SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    andmcit wrote: »
    It's very telling I had absolutely no interest in going back after my first SF. I've only ever managed about 5 full viewings on DVD. SF's far too dour, miserable / downbeat and hugely overrated as well as the characters being irtitatingly too damned negligent in their duties as far as I'm concerned.

I was relieved by the time the credits rolled on SF and had no inclination whatsoever to go and watch it again. Not that it was awful - it just didn't have enough entertainment value & left me totally underwhelmed.

I'm hoping SP doesn't have this effect.

I've seen it twice and all I can think about is seeing it again. Which will be either tonight or tomorrow.

I've seen it twice now too but I don't want to burn myself out too quickly as I plan on seeing it at least 5 more times. Might catch my third showing on Friday or go on Halloween. Need to get me my Bond-Mexico skeleton outfit.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    doubleoego wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    andmcit wrote: »
    It's very telling I had absolutely no interest in going back after my first SF. I've only ever managed about 5 full viewings on DVD. SF's far too dour, miserable / downbeat and hugely overrated as well as the characters being irtitatingly too damned negligent in their duties as far as I'm concerned.

I was relieved by the time the credits rolled on SF and had no inclination whatsoever to go and watch it again. Not that it was awful - it just didn't have enough entertainment value & left me totally underwhelmed.

I'm hoping SP doesn't have this effect.

I've seen it twice and all I can think about is seeing it again. Which will be either tonight or tomorrow.

I've seen it twice now too but I don't want to burn myself out too quickly as I plan on seeing it at least 5 more times. Might catch my third showing on Friday or go on Halloween. Need to get me my Bond-Mexico skeleton outfit.

The mask is proving difficult to find in time for the weekend!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bounine wrote: »
    How successful Spectre will be remains to be seen but presuming it is, and I'm sure it will be, this is Bond afterall, I really don't think it would have been any less successful if it had have been darker like in the vein of CR and SF.

CR isn't darker than SP.

I'm really amazed by this misconception that CR is dark.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    How successful Spectre will be remains to be seen but presuming it is, and I'm sure it will be, this is Bond afterall, I really don't think it would have been any less successful if it had have been darker like in the vein of CR and SF.

CR isn't darker than SP.

I think the comment may refer to an important and meaningful character dying in both films (Vesper and M respectively), irrespective of the overall tone otherwise. It's only happened a couple of times (CR, SF & OHMSS).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,567
    One of my favourite moments from the film was
    that tinge of jealousy evident in Bond's face and voice when he realised Moneypenny had a man with her. Nice touch
  • RC7RC7

CR isn't darker than SP.

Agreed. It's a common misconception. The finale is a proper gut punch, but the rest of the movie is exhilarating and a joy. Even the torture scene, while being brutal, is not dark per se. I agree that SP has more of a (dark) haunting quality to it, which is totally intentional.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,384
    ;) yes, great little touch.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote: »
    that tinge of jealousy evident in Bond's face and voice when he realised Moneypenny had a man with her. Nice touch

Yeah, it was brilliant. Their relationship in this was really well done. Having not been a keen fan of her role in SF, I was glad to see her back.

Yeah, it was brilliant. Their relationship in this was really well done. Having not been a keen fan of her role in SF, I was glad to see her back.

Oh cripes, I'm a mod and I missed the fact it's a no spoilers thread. Quick use of spoiler tags!! X_X
  • RC7RC7

Oh cripes, I'm a mod and I missed the fact it's a no spoilers thread. Quick use of spoiler tags!! X_X

Ha ha I was going to say and then I saw you'd quickly edited it.
    Don't want to be starting any fights ........... Well not yet ! :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,879
    Yes, I come here to read reviews with no spoilers just to get the following things spoiled for me:
    Bond has gadget watch, Bond tortured by drill, Bond has car playlist, Bond checks out MP's boyfriend...
    Seriously guys, WTF? X( Also flagged some spoiler posts here two days ago and they're still not fixed.
    Loved every second of SP.

CR isn't darker than SP.

Agreed. It's a common misconception. The finale is a proper gut punch, but the rest of the movie is exhilarating and a joy. Even the torture scene, while being brutal, is not dark per se. I agree that SP has more of a (dark) haunting quality to it, which is totally intentional.

I found some of the atmosphere in SP very sinister indeed.

Can't wait for a Craig 4 film marathon and to really see and follow his journey from start to (potentially) finish.
    I can only apologise for my momentary lapse, sadly I have to put it
    down to " Schoolboy enthusiasm " :(
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Loved every second of SP.

CR isn't darker than SP.

I found some of the atmosphere in SP very sinister indeed.

Can't wait for a Craig 4 film marathon and to really see and follow his journey from start to (potentially) finish.

Sinister is certainly the right word. Yes, I can't wait to do the four films! It's a real shame it won't be out at christmas.
    You'd have thought they'd have tried to " Get them in the shops for Christmas Q" ;)
    Yes, @QBranch is quite right - my own lapse of concentration has made it clear that we all need to use this thread properly. Please remember

NO SPOILERS

on this thread.
    Having had 2 nights to sleep on it, by appreciation of the film has definitely grown. DC's performance is the absolute highlight of the film. He's quite simply superb. Seeing it again the week after next.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,382
    Crap, we still got 9 more days here in the states. I'm gonna see it opening night when I'm on vacation. cookie_monster_waiting.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Huge blue rats in Florida. Never knew that.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Heck yea, rats the size of cookie monsters down here.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Huge blue rats in Florida. Never knew that.

Yes but we'll dressed rats with jobs apparently.

That one seems to be slacking though ...waiting for a "cookie" break no doubt.

Bank cartel?
    I spent some time in Texas during the great cricket invasion of 2007
    I didn't know they played cricket in the US. ;)
    I spent some time in Texas during the great cricket invasion of 2007

Just to stay on topic.
    I was going in with anticipation expecting views and opinions about Spectre, and then I find it's all about well dressed, blue cookie monster rats in Texas...
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    jobo wrote: »
    I was going in with anticipation expecting views and opinions about Spectre, and then I find it's all about well dressed, blue cookie monster rats in Texas...

Sorry the crickets are in Texas and the blue rats are in Florida. Common mistake.

Crap, we still got 9 more days here in the states. I'm gonna see it opening night when I'm on vacation. cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Cookie Monster's in it. He tortures Bond mentally by crunching cookies while Bond is hungry.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Just read the Mark Kermode review on the Guardian website. Have to say I had exactly the same thought while watching SP. It felt very much like a Nolan movie in many places. I think SP perhaps makes it less likely that Nolan will direct a future Bond as we already have a Nolan style Bond movie.

Like SF, I think SP is probably too long and could have lost around 20-30 minutes. Mendes proves again to have only a shaky grasp of action and suspense, although SP is an improvement on SF.

Thought the title song and title sequence was pretty good. Smith's song may not be a classic but it's not as bad as some have made out.

Nice tracking shot in the PTS although the sequence is strangely unexciting (echoes of the SF PTS). Overall I much prefer the SP PTS though for pure style. The main culprit is Newman's soporiphic score.

Lots of nice moments and scenes. Q steals the show IMO.

Moneypenny is less annoying than in SF and it's nice to see M basically on Bond's side for once and little in the way of tedious trust issues.