SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I love this film.
    Wow! What a film:

It starts in a way that screams to the audience “this is a Bond movie”. I LOVED the way the orchestral Bond theme kicks in right at the start and flows into the Gunbarrel. It’s top draw.

The film is very well paced and absorbing, with the action beating through the film at delightfully regular intervals. Just when you are on the verge of thinking the film could do with a bit of action now, it delivers with timely aplomb. I certainly never “noticed” this film is the longest in the franchise.

The title sequence is beautiful, it is classic Bond and enhances the Sam Smith song. Loved the images of past Craig era characters too.

I really liked the plot and tying up of the other Craig era films. Yes if you want to take it mega seriously there are plot and narrative holes, but I never felt anything about the film pushed the “suspension of disbelief” I am happy to give all Bond films. Even Ralph Fiennes himself said that Bond films, and he was including Skyfall and Spectre in this, were “escapist nonsense”, and like me, he meant it as a compliment.

The locations are beautiful, varied and contrasting, and are all captured within some fantastic cinematography.

The Bond woman are sensational. Estrella doesn’t have to do much other than look nice, but Lucia Sciarra was amazing – sexy, glamourous, and smoking hot. The chemistry between her and Bond was explosive. The scene with her and Bond in the room together was one of my favourites. Dr Swan was brilliant too, she came across as educated, intelligent, worldly wise, beautiful and sexy. She expressed the grief and emotional turbulence she would have been feeling really convincingly I thought.

Waltz is pure Blofeld and epitomises his organisation. Ruthless, clever, secretive and shadowy.

Mr Hinx is a welcome return of a proper badass henchman. The train fight was brutal and dramatic, and it was actually quite nice to see Bond get truly destroyed. Safe to say he was dead if it wasn’t for Swan. As an aside, I loved the teamwork Bond and Swan showed here. Both were no match for Hinx on their own, but together they defeated him. I thought it was a lovely, subtle nod to how potentially suited to each other these 2 are, and reminded me of the relationship between Bond and Tracy in OHMSS.

Daniel Craig was amazing. He somehow retained his broody, serious, assassin like aura about him whilst delivering more humour in a very natural, flowing way.

In terms of tone I thought it was true to the Craig ere roots. Definitely more light hearted but not in a jarring way. It still retained enough of the darker tone from Skyfall to make it not feel like a giant, blind lurch to the Roger Moore style films.

Whilst the film did at times feel like a “James Bonds Greatest Hits” movie, it did so with just enough creativity to make it still feel fresh, engaging and exciting.

It is a grower too, but we will probably all have to see it multiple times before we can fairly judge it against the rest. Right now I would give it a solid 4 stars out of 5, and I honestly think that if my rating changes at all it will be upwards.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My wife studied at Royal Holloway and she found the article by a Royal Holloway professor. And my thought when I read it: what a load of hogwash!

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/news/newsarticles/positivelyshockingjamesbondwomenandspectre.aspx

Question: anybody else thinks Jinx is better than Madeleine Swann? If I had a girl, I know who I'd want for a positive role model.

Jesus Christ - are you trying to make me have a stroke by posting that?

Who the f**k is this clown? Klaus Dodds Professor of Geopolitics at Holloway University - fair enough I suppose but 'James Bond Expert'?

And which university did you get your degree in James Bond exactly? We can all claim to be a 'James Bond expert' pal but the difference is most of us who write on here haven't managed to blag someone to pay us for spouting dross like this.

On the other hand we do get our professional details right. The quote from Fleming was 'warm blooded heterosexuals in trains, aeroplanes and beds' not stations and airports.

A James Bond expert would have known. A small slip. Takes more than a doctorate in geopolitics and conning someone into publishing your drivel to turn Klaus Dodds into a James Bond expert.

Dave Worral, Charles Helfenstein, Raymond Benson, Graham Rye, @Dragonpol - these are James Bond experts with a body of work to back them up. Despite what you might think you, Klaus, have no authority. None.

And then let's get on the actual content of his thesis which just seems to be a regurgitation of the hackneyed old feminist whining that 'Bond only shags women, they don't get to do very much in the plot' that has been around since when Fleming was still alive. Dodds for chrissakes come up with something original'

Undoubtedly the highlight is this: 'Jinx proves to be adept with weapons and capable of fending off adversaries....Goodnight, in comparison, is a figure of fun'.

Anyone who is a bone fide James Bond expert could tell you that there's only one figure of fun (apart from you Klaus) in that sentence and it's not dear old Mary. If your citing Jinx to back up your arguments you are already on shaky ground my friend.

