Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Lancaster007

I sat though all of the Twilight films, also as a favour to an ex-girlfriend. Let me assure you, it was quite the ordeal! By the time we got to the fourth film I began to somewhat enjoy the intensity on screen if nothing else. Then part IV came, one big pamphlet designed to encourage young girls to stay away from sex as long as possible because sex hurts and pregnancy puts you through severe pains as well and leaves you almost dead. It helps to know that Stephanie Meyer is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...
  • JNOJNO Finland
    I watched John Ford´s "The Searchers" yesterday. I tend to watch these old classics, I´m not so much into modern films.

Though I´m a huge fan of Sergio Leone´s work, I must admit that there is a straight line between Ford and Leone... and Kurosawa is there in the middle!
    JNO wrote: »
    I watched John Ford´s "The Searchers" yesterday. I tend to watch these old classics, I´m not so much into modern films.

Though I´m a huge fan of Sergio Leone´s work, I must admit that there is a straight line between Ford and Leone... and Kurosawa is there in the middle!

Classic!
    Agreed, "The Searchers" is a fantastic movie, and John Wayne sure shows that he can play a role that is miles away from everything he has ever done before or since.

Saw "Gamera" (the first one) yesterday. Of course, it can't hold a candle to the original "Gojira", and I can't stand the kid, but it still very entertaining nonetheless, and the way they get rid of the monster is very clever (even if a little far-fetched)).
    Terminator: Genysis

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

906500d2589d959c73c33b4dcdda34f5fda3485255b19132d42b491c823e807e.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I've watched 3 classics that, after reading so much about on these forums and everywhere, I was ashamed to not have seen them before:

Metropolis (1927) Wonderful movie! Hard to believe the film is almost 90 years old, still relevant today and looks remarkable for it's age.

King Kong (1933) I prefered this one to the Peter Jackson remake - althought the 2005 one is quite epic, this one is much shorter (just under 100 minutes) and straight to the point, no time lost at any time, just a pure thrill ride.

Citizen Kane (1941) Now this one I have seen listed as one of, it not THE best movie of all time in countless lists over the years. Well, my expectations were not disappointed - absolutely cracking film, the 2 hours went by like a bullet. The story is quite excellent, and Orson Wells and the cast deliver quality performances. I had no idea what the plot was, apart from this 'Rosebud' business, so I was very much captivated for the whole duration.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I've watched 3 classics that, after reading so much about on these forums and everywhere, I was ashamed to not have seen them before:

Metropolis (1927) Wonderful movie! Hard to believe the film is almost 90 years old, still relevant today and looks remarkable for it's age.

King Kong (1933) I prefered this one to the Peter Jackson remake - althought the 2005 one is quite epic, this one is much shorter (just under 100 minutes) and straight to the point, no time lost at any time, just a pure thrill ride.

Citizen Kane (1941) Now this one I have seen listed as one of, it not THE best movie of all time in countless lists over the years. Well, my expectations were not disappointed - absolutely cracking film, the 2 hours went by like a bullet. The story is quite excellent, and Orson Wells and the cast deliver quality performances. I had no idea what the plot was, apart from this 'Rosebud' business, so I was very much captivated for the whole duration.

Three class movies - have had about 3 or 4 different versions of Metropolis - most recent Eureka's blu-ray with restored footage. Another one to stick in with these is F W Murnau's Nosferatu
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks for the suggestion, @Lancaster007! :)>-
    @Lancaster007

How do you feel about Wiene's Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari? It might be my favourite silent era movie. :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What about Alucard?
    I continued tonight with 2 classics I had never seen before from legendary director Kurosawa: Rashomon (1950) and Yojimbo (1961).

Both films were absolutely fantastic, Rashomon had an interesting plot that keeps you guessing all the way through, while Yojimbo is a pure epic thrill-ride for almost 2 hours, with Toshiro Mifune who is a total badass in this one.
    I continued tonight with 2 classics I had never seen before from legendary director Kurosawa: Rashomon (1950) and Yojimbo (1961).

Both films were absolutely fantastic, Rashomon had an interesting plot that keeps you guessing all the way through, while Yojimbo is a pure epic thrill-ride for almost 2 hours, with Toshiro Mifune who is a total badass in this one.

I found both those movies a bit boring =/ But i can agree that they are good movies.

Have you seen Laura (1944) by any chance =)?

I'm afraid I haven't, @Crazysoul95.
    @DaltonCraig007, im highly recommending it if you like old mystery movies, it's brilliant
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Hunger Games - Catching Fire

I had only previously seen the first one up to now. I enjoyed that one immensely and with surprise. Jennifer Lawrence was definitely the highlight.

Realizing that I would have limited opportunity to see the new one in the best theatres (given 2015's busy release schedule) I decided to actively seek out and source the other 2 films that were on blu last weekend. I was able to purchase both used, and anxiously put in the 2nd installment last night.

I enjoyed it....immensely. Much better than the first one imho. The set design is superior, & the budget is all up there on the screen. Everything is grander, larger, and more intense - and the stakes are higher. I was surprised at how many great actors are in this franchise (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, Jeffrey Wright & Woody Harrelson just to name a few). This is sort of like an 'Amercian' Lord of the Rings, because it is a showcase for great acting talent in a fantasy setting. Again, Jennifer Lawrence impresses me (I had previously written her off as some flavour of the month.....I was wrong. She is a very talented actress).

