SPECTRE - Collectibles, books, toys and other random junk

Comments

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    and here's the one for TND.
    0kkaQQ3.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @=bg= Sorry to hear about your standee being stolen, it looked like a real decent one.
    eddychaput wrote: »
    @QBranch: On the topic of standees, is it easy to get those? I've been told before that cinema have to send those back to the studios (presumably to be recycled and turned into new standees). Is that a load of bollocks or not?

Hi @eddychaput, I haven't heard of any cinemas returning standees to be recycled. When I asked for one, they put my name and phone number in a book. Back in early 2001 I picked up a TWINE standee from my local video store, which only required me to put my name on the back and no payment. The standees are now $50 to buy, and you have to put down a deposit of $25 to secure the standee, because apparently in the past they've had people sign for it but never show up to pay or receive it. It was nice to learn that the money for these standees goes to charity. I also asked if the smaller display standees on the counter top were for sale but the lady said they weren't. When the film finishes its run, they will give me a call to come collect.

I think it all depends on timing. Spectre opened here in Australia on the 12th, but I didn't get around to asking them until a week later. I honestly thought I left it too late, and that other Bond fans would be all over it. It would also depend on how many standees are there, though I should think they would only have one large one (per film) per cinema. I saw the book in which you write your name, and there were about ten other people there, but I'd guess they were after non-Bond film standees. I think the best time to inquire is the day of release or day before. Anyway, perhaps the best person to ask this question is @haserot, as I think he now works at the cinema. Best of luck, mate.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Has anyone pre-ordered the James Bond Archives Spectre Edition from Amazon?
    The release date keeps moving forward and I'm beginning to think it's never going to be dispatched at all!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Amazon says The James Bond Archives Spectre was out yesterday. But, on further examination it says, title not yet released. Very strange.
    I'd love to get a new Archives book - will the reduced size format be a big detriment to the full readability - anyone got an original edition?

I've never taken the plunge although have been just about to get one several times before but couldn't justify the price - I've bought real (fully working!!) cars for less!!
    The reduced format is the only reason I'm buying it - £35-ish, as opposed to £100 ;-)
  • I would like to see more feminine gadgets, that is why I designed earrings an necklace inspired with Spectre logo. Hope to make next 6 items. Feel free to share and support my project http://kck.st/1NaSprL
    Last time I was about to buy the book it was £130!! I guess this is the full RRP.

@MisiaLondon

Nice idea although I'd be careful using actual S P E C T R E film footage for your own business venture however nicely your promo clip works - I'm not sure EON would be too happy!! I don't think the tendril bullet graphic is copyright even if the film is.
  • royale65 wrote: »
    Amazon says The James Bond Archives Spectre was out yesterday. But, on further examination it says, title not yet released. Very strange.

Hi, I'm the editor of THE JAMES BOND ARCHIVES. I just want to clarify a few things since there have been a few emails about this.

1) There are two editions. The XL Edition, published in 2012, has everything up to Skyfall, and is in the large format. Hardcover, 41.1 x 30 cm, 600 pages. It is currently available in English and French language editions. This retails at £135 / $200 / €150. The first printing, with the film strip, sold out after about 6 weeks. There are still a few copies of the reprint available before it disappears forever. You can find out more here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film_music/all/00399/facts.the_james_bond_archives.htm?pleisty_src=widget

2) The SPECTRE Edition, published now, has everything in the previous edition, plus a new chapter on SPECTRE. It is smaller, almost half the size. Hardcover, 33.7 x 24.6 cm, 624 pages. It is available in English, French, German, and Spanish language editions. This retails at £44.99 / $69.99 / €49.99. You can see more here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film_music/all/03416/facts.the_james_bond_archives_spectre_edition.htm

There was a delay in shipping the book from the printer but I have just been told that the book is now definitely on sale through UK retailers, and it is selling like hotcakes. We do not know why Amazon says the book is not available and are investigating.

best
    -paul

Thanks for clearing this up @Paul_Duncan

How many books are in the new print run if they're selling so well already! I'd buy through Amazon normally.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    andmcit wrote: »
    I'd love to get a new Archives book - will the reduced size format be a big detriment to the full readability - anyone got an original edition?

I've never taken the plunge although have been just about to get one several times before but couldn't justify the price - I've bought real (fully working!!) cars for less!!

