The SPECTRE vs Skyfall battle! (simple question)

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) SF (count me in the by far crowd)
    2) SP

I guess it's not surprising that opinions are so strong one way or the other considering how different they are.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1) SP

2)SF
  • 1. SPECTRE
    2. SkyFall
    .....but not my much at all. Both are in my top 5
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Very different films.

I'm actually finding it hard to separate them right now. After one SP viewing I'm seeing them both as very similar - maybe its the Mendes-ness, and the Thomas Newman score that repeats cues in both films, the political goings-on at MI6. SF and SP could be one near 5 hour long film, just as people like to say CR and QOS could be one long film (though in that case I think CR is miles better than QOS and stylistically very different).

• 1. SF
    2. SP
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    1) SP
    2) SF
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    1. Skyfall (considerably)
    2. Spectre
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Very different films.

I'm actually finding it hard to separate them right now. After one SP viewing I'm seeing them both as very similar - maybe its the Mendes-ness, and the Thomas Newman score that repeats cues in both films, the political goings-on at MI6. SF and SP could be one near 5 hour long film, just as people like to say CR and QOS could be one long film (though in that case I think CR is miles better than QOS and stylistically very different).

I agree with you that there is a continuation aspect to SF/SP like there was with CR/QoS, and Mendes influence is clear in both, but I meant 'different' due to the tones.

Many (including myself) say that QoS epilogues CR and it does, but it is tonally night and day for me, with QoS almost chaotic/frenetic, while CR is very refined and classy, taking its time.

I felt the same way with SP. SF is dark. SP starts off in a very humorous way (unlike SF) and then gets a little darker near the end, but never goes to the same level as SF. It's much more light hearted.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,044
    1. Spectre
    2. Skyfall
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,168
    TripAces wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Score so far:

First place
    SP: 11
    SF: 8

Given that this site is full of SF contrarians (who hate SF just to hate it), the result isn't surprising. The rest of the world knows SF is by far the better film. :P
    So critique is hate "just to hate it"? Been there, done that. I remember criticizing SF here when it came out. Remember being called "not a proper Bond fan". Remember being told to "go back and watch DAD", and so forth... There are really some true SF-believers - or actually fanatics - on this board.

But...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

SF probably appeals to a larger crowd, whereas SP is more a fan-pleaser. This is by no means a scientific study to reveal the "best" movie. Just the personal favorite of the users on this board.
    1.SF
    2.SP
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. SP
    2. SF
  • 1. SF
    2. SP
    1. SP
    2. SF
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • 1) Spectre (Considerably more)
    2) Skyfall
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,874
    For me
    Skyfall
    SPECTRE

I like both, but something's just not gelling with me for SPECTRE. Still top drawer entertainment though.
    Think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a stand-alone film and not trying to tie all previous DC films together.
    Spectre

(Way down the list)
    Skyfall
    Score updated.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 533
    "SPECTRE" is sooooooo much better than "SKYFALL". Whereas the 2012 movie ranks near the bottom of the EON Productions in general for me, "SPECTRE" ranks among the top ten.
    DRush76 wrote: »
    "SPECTRE" is sooooooo much better than "SKYFALL". Whereas the 2012 ranks near the bottom of the EON Productions in general, "SPECTRE" ranks among the top ten.

• DsyferDsyfer Philippines
    1) Skyfall
    2) Spectre
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This question is the epitome of a no-brainer:

SPECTRE
    P
    E
    C
    T
    R
    E
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    SP, for all it's flaws, has several actual 'James Bond' moments, at the very least. SF has just one - the final scene in M's office. That just doesn't cut it, no matter how much melodrama you inject into it.

1. SP

2. SF
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @DRush76 quoting your own post don't make it so!
    Skyfall for me, but not by too much. I still really, really like Spectre
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    SPECTRE

1. SP
    2. SF
    Well, I think it unfair to say if you put SF second you hate it!!
    As I've said before, I came out of SF screening a bit underwhelmed, and watching it now, hasn't changed my view. SP, I have only seen TWICE, (back again to see it Wednesday) but it just feels more Bondian (If that's a word?). More entertaining.
    SF has much to admire, but it really doesn't have as many memorable scenes or set pieces as SP, therefore it has to come second!
    When I left the theater on Friday night after seeing Spectre, all I could think about was how much I missed seeing SkyFall in the theater and the joy it brought me. Spectre was a massive letdown for me, whereas SkyFall got me going. I prefer basically everything SkyFall did over anything Spectre did. Silva was the better villain, Craig put out the better performance, the action and dialogue were superior, and the climax was far stronger. I struggled to be thrilled by Spectre; SkyFall, on the other hand, had me gripped from the beginning. I thought the emotional appeal in SkyFall was far more genuine and effective than what seemed to be attempted in Spectre, which made it feel very manufactured.