SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tubes wrote: »
    Depending on who you ask, SP did between $2.67-$2.69 million on Thursday. It's notable that it didn't improve as much on Thanksgiving as SF or QOS did, but SP lost almost 700 theaters while the other two didn't.

I think the only thing really preventing SP from $200 million is the big winter films pushing it out despite still drawing.
    It's a good point, and this was always a risk. That's why we speculated here some time ago that it really needed to pull in big grosses earlier (i.e. front load on box office) because it would lose theatres much faster due to the release schedule. That is probably what is happening now.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    HASEROT wrote: »
    with more and more studios poaching the holiday time of schedule (a time that used to be universally thought of as 'dead time') - and trying to turn it into a 2nd Blockbuster season.. i wonder if EON would consider moving Bond into slots with less competition.. such as October.. or even March/April - that dead period before they start ramping up the summer season.

That's not entirely accurate. Holiday time has always been seen as a big movie season, before the summer madness sparked by Jaws and Star Wars. What has happened is it keeps pushing outward, testing the limits of early November for blockbusters.

Moreover, "dead" seasons like the fall and spring are hosting blockbusters of their own, especially around extended weekends. Which leads to a strange phenomenon of releasing major tentpoles in unusual spots and using the summer and holiday cache to try and boost the grosses of weaker films.
  • This week SP is holding very well in North America. It seems that Bond made another 5.2 million on Black Friday, for a 12+million 3 day weekend and about a 18 million 5 day weekend. After this, the total cume will be 175-176 million.
    Some people here were very unfair saying American people hate Bond, British or simply non-American movies.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/thanksgiving-box-office-hunger-games-mockingjay-creed-the-good-dinosaur-1201639941/
    Around 200 mil total looks the more likely figure for SP to end its run on now.......i mean after Thanksgiving the next 2 weeks is a dead zone box office wise, before the gradual ramp up towards xmax.
    SP will soon be down to grossing under a $1 mil a day, during the weekdays, and with the continual drop each week, of the number of theatres the film will be playing in.......its gonna take a long time for SP to reach $200 mil (even if that is possible).
    Second of three preview days here in Japan and at last I saw it.
    Cinema was less than 10% full!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    This week SP is holding very well in North America. It seems that Bond made another 5.2 million on Black Friday, for a 12+million 3 day weekend and about a 18 million 5 day weekend. After this, the total cume will be 175-176 million.
    Some people here were very unfair saying American people hate Bond, British or simply non-American movies.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/thanksgiving-box-office-hunger-games-mockingjay-creed-the-good-dinosaur-1201639941/

Yes beyond just this movie everyone is quick to damn America about anything and everything.

What's wrong and shortsighted is that even if they disagree with our government (we often do too) they transcend that to the American people too.

But like I suspected and hoped SP is hanging in there.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    dandan wrote: »
    Why? Was it too late or was it not properly promoted? Japan is usually a quite good market for Bond movies. I expected SP to make about 20 million dollars there, do you think it´s possible?
    By the way, almost 1 million more coming from China today, not greate, but SP is sitll 5# and it has the 3rd best people per screen average of the Top 10.

Anyone know how SPECTRE is doing in France atm?
  • I don't know, but after the attacks some people were avoiding theatres, I hope normality is being recovered this weekend.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Around 200 mil total looks the more likely figure for SP to end its run on now.......i mean after Thanksgiving the next 2 weeks is a dead zone box office wise, before the gradual ramp up towards xmax.
    SP will soon be down to grossing under a $1 mil a day, during the weekdays, and with the continual drop each week, of the number of theatres the film will be playing in.......its gonna take a long time for SP to reach $200 mil (even if that is possible).

What are you talking about? It's at 168 right now before the full weekend hits... like ChampionAlonso's post said, 175 or so by Monday. 25 million more in its entire US run is hard/tough? Getting to 200 will happen. Period. It might be a slog but it's gonna do it.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »

What are you talking about? It's at 168 right now before the full weekend hits... like ChampionAlonso's post said, 175 or so by Monday. 25 million more in its entire US run is hard/tough? Getting to 200 will happen. Period. It might be a slog but it's gonna do it.

That's exactly what i said.........its gonna be a slog to get there.

• I don't care so much anymore for the box office of SP. Back in 2012 it was fun to track SF, because obviously it was a critical and financial phenomenon. Every fan in here was awed. It all made us feel good and happy, that at least another Bond film was able to stun our planet :-).

