Mr. Masters
    Boothroyd
    Tanner
    Moneypenny
    M
    Carney
    Samira Dar
    Godwin Soames

Now, imagine if we were to stay true to the comic book as a source material, who would you cast in each role?

James Bond - If it was years ago, I definitely would have gone with Jason Isaacs.

Slaven Kurjak - He has a very striking resemblance to Anthony Dawson when I look at him, but if I were to choose a contemporary actor, it would probably be Goran Višnjić.

Dharma Reach - Well, anyone who has the Selina Kyle look.

Mr. Masters - Jeff Hephner

Boothroyd - Ian McShane

Tanner - Paul Bettany

Moneypenny - Thandie Newton

M - Well, perhaps we'll have to go with a black British actor who has sophisticated masculinity about him. No one comes to mind, right now. No, Idris Elba. You stay away!

Samira Dar - Perhaps an actress of British-Indian heritage?

Godwin Soames - Same instructions as given to M's choice.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Now we have these characters so far:

James Bond
    Slaven Kurjak
    Dharma Reach
    Mr. Masters
    Boothroyd
    Tanner
    Moneypenny
    M

Now, imagine if we were to stay true to the comic book as a source material, who would you cast in each role?

James Bond - If it was years ago, I definitely would have gone with Jason Isaacs.

Slaven Kurjak - He has a very striking resemblance to Anthony Dawson when I look at him, but if I were to choose a contemporary actor, it would probably be Goran Višnjić.

Dharma Reach - Well, anyone who has the Selina Kyle look.

Boothroyd - Ian McShane

Tanner - Paul Bettany

M - Well, perhaps we'll have to go with a black British actor who has sophisticated masculinity about him. No one comes to mind, right now.

I haven't stayed as close but great casting. Nice we both cast Visnjic as Kurjak :)..

I kept the current cast but had to modify dialogue a bit in my head.

Added Sergent Smithers to the Q scene to collect Bond's gun ..leaving Q to introduce the bullets. Scrapped the holster comment.

Started gunbarrel to night skyline of Helsinki (wasted locale even in my film) ...ext dive bar with our tattooed mark sitting at the bar. Bartender brings him a martini complete with a lemon twist courtesy of Bond ..Spider thug turns looking for Bond then spits in the martini and leaves

(subtext is that Spider already knows that he has been being followed before this teaser.)

Ext. Bar Spider eyes Bond smirking at him across the traffic heavy street ..Spider tries to nonchalantly keep walking Bond parallel to him... then we loss Bond and the rest follows the comic fairly close but tad less blood.

What's interesting is that the teaser is almost all from the thug's perspective.

I'm weird I know but I enjoy entertaining my mind like this. Even imaging reaction from critics and this forum is fun for me.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I had a kick out of reading your adaptation, @mcdonbb. Really good start film-wise. Personally, I would edit out the low-life backstreet London thugs too, who seemed to have overdosed by the end of the second issue. I'd replace them with either drug-obsessed businessmen... or nightclub pimps...
    I had a kick out of reading your adaptation, @mcdonbb. Really good start film-wise. Personally, I would edit out the low-life backstreet London thugs too, who seemed to have overdosed by the end of the second issue. I'd replace them with either drug-obsessed businessmen... or nightclub pimps...

Maybe so. Wonderful idea.

The possible look of that Spider thug when he gets a high priced fancy drink in front of him just hits me funny. The audience would know it's from Bond of course..
    mcdonbb wrote: »

The possible look of that Spider thug when he gets a high priced fancy drink in front of him just hits me funny. The audience would know it's from Bond of course..
    Oh yeah! Imagine that confused and irritated look on his face! =))

I'm honored ..glad you like it. Thank you.

You're welcome.

That said, however, as I did love the lines Bond spit into his face before shooting him, I do believe the Bar Spider should have a different look, more elegant than a metalhdead-type of a thug whose retreat is a small drug warehouse.

You're welcome.

That said, however, as I did love the lines Bond spit into his face before shooting him, I do believe the Bar Spider should have a different look, more elegant than a metalhdead-type of a thug whose retreat is a small drug warehouse.

I enjoyed those lines as well. I shortened them in my head to flow faster on "screen".

Bond: "you killed a colleague of mine ...008 ..in cold blood (says while attaching silencer) ..only for the pleasure of killing."

Thug: "who the hell are you?!"

Bond: "I'm 007 ...(camera angle same as comic) ...your assassin."

Cut immediately to DK's titles with body of thug with bullet head wound (very similar to comic.) You can pick your title song of choice :).

