Pierce Brosnan Not a Fan of Spectre

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Craig said he'd rather slash his wrists rather than play Bond again. And even Roger Moore defended him on that.

That's not the point.

The point is people here take every smallest opportunity to bash Brosnan.
    Just read some of the comments here.

I agree, said before I am not a fan of Brosnan's movies but this topic was just an excuse for people who already did not like Brosnan to have a go for being honest about whathe thought about Spectre. BTW Brosnan was right the script ended up a mess, Dan's best performance saves the film. A better story next time round and Dan will be on to a classic and we'll all be calling Spectre QOS 2.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,092
    Negative publicity hurts a film's BO results. That is a FACT. Brosnan's remarks will lessen the total monetary take of SP. You can call it bollocks all you want but it is 100% secured to happen. Like I said, even if one person in the world is turned off, that's 5-10 bucks gone from the total. Doesn't matter what his intentions were.

Look at what Craig did in China. Many people believe his visit is a huge reason the film is doing so well there. What if the opposite happened and he went there and said, "Hey this film sucks! Don't go see it!"? Would that hurt the film financially or not? Of course it would because that's how publicity works. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about how the media influences people. Brosnan's remakrs will cost EON money. Period, end of story, done.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think it shows a slight lack of class on Brozzer's part and perhaps a teensie weensie bit of sour grapes.

What irks me though is that he says SP was overlong and had a weak story. Did he ever watch any of his own Bond movies?

He's probably annoyed because SF ripped of TWINE and GE and did both stories better.

Unlike many here, PB probably is just fine with his legacy and he is entitled to say whatever he likes about any movie.

Wrong again, I'm afraid....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/10761541/Pierce-Brosnan-I-was-never-good-enough-as-Bond.html

That's old news, and any person with half a brain knows that this was a humorous remark.

But go on. Bash him and dig everything up that you can use against PB.

Old news maybe, but telling in what he reveals.

Love the way you are able to just ignore an admission of failure from the actor himself. That's true fandom. Most of the critics and even the actor himself acknowldege he was pretty lame, but you still reckon he was the best Bond since Connery.

I think that's great. Honestly. It's nice to see people feel that strongly about these things.

You probably mistake me with someone else.

My favourite actor by far is Dalton.
    I always had and will have Brosnan and Moore on par.

That most critics say he was pretty lame is an assumption by you.
    RT's top 3 bottom are all Roger Moore movies.
    And look the critics consensus up on TND and DAD.

I always will defend any actor that gets bashed unfairly. 90% of the time it's Brosnan on this forum. Sometimes Dalton and Lazenby.
    This is a misquote Brosnan was actually talking about Die Another Day =))

LOL! Nice!

=))

I did see an interview once, where even Pierce Brosnan laughed at the CGI scene in his DAD!

mepal1 wrote: »
    This is a misquote Brosnan was actually talking about Die Another Day =))

LOL! Nice!

=))

I did see an interview once, where even Pierce Brosnan laughed at the CGI surfing scene in his DAD!

The_Reaper wrote: »
    Negative publicity hurts a film's BO results. That is a FACT. Brosnan's remarks will lessen the total monetary take of SP. You can call it bollocks all you want but it is 100% secured to happen. Like I said, even if one person in the world is turned off, that's 5-10 bucks gone from the total. Doesn't matter what his intentions were.

Look at what Craig did in China. Many people believe his visit is a huge reason the film is doing so well there. What if the opposite happened and he went there and said, "Hey this film sucks! Don't go see it!"? Would that hurt the film financially or not? Of course it would because that's how publicity works. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about how the media influences people. Brosnan's remakrs will cost EON money. Period, end of story, done.

After your logic Craig has hurt the BO of Spectre a great lot more by his worldwide printed "wrist slashing" remarks.
    Open a thread about that and see what happens.
    Brosnan hasn't been Bond for over a decade so why should people not see the film just because he was critical of it. People are more likely to take notice if they aren't fans of Dan or his movies full stop. They are less likely to have seen it anyway.
    I think it shows a slight lack of class on Brozzer's part and perhaps a teensie weensie bit of sour grapes.

What irks me though is that he says SP was overlong and had a weak story. Did he ever watch any of his own Bond movies?

He's probably annoyed because SF ripped of TWINE and GE and did both stories better.

Unlike many here, PB probably is just fine with his legacy and he is entitled to say whatever he likes about any movie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/10761541/Pierce-Brosnan-I-was-never-good-enough-as-Bond.html

That's old news, and any person with half a brain knows that this was a humorous remark.

Love the way you are able to just ignore an admission of failure from the actor himself. That's true fandom. Most of the critics and even the actor himself acknowldege he was pretty lame, but you still reckon he was the best Bond since Connery.

I think that's great. Honestly. It's nice to see people feel that strongly about these things.

I always will defend any actor that gets bashed unfairly. 90% of the time it's Brosnan on this forum. Sometimes Dalton and Lazenby.

Why do you think this is? How is it unfair? Because he doesn't deserve it? Because we are all unfair and hate him? Because people here know nothing about Bond, are on a witch hunt against him? Because people just want to hate him for no reason?

