You don't need a crystal ball irrespective of how things have been to know that the Oscars aren't going to fulfil your claim. Sure, the Oscars will definitely fix up and do what they should have been doing all along but to claim that they're going to make such a racial appeasement is definitely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    AceHole wrote: »

Don't be so ridiculous.

Not really ridiculous, if you are referring to the 'backlash'. I agree that it will probably change the way the Oscar panel votes and perhaps even who stays/gets on it.

That much is obvious but what @Germanlady said about the Oscars now handing out Oscars to every black actor as a reaction to this year's Oscars is what I find ridiculous. The Oscars do need to change and start assessing their nominations more fairly but it's ludicrous to believe that their narrow approach to nominations these past couple of years is going to mean that every black actor will be "appeased".
    Well, your good right. I see it as written. They will try to "make up" for the lack of nods in the past. Easy as that.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It may seem like pandering if they're not careful and of course it will depend on what performances we see this year.

I think they're doing alright. Didn't Chiwetel Ejiofor & Steve McQueen get nominated in 2014, and if I recall, Lupita Nyong'o actually won.
    Well, your good right. I see it as written. They will try to "make up" for the lack of nods in the past. Easy as that.

Obviously because there's a clear institutional problem and fracture within the structure. This has clearly been evident tgese past few couple of years in particular. However, the answer will not be the academy awarding or showering every black actor as you put it. That's just a knee jerk reaction from you to seriously believe.
  • RC7RC7

Obviously because there's a clear institutional problem and fracture within the structure. This has clearly been evident tgese past few couple of years in particular. However, the answer will not be the academy awarding or showering every black actor as you put it. That's just a knee jerk reaction from you to seriously believe.

They won't go over the top, but unless the only films starring black actors this year are made by the Wayans brothers I think it's safe to say there will certainly be a handful of nominations and one or two wins in 2017.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would love to see Elba as a 00 or better yet as a Bond Villain, but not as Bond.
    RC7 wrote: »

They won't go over the top, but unless the only films starring black actors this year are made by the Wayans brothers I think it's safe to say there will certainly be a handful of nominations and one or two wins in 2017.

Which is a fair and reasonable assumption all things considered.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

I was just thinking, what about Charlie Hunnam?

Yeah he's been mentioned on here a couple of times (usually to a negative reaction!), but he's the right age and profile to be a legitimate candidate.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would love to see Elba as a 00 or better yet as a Bond Villain, but not as Bond.

It's a bit played out, but I can see him as a 00 gone rogue.
    Steve McQueen get nominated in 2014,

??? is he back from the dead?

Yopu seem to get irritated by words instead of reading the message as it was meant.

Here we go and I am not rating this in any way. Its what it is.

Diversity Debate Underscores 2016 NAACP Image Awards As Oscar Snubs Win Big
    naacp-image-awards-logo-01-1600x1231
    By Amanda N'Duka

The 47th annual NAACP Image Awards went right to where the Academy Awards chose not to go, honoring two of this year’s most notorious Oscars snubs with top honors tonight. Creed was the clear winner, taking home wins for best actor (Michael B. Jordan), Best Director (Ryan Coogler), Best Supporting Actress (Phylicia Rashad), and Best Writing. That’s one for every category in which it was nominated. Sweeting the Creed success, Jordan earned the coveted Entertainer Of The… READ
    http://deadline.com/2016/02/naacp-image-awards-compton-creed-diversity-rule-the-night-1201697505/
    No your comment was just silly and thats what was irrirating. As for the NAACP, Yes because, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Awards, clearly isn't about celebrating and honoring people of colour *rolls eyes*
    LOL. OK, lets stop here. Ain't getting anywhere.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Sark wrote: »
    Steve McQueen get nominated in 2014,

??? is he back from the dead?
    Sorry @Sark, I should have clarified. I'm refering to Steve McQueen the director, who is black. He was nominated in 2014 for 12 Years a Slave.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Yopu seem to get irritated by words instead of reading the message as it was meant.

Here we go and I am not rating this in any way. Its what it is.

Diversity Debate Underscores 2016 NAACP Image Awards As Oscar Snubs Win Big
    naacp-image-awards-logo-01-1600x1231
    By Amanda N'Duka

The 47th annual NAACP Image Awards went right to where the Academy Awards chose not to go, honoring two of this year’s most notorious Oscars snubs with top honors tonight. Creed was the clear winner, taking home wins for best actor (Michael B. Jordan), Best Director (Ryan Coogler), Best Supporting Actress (Phylicia Rashad), and Best Writing. That’s one for every category in which it was nominated. Sweeting the Creed success, Jordan earned the coveted Entertainer Of The… READ
    http://deadline.com/2016/02/naacp-image-awards-compton-creed-diversity-rule-the-night-1201697505/

I think the race issues have gone out of proportions with the Oscars.

They didn't nominate them because they thought their respective performances or films were not good enough for a nod just like with any actor or movie, the snub didn't happen because of Race.

Michael sure was snubbed and i think he could have gotten a nomination instead Cranston or Matt Damon and creed as Best Picture should have taken The Room's place or Brooklyn's.

Creed was a very entretaining and excting film, reminded me to the best days of Rocky.

I got excited with Creed's training, the fights got me on the edge of my sit just like Rocky's fights used to.
    The film is a great movie expirience and would have been a much more inspiring nod than your typical depressing slow peaced drama which is how the Room and Brooklyn like in the trailer.
    But i see it as typical unfair pick like with any film i wanted nominated and didn't get in. The first which comes to my mind is Rush ( The movie about Nicky Lauda).

With Concussions it happened because the movie messed with The NFL and made them look like monsters. Boxing is a dangerous Sport just like American football but no one tells them they are evil.

Concussions villified American football like it was the devil that's why didn't like anything to do with the film but not race.

I think Oscar Boycot is silly.
    Should there were some snubs but it wasn't because of race it was because shit always happen with the oscars like leo being snubed way too many times.