I'm looking forward to the more criticized Mockingjay Part 1 tonight.
    Continued today with more classics I needed to discover;

On The Waterfront (1954) Excellent movie, this is the first time I see Brando outside of 'The Godfather', and he ciments my view that he is one of the greatest actors of all time. Great story and a powerhouse performance from Brando kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970), from director Jean-Pierre Melville with Alain Delon, Bourvil and Yves Montant. An absolutely stunning film, one of the best crime/heist/noir film I've ever seen. All the main actors showcase phenomenal amounts of class and suaveness.

Paths of Glory (1957) This is only the 2nd film I've seen with Kirk Douglas, after '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' was one of my favorite films when I was young. Another stellar film from Kubrick, and Douglas really impressed me. The film seems ahead of its time, as I thought the camera work is very modern for a film of that period.

I found both those movies a bit boring =/ But i can agree that they are good movies.

Have you seen Laura (1944) by any chance =)?

Laura is a wonderful movie. Huge recommend.

Thanks @Crazysoul95 and @DarthDimi, I've added it to my watchlist!

As for my viewing tonight...

Wages of Fear (1953) Wow, just wow. Most gut-wrenching and nail-bitting film I've ever seen. Powerhouse performances from all the actors, but the real star here is the tension - it's never been higher!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

On The Waterfront (1954) Excellent movie, this is the first time I see Brando outside of 'The Godfather', and he ciments my view that he is one of the greatest actors of all time. Great story and a powerhouse performance from Brando kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

Paths of Glory (1957) This is only the 2nd film I've seen with Kirk Douglas, after '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' was one of my favorite films when I was young. Another stellar film from Kubrick, and Douglas really impressed me. The film seems ahead of its time, as I thought the camera work is very modern for a film of that period.
    Two powerhouse features that stunned me upon viewing as a 20-something.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Hunger Games - Mockingjay 1

I just watched all of the Hunger Games films available on blu ray, in anticipation for the last one, currently in theatres.

This one is quite different from the previous two films. While the early ones focused on the games themselves, this film is all about the rebel insurgency. As always, I think Jennifer Lawrence does a great job. In this film, she is asked to be an icon or mockingjay for the resistance, based on her star power and impact during the games in mobilizing people.

This film focuses on how both the resistance and their oppressors use the media and film to spread their political messages. It's not as action focused as the previous two, but more interesting for the adult crowd perhaps due to the dark subject matter of insurgencies, sacrificing oneself for the greater good, and being a reluctant hero. It also has quite a few veiled inferences to current world affairs.

It's interesting, but it probably shouldn't have been a standalone film, but rather, should have been combined with MJ2, which I will try to catch this weekend.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970), from director Jean-Pierre Melville with Alain Delon, Bourvil and Yves Montant. An absolutely stunning film, one of the best crime/heist/noir film I've ever seen. All the main actors showcase phenomenal amounts of class and suaveness.

So glad you also think Paths of Glory feels ahead of its time; I thought it did in just about every way. What a whopper of a movie, especially for such a short running time. I think I'd rank it as my third favorite Kubrick film (Shining #1, Strangelove #2).
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) I am a sucker for movies about big family reunions, and this one is another stellar film of this theme. This is my first movie with Elizabeth Taylor, and she mesmerised me. What an absolutely gorgeous woman. And Paul Newman.. I had only seen him in 'Colour of Money' and 'Road to Perdition', so I had no idea he was such a good looking man in his younger days. The guy has immense star power, raw machismo and charisma I've seen only in such legends such as McQueen, Connery, Caine and Moore.

Edit:

I've just reached a milestone.. I have watched my first ever John Wayne film! Rio Bravo (1959). Very fun movie, filled with tons of humour and some cool gun fights. As for Wayne, well at first it was a bit strange as he doesn't seem to be 'acting', but actually playing himself. After 30 minutes however, I was hooked: the man is a real badass.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I bet this was a long and very, very entertaining night. Mifune is an absolute legend and a badass in everything I've seen of his.
    @DaltonCraig007, suprised you haven't seen more classics before, as you seem like a major film buff :)

Anyways Rio Bravo is in my top 3 westerns of all time
    Really like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof aswell, great acting and Elizabeth Taylor :x
    On the Waterfront is one of my favourites aswell, great acting all around especially Brando and Rod Steiger.
    Paths of Glory is really good
    Wages of Fear one of the most suspensefull movies ever as you said
    @Crazysoul95, agreed with the both of you: 'The Wages of Fear' is so, so suspenseful. I absolutely love the pacing of that movie, too, as the length of it gives a lot of backstory and insight into the characters before they set off on their journey. I never thought a movie involving four older gentlemen and some trucks would be that intense, but it's really one of the best nail-biters I've ever watched. I may be in the minority, but I'm ashamed to say I hate the ending of it.
    Goldeneye right now on Syfi.

One of my favorite parts of thanksgiving is the James Bond movie marathon every year!!
    @fjdinardo, that's usually the best part for me! Not tuning in to any marathons, but I've been debating whether I should watch GE or SP today.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Do you mean
    when he drives off the road and dies? If so then i agree it was very silly, we went trough all of that nailbiting just to see him die in an unnecessary way
    Do you mean
    when he drives off the road and dies? If so then i agree it was very silly, we went trough all of that nailbiting just to see him die in an unnecessary way
    Indeed. It just seems like the film was totally re-edited at the last minute by a monkey; no offense to any of the producers or the director, but he did all of that just to react in a completely out-of-character way and die right at the last second? It was disappointing as hell. I still love and enjoy the movie, but the ending definitely killed it from being one of the greatest in my eyes.
    Rosemary's Baby (1968) Very scary film, and it's the worst kind of scary: where they don't show you anything and it's all about the atmosphere and music. Quite an oppressive film, I was really worried for Mia Farrow the whole film, right until the last scene which felt like a massive punch in the face given how much it surprised me.