SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• In all honesty, all I'm reading now in various topics is about all the flaws "SPECTRE" has. I really have to search hard to find some more elaborate review that goes into detail about Daniel Craig's performance as 007 in SP.

Because as soon as some one says something quite positive, there's a guy who comes and criticizes him for not being positive enough, for not saying how incredibly great SF is compared to the incredible rubbish of the Bond franchise until then.

So you're left with the negative persons that you keep on fueling every day by wanting to "prove" them they're wrong.

Oh and btw, the French reviewers are very coherent with the North-America reviewers. So you'll have to do some French hating too.

....giphy.gif
    ;-)

Thanks for posting your screensaver.

Nono @Thunderfinger. I do it in real-life. And I do it better than Mr Silva :> . Wanna feel it ;-)?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Let's have a look at the top grossing blockbusters of this year so far :-) (Monday December 1st 2015):

01. --> $ 1,668,912,312: "Jurassic World" (Production budget: $ 215 Million. Now the highest grossing film of 2015, 3rd highest grossing film ever)??)
    $ 652,198,011: Box office USA
    $ 228,740,000: Box office China
    $ 787,974,301: Rest of the world

02. --> $ 1,514,827,481: "Furious 7" (Production budget: $ 275 Million. They just passed "The Avengers" in The 5th highest grossing film on the 'All Time Global Box Office Ranking'.)
    $ 352,786,830 : Box office USA
    $ 390,910,000: Box office China
    $ 771,130,651: Rest of the world

03. --> $ 1,405,035,767: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (Production budget: $ 340 Million. Now the 6th film in the global 'All Time' ranking!)
    $ 459,005,868: Box office USA
    $ 240,110,000: Box office China
    $ 705,919,899: Rest of the world

04. --> $ 1,157,075,712: "Minions" (Production budget: $ 150 Million. Passed "Despicable Me 2"s global box office of $ 970 Million. Now the 4th '1 Billion Dollar' film of 2015 )
    $ 335,846,465: Box office USA
    $ 068,490,000: Box office China
    $ 752,739,247: Rest of the world

And let's not forget the "Spy Films" of 2015! Now with updated figures on "SPECTRE", "American Ultra", "Bridge Of Spies", "The Transporter: Refueled" and "Hitman: Agent 47":

06. --> $ 749,625,179: "James Bond 24 - SPECTRE" (Production budget: $ 245 Million. So far slightly less succesful than "Skyfall", but still with inflation correction more succesful than "YOLT" and "LALD", and probably "GF" too. Considering the fact that since August the TOP 4 of this list -"Furious 7, "Avengers 2"- still grossed $5 to $10 Million globally, "SPECTRE" should now easily pass the $950 Million at the end of February 2016)
    $ 176,125,179: Box office USA
    $ 084,094,000: Box office China
    $ 489,406,000: Rest of the world

07. --> $ 682,330,139: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (Production budget: $ 200 Million. Slightly less succesful than "M:I 4 - Ghost Protocol", but succesful in China)
    $ 195,042,377: Box office USA
    $ 136,760,000: Box office China
    $ 350,527,762: Rest of the world

16. --> $ 414,351,546: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (Production budget: $ 115 Million. The surprise box office hit of 2015. Part 2 is in pre-production)
    $ 128,261,724: Box office USA
    $ 074,667,000: Box office China
    $ 211,422,822: Rest of the world

19. --> $ 328,130,237: "Taken 3" (Production budget: $ 83 Million. Not as succesful as "Taken 2", but still grossing well past the $ 300 Million)
    $ 089,256,424: Box office USA
    $ 032,200,000: Box office China
    $ 206,673,813: Rest of the world

26. --> $ 235,666,219: "Spy" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. As of now the most succesful film ever featuring Melissa McCarthy)
    $ 110,825,712: Box office USA
    *not opened yet in China*
    $ 124,840,507: Rest of the world

44. --> $ 108,145,109: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (Production budget: $ 120 Million. A flop. Warner Bros. lost considerable amount of money on this film)
    $ 045,445,109: Box office USA
    $ 062,700,000: Rest of the world

