SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

Comments

Tomorrow is the day for me! 7 PM!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    22 hours to go until I see it.
    Out of Craig's bond films how does it rank??? I am going to see it when it comes out. My first bond movie in theaters.

If you like Brosnan and Moore Bond movies you'll love it.
    Otherwise you will be in trouble.

Oh no. I hate the Brosnan Bond films but I love the Moore ones as Moore could do the comedy well, the films revolved around humour and they didn't try too hard like they did with the Brosnan movies.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Out of Craig's bond films how does it rank??? I am going to see it when it comes out. My first bond movie in theaters.

From what I've heard about Spectre, it embraces the "Bond formula" far more than anything we have seen in the Craig era. If true, that worries me. Particularly because it strays from the tone and characterization of Bond in CR and QOS, which I really enjoyed.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Ok, just saw it. Really, really great. Definitely a top 5 easily. I need to see it a second time to have a more accurate opinion. The entire way through I had a huge grin on my face. All I kept thinking within the first 5 minutes was when I would be seeing it again.
  • So I was lucky enough to go to an early screening in the USA tonight (and will be seeing it in IMAX again tomorrow), but I thought it was fine. Not great, but not bad either. I'm not someone who is in total love with Skyfall and I enjoyed Skyfall more.

Characters were thin (Hinx, Swann & Oberhauser), and the plot was a lot more 'leap of faith' than I thought we'd see from Craig & Mendes. Fun action, good lines, and a great performance from Craig.

For Craig's films I'd go:

CR: 9/10
    QoS: 6/10
    SF: 8/10
    SP: 7/10
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,594

From what I've heard about Spectre, it embraces the "Bond formula" far more than anything we have seen in the Craig era. If true, that worries me. Particularly because it strays from the tone and characterization of Bond in CR and QOS, which I really enjoyed.

Yeah, to me it seems strange that we get a Bond who goes from having a fairly serious more Flemingsque personality to a comedian. I haven't seen the film so I won't say too much but it seems like a pretty unrealistic character arc. Why haven't they developed Oberhauser's and Swann's characters more after the decent characterisation that we got in CR and SF? Especially seeing this film is supposed to tie together all the Bond films. Well, if Ober is in the next one then maybe they'll develop him more. Why is it that the Bond team seem to think that to top the previous Bond film that they have to put in more and bigger, less realistic action and comedy instead of enriching the characters and the plot?
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    So I was lucky enough to go to an early screening in the USA tonight (and will be seeing it in IMAX again tomorrow), but I thought it was fine. Not great, but not bad either. I'm not someone who is in total love with Skyfall and I enjoyed Skyfall more.

Characters were thin (Hinx, Swann & Oberhauser), and the plot was a lot more 'leap of faith' than I thought we'd see from Craig & Mendes. Fun action, good lines, and a great performance from Craig.

For Craig's films I'd go:

CR: 9/10
    QoS: 6/10
    SF: 8/10
    SP: 7/10
    More or less I agree. I think we've seen Craig be better tho, he kinda seemed tired in this movie.

For me it's almost same

CR 9/10
    QoS 6/10
    SF: 9/10
    SP: 7(.5)/10

It could have been better and that's what annoys me..it had a potential to be even better. I enjoyed it tho. If I like it after my second viewing..I might even round it up to 8 (or if I don't i'll make it a 7/10)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    AceHole wrote: »
    SJK91 wrote: »

I'm in trouble. ;)

I couldn't disagree moore. If you found the Brosnan and Moore movies too frivolous but also found Craig's first two a bit sparse and austere then SP is right on the money.

Spectre is the best of both worlds.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

RC7 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Right then. FINALLY seen it. So, I'll get straight to the point:

First viewing - 4th Nov '15

No two ways about it - 'SPECTRE' is indulgent, playful and cocky, which is i.m.o exactly what had been missing from Craig's tenure up until now. There is a sense of irresistible boyish charm abundant that evokes the spirit of Indiana Jones and yes, early Bond.

