SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    India turned it's Back on Bond - if they did turn their back on Bond, then who are actually watching the movie in the theaters ?

Mindless SPECTRE agents of course. EON are borrowing them from Ol' Ernst worldwide to give the public the perception that the film is drawing in big crowds to save face. Clearly.
  • logged in just to say, some folks are hell bent on spreading lies..Spectre is doing well in India - http://www.koimoi.com/box-office/spectre-scores-highest-weekend-for-a-bond-film-at-india-box-office/

Can you pleaseeee explain me how much 1 crore is? It says $0.02 Dollar cents?? So it has grossed now 31.9 crore, which is....$0.59 Dollar? Not even 1 Dollar :-P? This is very confusing...
    Sorry for lashing about senior age motorbike stunts Raiku007 I have great wonder and thank India for everything, I have a friend who went to holiday there. What I say is to say that India was so demanding they took themselves out of consideratioints for the train sequence in Skyfall. That must sore. And affect the boxoffice.
    I think that's 4.68 Mil USD
  • 30 crores is close to 4.5million US dollars
  • What I say is to say that India was so demanding they took themselves out of consideratioints for the train sequence in Skyfall. - India was not demanding but the then railway ministry was. Yes there was outrage and it was against the then government for messing it up and not against bond. In fact, the mess up has brought about a change for foreign film makers. We are thankful to bond for that. - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/english/hollywood/news/Finally-a-single-window-clearance-for-foreign-filmmakers/articleshow/49859866.cms

Will not side track the discussion anymore..apologies..
    I have some reading to do. The tracks of the posts are back on track now.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I just think perhaps, like a few other Bond films that didn't get great buzz, that it might be a bit of a grower. I definitely think it has more rewatch value than SF, which is such a downer of a movie.
    I agree with this. I can tell that because I've enjoyed it more each time I've seen it in the theatre. I'm not in love with it at all, but I enjoy it more (in a detached sort of way). Same with QoS. I agree that SF doesn't grow on you that way (its impact is much more immediate) but I like that on rewatch too, mainly because of the performances and the aesthetics (which I much prefer to SP).

However, the problem is I think the general public really won't give it that 2nd chance...first impressions count with a lot of people. I'm speaking strictly from a box office perspective here, given the thread title.

I find 'enjoying in a detached way' describes my experience of the whole Craig era, apart from SF, which I actively disliked.

For me it was just a massive relief after Brosnan to have a credible and decent actor in the role. And someone who was clearly interested in doing more than just aping Connery and Moore.

But Craig has never really fully won me over. I still appreciate him as a decent Bond, but his films don't fully entertain or satisfy me. They've come close but never quite fully hit the mark IMO.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    edit
    SPECTRE box office china Tuesday: $1,200,600. Total: $80,026,600

Hunger games made: $1,189,600 Tuesday
    Box office china tuesday is looking remarkable. Here's hope still that it can hold steady and straight.
  • There is still a good chance to make 90 million.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's hardly mediocre. It's one of the best! \m/

I'm more in line with you than others, @Murdock. While I'm conflicted about how I feel about the film, as in is it a "good" Bond or a "great" one, I know that I must like it a good bit if every time I read a post or review with someone calling it "subpar," "underwhelming" or "average" I roll my eyes and scoff.

I can see why some wouldn't like it but, I loved it from beginning to end. I didn't see any problems with the story, writing or what have you. I went in with the highest of expectations and they were exceeded. People calling Spectre the worst Bond ever must not have seen any of the Pre Craig films. I went in to have fun, not pick it apart bit by bit. While I didn't like Newman's score, it didn't ruin the film for me. I went in to be entertained and I was entertained. It's a great year to be a Bond fan. I loved it. It's my 2nd favorite Bond film right behind GoldenEye which holds #1 for good. :-bd

What's happening?! I find our views converging more and more often! Apart from on GE, obviously!

BO figures make no sense to me. TB and SF are the two most successful Bond films, but for me personally two of my least favourite entries.
    Haha that is something. We have to agree on something sometime. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I'm more in line with you than others, @Murdock. While I'm conflicted about how I feel about the film, as in is it a "good" Bond or a "great" one, I know that I must like it a good bit if every time I read a post or review with someone calling it "subpar," "underwhelming" or "average" I roll my eyes and scoff.

I can see why some wouldn't like it but, I loved it from beginning to end. I didn't see any problems with the story, writing or what have you. I went in with the highest of expectations and they were exceeded. People calling Spectre the worst Bond ever must not have seen any of the Pre Craig films. I went in to have fun, not pick it apart bit by bit. While I didn't like Newman's score, it didn't ruin the film for me. I went in to be entertained and I was entertained. It's a great year to be a Bond fan. I loved it. It's my 2nd favorite Bond film right behind GoldenEye which holds #1 for good. :-bd

What's happening?! I find our views converging more and more often! Apart from on GE, obviously!

BO figures make no sense to me. TB and SF are the two most successful Bond films, but for me personally two of my least favourite entries.