49. --> $ 095,474,757: "Bridge Of Spies" (Production budget: $ 40 Million. Not a flop just yet, but certainly one of the lesser succesful Spielberg films, if compared with "Lincoln". "Captain Phillips" also did better at the box office)
    $ 067,563,007: Box office USA
    $ 027,911,750: Rest of the world

59. --> $ 082,347,656: "Hitman: Agent 47" (Production budget: $ 35 Million. Not really a flop, as most of the budget has been earned back. It still has to open in China)
    $ 022,467,450: Box office USA
    $ 059,880,206: Rest of the world

75. --> $ 052,148,770: "The Transporter Refueled" (Production budget: $ 45 Million. And again, with China even these 'flops' can be saved a bit)
    $ 016,029,670: Box office USA
    $ 019,119,100: Box office China
    $ 017,000,000: Rest of the world

78. --> $ 047,275,695: "Mortdecai" (Production budget: $ 85 Million. Call it a funnier spoof of "Ocean's Eleven" and "The Saint". But, a big flop)
    $ 007,696,134: Box office USA
    $ 003,530,000: Box office China
    $ 036,049,561: Rest of the world

105. --> $ 019,472,471: "Blackhat" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. And therefore one of the biggest flops of 2015. Entire budget is lost)
    $ 007,889,395: Box office USA
    $ 011,583,076: Rest of the world

111. --> $ 015,569,265: "The Gunman" (Production budget: $ 60 Million. Even a star cast containing Sean Penn, Javier Bardem and Idris Elba couldn't help this film)
    $ 010,664,749: Box office USA
    $ 004,904,516: Rest of the world

123. --> $ 015,440,985: "American Ultra" (Production budget: $ 28 Million. You've got flops, and you have frikkin' big flops. This is the latter)
    $ 014,440,985: Box office USA
    $ 001,000,000: Rest of the world

An impressive box office year indeed. "JW" crossed the $1.6 Billion, "F7" (non-3D, non-Sci-fi) crossed the $1.5 Billion and "Avengers 2" crossed the $1.4 Billion. With "Minions" now joining the '1 Billion Club' with $1.1 Billion, it becomes very likely that "SPECTRE" will enter the TOP 5 of highest grossing films of 2015 before "Star Wars" premieres.

And from http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-12-01-north-america-3-day-weekend-actuals-mockingjay-part-2-comfortably-remains-1-with-520m-the-good-dinosaur-underperforms-with-392m-creed-strong-in-first-round-with-296m-victor-frankenstein-lifeless-with-25m the weekend actuals, with very good news for "SPECTRE":
    Spectre claimed fourth place with a three-day take of $12.89 million. The latest installment of Sony and MGM's James Bond franchise was down 14 percent from last weekend. That represented a very solid holiday hold for the film, especially given the strong start of Creed. Spectre has grossed $176.13 million in 24 days. That places the film 16 percent ahead of the $151.62 million 24-day take of 2008's Quantum of Solace and 28 percent behind the $245.59 million 24-day gross of 2012's Skyfall. Spectre took in $18.22 million over the five-day frame.

PRODUCTION BUDGETS 2015
    The production budget figures are more accurate estimates from boxoffice.com, but they do include marketing and publicity as well. Disney's "Avengers 2" has so far the highest production budget ever, with $340 Million, followed by "Furious 7"s $ 275 Million.
    What is star wars predicted to make 2 billion?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Star Wars is going to make enough money at the box office for Disney to be able to build a real life death star.
  • I think "Titanic" should fear for its 2nd place on the global all time box office chart. Which now stands at $2,186,772,302
    So Disney is gonna have a 2 billion dollar movie every year.That's their plan with star wars right?
    Bond's B/O is ticking over nicely, lets just see where it ends up?
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm starting to think it will cross the $950 Million. Let's not forget that "SPECTRE" will probably in cinema's across the globe until end of February/early March. And those last 1.5 months it's not going to gross 1 Dollar a day.

