'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I enjoyed the finale for the most part, however, I didn't like the scenes of
    Clara taking off in a Tardis (either have her return to die or let her live with no memory of the Doctor, although the Doctor forgetting was a decent touch).
    . All in all though, a great season of Doctor Who.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Having the Dr forget her was like the Star Trek episode, in which
    Spock wipes Kirk's memory of an android he'd fallen in love with.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This last episode was a strange but satisfying one. This was surely one of my favourite seasons yet, very experimental but in a great way. They took risks and were rewarded. Long live the Doctor! Long live Capaldi!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    So relieved to see the screwdriver return after the stupid sunglasses.

Absolutely. Now to get rid of that bloody guitar...

Nah, loved the glasses (made him look like Dylan circa 1965), loved the guitar (the Doctor's gotta have a hobby), and of course a new sonic screwdriver just in time for Christmas!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 269

Nah, loved the glasses (made him look like Dylan circa 1965), loved the guitar (the Doctor's gotta have a hobby), and of course a new sonic screwdriver just in time for Christmas!
    I must be the only one who likes the sonic glasses. It changes from the screwdrivers that are waved as magic wands at every occasion.

As the War Doctor said "Put these tools down. They're screwdriver, not guns. What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them ?"

The guitar is a nice touch as well. It's good to have a doctor with a hobby besides the tardis and impressing companion. It's like the other doctors with the car, the jellybabies or the bow tie.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Especially the guitar. I'm not against the Sonic being given a break for a bit, I just didn't see the point of replacing it with the glasses. Thankfully, that's now a moot point.
    Maybe Capaldi could do a duet with McCoy. Guitar and spoons might make a good combination.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Submit that suggestion to Moffat for the series 9 theme. "Theme arrangement by Doctors 7 & 12". ;)
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,827
    As if Moffat ever listened to fans anyway. But McCoy played backup spoons to Daphne Ashbrook once at a convention. Guess on which song.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I haven't seen the one with Daphne Ashbrook, but I have seen the one of Sylv playing the spoons on Sophie Aldred:

Here's Daphne Ashbrook, with one very special backup singer :

:)) great videos.
    I like the new Dr Who, but i do think some of the stories go in very weird directions.
    Sometimes i think what the hell is going on.

As i was a kid in the 60's, to me i still like the Monster type stories best, and what the hell is Dr Who doing now with a rock guitar. Bleedin hell, anyway Peter Capaldi is more appropriate as a Dr Who, than that kid Matt Smith ever was!

Could not agree more!
    Bring back the recorder. ;)
    Just out :

legends.jpg

I wasn't too far off in my predictions about a spin-off. Except I imagined it as a series of audio dramas for Big Finish.
    I wouldn't rule that out. Big Finish has been growing massively recently, adding John Hurt and David Tennant to their line up.
    The trend of classic Doctors reading speeches originally given by the modern Doctors continues. Anyone want to see the 8th Doctor deliver the passionate speech from The Zygon Inversion...?

All right, as promised in the "Last TV Show You Saw" thread, I'll now give you another installment in my "It's not easy being a french Whovian series". So, when France 4 announced that they would air series 9 very early (yesterday, in fact), I was overjoyed. I was ready to block my saturday evenings (as of 20.50, french prime time) to see it on my big screen TV and in HD (instead of on my computer in low definition). But I was soon disappointed. If the first two episodes have indeed been aired on prime time, it will not be the case for the rest. Don't worry, we're not talking about Otaku o'Clock here, but close. The next two episodes will air on saturday january the 2nd at...

17.10 ! Yes, you're reading that right !

television.telerama.fr/tele/chaine-tv/france-4,78.php?&date=2016-01-02

What the smeg are the programmers thinking ? Granted, the viewing figures in France are not setting the world on fire (319 000 viewers last night, according to my informations), but to demote the series as an afternoon show like that after giving it the honor of prime time... No I don't understand. If somebody has an explanation, I would like to hear it.
    Could be a reaction to the criticism that the show has faced in the UK, criticism that the show has been on too late. I think at one point, an episode finished a 21:00.

I'm currently listening to 'We Are The Daleks'. Though I prefer the mysterious side of the 7th Doctor, I still found myself enjoying this story. And Bonnie Langford is finally given a story that makes full use of Mel's computing backround.
    Yesterday, I listened to 'Damaged Goods'. It's one thing to hear the new 7th Doctor theme on it's but, but in the context of the story... I can't wait to hear it in more stories. Having not read any of the New Adventures, I wasn't quite prepared for how sombre the story would turn out to be. I don't mean that as a complaint, as I am open to Big Finish experimenting.
  • So what did everyone think of the Christmas special? I actually liked it a lot. It was fun yet bittersweet without being overly depressing like Last Christmas.
    (But I might be biased because River's one of my favorite characters.)
    I enjoyed it too, a great mix of fun and excitement. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I enjoyed the Christmas special a lot, it's always good to see River, as well as all the previous incarnations of the Doctor.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Thought it was great. Love the dynamic between Capaldi & Kingston. Also, she is really, quite hot.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I thought it was neither good nor bad but fear that casual viewers (who the show needs to impress at Xmas) would have been underwhelmed or confused. Although I love Dr Who, I prefer some eras of the series to others. I don't care for Hartnell at all but the Troughton era was very imaginative and impressive. The early Pertwee eps were fantastic and the first 2-3 seasons of Tom Baker were very good. The late 70s were a bit iffy and the 80s were pretty poor until the final two seasons, where they got it where it should be before it was bloody axed. Then, RTD did very, very good stuff but Moffat has kind of made it a bit too up its own arse for my liking.
    I have a pet theory here - I wonder if Bond fans prefer Dr Who UNIT stories to others - I think we do. Who UNIT stories are the like the best of both worlds - like a sane version of Moonraker - where you can mix British action adventure with sci-fi. Loved the first few years with Pertwee and subsequent UNIT stories. Can you imagine Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Pertwee and James Bond in the same story? Fangasms all round!
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I have a pet theory here - I wonder if Bond fans prefer Dr Who UNIT stories to others - I think we do. Who UNIT stories are the like the best of both worlds - like a sane version of Moonraker - where you can mix British action adventure with sci-fi. Loved the first few years with Pertwee and subsequent UNIT stories. Can you imagine Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Pertwee and James Bond in the same story? Fangasms all round!

Pertwee's Doctor was quite Bond-like, or at least I think so. With UNIT acting as his MI6.
    Absolutely and I think it was something that Terrance Dicks commented on in some documentary on one of the DVDs.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I was waiting to see what others thought of the Xmas special. I had a had time enjoying it. It was just ... not something I could relish or get into much. I enjoyed last year's Xmas special very much (I did not find it depressing). This just wasn't fun for me, even though I really wanted to like River Song.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I thought it was awful save for the last ten minutes. But then again, I haven't really enjoyed a Christmas special since "Voyage of the Damned".