Just like the comic you don't actually see Bond shoot Spider.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Yes, lovely intro. However, I would ekeep the dialogue probably as we've seen in the comic book. Not sure how I'd insert the exact words but it would have the interpretation that the killer did a 'brother-like figure' of his wrong... And he's there to avenge him.

Slight changes, if I am allowed, of course...

Bond: "You killed a friend of mine... A colleague..." (Keeps screwing the silencer slowly as if he's turning into the grim reaper) "...In cold blood... Only for the pleasure of killing." (His eyes widen with cold hatred and rage)

Thug: (horror in his eyes) "Who was it?!" (starts crawling backwards) "Who the hell are you?"

Bond: "You... killed 008..." (he's done with attaching the silencer, gazing into the thug's eyes as if he's scaring the living daylights out of him) "And I..." (raises the gun, camera angle same as the comic book) "...am 007."

Gunshot is heard. The muzzle flash drawing the basis for the first frame of the Main Title Sequence, designed by Daniel Kleinman. Song? I think I'd like something in the vein of "Who Else Can You Trust?" by Ivy Levan.

As for the cast, I think I have found the perfect actress for the role of Dharma Reach, who truly has an uncanny resemblance to the actress I've just cast.
    cdn.tvlia.com.files.2011.02.Anna-Morena-Baccarin-v-2009-16873544-1534-2048_picnik.jpg
    Morena Baccarin from V (2009-2011 Television Series)

And here's Dharma...
    1vE37A3.jpg

And of course, if we are to keep the current recurring cast, then I would replace Smithers with Boothroyd, also referred to as the armourer, who gives Q the directions, technical advice and designations on the artillery and development of weaponry and firearms.
    Very impressive ideas my friend.. I think I like yours better. You achieved what I was trying to achieve but with a tad better command of the language. Thank you.. I enjoyed it.

And yes excellent choice for Dharma.

In my Q scene I didn't actually replace Ben Wishaw. Relieving Bond of his gun seemed to me out of character for that Q. So I added Smithers. I of course stole the name from the Q lab assistant in a couple of the Moore Bonds.

I'm enjoying this. Thank you.

By the way I still don't get why Vargr isn't generating more discussion on here.
    Thank you, sir!! :D

I've just come up with the whole cast, in case you're interested.

That is, if we are keeping the recurring characters the same as now...

Slaven Kurjak - Goran Visnjic
    Dharma Reach - Morena Baccarin
    Carney - Colm Meaney
    Godwin Soames - Ray Fearon
    Samira Dar - Nandana Sen

But, if we are to go with the all-different cast, resembling the comic, I'd go with:
    James Bond - Jason Isaacs
    M - Delroy Lindo
    Boothroyd - Ian McShane
    Bill Tanner - Paul Bettany

Carney - Colm Meaney
    Samira Dar - Nandana Sen

But, if we are to go with the all-different cast, resembling the comic, I'd go with:
    M - Delroy Lindo
    Boothroyd - Ian McShane

Nice... impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Since we've gone this far do you have a director of photography in mind? I'm torn between Deakins and Emmanuel Lubezki.

Carney - Colm Meaney
    Samira Dar - Nandana Sen

M - Delroy Lindo
    Boothroyd - Ian McShane

Nice... impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Since we've gone this far do you have a director of photography in mind? I'm torn between Deakins and Emmanuel Lubezki.
    Thanks again, and you're welcome.

Deakins and Lubezki are brilliant choices. Now, I wouldn't know which cinematographer would be best for VARGR but if I were to go, I'd pick Robert Elswit. Absolutely loved his shots in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. I'd love to see that look in a Bond film.
    Yes, Elswit has a pretty impressive filmography including TND.

Just purchased my hard copy of part #3. Very enjoyable... wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not sure if I could carry on such a lengthy conversation even in shock with half my guts splattered on the ground.
    Yes, Elswit has a pretty impressive filmography including TND.

Just purchased my hard copy of part #3. Very enjoyable... wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not sure if I could carry on such a lengthy conversation even in shock with half my guts splattered on the ground.
    Agreed.

That part was somewhat over-the-top but still enjoyable. I love how violent, cold-blooded and drastic Bond becomes when executing everyone in the warehouse one by one... Or did he empty a whole magazine on that Lebanese criminal?

I love how Kurjak refers to Bond as a 'wizard' just for his survival.
    No, I think put a shot in each one to make sure dead. And yes I like the wizard reference too. Anxious for the next issue.

Again, I know we can't be the only fans enjoying this. WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE? lol

Yeah, where are you, Bond fans? The comic nerdists? Helloooo, Dicky Moeee?
    I dare say you don't even have to like comics .. Just be brave and try it :).

