'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Indeed. All right, I knew where the Doctor was as soon as I saw the box, but still, it was a nice little episode, with something for everyone.

And somehow, I don't want to know what Cass said to Clara (the untranslated part). Something tells me it was not very polite. BTW, Sophie Stone is going to be the next Marlee Matlin, and from me, that's high praise indeed.
    The Doctor is back and delivering. excellent.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I thought it was underwhelming, tbh. A pretty dull affair. Disappointing really, considering last weeks fantastic episode.

1. Under the Lake
    2. The Magician's Apprentice
    3. The Witch's Familiar
    4. Before the Flood
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    After last weeks superb 1st part, I too found Before the Flood underwhelming. Also what was the point of that opening theme. It wasn't all that different.

1. Under The Lake
    2. Before The Flood
    3. The Witch's Familiar
    4. The Magician's Apprentice
    I never got the appeal of breaking the fourth wall in TV and film. It just takes me out of the experience. I mean, it's not like the pre-credits scene was even necessary.
  • It was an OK episode, but I agree it was underwhelming compared to the first half. Not much happened until the last 10 minutes or so and the ending felt a little rushed.
    Watching it hopefully later?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I enjoyed the latest episode, completely different to the first part. Loving this series so far.....
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Have enjoyed all episodes so far this season - which is more than I can say for Season 8. Actually loved the fourth wall, guitar playing over the intro scene.
    Capaldi is a great Doctor and let's hope the rest of the season plays out as good. Next week we find out (or do we?) who Maisie Williams' character is. Love her in GoT, great little actress.
    A very odd ending to the latest episode?
    Have to say the first four episodes of season 9 have been good, vast improvement on last season. I am starting to warm to Capaldi.
    Really looking forward to tonight's episode! Should be fun! :D
    Fun it was. Too bad BRIAN BLESSED ! didn't play the bad guy (he was asked to do it, but fell ill). But other than that, it was a really good episode. This series is shaping up to be one of the best ever. And it was nice to see Maisie Williams doing something else than murdering people. Something tells me that down the line, the Doctor will regret his last actions in this episode, and he knows it.

BTW : Ashildr and Jack Harkness ? Good idea for a team-up, no?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That was a great episode, is was co-written by Jamie Mathieson (who wrote last years Flatline). Not only did they work in a 3rd Doctor reference ("Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", but did I pick up a Harry Callaghan reference too ("You've got to ask yourself one question.[snip]"

1. Under The Lake
    2. The Girl Who Died
    3. Before The Flood
    4. The Witch's Familiar
    5. The Magician's Apprentice
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not a bad episode at all- the ending was superb. Can't wait to see what happens from here.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This episode was great and again, I can't wait to find out what are the consequences in the next episode.
    Really enjoyed the last episode, be interesting to see how this plays out over the remaining episodes of the series?
  • DariusDarius UK
    Hmmm... I've been a Dr Who fan since "An Unearthly Child" and I've loved the series ever since, so I'm loathe to say anything against it. However, after much soul searching, I do feel I have to speak up about "The Girl Who Died".

Aside from having a syntactically dubious choice of relative pronoun in the title, this episode disappointed me for the following reasons:

1. We have the Doctor and Clara land in Viking Britain -- okay, no problem with that. The Doctor and Clara defeat invading alien forces by using Ashildr, the village's storyteller, to deceive them into leaving -- okay, roger that, except why didn't the Doctor do this himself, rather than put a member of the village at risk? After all, the Doctor seems to have a more sturdy constitution than humans -- a fact he often points out.

2. As it turns out, this manoeuvre kills Ashildr and the Doctor then happens to have handy not one, but two devices that will miraculously bring her back to life and grant her immortality. This device was not foreshadowed in any way (sloppy plotting) and as such, shatters credibility by being a blatant piece of deus ex machina storytelling.

3. The Doctor's reference to Caecilus in the "Fires of Pompeii" was not needed and came over as highly contrived. The similarity between the Doctor and Caecilus should just have been ignored. There was no reason to make this connection as it belies the fifth Doctor's comment: "That's the trouble with regeneration... you're never sure what you're going to get." The Doctor doesn't choose a face upon regeneration -- he gets what he's given! For goodness sake, Moffat, stop reinventing the series at a whim just to make sense of things that are better left alone!

I have to say, I've been somewhat disappointed in Steven Moffat's tenure of Series Director. Whilst the Twelfth Doctor is easily one of the best, if not the best, the story lines tend to veer from the outrageously and ridiculously bizarre to little gems of genius (such as the first two episodes of this season).

Despite some very good Moffat-led stories, I sometimes find myself thinking: "Come back Russell T. Davies, all is forgiven."
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This last episode was a bit meh, wasn't it?
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    You put it a lot more succinctly than me, @Sandy, but essentially yes, "meh" sums up last week's episode.

Having just watched this evening's episode, which is a continuation of last week's, I felt the material was better, but I was somewhat disappointed by Maisie Williams' performance. I must be one of the few people in the western world that hasn't seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, so I wasn't familiar with her work until now and I found her performance in "The Woman Who lived" to be lacklustre in the extreme. The delivery of her lines was wooden and without feeling and I couldn't help thinking that someone from my village amateur dramatics company could have done better. This is a shame really because a she had a very good and well-written part that really deserved a better performance than this. The phrase "phoning it in" springs to mind.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    @MayDayDiVincenzo

Oh no, please no!

Honestly, Dr Who has been crying out for a full feature movie treatment for so long now and this annoying little toe-rag gets the gig instead!
    Somethings just don't need to happen, and an animated K-9 going up against Omega is one of them.

So let me get this straight...
    A movie for a non-canon, not to mention critically panned Doctor Who spinoff about the tin dog can get made. A spin off about a school that appeared in less than 10 stories can get made. But a Doctor who has had only 93 minutes of screen time can't get a miniseries...
    :-? I just don't get it...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11955345/ITVs-Jekyll-and-Hyde-attracts-nearly-500-complaints.html
    Itv's latest attempt for a Dr Who type show with " Jekyll & Hyde" has had over 500
    Complaints.
    The Woman who lived was pretty dreadfull, not sure Moffat cares about this show on the back of episodes like this.
    I liked this episode about immortality and how to handle this, quite topical with the Doctor being plus 1200 years old.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 112
    http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-tenth-doctor-adventures
    The 10th Doctor and Donna join Big Finish! :D
  • I liked The Woman who Lived, a lot better than The Girl who Died at least. The alien subplot was pretty dumb though. But the character study was great.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11955345/ITVs-Jekyll-and-Hyde-attracts-nearly-500-complaints.html
    Itv's latest attempt for a Dr Who type show with " Jekyll & Hyde" has had over 500
    Complaints.

I've seen the first episode in Cardiff. Not bad. Not bad at all. BTW, we'll see the actress who plays the love interest in the "Sherlock" Christmas special.

Oh, and I liked "The Woman Who Lived".