SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote: »
    This is crazy. When I saw SF and stated that I thought it was disappointing I got hellfire for it. Now I say I absolutely love SP without reservation and all these peeps are blasting away at it left & right.... :-O

I noticed a poll on here which had a majority of fans voting for SP over SF, so it's perhaps just that those with a negative view are more vociferous.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just got back from my first viewing. Absolute classic Bond with a capital B for me. Craig is beyond badass in this, I will get killed for this but he has arrived at Sean Connery's level with this film. Loved all the humour in this - the car chase got some big laughter at the showing I was at. Even Newman impressed me - I want him to stay for Bond 25. Some of the stuff is out-of-this-world level of awesome - the PTS, the train fight, the SPECTRE meet, the car chase, the Mr White sequence, the plane vs car chase.

I have to watch it again but for now it sits a #2 behind only my all-time favorite - TMWTGG.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This is crazy. When I saw SF and stated that I thought it was disappointing I got hellfire for it. Now I say I absolutely love SP without reservation and all these peeps are blasting away at it left & right.... :-O

Very simple, SF is the holy grail for some of the Craig fans.
    They can't cope with the fact that SP delivers a proper humorous Bond with OTT action.
    They have to adapt to reality first.

Very simple, SF is the holy grail for some of the Craig fans.
    They can't cope with the fact that SP delivers a proper humorous Bond with OTT action.
    They have to adapt to reality first.
    And some people are so insecure that they feel the need to try and explain away those who have the temerity to hold an opinion which simply differs from their own.

Desk
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Desk wrote: »
    some people are so insecure that they feel the need to try and explain away those who have the temerity to hold an opinion which simply differs from their own.
    OOooo, a little sensitive there, my friend?
    :))

SP is a better movie than SF and it can be proven from many different perspectives. Now CR vs. SP? Here you are talking preference. But any who feel the need to 'like' SF over SP- more power to ya. I like TMWTGG better than TSWLM even though TSWLM is clearly the better made film...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well, its all a matter of perspective.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, its all a matter of perspective.
    Who are you? Obi-Wan Kenobi?
    ;)
  • Just got back from my first viewing. Absolute classic Bond with a capital B for me. Craig is beyond badass in this, I will get killed for this but he has arrived at Sean Connery's level with this film. Loved all the humour in this - the car chase got some big laughter at the showing I was at. Even Newman impressed me - I want him to stay for Bond 25. Some of the stuff is out-of-this-world level of awesome - the PTS, the train fight, the SPECTRE meet, the car chase, the Mr White sequence, the plane vs car chase.

I have to watch it again but for now it sits a #2 behind only my all-time favorite - TMWTGG.

TMWTGG is by most reckonings one of the worst (usually THE worst) bond film there is.
    It says a lot about SP that it's your second favourite.

@Desk You speak the truth. There was a lot of self delusion when DAD came out. I predict that when the dust settles SP will be seen as a poor to middling effort in the series. I enjoyed it but after a little reflection it just feels so hollow. Worse still it saddles the series with the mother of all stupid twists.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge

You have a lot of support this time though.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 24
    some people are so insecure that they feel the need to try and explain away those who have the temerity to hold an opinion which simply differs from their own.

SP is a better movie than SF and it can be proven from many different perspectives. Now CR vs. SP? Here you are talking preference. But any who feel the need to 'like' SF over SP- more power to ya. I like TMWTGG better than TSWLM even though TSWLM is clearly the better made film...
    My own personal opinion is that Spectre, for all its many faults, is a better film than Skyfall. And that's not to say that it's great, by any means.

But that's all it is - an opinion. My opinion. Entirely subjective, and based on personal tastes and views. It's not any more right than anyone else's.

To suggest that one film can be proven to be better than another, or that any one person's individual opinion is right or wrong, is, quite simply, nonsense.

