Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Having had a look at a small part of The Night Manager Hiddleston aces the part this-will be a great watch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Tuulia, I agree that shining in a role opposite Hemsworth isn't anything to brag about. I also agree with you that Hiddleston is interesting. He has something about him that's a little dark/edgy (Elizabeth Olsen, who he's starred opposite, even said that his smoothness hints at psychopathy), which is a quality I think a Bond actor must have.

This recent quote which I found online suggests Craig may in fact be back for one more, and also that Hiddleston could be on EON's radar (but if they don't get him soon, I think that chance will pass as he seems to be just on the verge of breakout, like Bale in 2005):

Meanwhile, Tom recently admitted he would be keen to replace Daniel Craig as James Bond.

He said: "I did hear recently that he is making another one. And I would never want to usurp or even attempt to usurp Daniel Craig's place in the James Bond pantheon. But, in an entirely hypothetical situation ... Of course it would be ... that would be huge ... I think I would enjoy the experience."
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Yes the hints of Craig's return plus Fiennes's indication that he will return one more time (is that a quote?) suggests to me more is already on the table than we know.

Oh and Waltz saying he will return if Craig does. I left that significant rumor out.

Happy for both to return but if Fiennes is just returning to finish a misfired story then I'm not what to think just yet.

@bondjames, hmm, interesting... And, um, psychopathy?
    @Tuulia, I found it an interesting assessment by Olsen. For me, he brings intensity mixed with a slightly unhinged undertone that I last remember seeing in early Christian Bale, and early Daniel Craig as Bond (QoS/CR).
    @bondjames, yes, but that's a quality that's there if the role/character so requires. In other words acting, which you seem to mean as well. I haven't seen Olsen's quote, the way you first wrote about it made it seem like she was talking about the actor, and perhaps you, too, so that was confusing. I know nothing about Hiddleston, really, so I have no idea... Craig and Bale are by all accounts social and fun people. But I agree that intensity (even psychopathy) is certainly a characteristic that I would agree Bond should have - and any actor playing him should be able to convey. If Olsen and you were just talking about what an actor can convey, then yeah, I'm all for it. - And I really need to see more of Hiddleston's work.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 709
    RC7 wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »
    hmm, I'm not big on superhero movies, but I'll have to check him out.

Ugh...utterly cringe-worthy, IMHO. Showing up to a comic dorkfest 'in character'...?! 8-|

Please, no. I know its a case of "this is the world we live in now", but I don't want any Bond actor who's constantly posting selfies and attending 'fan events'. Bond should be a bit of an aloof prick, not a pandering for attention cheeseball :)
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Please, no. I know its a case of "this is the world we live in now", but I don't want any Bond actor who's constantly posting selfies and attending 'fan events'. Bond should be a bit of an aloof prick, not a pandering for attention cheeseball :)
    I'm sure EON has rules on this sort of thing when an actor signs up for Bond, so I wouldn't worry so much about it. Not relevant.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    yeah, I'd say that a James Bond actor showing up "in character" at a convention event would be almost unthinkable.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Like this instance?
  • My top 3 choices would be Fassbender, Hardy or Elba
    My top 3 choices would be Fassbender, Hardy or Elba

Only Hardy out of those three for me. Bond is white.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

1. german. On the verge of being too old. But I'm more open to him than the other choices.
    2. Too short (5'9" generously) and already committed to Mad Max for the foreseeable future.
    3. Already too old and while handsome, looks his age. Roger was 45, sure, but looked like 35 right up until he turned 50.

I know he's probably past it, but I really think Fassbender could make an absolutely superb Bond. Again, he has my primary criteria, which is an easy ability to bring a hidden darkness to his portrayals.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I know he's probably past it, but I really think Fassbender could make an absolutely superb Bond. Again, he has my primary criteria, which is an easy ability to bring a hidden darkness to his portrayals.

Agreed except I don't think age has the same weight as it did. We had a 50 year old Bond woman (underused) and we have a younger M.
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 9,774
    Again it's all in terms of tone and what they are going for with Bond.

I remember someone after Quantum sighting "Had they gone with christian bale we wouldn't have all this dark emotional stuff in a Bond Film" which made me laugh as if Bale was 007 the films would be even darker and grittier due to Bale's Stengths as an actor.

For me Fassbender would be like Bale almost too dark where as Hardy (who will probably be too old when Craig steps down he is 38 now he will be mid 40's when craig likely steps down ignoring any other issues people have with him) as well as Hiddleston to me will be the perfect balance. Hiddleston's Tenure (if he got cast) would look toward The Living Daylights For Your eyes Onlyand Mission impossible Rogue Nation for inspiration. Will there be moments of dark Gritty Realisim? Yes Absolutly. Will there be moment of fun? Yup.