Of course I realise the point you are trying to make in your bumbling hamfisted way is that Jinx is a capable equal of Bond whereas Goodnight is merely a damsel in distress. We'll just gloss over the scene when Jinx is in distress and has to be rescued by Bond shall we? Just as we shall also gloss over the fact that criticising Mary for wearing a bikini is a bit rich given Halle's gratuitous slow mo tit bouncing entrance

Thanks for the mention, @TheWizardOfIce. We always get a rash of 'experts' every time that a new James Bond film opens at the cinemas. I take it then that you won't be buying Professor Dodds' The World is Not Enough: The Geographies, Genders and Geopolitics of James Bond (Palgrave Macmillan with Lisa Funnell)? :)
    Trigger wrote: »
    Mr Hinx is a welcome return of a proper badass henchman. The train fight was brutal and dramatic, and it was actually quite nice to see Bond get truly destroyed. Safe to say he was dead if it wasn’t for Swan. As an aside, I loved the teamwork Bond and Swan showed here. Both were no match for Hinx on their own, but together they defeated him. I thought it was a lovely, subtle nod to how potentially suited to each other these 2 are, and reminded me of the relationship between Bond and Tracy in OHMSS.

I like your take on this - I didn't make this direct connection but yes it does show a deeper connection than the usual carnal connection or aiming for the greater good of the mission angle by joining forces.

I think we've not seen the end of Hinx, ESB or Madeleine.
    Would that dark brunette chairwoman seen at the meeting be a likely Klebb?
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Zorin61 wrote: »
    andmcit wrote: »

A great read thank you for the link

SkyfallCraig - An excellent review, a great read and I agree with everything you say.

Thanks you both for the kind words.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I like your take on this - I didn't make this direct connection but yes it does show a deeper connection than the usual carnal connection or aiming for the greater good of the mission angle by joining forces.

You mean Bunt.

Course I do - well caught! Thank you @doubleoego I'm thinking of another scary woman!

Thanks. Their relationship in general had that Bond-Tracy quality to it I thought, the way in which Bond "rescues" Swan and then protects her and helps her get through the emotional turmoil she is going through. And then later during the fight when Swan rescues Bond, and similarly helps him out during the torture, a bit like Tracy "rescues" Bond at the ice rink.

And yes the dark brunette woman looked like she would make a great Bunt!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    My wife studied at Royal Holloway and she found the article by a Royal Holloway professor. And my thought when I read it: what a load of hogwash!

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/news/newsarticles/positivelyshockingjamesbondwomenandspectre.aspx

Question: anybody else thinks Jinx is better than Madeleine Swann? If I had a girl, I know who I'd want for a positive role model.

Who the f**k is this clown? Klaus Dodds Professor of Geopolitics at Holloway University - fair enough I suppose but 'James Bond Expert'?

And which university did you get your degree in James Bond exactly? We can all claim to be a 'James Bond expert' pal but the difference is most of us who write on here haven't managed to blag someone to pay us for spouting dross like this.

On the other hand we do get our professional details right. The quote from Fleming was 'warm blooded heterosexuals in trains, aeroplanes and beds' not stations and airports.

A James Bond expert would have known. A small slip. Takes more than a doctorate in geopolitics and conning someone into publishing your drivel to turn Klaus Dodds into a James Bond expert.

Dave Worral, Charles Helfenstein, Raymond Benson, Graham Rye, @Dragonpol - these are James Bond experts with a body of work to back them up. Despite what you might think you, Klaus, have no authority. None.

And then let's get on the actual content of his thesis which just seems to be a regurgitation of the hackneyed old feminist whining that 'Bond only shags women, they don't get to do very much in the plot' that has been around since when Fleming was still alive. Dodds for chrissakes come up with something original'

Undoubtedly the highlight is this: 'Jinx proves to be adept with weapons and capable of fending off adversaries....Goodnight, in comparison, is a figure of fun'.

Anyone who is a bone fide James Bond expert could tell you that there's only one figure of fun (apart from you Klaus) in that sentence and it's not dear old Mary. If your citing Jinx to back up your arguments you are already on shaky ground my friend.

