Pierce Brosnan Not a Fan of Spectre

Comments

• I see nothing wrong whatsoever with what Brosnan said. He gave his opinion in his usually classy way and made sure to add some positives in with the negatives. He also said some lovely things about DC. I don't see how any of this is a problem (or even news).
    smitty wrote: »
    Most of the posts are ignoring the most important point - he made these comments just as the film is going into its most critical BO period. It needs all the help it can get to get to 900m let alone 1b. He's press savy and he knew his comments would go viral with "Brosnan bashes SP," "SP is weak" type headlines and it could hurt the film. Of course he is entitled to his opinions, but it would have been a lot wiser to wait until the film had been out a few months. Brosnan is always dicking around with EON over the fact he was fired. He's still bitter. He should have waited.

Yep. Like his snarky comments when he was promoting The November Man, he's digging at EON and co. It's quite obvious. And quite pathetic.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Pierce has hit the nail squarely on the head; EON should appoint him head of script development for the next one because he can see things that clearly they couldn't.

• RC7RC7
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Most of the posts are ignoring the most important point - he made these comments just as the film is going into its most critical BO period. It needs all the help it can get to get to 900m let alone 1b. He's press savy and he knew his comments would go viral with "Brosnan bashes SP," "SP is weak" type headlines and it could hurt the film. Of course he is entitled to his opinions, but it would have been a lot wiser to wait until the film had been out a few months. Brosnan is always dicking around with EON over the fact he was fired. He's still bitter. He should have waited.

Yep. Like his snarky comments when he was promoting The November Man, he's digging at EON and co. It's quite obvious. And quite pathetic.

Tripe.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    RC7 wrote: »

Tripe.

It is Tripe.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Wow!! I guess I just didn't read as much into the quote as some did.

Like I said PB was complimentary as well. Chill he can voice he's opinion. He's a fan as well.

Not like he said he was going to have to slash his wrists if he had to watch the film again.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THIS IS JUST ANOTHER BROSNAN BASHING THREAD
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Another Brosnan bashing thread. Unbelievable.
    He just offered his opinion, for Christ's sake.

8-| 8-| 8-|

I know ...Brosnan was both critical and complimentary... he ended his interview with positive comments.

It doesn't matter at this point, the thread is flourishing.

It has the word Brosnan in the title.

I think I will open a new thread as well. Content? Doesn't matter it will break down to this eventually:

- Brosnan was fired, blah blah
    - Die Another Day is garbage, blah blah
    - Brosnan almost destroyed the franchise, blah blah

Some now even claim Brosnan doesn't help Spectre in his critical BO time.
    Really? Get a grip.

At least Brosnan didn't say he'd rather slash his wrists than watching Spectre.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,984
    Craig said he'd rather slash his wrists rather than play Bond again. And even Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan defended him on that.
    Craig said he'd rather slash his wrists rather than play Bond again. And even Roger Moore defended him on that.

That's not the point.

The point is people here take every smallest opportunity to bash Brosnan.
    Just read some of the comments here.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I see nothing wrong in what he said. I didn't agree with his views on the movie itself as I thought it was great, but I do agree with him in his complimentary comments on Daniel Craig. He was very positive towards DC.

We all know there seems to be a history between PB and Eon but, for me, that's irrelevant as anyone is entitled to an opinion; the same as anyone else on this forum (and there have been negative comments towards SP).

Craig said he'd rather slash his wrists rather than play Bond again. And even Roger Moore defended him on that.

That's not the point.

The point is people here take every smallest opportunity to bash Brosnan.
    Just read some of the comments here.

Why do people get so wound up about the Brosnan bashing? It's just a bit of harmless sport.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'd love to hear Craig's critique of DAD.....F***** S***.......most likely. Ha ha!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I see nothing wrong in what he said. I didn't agree with his views on the movie itself as I thought it was great, but I do agree with him in his complimentary comments on Daniel Craig. He was very positive towards DC.

We all know there seems to be a history between PB and Eon but, for me, that's irrelevant as anyone is entitled to an opinion; the same as anyone else on this forum (and there have been negative comments towards SP).

The history between Connery and EON was a lot, a great lot worse. But you'll never hear anyone bashing on Connery for that here. (And they shouldn't of course).

Everything that may or may not have happened between EON and PB is only rumours, nothing has ever been confirmed. In the end I believe, Brosnan asked for more money, BB didn't want to pay it and then they decided to finally do CR and go into a different direction.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Connery was just a greedy man. I don't care if Brosnan was either. My issue with him is that he was in TND, TWINE and DAD...3 of the worst entries of the entire series. If his films had continued along the same vein as GE (excluding the crap score for a moment) my view would be different.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK

The history between Connery and EON was a lot, a great lot worse. But you'll never hear anyone bashing on Connery for that here. (And they shouldn't of course).

Everything that may or may not have happened between EON and PB is only rumours, nothing has ever been confirmed. In the end I believe, Brosnan asked for more money, BB didn't want to pay it and then they decided to finally do CR and go into a different direction.

And fair play that they did. However, I'm not a fan of bashing ex-Bond's as I love them all, and their movies (despite enjoying some more than others) in some way. I am just astounded by the amount of PB bashing; but, as I said re: the comments made by PB, everyone is entitled to an opinion. He's made his comments, now let's move on.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    So much butthurt over something so small. What Brosnan was in or wasn't is hardly relevant and those who think it is are delusional. As are those who think he has some sort of vendetta against EON. I met Brosnan once in Belfast - he is coolness personified. He has grown a hell of a lot since Bond for a variety of reasons and is professional beyond professional. Just like Rog. The only person who would still let his personal feelings cross over into his work is Connery.