He would have Balance like between A view to a kill and Licence to kill without being to crazy either side.

I don't think Hiddleston will push toward the Brosnan era or Moonraker/diamonds are forever era of fun but will have realistic plots and yet still have a ton of fun and class (plus he is older then me so I can still feel young lol trust me when Affleck was cast as batman I breathed a sigh of releif that i wasnt older then Batman)
  • RC7RC7
    Fassbender would be perfect were he a little younger. Perfect.
  • Sark wrote: »

1. german. On the verge of being too old. But I'm more open to him than the other choices.
    2. Too short (5'9" generously) and already committed to Mad Max for the foreseeable future.
    3. Already too old and while handsome, looks his age. Roger was 45, sure, but looked like 35 right up until he turned 50.

For me these three are the most obvious choices. The reason they’re all so obvious is mainly due to how great each would be the role. However, I feel at this same point in 2005, a lot of ‘obvious names’ were thrown around like Clive Owen and Hugh Jackman, none of which were seriously under-consideration. We ended up with DC, who wasn’t ever on anyone’s sort-after list this early in the process. I think it’ll likely be the same story this time out.

However, EON do have a history of going out to the more obvious names, both Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan (and to some degree Timothy Dalton) were pretty uninspired and rote names the press and fans had been pedaling.

Each actor has their own merits:

1. Michael Fassbender: He’s undeniably the best actor of the three. He has a great sexy stance and he’s bloody handsome. In the X-Men films he has an air of a young Connery. Furthermore, he has a really contained mania to him. There is something slightly unhinged and threatening. The only problem I feel is that he’s a slightly prestige-y actor and (aside the X-Men films where he is part of an ensemble) he’s steered clear from franchise films. They would be very lucky to get him.

2. Tom Hardy:
    He’s got the look for sure. He’s definitely charismatic and creatively very brave (Hardy is one of the few leading men out there willing to work in both TV and film, often in supporting roles). I’m not a fan of his acting style which often involves grunting and making odd incomprehensible noises, but that aside Hardy, went on form, is brilliant. Though he has a tendency to really ham it up on occassion. All he needs is a good director to reign in his tics. Also Hardy has the biggest following of the three (maybe bigger than Elba), he is really loved by both men and women. Finally, out of these three he is one who ‘looks’ the most like James Bond.

3. Idris Elba:
    Personally, he’s my choice for the role. He just oozses charisma and sex-appeal. He’d be the boldest move the producers could make, and I feel that the Bond franchise (the daddy of all film series’) should lead the diversity movement. I don’t feel that they should solely go for an ethic actor for this reason alone. However, when an actor like Idris comes along it’s difficult to ignore him. Regardless of race, he seems the most viable option for me. He’s bloody sexy, he looks like he could kick the shit outta most people and he’s something of a national icon over in the UK. If Idris was cast the heat and buzz around Bond 25 would be deafening. As for his age, it shouldn’t be an issue; within the Craig era Bond has been established as an older man so Idris fits that mould. Furthermore, he looks great for his age, as the old adage goes ‘black don’t crack’ (forgive my crassness).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Idris Elba's age will rule him out if Craig does Bond 25, as Elba will be 49 to 50 years by the time he starts filming his debut outing.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Mmmm i don't like Hidelston he might be very hamdsome but he seems to me more like a Possible M in a long future.

He looks like Ralph Fiennes when he was younger and while Ralph was very handsome he was never James Bond material.

We need someone like Pierce Brosnan in his prime

Like i said i don't have an actor in mind i just have a type of what i want for the next Bond and thats an incredibly handsome actor who has the movie star look.
    Someone ssimilar look to Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery or Brad Pitt in their respective prime.

Hidelston is too artsy when he is not playing Locky
    Reydman and cumberbatch too thin.
    Idris Elba, Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender is like not changing Craig.

I loved Craig but he is an exception to a type i don't like much.

Fassbender i don't know what it is but i just don't find him appealing at all.
    Many say he is sex on legs i just don't see that
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Every time Hollywood launches a new franchise, or revisits an old one, they patently ignore black actors. As much as they can argue that Batman and Superman etc have to represent what we know about the character, why do they overlook black actors in the main role when reviving old tv series like Man from UNCLE or Mission: Impossible?

Thankfully they have cast a black actor in the new SW film (I'm lead to believe) which is something, but the arrogance of that Amy Pascal woman suggesting a black actor for Bond, when Hollywood keep all of their major franchise characters white (apart from the Hulk) and only occasionally allow a black actor in (Blade, MIB I suppose).

Now why wasn't Idris Elba cast as Mad Max? or Napoleon Solo? Or Sherlock Holmes?

