What would your RottenTomatoes Critics Rating be for "SPECTRE"? (just your percentage only)

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,756
    Cloud007 wrote: »
    I can definitely respect not liking the film, for one thing, It's very different from most Bond movies. For me though, it's an absolute pleasure every time I pop in the Blu-ray. The opera sequence in particular is simply exquisite.

Agreed. The film has its flaws. But I love the imperfections of it. I love Bond. As a kid I was blown away by this film, even though I didn't get the story. What it lacked in story, it brought in emotional development. Bond and Camile have a lot of emotion together, and I find it heartbreaking when they go their own ways. It's not exaggerated, and just when the audience ACTUALLY wants more, they director parts them and it means something. It doesn't feel forced.

The action and pacing were good, the locations are brought to life, and the homages feel just right. This movie doesn't waste a single second.
  • Post percentages please :-). Later on I'm going to calculate the average.
    I can definitely respect not liking the film, for one thing, It's very different from most Bond movies. For me though, it's an absolute pleasure every time I pop in the Blu-ray. The opera sequence in particular is simply exquisite.

Agreed. The film has its flaws. But I love the imperfections of it. I love Bond. As a kid I was blown away by this film, even though I didn't get the story. What it lacked in story, it brought in emotional development. Bond and Camile have a lot of emotion together, and I find it heartbreaking when they go their own ways. It's not exaggerated, and just when the audience ACTUALLY wants more, they director parts them and it means something. It doesn't feel forced.

Question is sir. What would your rating for this film be?

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    mepal1 wrote: »

I'd give it, objectively, an 80% (changed my mind).
  • mepal1 wrote: »

I'd give it, objectively, an 80% (changed my mind).

We know your percentage for other Bond films with Craig. This topic is about coming up with your own Tomatometer percentage for "SPECTRE" :-).

• Agreed. The film has its flaws. But I love the imperfections of it. I love Bond. As a kid I was blown away by this film, even though I didn't get the story. What it lacked in story, it brought in emotional development. Bond and Camile have a lot of emotion together, and I find it heartbreaking when they go their own ways. It's not exaggerated, and just when the audience ACTUALLY wants more, they director parts them and it means something. It doesn't feel forced.

The action and pacing were good, the locations are brought to life, and the homages feel just right. This movie doesn't waste a single second.

A fellow weirdo

=D> . Glad to know someone else enjoys the film.

Apologies for derailing the thread @Gustav_Graves. 67% for Spectre and though it's not on topic, 90% for QoS.
    I would also give CR a 98%, an even 100% wouldn't be out of place either. It's one of the best action movies ever made.
  • I would also give CR a 98%, an even 100% wouldn't be out of place either. It's one of the best action movies ever made.

I find 98% or 100% too high, for both CR and SF.

Fact is, there have been movies that we completely have forgotten:
    "Grand Prix" (1966)
    "Bullet (1968)
    "The French Connection" (1973)
    "North By Northwest"
    "The Dark Knight"
    I would also give CR a 98%, an even 100% wouldn't be out of place either. It's one of the best action movies ever made.

I find 98% or 100% too high, for both CR and SF.

Fact is, there have been movies that we completely have forgotten:
    "Grand Prix" (1966)
    "Bullet (1968)
    "The French Connection" (1973)
    "North By Northwest"
    "The Dark Knight"

The Dark Knight is forgotten? The majority of people would call that the best comic book movie ever made (myself included)

:))
    62% for me.
    As I understand it, a fresh review is one in which the reviewer states a positive overall view of the film or recommends it, or on balance, the review appears to be positive. I cannot, therefore, see how any review for Spectre can be negative, unless the reviewer either just doesn't get Bond or is influenced by some kind of agenda.

I mean, this is James Bond. Even if it sucked by James Bond standards, and had many faults, it is still going to be superior to most other action movies on many levels. With this in mind, I have to award the movie 100% positive. Every review for Spectre should have been positive! I just do not think there is any justification not to give the movie a review that is anything but positive, so my Tomato rating is 100%
  • BondBug wrote: »
    As I understand it, a fresh review is one in which the reviewer states a positive overall view of the film or recommends it, or on balance, the review appears to be positive. I cannot, therefore, see how any review for Spectre can be negative, unless the reviewer either just doesn't get Bond or is influenced by some kind of agenda.

I mean, this is James Bond. Even if it sucked by James Bond standards, and had many faults, it is still going to be superior to most other action movies on many levels. With this in mind, I have to award the movie 100% positive. Every review for Spectre should have been positive! I just do not think there is any justification not to give the movie a review that is anything but positive, so my Tomato rating is 100%

I strongly disagree with those statements. Simply because it's James Bond doesn't mean that it will be a good film or even above average. In fact, I would say that precisely because it's Bond that we should always demand for an extremely high standard. You don't necessarily have to have an agenda to find faults or even dislike a film.

A fellow weirdo

=D> . Glad to know someone else enjoys the film.