@Murdock, @Getafix actually told me while quite inebriated one night about a year or so ago that he actually loves GE "more than Creasy, 00Beast and all them Brozzenators combined," to use his words verbatim. That same night he went on to describe Brosnan as "angelic," "debonair," and "better than Dalton." Obviously he has never had the heart to tell you all this, as it makes him look like a right hypocrite. But, now the truth is set free.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

@Murdock, @Getafix actually told me while quite inebriated one night about a year or so ago that he actually loves GE "more than Creasy, 00Beast and all them Brozzenators combined," to use his words verbatim. That same night he went on to describe Brosnan as "angelic," "debonair," and "better than Dalton." Obviously he has never had the heart to tell you all this, as it makes him look like a right hypocrite. But, now the truth is set free.
    I knew it! :))
  • And apparently, after two Turkish F16's shot down the Russian
    30 crores is close to 4.5million US dollars

Do you know if the entire Indian box office gross was included in the global box office estimate for "SPECTRE" on Sunday night ( 22nd November )?
  • And apparently, after two Turkish F16's shot down the Russian
    30 crores is close to 4.5million US dollars

Do you know if the entire Indian box office gross was included in the global box office estimate for "SPECTRE" on Sunday night ( 22nd November )?
    I think it was included.
    Quessing the new frankenstein movie wont be any competition http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frankenstein_2015/
    Quessing the new frankenstein movie wont be any competition http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frankenstein_2015/

Yikes, it appears not even some good old fashioned galvanism could rewaken the interest of the critics in that film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not surprised. The trailers looked horrid.
    Yeah, SP might finish 3rd overall after HG and Creed. It will have decent legs. Worry not, Bond friends. $-)
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Yeah, SP might finish 3rd overall after HG and Creed. It will have decent legs. Worry not, Bond friends. $-)
    4th is more likely. Don't forget Good Dinosaur.

• Which makes "SPECTRE" now rapidly fall down into "QOS" terrirtories. And perhaps it will also have trouble catching "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation". Sony is not going to be pleased about this.

No, don't be silly. It will beat its $195 mil US total in a couple of weeks. In fact, I think, TODAY, assuming SP made $6 mil worldwide on Monday, passes Rogue Nation's $682 worldwide.

Now I want to compare the series, let's match each MI with its closest released Bond movie :

MI (1996) : $457 worldwide
    GE (1995) : $352

MI2 (2000) : $546
    TWINE (1999) : $361

MI3 (2006) : $397
    CR (2006) : $599

MIGP (2011) : $694
    SF (2012) : $1108

MIRN (2015) : $682
    SP (2015) : $677 +

So, we can see that MI could handily beat Brosnan, but as soon as Craig steps in, Bond makes a spectacular comeback and now is in the lead 3-2 once Spectre passes Rogue Nation :)
  • Dinovelvet, I think Gustav was being sarcastic because of some pesimistic and stupid coments.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RE: the MI/Bond comparisons, keep in mind that MI3 came after Cruise's tragic meltdown/couch jumping incident. So that was the beginning of a long fall from the top for him.

He regained his footing with the exceptional MI-GP, but is still fighting an uphill battle with the press/public due to his religious affiliations.

If it wasn't for those things, the results could be quite different. He is his biggest enemy, despite all his hard work and efforts. Been at the top or near the top for way too long (since the mid-80's). To be commended.
    Spectre will perform fine, and lets face it the studios are battling each other to their hands on the franchise because of all the money it makes!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SPECTRE made 1.5 million in the US on Monday. That is very good!
  • bondjames wrote: »
    RE: the MI/Bond comparisons, keep in mind that MI3 came after Cruise's tragic meltdown/couch jumping incident. So that was the beginning of a long fall from the top for him.

He regained his footing with the exceptional MI-GP, but is still fighting an uphill battle with the press/public due to his religious affiliations.

If it wasn't for those things, the results could be quite different. He is his biggest enemy, despite all his hard work and efforts. Been at the top or near the top for way too long (since the mid-80's). To be commended.

True, but I think another factor was that MI2, which though popular at the time, fell out of favor in the intervening years when the OTT/slo-mo John Woo style became old hat.

MI3 also didn't have that one standout sequence or money shot or Cruise doing something outrageous that all the others had.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

True, but I think another factor was that MI2, which though popular at the time, fell out of favor in the intervening years when the OTT/slo-mo John Woo style became old hat.

MI3 also didn't have that one standout sequence or money shot or Cruise doing something outrageous that all the others had.
    That's true. From my view, MI3 was a bit like SF in the sense that it was more concerned with the personal relationships. It didn't connect so well with the audience unlike SF though.....I always thought that was because of the couch incident (it was around the same time....shortly after) but you could be right.....there was no real standout action sequence.

It's also true about Woo's film being very dated now.
    MI: 3 is my second favorite of the series behind Rogue Nation. I think it's awesome. I like the more character driven stories.