Black actors simply don't get the breaks - but it isn't up to the Bond people to lead the way. It should be Hollywood creating more new options for black actors.
    @NicNac, the issue could just be bankability.

Given the financial risks involved in making a film these days, and the fact that it must appeal to a global audience, Hollywood probably just is a little frightened to take any chance with acceptance by such audiences. Additionally, there are far fewer black or minority leading actors to choose from (the pot is considerably smaller).

Will Smith had his time in the sun, as did Wesley Snipes and Eddie Murphy before him, but these are the exceptions rather than the rule. Denzel is in a different league than all of them, and he's been around for ages.

I think it's just a numbers game. Hollywood first and foremost is about money and minimizing risks these days.

I agree that Elba is one of those once in a generation actors who should be given a leading film franchise before it's too late. Luther has proven that.
  • RC7RC7
    It's definitely about the $$$
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @bondjames and @RC7 I absolutely agree, it is. I fell shy of saying that, but it is the risk factor.
    Tom Cruise is box office, there is no comparable black actor. Yet there are fewer to chose from because they have more hoops to jump through to get in the public eye.
    If they settle for support roles like Jackson and Freeman then Hollywood is forgiving and welcoming. If they dare to aim higher, well Heaven forbid.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Szonana wrote: »
    while Ralph was very handsome he was never James Bond material.

We need someone like Pierce Brosnan in his prime

That's a very interesting perspective.

Risico007 wrote: »
    Again it's all in terms of tone and what they are going for with Bond.

I remember someone after Quantum sighting "Had they gone with christian bale we wouldn't have all this dark emotional stuff in a Bond Film" which made me laugh as if Bale was 007 the films would be even darker and grittier due to Bale's Stengths as an actor.

For me Fassbender would be like Bale almost too dark where as Hardy (who will probably be too old when Craig steps down he is 38 now he will be mid 40's when craig likely steps down ignoring any other issues people have with him) as well as Hiddleston to me will be the perfect balance. Hiddleston's Tenure (if he got cast) would look toward The Living Daylights For Your eyes Onlyand Mission impossible Rogue Nation for inspiration. Will there be moments of dark Gritty Realisim? Yes Absolutly. Will there be moment of fun? Yup.

I agree what kind of tone they'll be going for has a lot to do with the actor choice. If we assume that Craig will do another one then the re-casting is some years away and many things could change... and also obviously actors' will get older - some too old, some will be a good age then that might not be now.

However, I very much disagree with you that Bale would have been darker and grittier than Craig. I'm not sure about Fassbender since I'm less familiar with him, but I don't think he'd be "too dark" either. I can easily imagine him being a fantastic Bond. Not that I'd expect it happening anyway, and of course he's the same age as Hardy, who I have a hard time even imagining as Bond (though as an actor I like him more than Fassbender). Again, not happening anyway, but just theoretically speaking. I have no idea if either actor would really, seriously, even be interested. Nor do I know how fit they are physically, possibly fine, but at some point doing action stuff and fight scenes is not necessarily exactly advisable. (Like Bale is only 3 years older than those two, but should probably be wrapped in cotton wool before he trashes the still uninjured body parts or does further damage to the already hurt parts.) It's a huge, long-time, physically and publicity-wise tough commitment. It's obviously a tougher job in many ways nowadays than it used to be.

Idris Elba's age will rule him out if Craig does Bond 25, as Elba will be 49 to 50 years by the time he starts filming his debut outing.

Yes. Not too old to play Bond, but surely too old to start playing Bond. Age does matter, too. No matter how much some people say that it doesn't really, but it does.

RC7 wrote: »
    It's definitely about the $$$

Yup.

One thing that just occurred to me about why there is all this incessant banter about a first black Bond in the media. It could very well be because the Bond scenario is rather distinct within the Hollywood machine.

It's British first and foremost, and also has EON in charge of casting (with studio approval). This could be seen as unique and out of the mainstream. They have a history of pushing the envelope as well (from time to time). Sure, Brosnan was as expected as they come, but Connery? Lazenby? Dalton? Craig? Who in Hollywood would have recommended this? Even Affleck was a movie star before Batman.

So perhaps Hollywood and its media pick on Bond to push the envelope more than most because he's British firstly, and because of EON's track record as it were. Maybe people actually look to them for leadership due to their sort of pseudo independence within the studio system.
    An interesting idea, @bondjames.
  • My top 3 choices would be Fassbender, Hardy or Elba

All three are way too established in terms of fame (and asking price). They're all getting leads in studio movies and are identifiable with various comic book/pop culture roles. EON has never hired anyone who is a recognizable movie star.