Apologies for derailing the thread @Gustav_Graves. 67% for Spectre and though it's not on topic, 90% for QoS.

You'll find there are many "weirdoes" on this site. ;) QoS has its own appreciation thread you know. Check it out! :)

Its fan community is not huge, but it does exist. I couldn't bring myself to rate it as highly as you, but I certainly enjoy it for what it is. Not least its uniqueness.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Maybe some reviewers, like some of us, like me, just didn't like it much. I guess I don't understand Bond or have an agenda.

I found a nice comment yesterday here. It was a reaction to the rather positive review from DenOfGeek:
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/spectre/37455/spectre-review
    exactly..too many people listen to reviews or forum discussions about movies they have never seen and form their ideas that way, which is flawed

• Current Tomatometer rating in here after counting 20 votes:

A rounded percentage of 78%.
  • jobo wrote: »

You'll find there are many "weirdoes" on this site. ;) QoS has its own appreciation thread you know. Check it out! :)

Its fan community is not huge, but it does exist. I couldn't bring myself to rate it as highly as you, but I certainly enjoy it for what it is. Not least its uniqueness.

Well, I'm really glad to know. Searching around the internet it seemed like the dislike for the movie was pretty much universal, glad to know I was wrong.

I'll be sure to check out the thread, thanks!.

• I think especially on here some fans are perhaps asking a bit too much when it comes to the quality of a film.

There has always been an element of ridiculousness to Bond films. And whereas in the past we more or less accepted it, in today's social-media world 'we' have become much more verbal and are way more the self-proclaimed experts who think 'we' can do much better work than the actual filmmakers.

I always found that notion rather disrespectful. There's nothing wrong to have criticism. Actually it's good. And I firmly believe we Bond fans have very good ideas about the films. But if you are one of those 'self-proclaimed experts', and if you analize a movie to death, then probably all future Bond films will become disappointments for you.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 60
    I would give it a 65%.

EDIT: Nevermind, I feel as though that's a bit too harsh, I'll change it to 70%
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BondBug wrote: »

I strongly disagree with those statements. Simply because it's James Bond doesn't mean that it will be a good film or even above average. In fact, I would say that precisely because it's Bond that we should always demand for an extremely high standard. You don't necessarily have to have an agenda to find faults or even dislike a film.
    I agree with you.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Maybe some reviewers, like some of us, like me, just didn't like it much. I guess I don't understand Bond or have an agenda.
    I don't think you have an agenda @Birdleson and I respect your opinion of the film.
  • MaidenDeth wrote: »
    I would give it a 65%.

EDIT: Nevermind, I feel as though that's a bit too harsh, I'll change it to 70%

Hey listen. If you think it's 65% you should go for your own opinion ok :-)? I don't want you to feel 'forced' because everyone else chooses a higher percentage.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • HASEROT wrote: »

Die Another Day........ i'll just let that sit there for you.

There are people in here who have SP 24th right now, making DAD more superior than SP. Well, I'm happy to use Blofeld's torture devise on them. And I use a longer drill. Goes in the left ear / skull, leaves the right ear / skull.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, I know a few prefer DAD to SP. I personally disagree, but that's fine by me. To each their own.
  • Birdleson wrote: »

There are people in here who have SP 24th right now, making DAD more superior than SP. Well, I'm happy to use Blofeld's torture devise on them. And I use a longer drill. Goes in the left ear / skull, leaves the right ear / skull.

I am one of those people. After my first viewing of SPECTRE I placed it at 22, above DIE ANOTHER DAY and MOONRAKER, almost out of habit (thinking surely nothing can go below those two, that's where they go). But after seeing it (SP) again, I reassessed. I had no fun with SP, it was a joyless experience for me (somewhat better with the 3rd and 4th viewings, where I blocked out parts that really got under my skin). Yes, in all technical ways and on paper it is a better film than those other two, but, despite my issues with large pieces of MR and DAD, I, often enough, had and have a lot of fun with them. At this point, I cannot say the same about SP. Hence, the bottom slot.

Well it's your opinion. Have fun with it. I hope EON listens to you so that Bond 25 will be more fun for you. So sorry for you.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are saying.

Are you saying in your second sentence that James Bond movies can be so substandard in the action genre that you would not recommend some of the films if you were writing a review for public consumption?

Or in your next sentence, are you saying that the movies shouldn't be reviewed on their own merits, but based on how good other Bond movies are?

A good review shouldn't be about whether the reviewer likes a movie or not, but whether the reviewer is recommending a movie or on balance giving it a positive review. I don't like war movies, that doesn't mean, I am going to give every war movie a negative review, unless I had an agenda.
    I still maintain that first 1:24 teaser trailer is among the best Bond films I have ever seen. It floored me. That will always be my SPECTRE.
    I agree completely. That trailer was almost (almost....) as good as the first teaser for SF, which is still my benchmark trailer from the DC era
    I'll have to watch that again. I don't remember it.