Walther PPK talk

edited October 2015 in SPECTRE Posts: 352
What are your thoughts on the return of the PPK to the films? Do you feel Bond should have a different standard sidearm? What about the PPK with suppressors?

Comments

• I really love the return of the PPK. I think it makes from a Bond history stand point, but from a realistic standpoint, why would the standard mi6 weapon be a Walther PPK? The only thing I can think of is that it is smaller and less clunky. But ideally, i would imagine the agency would want their agents to be equipped with more bullets, and the P99 i believe had a magazine of 15 or so bullets? BUT.... I still love the fact that they brought it back. I wish they would have explained it coming back tho.
  • It's been forever since I have been the PPK with a silencer/suppressor, i think the last time I seen him with a silenced PPK was in GoldenEye, and the last time he shot a silenced PPK was in Dr. No... I might be wrong tho.
  • I believe in Goldeneye, when Bond was fighting with the pilot inside the plane during the PTS, he shot the guard on the motorcycle with the silenced PPK as he approached the plane. It could have been the pilots gun, so I also might be wrong. I haven't watched GE in quite some time now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,423
    No, he actually shot the guard with their own Makarov PM 59 that the pilot raised to shoot Bond once he entered the plane.

gzD3PDo.png
    iihPhCi.png

Bond was also seen attaching a suppressor to his PPK in the hotel scene in Tomorrow Never Dies. But, that was the last time we've seen him using it in a film.
    What are your thoughts on the return of the PPK to the films? Do you feel Bond should have a different standard sidearm? What about the PPK with suppressors?
    Well everyone glad Walther PPK returned. So am I. I shot that gun once. I never the new Walther pistols. Have you seen the new Walther PPQ M2 with 45 calibre? Don't expect the PPK version. It look great with 380 calibre.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think Bond should have a a more modern gun. The PPK is a classic, sure, but no one would would say its the best for an assassin to carry today, and Bond should always be equipped with the best. At this point it's just mindless nostalgia.
    Well, I disagree on that one. The modern-made PPK's under the manufacturing of Smith & Wesson are far more effective than any compact pistol one could conceal. Besides, Bond is not just an assassin, but more of a government agent. If you ask me, the newer Walther pistols seem to be really bulky, especially the P99, to which I am glad it was shown the way out to the door. A Glock 38 is a close second to my preference of Bond picking up a sidearm.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I wouldn't say the p99 is an ideal concealed carry choice either.
  • The PPS looks just like the P99 but is the size of the PPK.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The PPK never really left. It just sits out every now and then, i.e. DN, MR, OP (except for the title sequence), NSNA, TWINE and DAD. It appears in CR's PTS for the gun barrel sequence. I'm happy for him to use the P99, PPQ, PPX- or whatever the latest model will be (as long as the design looks good- the PPS looks like crap), but he must always go back to the PPK. I like the idea of the custom PPK in Skyfall. The "PPK/S" reference is an existing model, but apparently within the film the 'S' stands for 'Signature' (palm print reader). Similarly, I had an idea for my fan fiction story where Bond uses the PPQ- with the 'Q' standing for 'Quiet', and also referring to a custom design by Q, who invents an internal suppressor technology. I'd like for them to continue playing around with PPK variants and mixing things up every now and then.
    He had the Walther PPK all the way in the film. Who expect him with a new Walther?
    QBranch wrote: »
    The PPK never really left. It just sits out every now and then, i.e. DN, MR, OP (except for the title sequence), NSNA, TWINE and DAD. It appears in CR's PTS for the gun barrel sequence. I'm happy for him to use the P99, PPQ, PPX- or whatever the latest model will be (as long as the design looks good- the PPS looks like crap), but he must always go back to the PPK. I like the idea of the custom PPK in Skyfall. The "PPK/S" reference is an existing model, but apparently within the film the 'S' stands for 'Signature' (palm print reader). Similarly, I had an idea for my fan fiction story where Bond uses the PPQ- with the 'Q' standing for 'Quiet', and also referring to a custom design by Q, who invents an internal suppressor technology. I'd like for them to continue playing around with PPK variants and mixing things up every now and then.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Walther wanted them to use the Walther P5 for Octopussy, I think it was standard issue to West German police at the time.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @tigers99 Having a quick look on imfdb just now, and you are correct- Walther wanted to promote the new pistol for OP. Happily for them it made its way into NSNA as well. What I just learned is that OP and NSNA were the first two films to feature it, and Dario even used it in LTK! (drug lab scene where Dario exposes Bond as informer)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Walther_P5#Film
    http://www.imfdb.org/images/3/37/Ltk-p5b.jpg
    @tigers99 Having a quick look on imfdb just now, and you are correct- Walther wanted to promote the new pistol for OP. Happily for them it made its way into NSNA as well. What I just learned is that OP and NSNA were the first two films to feature it, and Dario even used it in LTK! (drug lab scene where Dario exposes Bond as informer)

Indeed, it was in NSNA and used by Dario too.
    tigers99 wrote: »

Indeed, it was in NSNA and used by Dario too.
    Yes, the moment he pressed the gunbarrel onto Bond's back in that facility.
  • The moment where he
    shot the two men that were about to kill Sciarra - it was amazing. He was crewing the silencer off the PPK and I was completely enthralled!