Desk

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

[-X
    To suggest that one film can be proven to be better than another, or that any one person's individual opinion is right or wrong, is, quite simply, nonsense.
    Oh tosh. It's all mathematical. If in YOUR OPINION 4>5, you may feel free to believe it, though.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You can't convince someone who disliked it that they did, or vice versa. Only time and repeated viewings can do either.
    Oh no, not saying that. I'm just saying you can turn a film into numbers and see objectively which films are superiour to others based on agreed upon criteria.
    Now if two films are equally highly rated in this manor, but one is a comedy and the other is a drama, this is where opinion HAS to come in.
    "I'm just saying you can turn a film into numbers"
    Where do the numbers come from? A computer?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Are we not allowed to like all of the DC films? Kinda like asking, "Am I not allowed to say that Eva Green, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, and Lea Seydoux are all attractive women?" Preferences my exist, but why must there be some definitive discussion on which is best? Sure, I may find Marlohe a little more attractive, but gee whiz, that doesn't mean I'm kicking Gemma, Eva, or Lea out of bed for eating crackers.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Preferences my exist, but why must there be some definitive discussion on which is best?

Because what the Hell else would we be doing on here?

To bash Brosnan :))
  • RC7 wrote: »
    I noticed a poll on here which had a majority of fans voting for SP over SF, so it's perhaps just that those with a negative view are more vociferous.

Or those with a negative view of SF are fed up with being called idiots who want nothing but a formulaic Bond etc etc ?
    *raises hand*
    I plead guilty to idiocy.
    *raises hand*
    I plead guilty to idiocy.

I'll plead guilty to anything as long as I get to see Spectre a fifth time at the cinema!
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Or those with a negative view of SF are fed up with being called idiots who want nothing but a formulaic Bond etc etc ?

There is also that.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Preferences my exist, but why must there be some definitive discussion on which is best?

I am not a fan of Brosnans era at all. I love Dan's tenure but give me GE over Spectre. GE flows a lot better in a far better balanced movie and was not as predictable as Spectre. But that productions fault too much about the film was used in TV spots, production diaries and cast interviews I. E Swann was White's daughter. Oberhausers "author of all your pain". A case of too much salt in the Stew.
  • Birdleson wrote: »

I am not a fan of Brosnans era at all. I love Dan's tenure but give me GE over Spectre. GE flows a lot better in a far better balanced movie and was not as predictable as Spectre. But that productions fault too much about the film was used in TV spots, production diaries and cast interviews I. E Swann was White's daughter. Oberhausers "author of all your pain". A case of too much salt in the Stew.

I think the weakest flaw of "GoldenEye" was the acting. And I never got a goosebump or scare when watching Alex Trevelyan. The action in SP for me also looked more...stylish. Never cared so much about a tank chase. Then I prefer doing it a bit low-key
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I love Dan's tenure but give me GE over Spectre.
    Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • GE is structurally sound - moves well. I still hate the CGI plane-hopping at the beginning but it's aged well and is easily Brosnan's finest. I'm going to SP again next week now the hype has died a bit and look forward to a second view. I suspect, in comparison, I may feel a 'lag' in some sections - it is a long (though I didn't feel it first time round) and the third act bothers me..but we'll see. Report back next week!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Now you know how it fells :D But seriously, I would expect less people to like SF than SP. I love them both for different reasons but I can see myself watching SP a lot more than SF! I haven't had this much fun watching a Bond film since, well, OP /:)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    Final impression:
    It's a great 'by the numbers' 'run of the mill' Bond film. It checks all the boxes, and gives the 'hardcore' fans what they want. I certainly enjoyed it more this time. However, it doesn't do anything more than that......at all. So it ends up feeling mediocre. Like an episode of a serial. There's a deja vu element.......nice but not necessary (after all we have a massive back catalogue to view if we want to reminisce)

So basically what we're left with is a a series of (dull) action sequences with some nice throw back fan favourite moments for Bond aficionados. Ultimately, it is, as has been said, a film for us Bond nutters.

As I said in my original review, it's fun, but it could have been so, so much more. I enjoyed it, but then it was made for me and me only.....since it's ultimately a 'love letter' to us fans.
    A love letter IMO shows that love is here and now, which means SP would be more of a nostalgic letter to some long gone love.
    I consider myself a hardcore fan, all the more so I feel hurt by things such as Bond visiting Dr. Swann in a clinic on top of alpine mountains, and then drowning that potentially breathtaking backdrop in fog. Or by showing some kind of Orient Express luxury train and making it look like the local tram. Or by showing exotic and potentially stunning locations and drowning all that beauty underneath cloudy skies and colour filters. All those things are certainly not things I as hardcore fan want.