If there are collectors of the Titan Bond comics out there, and they aren't necessarily comic book readers, this is definitely right up their alley. Heck, it's Bond. Like all the new books (novels) that come out, this format is as good as them... If not better.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,185
    I'm here, i love the series. I read this thread occasionally, but i feel like right now there is not much to talk about really. its hard to think that i have to wait 3 more month to have the complete story. But so far this series is better than i expected.
    00Agent wrote: »
    I'm here, i love the series. I read this thread occasionally, but i feel like right now there is not much to talk about really. its hard to think that i have to wait 3 more month to have the complete story. But so far this series is better than i expected.

Welcome and that's good.

• I'm here... and enjoying the book so far. But I think maybe some folks on this board just aren't all that interested in comic books. As much as I enjoy the literary (Fleming) Bond, I haven't been all that satisfied with the post-Fleming continuations of Gardner, et al., so I largely ignore them. We like what we like & there's no arguing around that...
    I'm here... and enjoying the book so far. But I think maybe some folks on this board just aren't all that interested in comic books. As much as I enjoy the literary (Fleming) Bond, I haven't been all that satisfied with the post-Fleming continuations of Gardner, et al., so I largely ignore them. We like what we like & there's no arguing around that...

True ...I just don't want potential readers to miss out.
    Gardner is not my favourite writer, either. But, I am a fan of Benson's continuation books which kept me really satisfied with the plot twists as well as the characterizations of the recurring personnel in the franchise. The only thing I didn't like about his designation on the material was the turncoat of Marc-Ange Draco.

Young Bond books are fun, but they are in no way competitors to the adult James Bond thrillers. For the rest of the one-off authors, though, I can do without. Trigger Mortis wasn't all that good, but certainly a lot better than Faulks', Deaver's and Boyd's books combined.

As for this comic book and Bond comics overall, they really do come in to my fancy and keep me excited. If you like literary Bond, Permission To Die is right up your alley (I don't know how many times I've used the term in this thread alone), but if the fun/adventure Bond is of your preference (which, I know not many in here like), Serpent's Tooth is the greatest experience.

So far, VARGR is doing a good job.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Next schedule: February 3 (Issue #4)
    Upcoming: March 2 (Issue #5)

I can hardly wait.

On top of that, in the whole Bond community, I am surprised to see that very few of us are actually interested in these Bond comics, and not everyone is bothering with it, much to my confusion.

Agreed. I'm not getting the sense that a lot of Bond fans have embraced this series. I think the fact that 007 was absent from the domain of comic books for two decades has meant that the people at Dynamite Entertainment are going to have to work a little harder than they original bargained in order for the book to gain traction within he fanbase.

3 issues have been released. I'd be very curious to learn what the sales numbers are, or what the print numbers are for that matter.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada

M - Delroy Lindo

Wow. That would be something, especially Lindo as M.

Well played.
    eddychaput wrote: »
    Next schedule: February 3 (Issue #4)
    Upcoming: March 2 (Issue #5)

I can hardly wait.

On top of that, in the whole Bond community, I am surprised to see that very few of us are actually interested in these Bond comics, and not everyone is bothering with it, much to my confusion.

Agreed. I'm not getting the sense that a lot of Bond fans have embraced this series. I think the fact that 007 was absent from the domain of comic books for two decades has meant that the people at Dynamite Entertainment are going to have to work a little harder than they original bargained in order for the book to gain traction within he fanbase.

3 issues have been released. I'd be very curious to learn what the sales numbers are, or what the print numbers are for that matter.
    Apparently, some of the comic book stores claim that their Bond comics are out of stock and those who haven't bought it must wait for quite sometime.
    eddychaput wrote: »

M - Delroy Lindo

Wow. That would be something, especially Lindo as M.

Well played.
    Thank you, sir! :D
    Yes I had trouble finding a hard copy version of #3. I hope Vargr is doing well enough.. I don't want another unfinished series.

So hey HEY! Everyone... stop arguing and whining over SP and making fun of DAD and start buying this series!!

Hello?! This is a monthly MONTHLY new Bond to enjoy or to at least tide you over potentially until B25 and beyond.

SUPPORT!!!!!!
    Get this man trophy at once!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2016 Posts: 28,694
    As a comic book lover and Bond fan in tandem, I'd be more than willing to purchase something like this...months after its run in a trade paperback. Monthly titles do nothing for me because I want to follow a story naturally and see it develop without pause. Having to wait four weeks between each issue just doesn't engage me and literally and figuratively makes me lose the plot.

I'm extremely happy to see all you gents loving it, though. With many disappointments out there in the Bond world in its many mediums, I'm glad Fleming's work has found new life in the comic book form and has found a place in your hearts.