The SPECTRE vs Skyfall battle! (simple question)

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    I watched Skyfall after Spectre.

That's like watchimg DAF after FRWL.

Ouch! Whilst I agree SP is twice the Bond movie that Skyfall is I'm not sure I'd put it quite so harshly...

What I find curious is that a lot of the criticism by ‘pro SF fans’ aimed at SP seems to be about the liberties it takes with the 007-canon and not having a satisfying enough ending – two issues which are at least, if not more so, present in Skyfall… the DB5 nonsense is far more jarring than any of the 'twists' SP offers up & the Straw Dogs shootout at the mansion was not something I need in a Bondfilm.
    At least SP has the stunts & entertainment value to make up for it. I had no wish or inclination to go and see SF a second time after stepping out of the cinema 3 years ago, whereas I’m looking forward to seeing SP a 2nd time before the end of the year (I like to leave a few weeks between the two viewings to enhance it)

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    HASEROT wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    I watched Skyfall after Spectre.

That's like watchimg DAF after FRWL.

Ouch! Whilst I agree SP is twice the Bond movie that Skyfall is I'm not sure I'd put it quite so harshly...

What I find curious is that a lot of the criticism by ‘pro SF fans’ aimed at SP seems to be about the liberties it takes with the 007-canon and not having a satisfying enough ending – two issues which are at least, if not more so, present in Skyfall… the DB5 nonsense is far more jarring than any of the 'twists' SP offers up & the Straw Dogs shootout at the mansion was not something I need in a Bondfilm.
    At least SP has the stunts & entertainment value to make up for it. I had no wish or inclination to go and see SF a second time after stepping out of the cinema 3 years ago, whereas I’m looking forward to seeing SP a 2nd time before the end of the year (I like to leave a few weeks between the two viewings to enhance it)

or you have people like me.. who really liked both... i guess i am just easy to please :O) <:-P

You seem to be a rare breed ;)
    Haven't met many people (neither here on the board, nor in my circle of friends/colleagues) who liked both SF and SP.

For the record - I don't think SF is awful, it has it's redeeming qualities, but it's not what I'd call a great night in. Re-watched it two weeks ago and I just found it fell rather flat - the PTS can't hold a candle to that of SP and it seems we only get a proper 007 in the Macau scene (which is great btw), other than that it's a movie about Silva's revenge on M that happens to involve Bond stressing about in Westminster...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I have been thinking about this SF vs SP thing for a few days. Some of the posts regarding SF are interesting. The main one is that SF was "underwhelming," and this struck me and got me thinking about the different types of Bond fans there are.

There is SO MUCH in the Bond canon to pick and choose and enjoy. In investigating my own preferences, I've found that I enjoy the understated, moody, slower-moving Bond films. Three of my top four are just like that: TB, SF, and GF. Each is controlled, calculating, with the big action sequences reserved for the end. They are slow to unravel. I like that. I enjoy watching Bond as a character more than an action figure.

Other fans, it seems, are the opposite: enjoying more action and thrilling sequences. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

SP had a little for everyone. I enjoyed it. But unlike the three faves listed above, SP didn't build to a satisfying climax (yes, the sexual innuendo there is sorta intentional!) I wonder if Mendes put the helicopter fight (with the barrel roll) in the wrong place. It should have been reserved for the end, in a fight to the death with Hinx, with Blofeld on board, and everything at stake. As is, Bond merely shoots his way through things, without much hassle, in leaving the lair and nabbing Blofeld. Talk about underwhelming.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    I wonder if Mendes put the helicopter fight (with the barrel roll) in the wrong place. It should have been reserved for the end, in a fight to the death with Hinx, with Blofeld on board, and everything at stake.
    That's a good idea actually.

I have not been privy to the script leaks, so don't know if there was another set piece planned for Morocco. I almost think there should have been because it ended awfully fast and rather stupidly imho.

Regarding the London ending and shooting down the copter, I think that might have been tacked on at the end as well.

It's difficult to tell without having info on the script revisions. Budget concerns may have reduced some large set pieces.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    [ all the Bond films released between DIE ANOTHER DAY and SP are in my Top Eleven, I think that is probably true for many on here, so being the worst since DAD really isn't that drastic or insulting to the film.
    what-are-you-talking-about.jpg
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    1. SF
    2. SP
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Is anyone keeping scores? It would be interesting to add some sort of poll.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020

Additionally, all the Bond films released between DIE ANOTHER DAY and SP are in my Top Eleven, I think that is probably true for many on here, so being the worst since DAD really isn't that drastic or insulting to the film.

3 out of 49 rankings include CR QOS and SF. (in the Top 10)
  • Skyfall is a little bit better than Spectre.
    Better but only a little B-)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Is anyone keeping scores? It would be interesting to add some sort of poll.

It's about 50/50.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Additionally, all the Bond films released between DIE ANOTHER DAY and SP are in my Top Eleven, I think that is probably true for many on here, so being the worst since DAD really isn't that drastic or insulting to the film.

6 out of 42 rankings don't, so you can't say that it is true for many on here. For some, yes.

Are you saying 36 out of 42 do have CR/QoS/SF/SP in the top 11? That's many as far as I'm concerned (86%)
    bondjames wrote: »

6 out of 42 rankings don't, so you can't say that it is true for many on here. For some, yes.

Are you saying 36 out of 42 do have CR/QoS/SF/SP in the top 11? That's many as far as I'm concerned (86%)

I'm sorry I misunderstood Birdleson's post.