Or maybe because his films were weak, cookie cutter creations that were churned out without thought beyond keeping the franchise going forward and making money? Maybe the criticisms are valid. Which is it?
    It's all utter crap and only an excuse for the usual Brosnan haters around here to bash him. It's that simple. Just look at the history of threads on this forum.
    There are dozens of PB bashing threads. Some people are just sick.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It could just be that they deserve it. More so in his case.

He's 6 out of the 6 for me, and for legitimate, justifiable reasons (in the sense that I can argue my case for why he is 6). For me it is not a 'hate' thing. I liked GE.

I've found most criticism of most things on here are not 'hate'. We are all Bond fans. It's the lovers that get sensitive from time to time. I 'love' GE but I can understand why people dislike it and their criticisms, for the most part, are warranted. I still like it but I won't defend its weak parts.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

After your logic Craig has hurt the BO of Spectre a great lot more by his worldwide printed "wrist slashing" remarks.
    Open a thread about that and see what happens.

Uh, have you not read the part in the 1.2 Billion Spectre thread where people say exactly this? The general consensus is that Craig's remarks DID hurt the film.
    It's all utter crap and only an excuse for the usual Brosnan haters around here to bash him. It's that simple. Just look at the history of threads on this forum.
    There are dozens of PB bashing threads. Some people are just sick.

I personally liked Pierce Brosnan as Bond................but it was just unfortunate for him, that each of his subsequent Bond films had lets say a less than great script written for each of them.

• RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512
    So much wittering. Get a grip.
    I like him as well. And I don't hate his films. I just don't like his remarks since he left the role The problem is he was too in love with the idea that he was playing Bond and forgot to actually play him. Now that his dream job is gone and they took it from him and never gave him much to work with it has made him bitter about the whole experience. I don't blame him. Regret is a powerfully damaging emotion for an older man.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It could just be that they deserve it. More so in his case.

He's 6 out of the 6 for me, and for legitimate, justifiable reasons (in the sense that I can argue my case for why he is 6). For me it is not a 'hate' thing. I liked GE.

I've found most criticism of most things on here are not 'hate'. We are all Bond fans. It's the lovers that get sensitive from time to time. I 'love' GE but I can understand why people dislike it and their criticisms, for the most part, are warranted. I still like it but I won't defend its weak parts.

I certainly didn't mean you. It is only a few posters that are taking every opportunity to senselessly bash.
    Having a discussion about an actor or a movie is always good.
    I already have learned a lot from people like you on this forum and even altered some of my opinions on some things Bond.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I already have learned a lot from people like you on this forum and even altered some of my opinions on some things Bond.
    Thank you. Likewise. I have even had some slight (and I mean slight) change in opinion of DAD after reading your defense of that film.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thank you. Likewise. I have even had some slight (and I mean slight) change in opinion of DAD after reading your defense of that film.

Oh Dear, I'm sorry :))
    no, I'm not :))
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    So much wittering. Get a grip.

It's like being back in school - just without the whole "learning" aspect.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

This is where we part company. Roger is a legend in my book. Number 2 out of 6. Brosnan is at the bottom and is likely to stay there unless they decide to replace Craig with Justin Bieber.

Rog can say whatever he likes about the films IMO. He's rarely critical and even when he is he makes me laugh, even if I disagree with him.

If Brosnan had been half the Bond that Moore was, then I'd have been happy.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    But seriously, what is the point of this thread? I'm not one to call the "lock it" card, but I think that this is exactly where it is leading. And for good reason.
    You guys are a right bunch of comedians......aren't you? :)
    Locking threads is so passive aggressive.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The spam threads advertising cosmetic products have more of a purpose than this thread.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think we've had a good discussion here. As I said, I think he has the right to express his opinion (and I agree with it) but he perhaps should not have done it at this moment or even until the blu ray is out and all the money has been made.

The question is, do people think that his opinion is warranted? I do. Some don't.

No doubt, his opinion willl have no where (not even close) to the effect that Craig's infamous (and idiotic) wrist slasher remarks had on box office, although both can't be quantified.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    But seriously, what is the point of this thread? I'm not one to call the "lock it" card, but I think that this is exactly where it is leading. And for good reason.

I second that, it s Bash Brosnan, Defend Brosnan threat which there are 100's of threads doing the same already. Most of the comments I have seen before from the same users.
    The spam threads advertising cosmetic products have more of a purpose than this thread.

=))
    Are the mods asleep..........lock this thread..........now!
    @Getafix

I actually have difficulties ranking the actors, for me it's always first about the movies not the actors.
    The exception may be Dalton because he made two movies that are both in my Top 10. Had he done another 2 or 3 that would be somewhere in the middle or possibly one somewhere at the bottom, I may look differently upon him.
    I don't really care what Brosnan says about Bond. I've never actually heard him say anything remotely insightful or interesting about the character or the films, other than admitting that his own performances were not up to scratch and that he didn't get the character. Apart from that, his comments on Bond usually come across as those of an ill-informed fanboy.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    He has admittedly made some pretty big gaffes regarding his general knowledge of Fleming. I remember seeing an interview with him and Robert Patterson in which he said "there was only 7 books by Fleming" #-o

Perhaps Moore (or even Connery) aren't experts on Fleming, but i'd like to think they'd admit their lack of knowledge before stating an incorrect fact.
This discussion has been closed.