The PTS immediately sets the tone, with DC gliding across the scenery with such a swagger that you can't help but chuckle and think to yourself that the Bond of old is back. Dan looks so 'in the zone' here that it makes you wonder if he even had to try. This is Craig's Bond film. And he grabs it by the scruff of the neck.
    Whatever Skyfall was sorely missing, SPECTRE has. It isn't particularly smart, and there are things that slightly better writing & a more subtle approach here and there could have done for it. But to hell with post-modern angst and trying to please everyone (yes, SF again...) - I haven't had this much FUN watching a 007 flick since... the 80's? Yes, that sounds about right.

Somewhat inevitably this high doesn't quite last the full 150 mins & it rather runs out of steam toward the middle of the 3rd act - Mendes & co. seem to have forgotten that to successfully offer up a beast like this also requires you to pull off a coherent ending. But be honest - even the best Bond movies don't always conclude with a proper climax, do they.
    Chill, sit back & above all: enjoy :D

The good:

- Old fashioned & bold PTS. Far and away the best opening since TLD...
    - Escapism & realism are finally both present in equal measure - not overdoing it but still giving the punters what they crave.
    - DC is solid as a rock. His ultimate Bondfilm (so far).

The not so good:

- Doesn't really know how to close the deal.
    - Alpine setting had so much more potential.
    - Forgettable Bondgirls.

Great review @AceHole and some fair points both for and against, although I really do like Swann.

No problem with her acting, i just didn't find her appealing or very memorable...
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 188
    Quick review: I loved it. Not loved as in totally awed, but as in thoroughly entertained.
    - Look: nice cinematography, not as crisp and shiny as I would have liked sometimes
    - Plot/Screenplay: fairy middle of the road, funny dialog
    - Actors:
    Waltz: realistic, (i.e. believably psychopathic) portrayal; knocks it out of the park
    Craig: great, as usual, although I do love me some tortured Bond
    Sedeoux: good but not great
    Belucci: great, though only a small part.
    I disagree with some here who said her role was diminished by he wanting Bond to stay in the end: she doesn't. She says "don't go" rather rationally, as a warning, saying they will kill him.
    Bautista: really scary
    Others: top of their game, especially Whishaw
    that nerd laughter scene!
    - Music: I still don't like Smith's voice. The rest neither impressed nor bothered me - servicable.
    Overall: fun, if not one to talk about for years; went fairly quickly; will see it again

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I thought the titles and theme song were the best of the Craig era.....
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sandy wrote: »
    Just dropped by quickly to say a few words about SPECTRE. I just got home from watching it and what a fun ride it was! I will get around to writing a proper review but for now I'll just say it is absolutely fabulous!

Ah, @Sandy! Glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to reading your ruminations on Spectre.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Well apparently they missed.
    Bounine wrote: »

Yeah, to me it seems strange that we get a Bond who goes from having a fairly serious more Flemingsque personality to a comedian. I haven't seen the film so I won't say too much but it seems like a pretty unrealistic character arc. Why haven't they developed Oberhauser's and Swann's characters more after the decent characterisation that we got in CR and SF? Especially seeing this film is supposed to tie together all the Bond films. Well, if Ober is in the next one then maybe they'll develop him more. Why is it that the Bond team seem to think that to top the previous Bond film that they have to put in more and bigger, less realistic action and comedy instead of enriching the characters and the plot?

I don't think that's the case ...not slapstick. More flippant. Craig's Bond has developed rejuvenated at the end of SF. Why not more flippant? He is more confident and the most experienced character as Mendes pointed out in one of the vlogs.

The cinematic Bond hides behind glibs and comebacks I believe. Not necessarily inconsistent with the character arc.

I haven't seen the film of course but just another possible way if looking at it.
  • RC7RC7
    Bounine wrote: »

Bond is not a comedian in SP.
    I agree with @mcdonbb and @RC7. Bond is not a comedian in SP.