3 out of 49 rankings include CR QOS and SF. (in the Top 10)

If we look at the Top 11 (like Birdleson) then it's 4 out of 49.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,168
    Score updated (first post)
  • Spectre...there was more about this film that I enjoyed than Skyfall. The 3 min tracking shot of Spectre along with the rest of the opening was more enjoyable than the scenes in Turkey for Skyfall.

Silva's island scenes were weak, along with his interrogation, and the underground chase. There was a lot about Skyfall I liked though. The new MI6, Q's introduction, Moneypenny, the shootout at Skyfall, the final scene...but despite those things Spectre was a consistently more enjoyable film even though it ran a little bit long.

Better opening, better villain, the fact that it literally had everything a fan would want in a Bond film and more puts Spectre ahead of Skyfall for me...
  • Spectre for me. Skyfall is overrated! Spectre was more entertaining and fun for me the way these movies were meant to b! I don't need all that drama! I have enough of it in my life! But I hated the soundtrack. I prefer quantum of whatever! Even I enjoyed that more than skyfall!
  • SP over SF
  • Skyfall over Spectre any day of the week. I would rather take the contrivances of the former over the "big reveal" and feeble attempts to draw the previous films together evidenced in the latter. At least it was fun. I genuinely can't fathom how Bond fans can watch that "twist" in Spectre and think it's anything other than a shark-jumping affront to their sensibilities. It's so poor. Really enjoyed most of the film up to that point but came out with the abiding feelings of anger and soul-crushing disappointment.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Many (including myself) say that QoS epilogues CR and it does, but it is tonally night and day for me, with QoS almost chaotic/frenetic, while CR is very refined and classy, taking its time.

The opening scene of CR is also suitably frenetic, the pace only really calms down once we enter the long middle section of the film, ie the card game. It makes perfect sense for QoS to be zippier because Bond's tearing around the outside world and very angry. They actually work really well when watched back to back.

I'll fly the flag for Quantum any time as there's so much to like - PTS best car chase in many moons, Olga K, the Opera scene, Felix (sorely missing from the last two), the fact that he's actively going against the US government, the exploding hotel etc etc.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 3
    stbell wrote: »
    Skyfall over Spectre any day of the week. I would rather take the contrivances of the former over the "big reveal" and feeble attempts to draw the previous films together evidenced in the latter. At least it was fun. I genuinely can't fathom how Bond fans can watch that "twist" in Spectre and think it's anything other than a shark-jumping affront to their sensibilities. It's so poor. Really enjoyed most of the film up to that point but came out with the abiding feelings of anger and soul-crushing disappointment.

If the reveal of Blofeld (which intentionally modeled itself after the Bond of the 60s) crushed your soul as you claim, you need to rethink your life.

It's only a movie, and an incredibly well shot one at that. I love the fact that everything I loved from classic Bond showed up in it. It did run a little bit long, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable. And from the looks of it, more people on here are with me in thinking it was better than Skyfall...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Spectre by a hair
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,043
    1. SF
    2. SP

I just think SF is a better film, SF doesn't falter in it's final stretch, from the moment Silva escapes (I don't care about the plot holes) it doesn't let up and the Scotland climax blows away most of SF's set pieces bar the PTS.

As someone said SF is a far more taut film and I missed that emotional edge that if had, still my favourite Craig film very closely followed by CR.

I like SP quite a bit, it would still be top 10 but I just like SF much more.

BJB006 your slagging off of Skyfall in every SPECTRE thread is getting tiresome, comparing it to DAF is just ridiculous.
    Birdleson, I really couldn't care less about your "credentials". At the end of the day, its just your opinion! You hate SP?, Fine. I hate DAD. Also Fine. But I would reckon there are more reasons to say that DAD is the worst in the series than SP!
    Lousy script and Direction, with godawful one liners, poor acting (at least Brossa felt in good company this time), terrible effects, unexciting action, and lets not forget Madonnas dire theme (though God knows, I've tried!). But hey, that's just MY opinion!
    Birdleson, "theres a useful four letter word..and you're full of it"
  • Specter over Skyfall
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    1. SF
    2. SP
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425
    TripAces wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this SF vs SP thing for a few days. Some of the posts regarding SF are interesting. The main one is that SF was "underwhelming," and this struck me and got me thinking about the different types of Bond fans there are.

There is SO MUCH in the Bond canon to pick and choose and enjoy. In investigating my own preferences, I've found that I enjoy the understated, moody, slower-moving Bond films. Three of my top four are just like that: TB, SF, and GF. Each is controlled, calculating, with the big action sequences reserved for the end. They are slow to unravel. I like that. I enjoy watching Bond as a character more than an action figure.

Other fans, it seems, are the opposite: enjoying more action and thrilling sequences. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

SP had a little for everyone. I enjoyed it. But unlike the three faves listed above, SP didn't build to a satisfying climax (yes, the sexual innuendo there is sorta intentional!) I wonder if Mendes put the helicopter fight (with the barrel roll) in the wrong place. It should have been reserved for the end, in a fight to the death with Hinx, with Blofeld on board, and everything at stake. As is, Bond merely shoots his way through things, without much hassle, in leaving the lair and nabbing Blofeld. Talk about underwhelming.

Not sure if I put GF in the 'moody, slower' category!

GF is an all guns blasting full on classic. TB and SF are both overrated, slightly tedious entries, although TB is still a lot better than SF.