"But it's Connery, he deserves it...."

It doesn't matter what Bond films he starred in, he was Bond. Connery gave us DAF alongside some of the great ones.

If we're seriously going to start debating who has "the right" to criticise Bond films and who doesn't, then we may as well close down this site and go and watch kids television.

Inane.
  • You know, maybe it's because of the Paris attacks and the fact that there are so many other, more important, things going on in the world, but I really just can't help thinking that people who actually get offended by Pierce Brosnan being ASKED his opinion and giving it in a tactful way really need to get a grip - and a life.
  • RC7RC7
    You know, maybe it's because of the Paris attacks and the fact that there are so many other, more important, things going on in the world, but I really just can't help thinking that people who actually get offended by Pierce Brosnan being ASKED his opinion and giving it in a tactful way really need to get a grip - and a life.

Too right.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Although I personally don't have a problem with him expressing an opinion, and I happen to agree with it (in regards to SP anyway), there is an argument to be made that the timing is wrong (the film is still being rolled out to other markets) and, as a former Bond, he should perhaps keep any negative opinions to himself until the film has been with us for a few years and all commercial benefits have been accrued.

Sort of a respect thing.

Us nobodies expressing our opinions on a fan site is one thing......his opinion could influence (at the margin) other's opinions of the film.

He's not wrong in his opinion though, imho.
    I think it shows a slight lack of class on Brozzer's part and perhaps a teensie weensie bit of sour grapes.

What irks me though is that he says SP was overlong and had a weak story. Did he ever watch any of his own Bond movies?

He's probably annoyed because SF ripped of TWINE and GE and did both stories better.
    Exactly; it's a situation of the kettle calling the pot black. All of his films were weaker than SP. My opinion yes but as others have pointed out mine does not mean much. But when a former Bond says something negative (and I agree it wasn't all that bad) it doesn't matter to what degree the negativity is. It will, 100% guaranteed hurt the BO results of the film. Even if one person says, "Oh, I heard the move was trash. I won't go see it now. Even Pierce Brosnan said so!" then the producers, and Daniel Craig, lose money. The entire franchise is harmed.

That is a big deal in my mind. It's professional courtesy, and Brosnan seems to have little clue how his comments, whether they are taken out of context or not, might harm the horse that brought him millions and worldwide fame. What Moore said about DAD was long after the film had come and gone from theaters.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think it shows a slight lack of class on Brozzer's part and perhaps a teensie weensie bit of sour grapes.

What irks me though is that he says SP was overlong and had a weak story. Did he ever watch any of his own Bond movies?

He's probably annoyed because SF ripped of TWINE and GE and did both stories better.

Unlike many here, PB probably is just fine with his legacy and he is entitled to say whatever he likes about any movie.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3
    Haha
    The funniest quote from Brosnan's Bond!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Exactly; it's a situation of the kettle calling the pot black. All of his films were weaker than SP. My opinion yes but as others have pointed out mine does not mean much. But when a former Bond says something negative (and I agree it wasn't all that bad) it doesn't matter to what degree the negativity is. It will, 100% guaranteed hurt the BO results of the film. Even if one person says, "Oh, I heard the move was trash. I won't go see it now. Even Pierce Brosnan said so!" then the producers, and Daniel Craig, lose money. The entire franchise is harmed.

That is a big deal in my mind. It's professional courtesy, and Brosnan seems to have little clue how his comments, whether they are taken out of context or not, might harm the horse that brought him millions and worldwide fame. What Moore said about DAD was long after the film had come and gone from theaters.

To say a comment about Spectre by Brosnan will influence the BO is utter bullshit.
    You just need an excuse to bash Brosnan. Others are jumping on your wagon.

Have a party, burn the Brosnan movies. Play dart with his face on the dartboard but stop littering this forum with this crap.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

Unlike many here, PB probably is just fine with his legacy and he is entitled to say whatever he likes about any movie.

Wrong again, I'm afraid....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/10761541/Pierce-Brosnan-I-was-never-good-enough-as-Bond.html

Not only does he admit he can't watch himself as Bond (understandable), but more tellingly, he admits that he never really got a grip of the character. He blames the weak writing but that's just excuses as far as I'm concerned.

I've always been struck by how of all the actors, Brosnan is the only one who really didn't seem to have any insight or angle on who Bond is. He saw Bond as cardboard cutout and that's how he played him on screen.
    There's nothing wrong about this, lol. Roger Moore claimed that watching QoS was like some poorly-edited ad.

He's not wrong about that in relation to parts of the film (the PTS and the establishing shots at the party in particular).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/10761541/Pierce-Brosnan-I-was-never-good-enough-as-Bond.html

That's old news, and any person with half a brain knows that this was a humorous remark.

But go on. Bash him and dig everything up that you can use against PB.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It will, 100% guaranteed hurt the BO results of the film.

What a load of bollocks.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

That's old news, and any person with half a brain knows that this was a humorous remark.

But go on. Bash him and dig everything up that you can use against PB.

Old news maybe, but telling in what he reveals.

Love the way you are able to just ignore an admission of failure from the actor himself. That's true fandom. Most of the critics and even the actor himself acknowldege he was pretty lame, but you still reckon he was the best Bond since Connery.

I think that's great. Honestly. It's nice to see people feel that strongly about these things.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    It will, 100% guaranteed hurt the BO results of the film.

What a load of bollocks.

Agreed. People can surely make up their own minds and, anyway, the film has been out for a month already.
This discussion has been closed.