From what I've heard about Spectre, it embraces the "Bond formula" far more than anything we have seen in the Craig era. If true, that worries me.
    Uh uh - the dreaded "Bond formula" which we all grew up on. Can't have that of course. So here's hoping that B25 will keep the action, the gadgets, the women and so forth at a minimum ;-)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    My biggest problem with it is that fact that it tries to embrace all the DC Bond films. For me making CR, and to some extent, QoS, relevant to SPECTRE seems to be stretching things a bit, I would rather have had it as a stand alone film, it's a great Bond film that would work on it's own and setting up future films feature the organisation of SPECTRE.
    Still an entertaining two-and-a-half hours that just fly by.
  • RC7RC7
    My biggest problem with it is that fact that it tries to embrace all the DC Bond films. For me making CR, and to some extent, QoS, relevant to SPECTRE seems to be stretching things a bit, I would rather have had it as a stand alone film, it's a great Bond film that would work on it's own and setting up future films feature the organisation of SPECTRE.

Barbara Broccoli suggests that the unnamed organisation we are aware of by the end of CR has SPECTRE written all over it. I agree with her and their decision to run with it once the rights issue was sorted.

Barbara Broccoli suggests that the unnamed organisation we are aware of by the end of CR has SPECTRE written all over it. I agree with her and their decision to run with it once the rights issue was sorted.

Is Quantum a sub section of SPECTRE??? This is never explained.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Various on screen graphics, and computer shots explain the connection.
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »

It's an entity affiliated with SPECTRE, perhaps a South American branch. The specifics don't matter, whether they work with or for, they operate under the larger umbrella of SPECTRE.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    OK, just came out of seeing Spectre. I'd read the leaked script so obviously had a good idea of how, more or less, it was going to play out but was pretty happy with what I saw, particularly the PTS which was awesome.

My main grumble would be with the rather flat direction and some shortcomings in the Morroco scenes compared to the script.

Tone wise, it felt very similar to SF for me, really don't know where people are getting the idea that Bond is some sort of comedian in this. A few snarky comments here and there but nothing more. Out of the Craig-era films, I'd put it just behind CR but a country mile ahead of QOS and SF.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

It's an entity affiliated with SPECTRE, perhaps a South American branch. The specifics don't matter, whether they work with or for, they operate under the larger umbrella of SPECTRE.

Er, spoiler tags?
  • RC7RC7

Er, spoiler tags?

It's not a spoiler. That is my assumption, not fact.
  • Haha, love how you're covering for the writers RC7. Truth is they ditched quantum when they got the rights to spectre. Like an impetuous child snatching a new toy.

Quantum makes zero sense. Why would an organization like Spectre have a South American Branch? Everything goes through No 1.

Agreed. The truth is they ditched quantum when they got the rights to spectre. However, RC7's analysis still is plausable. However, the linking of the characters is not really explained (Q's lap top???).
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Haha, love how you're covering for the writers RC7. Truth is they ditched quantum when they got the rights to spectre. Like an impetuous child snatching a new toy.

Quantum makes zero sense. Why would an organization like Spectre have a South American Branch? Everything goes through No 1.

Didn't realise you had a doctorate in asset management concerning evil organisations.

It's fiction. You don't keep Quantum just to please OCD fans when you can have SPECTRE. It's not even an issue.
    Agreed. The truth is they ditched quantum when they got the rights to spectre. However, RC7's analysis still is plausable. However, the linking of the characters is not really explained (Q's lap top???).

Of course they ditched them, we all knew that, other than Scaramanga who seems to find it revelatory. It's merely common sense.
    The linking of the characters simply has them as second tier to ESB. The specifics don't matter as they carry no dramatic importance, the only thing you need to know is they were working under ESB[\spoiler]
    Maybe Quantum is a smokescreen of Spectre but with a higher scrabble score for the same number of tiles?

If everyone refers to it as differing names so no wonder it has remained a secret organisation for so long.

I feel too many hold on to things way too tightly and are prone to over analyse what is, whatever they may think, action entertainment not a Le Carré story
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 562
    Great, fans wanting a coherent plot are OCD.