SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too though that Ben's Q would be gay ?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    RC7 wrote: »
    I genuinely believed it was Q that was in her bed.

I always assumed that Q, like Whishaw, was gay.

I don't think there is anything in his character that would make you think that other than the fact Ben is gay in real life. Nerdy yes, sarcastic yes, quirky yet, he's just a typical hipster in his dress sense and humour, but nothing obviously gay. I can totally see MP falling for his wit and intelligence.
    But she said it was her boss on the phone, if Q why not just
    say it was Bond ?
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512

I don't think there is anything in his character that would make you think that other than the fact Ben is gay in real life. Nerdy yes, sarcastic yes, quirky yet, he's just a typical hipster in his dress sense and humour, but nothing obviously gay. I can totally see MP falling for his wit and intelligence.

No, there's nothing in the character per se, I just assumed 'why not?'.
    say it was Bond ?

Yeah, I mean I think it's quite clear it's not Q.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    NicNac wrote: »

And finally, one thing that I failed to understand even after two viewings. Where did the net come from when Bond and Madeline jump through the collapsing building?

It was debris netting, to stop any falling debris hitting those on the ground floor.

Mallory wrote: »

And finally, one thing that I failed to understand even after two viewings. Where did the net come from when Bond and Madeline jump through the collapsing building?

It was debris netting, to stop any falling debris hitting those on the ground floor.

Yes you can see the netting, soon after Bond enters the building. He looks up to the top and the net is above his head.
  • RC7RC7

Yes you can see the netting, soon after Bond enters the building. He looks up to the top and the net is above his head.

Yes, it's deliberately flagged.
    Having it seen it a 2nd time this morning, I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than I did on the opening night.

It's not without it's problems though (but to be fair, very few Bond films aren't) and I do think the first half of the film, certainly up to the end of the scenes in Austria, is when SP is at it's strongest.

There's still some good stuff to enjoy in the second half of the film though - Bond/Hinx fight, ESB's torture chamber etc. but personally, it's when the action returns to London, that I think it begins to run out of steam. Would have much preferred to see ESB escape at the end rather than be captured.

EON may have backed themselves into a corner with regards to setting up an elaborate jailbreak in Bond 25 and obvious comparisons will be made to Silva in SF.

Having said that, it's still a very solid and very enjoyable Bond flick. I rate it a lot higher than QoS. Definitely still prefer CR and probably SF too.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

B'dum Chhh. Thanks chaps, missed that set up twice! I assumed I must have done.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    andmcit wrote: »
    When I saw SP the first time I was truly impressed yet on the second time I loved it even more. DC just is so effortless yet not smug/arrogant, something I have trouble with SC's later Bond.

I agree with this apart from Connery being smug. Connery's arrogance always had this element of humour to it so he always remained likable and entertaining. Your description of smugness best fits Brosnan the most out of all 6 actors imo.
    The review you should only take note of is your own once you have seen the movie.

No, there's nothing in the character per se, I just assumed 'why not?'.
    say it was Bond ?

Yeah, I mean I think it's quite clear it's not Q.

Talking of Q, anybody else enjoyed how he escaped death? Nice little bit of suspense: unlike Bond he's not a professional killer.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Still my fav Tweet of the year

wtafdg.png
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Still my fav Tweet of the year

wtafdg.png

Good to see Steven Toast and Jane 'its pronounced Pluff like Brian Clough' Plough getting in on the act too.

Did anyone see the Toast episode where he went for an audition to play Bond? Not quite Partridge's 'stop getting Bond wrong' rant but still quite funny.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

I think when Bond first enters the building you see the netting above him. That's why he says 'trust me' when they leap. He's already seen it on his way up through the building.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    A note on the cinematography. A lot of critics are claiming it's the best looking Bond film, but I have to say that I thought Skyfall had way better cinematography. Probably seeing it (SPECTRE) again tonight so will have a better idea. Anyone else think Skyfall was photographed better than SPECTRE?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I thought SF had better cinematography than SP.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think DN, OHMSS, MR, CR and SF top it.
    It looks great, probably the second-best looking Bond film, but Deakins works miracles.
    I also prefer the cinematography in SF to SP. I think the colours are too muted in this latest film.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    I think maybe the cinematography is different because SF was shot on digital & SP is on film, as movies I prefer SP to SF, I'd have been happier if SP had been shot digitally as I believe it's the future & gives better definition.
    & gives better definition.

It doesn't.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

This would be a pointless addition to the character if he was.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    FourDot wrote: »
    & gives better definition.

It doesn't.

Digital 4K certainaly does, because of the nature of film it is what you get, it can't be enhanced unless you digitally convert which begs the question, why bother, I spent 35 years in the graphical industry so I know my sh*t.
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »

This would be a pointless addition to the character if he was.

I don't think it really matters does it?
    Neither do I to be honest, but I think it would be a good step
    to have a gay character in the films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117

Why?

Given Q's sex life has had zero bearing on any plot for 53 years (save the voicebox thing he made in DAF 'for the kids') what purpose would it serve?

Bullshit PC for PC's sake.

How would it even work?

INT Q's LAB

Bond: Morning Q.
    Q: Right pay attention 007 - I've decided to come out of the closet as a homosexual.
    Bond: Homosexual? You're joking?
    Q: I never joke about my sexuality 007.
    Bond: Ok fair enough. So what? Do you have some gadgets for me as usual?
    Q: Yes. Here's your new Aston and watch.
    Bond: OK lets just carry on as normal then.

Utterly pointless.
  • RC7RC7

Why?

Given Q's sex life has had zero bearing on any plot for 53 years (save the voicebox thing he made in DAF 'for the kids') what would it add?

Bullshit PC for PC's sake.

How would it even work?

INT Q's LAB

Bond: Morning Q.
    Q: Right pay attention 007 - I've decided to come out of the closet as a homosexual.
    Bond: Homosexual? You're joking?
    Q: I never joke about my sexuality 007.
    Bond: Ok fair enough. So what? Do you have some gadgets for me as usual?
    Q: Yes. Here's your new Aston and watch.
    Bond: OK lets just carry on as normal then.

Utterly pointless.

I was thinking more along the lines of 007 asking him if he's free...
    Apologies in advance: ;)
    "Now pay attention 007, this may look like an ordinary butt plug..."