• Star Wars will be big, yeah, but let's not go overboard yet. Only the first Star Wars has made it past $2 billion, and that includes multiple re-releases. Adjusted to today's money, Phantom menace made $1.3 bil. It really should be beating Jurassic world's 1.5, but Titanic (which is 2.8 bil if adjusted to 2015) is probably safe.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm starting to think it will cross the $950 Million. Let's not forget that "SPECTRE" will probably in cinema's across the globe until end of February/early March. And those last 1.5 months it's not going to gross 1 Dollar a day.

$950 mil, is too much of a hurdle now...............there is no way SP is gonna gross another $200 mil.

The Chinese gross is dwindling rapidly, and film can only play upto Dec 7th, as this is when China stops showing non-Chinese films. The final gross there is going to be somewhere between $86-90 mil, which is what the Chinese box office followers have said all along.

In the US the daily gross for Monday was $712,078, and the grosses uptill Thu will be similar.

Don't forget each week SP will be losing a large number of theatres, in all territories.

I'am not being a killjoy, just being realsitic, coz i too would like SP to achieve an even higher gross..................and unless the film does spectacular business in Japan, then this just aint gonna happen.

My estimate final BO gross for SP is somewhere around $875 mil.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

$950 mil, is too much of a hurdle now...............there is no way SP is gonna gross another $200 mil.

The Chinese gross is dwindling rapidly, and film can only play upto Dec 7th, as this is when China stops showing non-Chinese films. The final gross there is going to be somewhere between $86-90 mil, which is what the Chinese box office followers have said all along.

In the US the daily gross for Monday was $712,078, and the grosses uptill Thu will be similar.

Don't forget each week SP will be losing a large number of theatres, in all territories.

I'am not being a killjoy, just being realsitic, coz i too would like SP to achieve an even higher gross..................and unless the film does spectacular business in Japan, then this just aint gonna happen.

You have to divide all markets eh. Every country...
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Star Wars will be big, yeah, but let's not go overboard yet. Only the first Star Wars has made it past $2 billion, and that includes multiple re-releases. Adjusted to today's money, Phantom menace made $1.3 bil. It really should be beating Jurassic world's 1.5, but Titanic (which is 2.8 bil if adjusted to 2015) is probably safe.

I think some "estimates" for Star Wars are a bit exaggerated, but it does have the original cast and a much larger international market in it's favor. We went from having only 2 movies gross a billion internationally to two doing it in the same year.

Tubes wrote: »
    Star Wars will be big, yeah, but let's not go overboard yet. Only the first Star Wars has made it past $2 billion, and that includes multiple re-releases. Adjusted to today's money, Phantom menace made $1.3 bil. It really should be beating Jurassic world's 1.5, but Titanic (which is 2.8 bil if adjusted to 2015) is probably safe.

I think some "estimates" for Star Wars are a bit exaggerated, but it does have the original cast and a much larger international market in it's favor. We went from having only 2 movies gross a billion internationally to two doing it in the same year.

'Screen Daily' the UK film trade paper.................stated recently that SW7 is expected to surpass SF as the No.1 film in the UK all-time chart.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tracking-to-be-biggest-film-ever-at-uk-cinemas/5097401.article
    /\ This would not surprise me at all.
    mepal1 wrote: »

Yes, i know, but each week the worldwide gross for the film gets reduced by about 50%.

• mepal1 wrote: »

Yes, i know, but each week the worldwide gross for the film gets reduced by about 50%.

Let's see how it goes....
    @Gustav_Graves, thanks for researching and posting all the latest BO data relating to Bond. It takes time to gather all that detail, and it's interesting to read. I also enjoyed the linked article above on the Huffington Post as it really nailed a couple of SP issues, like how it has really done very good BO despite the perceptions in some of the press, and also I liked how it brought up the issue about some overly negative US reviews. I hope the writer follows up on that with his thoughts. I still think the leaks created a narrative for some lazy press. My favorfite is still that idiot, Rex Reed complaining about the empty streets during the car chase in New York CIty.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

'Screen Daily' the UK film trade paper.................stated recently that SW7 is expected to surpass SF as the No.1 film in the UK all-time chart.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tracking-to-be-biggest-film-ever-at-uk-cinemas/5097401.article

An American film passing Bond as UK's number one grosser? What's wrong with you people?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wonder if SW7 is going to live up to the hype. Trailers look magnificent, but it sure has a lot to live up to.

