Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

134689147

Comments

  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Oh I think you will necessarily enjoy the second issue as it involves a Selina Kyle type Bond Girl who lures 007 into a trap, according to the official blurb and reports.
  • With the modern comics' scripting "decompressed" storytelling technique being all the rage, I'm usually less than thrilled with most first issues. They're generally nothing but set-up....and I want to see a little more pay-off. Oh, for the days when a first issue had set-up, complication, and conclusion all in one 25-page issue!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Unfortunately, today's first issues in general are all about the introduction/set-up for the main plot. It doesn't take off until the second issue. Back in the old days, you've had many things to see in one issue that kickstarted a story, but that's no longer how it's done these days. Sad to say.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,183
    i didn't mind that the first issue was a bit 'boring'. actually i really liked the 'mundane office work' stuff. i felt like this was a good introduction to the story and character, and seeing Bond
    eating lunch in the MI6 canteen while having a chat with Tanner about everyday spy stuff,
    made the character much more relatable in a way the movies never could.
    But the beginning was very good, and the last panel promised much more bloody action for the future
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2015 Posts: 364
    A little snippet of the comic from my unboxing video channel
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Posts: 364
    On the whole I enjoyed the book. Of course, there is only so much story they can tell in about 22 pages. It's set-up, for sure. That said, they seem to have really understood how to translate Fleming's Bond to modern comics. I'm happy with the start.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Posts: 2,535
    Sorry for the off topic... Does anybody know this??

    DIG052641_1._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

    f89afabf23542e6b9827d283de24284d._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    It's something new, first time I'm seeing it.
  • According to Amazon.com, this was published in February of 2015 & is available for viewing on Kindle for $2.99. BlueWater Comics publishes a variety of biographies and fictional entries, this story apparently depicts a meeting between the just-deceased Ian Fleming with his greatest fictional creation. Can't say I'd ever seen it before.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Reminds me of The Mis-Adventures of Adam West.
  • It may very well have been the same publisher.
  • Posts: 2,491
    ha...this seems like something that might be interesting..
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Posts: 2,535
    According to Amazon.com, this was published in February of 2015 & is available for viewing on Kindle for $2.99. BlueWater Comics publishes a variety of biographies and fictional entries, this story apparently depicts a meeting between the just-deceased Ian Fleming with his greatest fictional creation. Can't say I'd ever seen it before.

    Thanks! Yes, they are from Blue Water:

    george-reeves-bluewater-tribute.jpg

    2575867-adamwest_issue_zero.jpg

    reeve+1.jpg

    But I had no idea of the Fleming's one. It looks really interesting!!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Commenting just to remind everyone about Vargr. It's off to an excellent start.

    IMO nice compliment to SP whether you like SP or not.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Commenting just to remind everyone about Vargr. It's off to an excellent start.

    IMO nice compliment to SP whether you like SP or not.
    I second that, sir!

    To keep my fellow comic Bond fans up to date, here are the release dates of the following issues.
    Issue #2: December 2, 2015
    Issue #3: January 6, 2016

    The next three are yet to be revealed.
  • I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    If Dynamite's contract with Ian Fleming's estate is due to last for ten years, considering the publisher is going to release the issues monthly, then it's guaranteed we'd be getting 20 separate comic books, that is, of course, if each arc is given six issues.
  • Posts: 2,491
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
    Those I believe are comic strips. Dynamite did say they also have plans to adapt the novels into proper comic books.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
    Those I believe are comic strips. Dynamite did say they also have plans to adapt the novels into proper comic books.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
    Those I believe are comic strips. Dynamite did say they also have plans to adapt the novels into proper comic books.

    Yes I think they are working on an adaptation of CR right now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
    Those I believe are comic strips. Dynamite did say they also have plans to adapt the novels into proper comic books.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?
    Those I believe are comic strips. Dynamite did say they also have plans to adapt the novels into proper comic books.

    Yes I think they are working on an adaptation of CR right now.
    Yes indeed. Although, VARGR's continuity is on its own and CR among other novel adaptations won't be part of it. Warren Ellis is set to return for a second arc too right after VARGR.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,564
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?