Yeah, that's a huge price tag on the original edition. The second edition is a bit smaller, but over 100$ cheaper!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 84
    I took the plunge on the larger version when it came out, and the sheer weight of the damn thing, the leatherette cover and the outer box it comes in makes you feel proud to own it. The size of the book once you open it out does justice to the source material inside. Stunning.

Seeing as Paul Duncan has kindly come on to the forum here, just to say a personal thank you for such an incredible piece of literature. I just wish i'd had the cash for one of the only 200 or so DC signed versions that came with a framed Ken Adam print.....£1500...!!
    eddychaput wrote: »
    "Blood, Sweat and Bond: Behind the Scenes of Spectre" arrived a day early at my door. Here's a little glimpse

Great video.

Also, does anyone know why Gregg Williams is not back for SP ?
  • andmcit wrote: »
    How many books are in the new print run if they're selling so well already! I'd buy through Amazon normally.

I don't know what the print run is, but the book is distributed worldwide, and will be reprinted as demand dictates.
  • darrenr wrote: »
    Seeing as Paul Duncan has kindly come on to the forum here, just to say a personal thank you for such an incredible piece of literature. I just wish i'd had the cash for one of the only 200 or so DC signed versions that came with a framed Ken Adam print.....£1500...!!

I'm happy that you are enjoying the book.

Yes, there were two Art Editions of the book, 250 of each, gold cover and gold edging, signed by Daniel Craig, plus signed art prints of Ken Adam's designs for Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice.

You can see details of the book in the teaser here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/company/downloads/index.catalogues_teasers.htm

I was lucky enough to buy a copy of the YOLT Edition - although they sold so quickly that there was some doubt whether or not I would receive a copy.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited November 2015 Posts: 3,675
    @Paul_Duncan If it's half the size, does the layout change a bit?

Which would you recommend?
  • @Paul_Duncan If it's half the size, does the layout change a bit?

Which would you recommend?

The layout, images, and text are exactly the same - just smaller in the Trade Edition.

If you can afford it (35% off at Amazon), get the XL Edition while you can because of the size and detail of the images. We had access to the original negs and transparencies so all the images are super sharp. The book comes in its own box to preserve its condition. It will not the reprinted again.

I know it is difficult to make a decision online without seeing the books. You can see them at TASCHEN stores around the world - London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles, Miami etc.

Also available at other bookshops. For example, The Cinema Store in London had a large stock of the first printing with the film strip. I don't know if they have any left:

http://www.thecinemastore.co.uk/shop/books/

For other TASCHEN books where we have made XL and Trade editions, people have kept the XL for themselves only, and use the Trade Edition for daily use or to gift to friends.

Perhaps some others on the forum have an opinion on this, since I'm somewhat biased.
    Thank you for clearing that up Paul
    Thanks Paul.
    I just hope the issue with Amazon is resolved soon. I've placed my pre-order but I'm worried about the delay in case it leads to me missing out.
  • TR007 wrote: »
    I just hope the issue with Amazon is resolved soon. I've placed my pre-order but I'm worried about the delay in case it leads to me missing out.

If you have pre-ordered, then you will definitely get a copy when they are available.

I am monitoring Amazon in the UK and US. For the XL edition, demand was so high that it kept going "out of stock" and then "in stock" the following day for a few hours, before repeating the process.
  • grey blouse is nice but is it James Bond style for sure?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria

thanks, the pen will now be a stockingstuffer!

• Just had more detailed info from TASCHEN - the first shipment of THE JAMES BOND ARCHIVES SPECTRE EDITION arrived in the UK warehouse this week and was "sold out" immediately, which means all the copies have been dispatched to retailers. Another shipment is expected next week.
    Ah, some good news.
    Great news! Thanks for the update Paul. Any updates with Amazon per chance?
  • TR007 wrote: »
    Great news! Thanks for the update Paul. Any updates with Amazon per chance?

I don't know what the current situation is with Amazon, but as from 7.40pm they have stopped accepting pre-orders for the book and refer to other suppliers for sales. I expect that as soon as they receive their copies, it'll be back on sale from them.
  • If you're in the UK, I've just ordered the SPECTRE edition of the James Bond Archives from WHSmith. It's £33.74, but they are doing 10% off this weekend. You can also get cashback if you use TopCashBack or Quidco. I've just been on LiveChat to Amazon and I wasn't convinced that I'd be receiving the book, having preordered 2 months ago, so I'll be cancelling my order with them.