Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Now I'm sure FLeiter is trolling. Or perhaps he really thinks Roger('s stuntman) jumped out of an airplane without a parachute in MR?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Does that mean that when people get shot in films they're not really wounded ?
    Hell ! I feel cheated now ! ;)
    FLeiter wrote: »

Next will be someone suggesting that Tommy did hold onto the side of a plane. That's as bad as the Fast and Furious airplane fight which had a runway the distance of Rome to Stockholm.

Cruise did do that. Eight times, in fact.

No...he didn't. He was strapped on. I'm sure you think you're walking on air, if not for the floor.

Son, the stunt as it was done was considered dangerous by any stuntman in the business and they are in awe with what Cruise does, regardless of what you think of him personally. The man does put the money spend on the screen and goes far beyond the call of duty in his stunts for the MI series. Anybody even the MI naysayers will admit that the man is really special in the lengths he goes in doing stuff for his movies.
    And I even go as far as claiming that Cruise might be one of the great movie-stars who really goes all the way for his fans in his movies and on the red carpet.
    Sark wrote: »
    Roger('s stuntman) jumped out of an airplane without a parachute in MR?

You mean he didn't? I feel so cheated now. Best go throw my copy of MR in the trash. ;) :D

SaintMark wrote: »

Next will be someone suggesting that Tommy did hold onto the side of a plane. That's as bad as the Fast and Furious airplane fight which had a runway the distance of Rome to Stockholm.

Cruise did do that. Eight times, in fact.

No...he didn't. He was strapped on. I'm sure you think you're walking on air, if not for the floor.

Son, the stunt as it was done was considered dangerous by any stuntman in the business and they are in awe with what Cruise does, regardless of what you think of him personally. The man does put the money spend on the screen and goes far beyond the call of duty in his stunts for the MI series. Anybody even the MI naysayers will admit that the man is really special in the lengths he goes in doing stuff for his movies.
    And I even go as far as claiming that Cruise might be one of the great movie-stars who really goes all the way for his fans in his movies and on the red carpet.

Couldn't agree more. I watched a YouTube video of his appearance on The Tonight Show promoting RN last night and he talked about the plane stunt. Yes, he was strapped on, but the stunt was still incredibly dangerous. Besides the obvious danger of the harness breaking, he was also bouncing against the fuselage at a rather high rate of speed. He was also hit in the ribs by some very tiny airborne object (he said it was a small rock, although I can't imagine he would know for sure at that speed and altitude with his focus elsewhere) that he said made him think he had broken his ribs. Had he been hit in the face, he said the damage could have been much more serious.

And he really held his breath for I think three minutes in the underwater scene.
    He said that he actually had to train to hold it close to six minutes (I think that's right), to accommodate the time it actually takes to get in the water and setup the shot before the cameras actually started rolling.
  • RC7RC7
    That was originally the plan but, as you can see in the movie, it isn't a one shot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sark wrote: »
    And he really held his breath for I think three minutes in the underwater scene.
    I've done that, but stationary- not swimming hard. If he really did that then he's the freakin' Man From Atlantis...
    RC7 wrote: »
    That was originally the plan but, as you can see in the movie, it isn't a one shot.

I never said it was a continuous shot, as it quite obviously isn't, but he still had to train to hold his breath for a significant amount of time (over six minutes, according to his interview with Jimmy Fallon).
  • RC7RC7
    dalton wrote: »

I never said it was a continuous shot, as it quite obviously isn't, but he still had to train to hold his breath for a significant amount of time (over six minutes, according to his interview with Jimmy Fallon).

Which is a shame given most of it is a combination of motion control and CGI.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

It's a great scene imho. Tense and very well conceived and shot, as were all the action scenes in that film.
    he still had to train to hold his breath for a significant amount of time (over six minutes, according to his interview with Jimmy Fallon).
    I find six minutes a bit hard to believe unless he hyperventilated on pure oxygen first...
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

It's a great scene imho. Tense and very well conceived and shot, as were all the action scenes in that film.

It would have been excellent had it been done as originally intended, as a one shot.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    he still had to train to hold his breath for a significant amount of time (over six minutes, according to his interview with Jimmy Fallon).
    I find six minutes a bit hard to believe unless he hyperventilated on pure oxygen first...

Just going by what he said on the show. He might have just been agreeing with Fallon, who led with the six-minute figure (although I suspect it was probably provided to him by Cruise's people), but he still had to train to hold his breath for a generous amount of time. A lot of other actors would send their stunt man into the tank and go grab a cup of coffee and watch on the monitor.

Roger was a master at that. He's rather flirt backstage than be stuck in a giant fishbowl. :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

It would have been excellent had it been done as originally intended, as a one shot.
    I didn't know about a one shot concept. That could certainly have been better, but not necessarily, as it would depend on how it was directed. It's not a be all or end all for me, because what we got was excellent as far as I was concerned - It kept me on the edge of my seat.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm currently wathing Ghost Protocl and the Cremlin CGI didn't age well :D
    I disagree. It looked that bad already when I saw it for the first time ;-).

Which is a shame given most of it is a combination of motion control and CGI.
    Mhm.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The army lost out on one of its greatest soldiers when Tom decided to devote his life to acting. The man is an absolute machine, and with every subsequent movie he just impresses me more. He really respects his audience and gives them a bang for their buck.
    The army lost out on one of its greatest soldiers when Tom decided to devote his life to acting. The man is an absolute machine, and with every subsequent movie he just impresses me more. He really respects his audience and gives them a bang for their buck.

The U.S. has had an all-volunteer armed forces for more than 40 years. Tommy 'the machine' could have enlisted at any time.

Has Tom confirmed he will be in the 6th film?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,015
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2016 Posts: 28,694

The U.S. has had an all-volunteer armed forces for more than 40 years. Tommy 'the machine' could have enlisted at any time.

Hunt's next impossible mission: finding you a sense of humor. B-)
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,015

Hunt's next impossible mission: finding you a sense of humor. B-) [/quote]

:D

In the next MI film Hunt finally takes that mask off to reveal a 54 year old face! :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want to see Hunt go to space. Mission Impossible's Moonraker.
    And Mission Impossible did go space once in the 1988 series so it is in the realm of possibility. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want to see Hunt go to space.
    Hopefully NOT hanging on to the exterior door of a shuttle-!
    ;)
    ;)
    That could accidently end the Franchise! =))
    ;)
    That could accidently end the Franchise! =))

"Tom, stop!"
    "No- I can do this."
    "NO, you can't!"
    " O'Donnell did it in Batman & Robin..."
    "NO, he really didn't for REAL!!"
    "THAT'S why this will be COOL!"
    "you're the boss...."
    "Exactly. Now when I get to the ISS tell them to prep for possible frostbite & keep the cameras rolling."
    "Via con dios...."
    Cowabunga! :))
    How about this? Go to the 49 sec. mark