Goodbye to Judi Dench? (Contains Skyfall Spoilers)

Comments

I reckon Anthony Stewart Head would be a good choice.
    actually yeah Anthony Head would be a great M actually....
    Jean Luc Picard for Q? Anyone? Or is there a thread for that already?
    I'm willing to bet SkyFall is going to be Dench's last. She's great, but she has been around since 1996. That's pushing 16 years with next year's release.
  • colin firth as the next M

And I've been sick of judi after CR. Having her used more in TWINE was new and original but I feel like I've been seeing too much of her the past couple of films, one of the reasons I have doubts about skyfall is because its an M focused plot (although ttaht just makes me surer that she's leaving)
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 2,782
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

We've got a new Q. He could be an interesting Moneypenny.
    Judi has got to go, I can't stand any more ham acting from her, Shakespearean asides, looks and scotch don't work lady. Give it up and leave Bond alone please.

She'll be around as long as she is wanted by EON and they realise that she's an excellent actress that actually lifts the acting quite considerable. This is the one point I give EON credit for that they don't cave in on the boys that have a tough time seeing a lady in charge.
    My guess would be that with a new 007 she'll depart most likely. That could be as early as Bond24 of course.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    She'll be around as long as she is wanted by EON and they realise that she's an excellent actress that actually lifts the acting quite considerable. This is the one point I give EON credit for that they don't cave in on the boys that have a tough time seeing a lady in charge.
    My guess would be that with a new 007 she'll depart most likely. That could be as early as Bond24 of course.

it's not about boys - it's that as an actor she isn't right for the role - never has been.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,686
    The problem isn't that Dench is a woman, is that she just doesn't impose any authority next to Craig. Dench seems very petite next to him, she'd pose no threat to his work if he went total bananas. With the way Craig Bond acts, and I hope it stops in Bond 23 and he relaxes and enjoys himself more, you atleast need an M that has a credible authority figure next to someone with such petulant problem with authority. Can you imagine Connery Bond or Dalton Bond listening to any of Dench's psychobabble ? Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig all need a Bernard Lee type character to counterbalance their manliness and ruthless personality. Dench only mixes well with Moore or Brosnan (mind you, I wouldn't want Dench's psychobable nonsense ruining the magistral Moore outings).
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Dench only mixes well with Moore or Brosnan (mind you, I wouldn't want Dench's psychobable nonsense ruining the magistral Moore outings).

Even so Moore's Bond had a way of humoring his superiors in a way that Bernard Lee at least put up with knowing that Bond was a cheeky kind of guy. Dench's M is too 'uppity' to have any sense of humor at all. She just comes across as some evil headmaster. In her very first scene with Bond, she essentially belittles Bond. Bernard Lee's M would have never done this. He would always grant Bond a gentlemanly respect, but would let him know who's boss.

• SAMSAM
    To be honest, Judi Dench is a highly accomplished actress; though never excelled in my opinion as M (a complete miscast).

Bernard Lee was the definitive M and I honestly believe (not being sexist) that a male M would be best for future reference.
    The problem isn't that Dench is a woman, is that she just doesn't impose any authority next to Craig. Dench seems very petite next to him, she'd pose no threat to his work if he went total bananas.

She would probably have him liquidated/shot whatever. You think that authority comes from ??????? Petite folks cannot be dangerous???

Admit it you are just sexist and cannot stand it that a male M is not around. Bernard Lee was brilliant but I would not want a copycat, Dench is far better than that.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    SaintMark wrote:
    The problem isn't that Dench is a woman, is that she just doesn't impose any authority next to Craig. Dench seems very petite next to him, she'd pose no threat to his work if he went total bananas.

She would probably have him liquidated/shot whatever. You think that authority comes from ??????? Petite folks cannot be dangerous???

Admit it you are just sexist and cannot stand it that a male M is not around. Bernard Lee was brilliant but I would not want a copycat, Dench is far better than that.