Of course I realise the point you are trying to make in your bumbling hamfisted way is that Jinx is a capable equal of Bond whereas Goodnight is merely a damsel in distress. We'll just gloss over the scene when Jinx is in distress and has to be rescued by Bond shall we? Just as we shall also gloss over the fact that criticising Mary for wearing a bikini is a bit rich given Halle's gratuitous slow mo tit bouncing entrance

Thanks for the mention, @TheWizardOfIce. We always get a rash of 'experts' every time that a new James Bond film opens at the cinemas. I take it then that you won't be buying Professor Dodds' The World is Not Enough: The Geographies, Genders and Geopolitics of James Bond (Palgrave Macmillan with Lisa Funnell)? :)

Chortle. Well I did consider it but I'm far too modest a chap to have named myself in there Draggers!

Oops looks like even the Wizard can be wrong occasionally. Perhaps you might think about updating your wiki or linkedin then Klaus because theres nothing on there that suggests you are a published author on Bond.

Although good luck with hitting Harry Potter sales figures if all you are going to trot out is the same dismal claptrap about Bond being a misogynist that even EON treated as a joke themselves with Judi Dench's little speech in GE 20 years ago now.

(I actually wrote a load more slagging the rest of Klaus's garbage off but my terminally ill Iphone 4 crashed and lost it all and I really couldnt be arsed starting again).

But yes suffice it to say if that article was meant to be a trailer for his book then I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm out Klaus old son. Good luck with your James Bond experting though.
    I cant wait for Klaus's follow up though: 'James Bond Racist Imperialist Overlord: The Case For Idris Elba as 007'
  • O6GO6G
    *This is a SPOILER filled "review" of spectre, and it is also my first time writing something like this. I wanted to get my thoughts out to someone who actually cares, and not pester my friends who arent as big a fan of James Bond as I am.
    * English is not my first language so bare with me.

I went into the theatre having only seen 2 seconds of one of the trailers, 2 posters and a picture. I had also managed to stop myself from reading the plot. All I knew was that there would be a "cryptic message" and that James Bond would end up in the alps somewhere.
    The movie starts off so promising, with the day of the dead parade. I actually anticipated this after seeing the poster with the masked man behind Daniel Craig. The poster made me think about Daniel Craig having said that his favorite Bond movie was Live and let die, and I also think its Sam Mendes' favorite Bond film. Also the fact that the movie was released on Halloween was a clue. Thank god the gun barrel is back at the start of the movie, me and my friends turned to eachother and smiled when it came on. The directing in the start was so well done, with the parade going one way and Bond and one of the villains going the other way. I thought the camera work was fantastic in this scene. As soon as Bond is up on the roof, you can tell Sam Mendes is back with his CGI, which I think most people find subtle, but personally it takes me out of the movie. It looks like a really good Xbox game at certain points. When the house collapses and Bond falls into a couch, I was thinking that Daniel Craig's facial expression and acting really saved what would have been a quite out of place moment if another actor had the role. The whole sequence ends with a fist fight inside an helicopter, that was clearly not done in an helicopter, and took me out of the movie again.

I hadn't heard the title song before watching the movie, and I think that the credit sequence really saves it. It is definetly not a song I'll be walking around listening to on spotify on my phone. Seeing James Bonds appartment, Moneypenny's appartment and generally everyones appartment is not something I want in a James Bond movie, but I really try to let things slide.
    Im tired of writing now, but I just want to say there are 3 issues I have with this movie:
    1. Blofeld is James Bond's step brother? Why would they write that? Why? So stupid. My heart actually sank
    2. The ending makes it seem like James Bond chooses the girl over Mi6? A girl by the way, who he had no chemistry with whatsoever. Monica Bellucci's character seemed much more interesting, and a better match for Daniel Craigs older Bond. Is this possibly Craigs last bond?
    3. Bond and the blonde girl with no emotions take an empty train to tangiere? I have to say this is where one of the best fights in Bond history takes place, but I dont understand why Blofeld would send a car to pick them up.. Maybe because he had them under surveillance? I dont know. Hopefully someone can clear this one up for me.
    All in all I really dont know what to think of this movie right now. I'm going to watch it many more times I'm sure, but right now I'm kind of dissapointed. Blofeld is his step brother?? I dont know if I'll ever get over that one.
    I asked one of my friends right after the movie, if he could remember anything from it. He said no. And so did I. I had to sit down and reflect on what I had experienced to remember anything. I don't know what that says.
    Bond and Blofeld were never step brothers. At best, they could have been consider foster brothers whilst Bond was placed under the temporary guardianship of Hannes Oberhauser following his parents death.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 7,500
    Saw the film today. I liked it although I will need more viewings to decide if its a great Bond film or "only" a good one. The Bond Blofeld "brother" link didn't surprise med at all as I had anticipated it well in advance (as honestly any Bond fan who has read the novels should have as soon as the Oberhauser name was mentioned one year ago). I had no problem with this angle at all. If anything they should have explored the themes from the novel av bit further.

