Is the Double-Take Pigeon the silliest thing in Moore's era?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    So no Lupe then? ;)
    Well, I think she's got a bit more potential than a dopey one-note girl.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    edited February 2016 Posts: 77
    Here are my picks, in no particular order:

The slide whistle in TMWTGG
    Clown disguise in OP
    Kananga's death in LALD
    Tarzan yell in OP
    Bond zooming in on a womans cleveage in Q's lab in OP
    The bed scene with Bond and May Day in AVTAK
    Jaws surviving everything that gets thrown at him in TSWLM and MR (I can buy him being kicked out of the train in the former but not the free fall during the PTS in the latter)

The double-taking pidgeon is already a silly moment in a silly scene. The slide whistle is how you ruin a scene.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

I thought that was great and something I can see Bond doing. You thought that was silly but Bond telling a tiger to sit wasn't?
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Sark wrote: »

I thought that was great and something I can see Bond doing. You thought that was silly but Bond telling a tiger to sit wasn't?

I couldn't remember it at the time of writing. You also missed the obviously stuffed tiger shot. It's been almost two years since I saw OP, and for me, it doesn't have much re-watch value compared to others.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I agree that the scene where Bond zooms in on the lady's breasts in OP is truly awful and should have been left on the cutting room floor. Bonds are not meant to be Carry On films for heaven's sake!
    The Tarzan yelling is the silliest thing, hands down
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 489
    Jaws flapping like a bird in MR.
    I was shocked the first time I saw it.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Idiotic though it may seem, I've always wondered what plausible alternatives there could be in this situation. Diving towards the ground likely wouldn't work (big mess) so this is probably as good an instinctive option as any.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Idiotic though it may seem, I've always wondered what plausible alternatives there could be in this situation. Diving towards the ground likely wouldn't work (big mess) so this is probably as good an instinctive option as any.

Ha ha very true!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

Ha ha very true!

Well I suppose his flapping must provide an infintessimal amount of upward thrust? Perhaps without it he would have been killed but the tiny amount he managed to slow himself down plus the circus tent was enough to save him?

Can anyone do the maths on this? I'm assuming he's going at terminal velocity but he has first the tent to slow him and then I'm presuming the trapeze net. How survivable is it? Given that there are numerous stories of people surviving when their chute didn't open I guess it's possibly more survivable than you might think.

Factor in that Jaws is also a double hard bastard and it's pretty believable? No?
  • RC7RC7

Ha ha very true!

Well I suppose his flapping must provide an infintessimal amount of upward thrust? Perhaps without it he would have been killed but the tiny amount he managed to slow himself down plus the circus tent was enough to save him?

Can anyone do the maths on this? I'm assuming he's going at terminal velocity but he has first the tent to slow him and then I'm presuming the trapeze net. How survivable is it? Given that there are numerous stories of people surviving when their chute didn't open I guess it's possibly more survivable than you might think.

Factor in that Jaws is also a double hard bastard and it's pretty believable? No?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović

If this girl can do it, Jaws definitely can.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Ha ha very true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović

If this girl can do it, Jaws definitely can.

Vesna Vulovic - great name for a Bond girl too!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The silliest thing in the Moore era was Brosnan showing up on the set of FYEO, and Cubby thinking he would be his man if he could act.
  • The falling into the circus tent after the arm-flapping did not help matters either.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Let's just say the Jaws/Sheriff JWP era was regrettable and leave it at that.
    =bg= wrote: »
    Let's just say the Jaws/Sheriff JWP era was regrettable and leave it at that.
    Not the first time out (LALD & TSWLM respectively), imho. The second time out (TMWTGG & MR), yes, in both cases, again imho.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    I hate the guts of those kids that mock Bond on OP. They deserved a major comeuppance. As silly and humiliating as possible.
  • Speaking of OP, how did the flute player know the Bond theme:?
    Newman could take a cue from him. O:-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Not really silly but I always hated Bond pushing the kid in the river in TMWTGG.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    So did Roger. :))
    ;) True, not very gentlemanly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Speaking of OP, how did the flute player know the Bond theme:?

In one of the latest X-Files episodes, Mulder has The X-Files Theme as his ringsignal on the phone.
    I kind of hoped the rat in SP would do a double take :/
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Not really silly but I always hated Bond pushing the kid in the river in TMWTGG.

Me too - not very sporting and the wrong reading of the Bond character IMHO.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    It's not like he was killing the kid, he jumped off one boat and claimed on Bonds.
    All could be true, but I just don't like it.
    The kid was annoying as hell. In certain countries, they do that when you're stuck in traffic too. I think the punishment was suitable, although I sympathized with his financial plight. Bond had to get a move on and the kid was a needless distraction.
  • I always feel a little bad, but that moment never fails to make me chuckle.