So @DaltonCraig007... does that mean you'd walk right up to Joe Pesci and give him a kick to the shin?... lol
    :D
  • Those photos on the rooftop of the Whitehall building clearly show Harris handing Craig an urn, no?

Therefore, Dench's 'M' will be no more!
    Tantallon wrote:
    Those photos on the rooftop of the Whitehall building clearly show Harris handing Craig an urn, no?

Therefore, Dench's 'M' will be no more!

What are you smoking?
  • Seems quite logical to me; this is near the end of the movie, we already know that Dench is at the end of her contract with this film, Morgan said that Bond 23 has a 'shocking' story, or 'hook', and why wouldn't Bond scatter her ashes over the place in London where she has always worked?
    Excellent theory.

It's just let down by one problem: it's not an urn. It's a black box.

And even if it was an urn, there is nothing to say it would specificlly contain M's ashes.
  • Just speculating!
    Not all urns are traditionally-shaped.
    Tantallon wrote:
    Seems quite logical to me; this is near the end of the movie, we already know that Dench is at the end of her contract with this film, Morgan said that Bond 23 has a 'shocking' story, or 'hook', and why wouldn't Bond scatter her ashes over the place in London where she has always worked?

This isn't The Big Lebowski. ;)

Well, to be perfectly honest, I think the idea that Bond has gone up onto a rooftop to collect M's ashes from a box is, well, ridiculous.
  • Think what you like - it's only a film, mate. Get a life!
  • Here's another piece of speculation:

He's handing the box to Eve, which contains his Omega wristwatch, his Mont Blanc fountain pen [which fires poison-tipped bullets], the keys to his Bentley, his Kings Road apartment front-door keys, his favourite Turnbull and Asser silk tie, his Sony smartphone, his deep-breathing device and various other gadgets from his adventures down the years.
    He's had enough of all this spying crap - he's got emphysemia, liver trouble, arthritis in his knee-caps, and a heart murmur from all the stress - his Civil Service pension is worth naf-all because of the Coalition's changes to it, and he's fed up of all the immigrants swarming over the Border because the UKBA are so incompetent. This is not the England he grew up in anymore.
    He turns to the parapet - and leaps off, landing in a goey mess on top of the Climate Change Secretary Chris Huhne, making a horrible mess of his Tom Ford clobber on the pavement below.
    All of which explains the title - Skyfall.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,879
    I wouldn't rule it out...rageous.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    SaintMark wrote:

Helen Mirren would have been a much better M for Craig Bond, and I wouldn't have problem with a female M.

I think Judy Dench as M has gotten pretty stale, and after the character was made to look a bit bumbling in TWINE, I have tired of the character a lot in the last few films. Definitley time for a change.
    I will be extremely surprised if Dench returns in Bond 24. She will be 80 years old in 2014. No way she will play M at that age.

Craig said Skyfall has 2 or 3 hooks. I think one of those hooks has something to do with M.
    Some Suggestions:

Hugh laurie, Stephen Fry, Paul McGann, Chris Barrie from Red Dwarf,
    002 wrote:
    Some Suggestions:

Hugh laurie, Stephen Fry, Paul McGann, Chris Barrie from Red Dwarf,

Stephen Fry would be amazing! He's English, a great actor and at the perfect age to replace Dame Judi Dench in Bond 24.

JWESTBROOK wrote:

We've got a new Q. He could be an interesting Moneypenny.
    Judi has got to go, I can't stand any more ham acting from her, Shakespearean asides, looks and scotch don't work lady. Give it up and leave Bond alone please.

Yea that was in September -_-
    there are some very interesting opinions here. For me i would like to Peter Firth as the new M! He played the head of MI5 "Sir Harry Pearce" in BBC show "Spooks". He has a young Berard Lee look and demeanor about him although he does not necessarily need to be a younger version of Bernard Lees M. But in the the show he has no qualms about sending agents out into the field to get a job done regardless of the cost! He also has a temper and a dry witt which i think could spar superbly with Daniel Craigs Bond! Would recommend anyone to take a look at some of his performances if you do not know who this guy is?