With SP it's sightly different. Still a huge success globally. And even with inflation correction it will probably pass YOLT (something no Brosnan film was able to do). But most importantly, I'm looking forward to the limited edition steelbook release for "SPECTRE" ;-). Way more fun to look forward too.
    dandan wrote: »
    Why? Was it too late or was it not properly promoted? Japan is usually a quite good market for Bond movies. I expected SP to make about 20 million dollars there, do you think it´s possible?
    By the way, almost 1 million more coming from China today, not greate, but SP is sitll 5# and it has the 3rd best people per screen average of the Top 10.

I have no idea.
    I don't live in a main city and don't watch much to here so don't know about promotion.

• So SPECTRE is a huge blockbuster. Why all the hand-wringing?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,115
    So SPECTRE is a huge blockbuster. Why all the hand-wringing?

It's a very successful movie but not up to the box office level of Skyfall. 007 fans got a little spoiled, both for the box office and the positive reviews. Overall, it's a positive picture.

• TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer

A combination of studio leaks, a negative US reception, and comparisons to SKYFALL. Modern day expectations are 1 billion or bust.

On the flip side, the widely praised and largely successful MAD MAX: FURY ROAD made a third of SPECTRE's gross worldwide and nobody's groveling at it's performance.

SP still doing good business in the UK......Sat gross £1.4 mil ($2.1 mil).........film should be around the £89 mil ($135 mil), by the end of the weekend.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2015 Posts: 11,139

A combination of studio leaks, a negative US reception, and comparisons to SKYFALL. Modern day expectations are 1 billion or bust.

On the flip side, the widely praised and largely successful MAD MAX: FURY ROAD made a third of SPECTRE's gross worldwide and nobody's groveling at it's performance.

Mad max didn't cost anywhere near as much as SP did and no one was expecting it to make ridiculous sums of money at the BO. It accomplished what it set out to do and that was to be a bloody great action movie that was critically acclaimed and made a tidy profit.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Mad max didn't cost anywhere near as much as SP did and no one was expecting it to make ridiculous sums of money at the BO. It accomplished what it set out to do and that was to be a bloody great action movie that was critically acclaimed and made a tidy profit.

Yes. I'm a huge Bond fan and what is truly disappointing for me is that I don't want to enjoy Mad Max more or MI more either but this time I did.

Oh yes and quick to mention US reception as negative as a cause but don't leave out that it's not that great of a film.

Ok some love it and that's great but most of critics whether American or British have complained about the same faults.

Again don't blame America for less enthusiasm when the Brits made a mediocre film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

Yes. I'm a huge Bond fan and what is truly disappointing for me is that I don't want to enjoy Mad Max more or MI more either but this time I did.

Oh yes and quick to mention US reception as negative as a cause but don't leave out that it's not that great of a film.

Ok some love it and that's great but most of critics whether American or British have complained about the same faults.

Again don't blame America for less enthusiasm when the Brits made a mediocre film.

Eh? I didn't say anything about blaming America for being less receptive to SP.
  • An A- in cinemascore, 7.2/10 in imdb USA members, 67% fresh in rottentomatoes top critics (almost all of them are American), 175+ million after 24 days ... and SP is supposed to have had a "bad" or "negative" reception in America?!?!
    Some people are very exagerated when there are not (near) universal acclaim!!! My God, CR or SF were exceptions in the Bond saga, Bond movies had had MIXED reviews for decades and we could live with them.
    Of course Bond is British and much more European than almost any other important Hollywood franchise, but it is still Top 10 material in USA, even in a difficult year like 2015.
    Yeah, I'm in the states and people I talk to on social media or in person are all excited about seeing it or had a blast when they did. Americans love Bond. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I feel stuffy critics with pretentious aims are making everyone think America has been unreceptive to the movie; hardly the case.

It is annoying to hear it called a disappointment in some places because it hasn't reached $800 million plus dollars yet, though people also seem to forget that it's not tracking that far behind SF either for what has been termed a subpar effort. Yawn. (:|
    Exactly. It's been like a month! And come Monday it will be around 750 million. For Pete's sake, what do people want?!
    @doubleoego not you specifically.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    In a nutshell.............i enjoyed SP, but i can also see why others were not so enthused about it.
    Basically the film lacked, a soul.........and didn't have that magic feeling too it, and whilst the film was good enough, to pull in the worldwide Bond fan base, it is evident that the film hasn't done a lot to bring in non-bond fans, as per CR and SF managed to do so.

Just one other point, we in the UK do not go in droves to see a Bond film, if its a very bad film.
    Remember, that even after a very strong start in the UK........the Box Office for QOS dropped very steeply indeed, with the film grossing some $25 mil less than CR.
    Just, thought i mention that to our North American members here, who feel somewhat agrieved at being singled out, for their countryman's less than ecstatic reception to SP.

In fact, if it wasn't for the MI6 UK member here @quantumofsolace, who saw the film QOS 24 times. then the UK take would of been, even significantly lower. :-O