Apart from a lot of nitpicking my only major problem with the film was that Blofeld
    was captured at the end. Would have liked to see him as Bond's adversary in more films
    . (Using spoiler tags just in case). ;)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,068
    You're in a clearly tagged spoliers thread so anyone entering here won't need spoiler tags, it's their look out!!

The ending isn't the end of all this though is it? Put a bullet through ESB's head and that screws Bond25 and more. There's no conclusive proof Hinx didn't survive and whilst it seems Bond has quit the service (if he hadn't already been thrown out?) Madeline will be around for the next one which I imagine is going to be the gloves off main Blofeld versus Bond film
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 7,500
    You're in a clearly tagged spoliers thread so anyone entering here won't need spoiler tags, it's their look out!!

The ending isn't the end of all this though is it? Put a bullet through ESB's head and that screws Bond25 and more. There's no conclusive proof Hinx didn't survive and whilst it seems Bond has quit the service (if he hadn't already been thrown out?) Madeline will be around for the next one which I imagine is going to be the gloves off main Blofeld versus Bond film

I hope you're right! I was so satisfied with how Spectre the organization and Blofeld the character was presented, that I would hate it if it ended with one film. Spectre is Bond's archrival after all. Now that we have that perfect introduction and have the perfect actor in the role, it would be a crime just to leave it at that. Not to mention Bautista as well of course! Clearly the most memorable henchman in the modern era, one that could even rival the great classic ones like Red Grant and Oddjob. I hope he gets a resurrection too!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    jobo wrote: »

I hope you're right! I was so satisfied with how Spectre the organization and Blofeld the character was presented, that I would hate it if it ended with one film. Spectre is Bond's archrival after all. Now that we have that perfect introduction and have the perfect actor in the role, it would be a crime just to leave it at that. Not to mention Bautista as well of course! Clearly the most memorable henchman in the modern era, one that could even rival the great classic ones like Red Grant and Oddjob. I hope he gets a resurrection too!

Yea if they had wanted Blofeld gone for good his defeat would have been more ummm permanent.

Don't shoot the messenger. I hated that critique too. But believe it or not I've read worse since then.

Just thought about another thing. Monica Belucci. She would have been the obvious sacrificial lamb in any other film, here they leave her fait in the open. Is that a clear hunch she will be back for more films? Hope so!
    jobo wrote: »
    Just thought about another thing. Monica Belucci. She would have been the obvious sacrificial lamb in any other film, here they leave her fait in the open. Is that a clear hunch she will be back for more films? Hope so!

Somehow I don't think so. I think they were playing with our expectations.
  • I think the sacrificial lamb in SP, is curiously enough, Mr. White.
    I wish they will explain more how Blofeld and the other previous 3 villians are connected. Blofeld only said that they were connected he never said how that bothers me.
    patb wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    It only works IMHO if you can explain the character's motivation for their behavior and we have yet to identify that. Could M have passed a USB stick to Bond as she died? Something she had just received and needed to pass on
    "Bond, a present for you", that give the writers no end of options later in terms of what was on the stick (CCTV, plans, etc) and two years to work it into the plot.
    Only Kincade would have possibly seen it so Moneypenny's line "You've got a secret " is still OK
    or , (sorry on a roll) M knew she was injured in the church so passed the USB stick to Kincade as she did not know if Bond had survived. At the start of Spectre, Kincade arrives at Bond's flat (hes a great character IMHO) and passes the stick back to Bond.

I got the impression that she had delivered it in the post? She knew that she was having to 'retire' and wouldn't be Bond's boss anymore. Seems plausible to me.

No, she says something about "if anything happens to me", the DVD was made as she was worried something would happen to her (I think death is the obvious reference plus Bond says, "in my mail box just after she died", implying death was the motivator for receiving the DVD) not retirement. So there is a guy who needs to be killed and his contacts at the funeral investigated (a serious international threat, not a bit part). Rather than tell someone whilst you are head of dept and alive, you dont tell anyone (including Bond) and arrange a third party to store the DVD and pass it to Bond following her death.

Fleming's dictum - move the plot along at such a pace that no one notices its idiosyncracies.
    I wish they will explain more how Blofeld and the other previous 3 villians are connected. Blofeld only said that they were connected he never said how that bothers me.

They're all part of SPECTRE as per Q's investigation. That's how they're connected, they were operating on either Blowers orders or through his lieutenant White.