When watching Hunger Games today (which I really enjoyed by the way) I saw a trailer for the new Point Break remake (the original had Patrick Swayze & Keannu Reaves). The action in that looks incredible. Really worthy of Bond (at least from the trailers). I'll surely be checking that out.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wonder if SW7 is going to live up to the hype. Trailers look magnificent, but it sure has a lot to live up to.

When watching Hunger Games today (which I really enjoyed by the way) I saw a trailer for the new Point Break remake (the original had Patrick Swayze & Keannu Reaves). The action in that looks incredible. Really worthy of Bond (at least from the trailers). I'll surely be checking that out.

I haven't seen Hunger Games yet. I've been slacking :(.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

An American film passing Bond as UK's number one grosser? What's wrong with you people?

I know...............but Star Wars appeals to all peoples, from most cultures for humans between the ages of 6-106 worldwide. :)

I know...............but Star Wars appeals to all peoples, from most cultures for humans between the ages of 6-106 worldwide. :)

Yea true ...but I want Bond #1 :((
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098

Yea true ...but I want Bond #1 :((

.........and so do i........but unfortunately there are a lot of storm-troopers in the world.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I was never a big Star Wars fan. I find the original trilogy quite dull tbh. The first two are okay, and the production design is amazing.

The less said about the prequels the better. I've never watched them all the way through, just caught glimpses and every scene I've watched has been an abomination against cinema.

I'll probably see this new one at some point though. Just for the hell of it. JJ Abrams is okay but not sure he'll match Empire for depth and drama.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I'm not fond of JJ Abrams's work (particularly with STAR TREK), but that hasn't stopped me from being swept aboard the hype train.

SP has officially passed $750 million worldwide with it's updated grosses in the US/Canada and China this week. The next two weeks will be important as it will dictate how fast cinema owners will ditch it for newer fare if SP doesn't keeps it's auditoriums occupied. Keeping those showings will lead to a bigger holiday gross and a better chance to go beyond $800 million worldwide and $200 million domestic.

China likely will wrap up in a week, with SP grossing at least $23 million more than SF. Not huge compared with other big Hollywood blockbusters, but the biggest Bond has seen in China. With the increased prowess of China at the box office, EON might dabble with 3D for it and other markets with the next one.
    I like SW but I'm not a fanatic. I may or may not see in the cinema.

There is a nostalgia element to SW like Bond. But I can take it of leave it now.
    I'll surely be seeing it. Too much history for me to miss. I have an IMAX ticket booked for the 2nd week (thought I'd let the diehards have a go first). I'll probably see it twice unless it's incredible, in which case a third showing may be in order.

My biggest concern is I have to sit through the prequels in preparation. I can deal with Phantom Menace (the kid was good imho, despite Jar Jar) but when Hayden comes in for the 2nd one, that's when it's going to be torture.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll surely be seeing it. Too much history for me to miss. I have an IMAX ticket booked for the 2nd week (thought I'd let the diehards have a go first). I'll probably see it twice unless it's incredible, in which case a third showing may be in order.

My biggest concern is I have to sit through the prequels in preparation. I can deal with Phantom Menace (the kid was good imho, despite Jar Jar) but when Hayden comes in for the 2nd one, that's when it's going to be torture.
    Says who? Pop in the original trilogy and then be done with it, I say. The holiday season is not a time for self torture, my friend.
    Says who? Pop in the original trilogy and then be done with it, I say. The holiday season is not a time for self torture, my friend.
    You have a point. I forgot that this is just a straight follow on from the classic three. Done. Thanks @Brady.
    You have a point. I forgot that this is just a straight follow on from the classic three. Done. Thanks @Brady.

Exactly, the most relevant events/characters mentioned in Episode 7 will be found in the originals, i.e, the ones everyone loves, and less the prequels, which would be akin to ancient history at that point in the film's universe and not at all in the cinema-going public's interest anyway. Hell, I read Abrams was even considering throwing in a shot of Jar Jar's skeletal remains in Ep. 7, so if that doesn't clue you in to his allegiance to the originals over the prequels, nothing will. ;)