Murdock wrote: »
    I don't. They should finish what they started. I hate when loose ends are ignored like OHMSS to DAF.
    You mean finish what they started with CR and QoS, or what they started with SF, or what they started with SP?

GE is structurally sound - moves well. I still hate the CGI plane-hopping at the beginning but it's aged well and is easily Brosnan's finest. I'm going to SP again next week now the hype has died a bit and look forward to a second view. I suspect, in comparison, I may feel a 'lag' in some sections - it is a long (though I didn't feel it first time round) and the third act bothers me..but we'll see. Report back next week!

I never hear complaints from others about Boris but I consider his to be the worst & most annoying character in a Bond movie since the sheriff in LALD & TMWTGG. I also didn't care for the CIA Wade character who came off more as possibly a European's view of a stereotypical American tourist.

GE also had the tired Bond cliche of Russian traitors as part of its plot. This plot device has been used in several Bond movies now. It's never sat well w/me that an enemy of Russia must always be an enemy of Bond. It didn't sit well w/me in the previous Bond movies when Russia was still part of the Soviet Union and it doesn't sit well w/me here where Russia (before Putin) was in the hands of western bankers and capitalists. And don't even get me started on the globalist media-pandering story angle involving the stupid Nazi-collaborator bit.

I prefer TWINE to GE but still find GE mostly very entertaining.

• Guys? Above 6 mins of the 7,5 min car chase. I am sorry, but...I love it :)) =))! It's so funny, and it indeed reminds me a lot of the "FYEO"-car chase and the "UNCLE"-car chase. It has this joyous Remy Julienne-esque fun! And Bond's gestures...the way he responds to all these not-working gadgets is simply priceless. Not to mention 009's music choice =)). Oooowh, and WHY are people so serious when watching this sweet granddaddy in his Fiat 'Topolino' :-P?? It's so well executed.

Other criticism I don't understand: "Those damned empty streets in Rome. It's unrealistic". Man, ENJOY this stuff. Put a smile on your face. And if you watch closely you see that Bond encounters this Fiat 'Topolino' 500 (also a reference to the light blue Fiat 500 from "GoldenEye"?), but is almost hit by two other vehicles (An Iveco truck, another SUV) and charmingly greets a beggar on the streets of Rome when Bond safely lands with his parachute. Priceless.

One thing about the criticism regarding Hinx and that he is everywhere without a clear good reason: Rewatch Jaws in "TSWLM" and Grant in "FRWL". And then ask yourself what the HELL you expect from a henchman X( !
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 5,767
    It has this joyous Remy Julienne-esque fun! And Bond's gestures...the way he responds to all these not-working gadgets is simply priceless. Not to mention 009's music choice =)). Oooowh, and WHY are people so serious when watching this sweet granddaddy in his Fiat 'Topolino' :-P?? It's so well executed.

Other criticism I don't understand: "Those damned empty streets in Rome. It's unrealistic". Man, ENJOY this stuff. Put a smile on your face.
    I will put a smile on my face as soon as I enjoy a film scene. And I did enjoy Bond´s reactions. I was not annoyed that Bond talks to MP on the phone while being chased by Hinx. But I was annoyed that the car chase wasn´t exciting at all. I mean, it´s obvious that they put a lot of effort into it. But, come on, there are too many exciting car chases on film to be impressed by this, and I´m not talking about the bloody Fiat, I mean the whole thing. Off the top of my head I can think of TMWTGG, OP, Ronin, Miami Vice, who all had so much more excitement in car chases than this piece. I can do with serious, I can do with funny, I´m not afraid of the different (I love QoS), and I certainly wanted to enjoy this Rome chase. But as sorry as I am, it just doesn´t work the way it is done.

Hey, question to detail-types here: did the last bullet go into a vent atop Blofeld's helicopter? That's what I seem to remember seeing. I'm having words with a weapons expert that says a bullet from a PPK wouldn't penetrate Helicopter aluminum at that distance, but if my memory's correct it didn't have to...