Just saw it yesterday - it's good fun but it's rather perplexing and not even in the same parish of SF's quality. I don't think it quite gets there overall, there's some stuff that just plain doesn't work, chiefly the Denbeigh subplot (booooring, especially when we had the far more interesting Dowar Inquiry last time covering the same ground) and the third act simply isn't as good as the end of the 2nd, which would be a problem for any film. The action notably doesn't come from character, but I'm glad we've now got 2 Bond films with thematic through-lines... quite a novelty. Perhaps we can reach for a third.

Was it just me or was the Modigliani hanging above Swann's bed?

I think the sacrificial lamb in SP, is curiously enough, Mr. White.

Very good observation.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Very good observation.

also to cut all loose ends about Quantum.
  • dire399 wrote: »

Very good observation.

also to cut all loose ends about Quantum.

This is true!

FourDot wrote: »

They're all part of SPECTRE as per Q's investigation. That's how they're connected, they were operating on either Blowers orders or through his lieutenant White.

Just saw it yesterday - it's good fun but it's rather perplexing and not even in the same parish of SF's quality. I don't think it quite gets there overall, there's some stuff that just plain doesn't work, chiefly the Denbeigh subplot (booooring, especially when we had the far more interesting Dowar Inquiry last time covering the same ground) and the third act simply isn't as good as the end of the 2nd, which would be a problem for any film. The action notably doesn't come from character, but I'm glad we've now got 2 Bond films with thematic through-lines... quite a novelty. Perhaps we can reach for a third.

Was it just me or was the Modigliani hanging above Swann's bed?

Felt a bit to easy though, too just say they were members of Spectre, would of prefered some examples of how the things they did connected with the overall picture.

• It's being far too generous to the writers to say they were connecting quantum and spectre. They simply wanted to brush quantum under the carpet. There wasn't even a picture of Greene alongside the other baddies.

It's being far too generous to the writers to say they were connecting quantum and spectre. They simply wanted to brush quantum under the carpet. There wasn't even a picture of Greene alongside the other baddies.

This is true.

In the MI6 there are meant to be pictures of important figures in Bond's past so that's why Vesper and M are there. Silva I can understand as he killed M along with Mr White who was key in Vesper's betrayal/death and for his Madeline connections.

But Greene didn't really affect Bond's life in any way so that's why he's not there I presume? But if that's the case why is Le Chiffre there? He had nothing to do with the Vesper arc ultimately. Is smashing Bond's bollocks to buggery worthy of putting him up on the wall?

For me Yusef (who was presumably a SPECTRE agent? Or was he just a Quantum agent and unaware SPECTRE was really pulling their strings?) has a bigger claim to be there than Le Chiffre and Greene given how he snared Vesper in the first place.

But you are right that in their eagerness to pretend QOS never existed there are numerous things that don't make sense/aren't explained properly.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I think Greene was on Q's laptop, after he scanned the SPECTRE ring. So, there is that. In the main titles, Bond and his Bond girl are falling, which kind of reminds me of the god awful parachuting debacle in QoS. But as always you are right @TheWizardOfIce - plenty of references to the past Craig films, expect for QoS. Which is a shame, although I do understand it. (Personally I like QoS, but general public/critics don't. QoS is the black sheep of the Craig era - perhaps that why I like it - it's an underdog!)

And on to Obi/Blofeld and SPECTRE. He says he's the author of all Bond's pain, linking it the past villains. But it was never explained. Hopefully it will be explored in B25.

So, Spectre the film. I though it was big, epic, a true globe hoping adventure, a mission given to Bond by the deceased M, and without any of the emotional drama - an old school classic Bondian escapade. Just like I wanted.

So, comparing it to SF, which is inevitable I guess. Honestly, they are pretty neck and neck. I loved Bond's apathy in SF - I found it to be engrossing, SF takes a slight dip when it gets to London. Whilst SP does not suffer the same drop in quality in the 2nd half. I think this film is better than SF.

SF ended with that office, and I felt good leaving the cinema, similar to CR, and the classic "Bond, James Bond". They left one felling pumped. With SP's end scene, it was there. Very ambivalent.

In Fleming's Moonraker, Bond calculates that he has 24 tough assignments, before reaching the "mandatory retirement age".

And the gunbarrel was a the start! So yay!

royale65 wrote: »
    But as always you are right @TheWizardOfIce

Very shrewd of you to be such a wise judge of character.

If only more people round here could see the light like you have @royale65.