    Before the movie series started, there was a British newspaper comic strip series. Those were generally fairly faithful to the novels although not always: for contractual reasons Thunderball ended rather abruptly with a caption: Bond finds and recovers the bombs, the bad guys all died, the end. Eventually, the series was revived with some newly-written stories created specifically for the strip. These comics were compiled into a series released by Titan Books beginning in the 1980s. More info on this topic is available here: https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/comics/
  • Posts: 2,491
    http://doubleosection.blogspot.gr/2015/11/dynamites-james-bond-more-exclusive.html

    These covers look really badass.

    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?

    Before the movie series started, there was a British newspaper comic strip series. Those were generally fairly faithful to the novels although not always: for contractual reasons Thunderball ended rather abruptly with a caption: Bond finds and recovers the bombs, the bad guys all died, the end. Eventually, the series was revived with some newly-written stories created specifically for the strip. These comics were compiled into a series released by Titan Books beginning in the 1980s. More info on this topic is available here: https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/comics/
    haha wait really ? Was it cause of the SPECTRE issue ?


  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Darn, those covers are outstanding! :-O
  • dragonsky wrote: »
    http://doubleosection.blogspot.gr/2015/11/dynamites-james-bond-more-exclusive.html

    These covers look really badass.

    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the novel adaptations. Maybe the only chance we'll get for a faithful Moonraker!

    Aren't there comics that are novel adaptations already ?

    Before the movie series started, there was a British newspaper comic strip series. Those were generally fairly faithful to the novels although not always: for contractual reasons Thunderball ended rather abruptly with a caption: Bond finds and recovers the bombs, the bad guys all died, the end. Eventually, the series was revived with some newly-written stories created specifically for the strip. These comics were compiled into a series released by Titan Books beginning in the 1980s. More info on this topic is available here: https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/comics/
    haha wait really ? Was it cause of the SPECTRE issue ?


    Yes, really. The Thunderball adaptation did indeed end in mid-sequence in pretty much that way. I'm not aware that any reason was ever officially given, but your guess is a good one.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Only read about eight pages so far of issue 1.

    Don't like it much.
    Full of graphic Kick Ass (the movie) type violence, half of a guy's hand is cut off, and people on drugs. I also thought Bond's opening dialogue was cheesy. Just felt off to me.

    Had zero Fleming vibe to me. Junkies don't connect with Bond's world to me.

    But I will press on and offer a full review tomorrow. I'll probably do a complete U turn and say "I loved it!" :D
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Only read about eight pages so far of issue 1.

    Don't like it much.
    Full of graphic Kick Ass (the movie) type violence, half of a guy's hand is cut off, and people on drugs. I also thought Bond's opening dialogue was cheesy. Just felt off to me.

    Had zero Fleming vibe to me. Junkies don't connect with Bond's world to me.

    But I will press on and offer a full review tomorrow. I'll probably do a complete U turn and say "I loved it!" :D

    Take some "green" man... and chill lol jk.

    You don't see maybe a tad of Risico or Moonraker in there?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Haven't read those Fleming books, pardon my ignorance! I think I'm getting less comfortable with really graphic violence just for violence's sake. I'd rather see a start with some cool stunt than Bond slicing off
    some guy's hand!

    The artwork is wonderful, though. I'll post a full review later this week.

  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    The junkies in the first couple of pages had to set the premise when one of them stated he's got the drug from a German, and it is something rather special. You know the rest...

    Something bad has been lurking on the streets of London that sends 007 to Berlin, so I was okay with them. So far it does sound like a good product to me.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Haven't read those Fleming books, pardon my ignorance! I think I'm getting less comfortable with really graphic violence just for violence's sake. I'd rather see a start with some cool stunt than Bond slicing off
    some guy's hand!

    The artwork is wonderful, though. I'll post a full review later this week.

    No quite alright.. hope you do enjoy.
Sign In or Register to comment.